PDA

View Full Version : New windshield and the rain...

TopDownInFL
12-28-2011, 09:39 AM
I've had 2 6ers before this one and this is the first one I'm having issues with rain and the windshield. The wipers smear the water every time and when I use some stuff similar to Rain-x to fill in the pores in the glass to create a completely smooth surface (so the water just beads off on its own without needing the wipers) it doesn't work at all.

I'm wondering if anyone else uses Rain-x (or equivalent) and is having the same issues.

roadsta
12-28-2011, 01:04 PM
I haven't really driven in rain yet, so I can't comment, but the winshield is supposedly 'special'. In the handbook, in the section under Head-up Display it states:

Special Windshield

The windshield is part of the system...
...therefore have the special windshield replaced by a service centre only"

I can't see how this would inpact the outside surface of the w/shield, but you never know.

And yes, I can imagine what replacing one of these at the 'service centre' will cost....

roadsta

Ilovemycar
12-28-2011, 01:58 PM
I've had 2 6ers before this one and this is the first one I'm having issues with rain and the windshield. The wipers smear the water every time and when I use some stuff similar to Rain-x to fill in the pores in the glass to create a completely smooth surface (so the water just beads off on its own without needing the wipers) it doesn't work at all.

I'm wondering if anyone else uses Rain-x (or equivalent) and is having the same issues.

The best product for this that I know of is Aquapel. The removal immediately after application does take a little bit of elbow grease. It's not a silicone filler or whatever that RainX might be, but is a resin that bonds to glass, and was originally developed by, yes, PPG. I've read this is what they use on airplanes too. In my limited experiences with it, it doesn't really "kick in" until about 50mph, at which point, I don't even need to use my wipers at all. Buying in bulk saves considerably. I've even seen people say it makes knocking off ice during the winter all the easier as well.

Before doing so, I'd clean it real good (clay, vinegar, lemon, etc), and perhaps even polish the glass (you're mentioning pores so I just wonder, but then hmmm this is so new so maybe not). If you ever do polish the glass, you want a cerium oxide product. You take special care not to overheat the glass when using a machine so that you don't optically distort the laminated windshield. Hope this helps, and good luck.

XZLR8
12-30-2011, 02:00 PM

I haven't put any products on the windshield, but I, too, have noticed the "smearing" that you mention. I wondered if my wiper blades were defective.

roadsta
12-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Finally, a drive in the pouring rain that this part of Australia can deliver in summer...

The wipers worked well, not better than I am used to, but fine.

What do you mean by 'smear'?

roadsta

TopDownInFL
12-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Finally, a drive in the pouring rain that this part of Australia can deliver in summer...

The wipers worked well, not better than I am used to, but fine.

What do you mean by 'smear'?

roadsta

Been down under once - Flew into Brisbane, stayed in Surfers Paradise for a week and flew out of Sydney. Wonderful people, you Aussies.

The smearing is literally taking the water and creating a very thin smear of the water across the glass surface. It evaporates moments later, but it is a visual impairment.