PDA

View Full Version : A nice long drive...

roadsta
12-30-2011, 09:52 PM
I finally had reason to take the car on a longish drive and thought I'd share some thoughts and numbers.

The trip was about 10% slow city, 10% slowish country road, 80% freeway. On the freeway, I stuck to the limit of 100-110 kmh or 62-70 mph. Only one or two good accelerations, as I took on-ramps. ;) Two people in the car, very little luggage.

This car is one fine cruiser. I tried the Comfort + setting, great for straight steady cruising, but mostly left it in Comfort mode. In Sports mode, even at 110 / 70 mph it, the box does not engage 8th gear, but stays in 7th. To be expected. I liked the steering best in Sports mode.

I really liked the ventilated comfort seats, I had the air-con on all the time.

The graphics of the head-up display that the NAV system uses, is clear and large. Looks great, easy on the eye.

I was amazed at the economy though. While I did not buy this car for economy, I was nevertheless curious. See the photos below. The second one in imperial is UK mpg, the equivalent in US is 26.7 mpg.

I have done this exact trip many times in my previous E93 335i, and it did it only about 5% more economical. I did not quite expect this from the V8.

Anyway, a fun drive which confirmed in my mind: I bought well. :D

Happy new year all.

roadsta

TopDownInFL
12-31-2011, 07:25 AM
We're right there with you! I drive 50 miles to work daily and the car is very comfortable for longer trips. Even with some "spirited" city driving, I'm still getting 21mpg.

thom.one.two
01-01-2012, 10:09 PM
I haven't taken mine out yet, but in-city only driving has yielded about 14 MPG. I keep it in Sport Mode, though.