PDA

View Full Version : Wheel stolen from my driveway. Theft prevention tips.

M5canes
01-02-2012, 07:30 PM

I have now placed 2 different wheel locks on EACH wheel. Not sure it's enough but my car has been targeted twice in 2 weeks. My garage is built out.

Any tips on further deterring these low lives? I'm installing motion sensing cameras tommorrow along with motion lighting.

Sigh...

thom.one.two
01-02-2012, 07:46 PM
A ****ing shot gun. Man, I am sick just looking at that picture.

isildain
01-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Use the shotgun only if the big ****ing dog doesn't get them! I'd be checking e-bay to see if any of these wheels come up in a listing. Unfortunately, locks only keep honest people honest.

AMIL
01-02-2012, 11:26 PM
wtf why only one wheel?

ah9999
01-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news, nightmare situation ...... on the basis they know you'll replace with new wheels/tyres, I'm guessing they'll be back again to try and take the new set :(

I'd go for some simple, affordable and obvious home security measures.....

(1) Motion activated halogen lights covering the driveway - mounted out of reach

(2) Motion activated camera like you've mentioned - again out of reach but obvious

Quick question - when they took your wheels/tyres did they already have locking wheel bolts fitted?

.....if they did, I wonder how they got them off without creating a lot of noise and potential damage to the wheels

Side note, wheel theft has been a continual problem in the UK for a while now - hence why BMW (and most other manufacturers) fit lockings wheels bolts as standard. Security has become so good on cars now, the low life will break into peoples homes to get the keys !?!? (whether you're at home or not)

Itinj6
01-03-2012, 01:59 AM
D*ckless mutha effers...

I'm glad they at least left the rotor sitting on a block. I had a Navy buddy get all four of his wheels stolen and they left the car sitting on the chassis... On a US Naval Base!!!

roadsta
01-03-2012, 03:19 AM
Disgusting. These bastards are a good argument for birth control...

Hope your deterent plans work.

roadsta

car-fan
01-03-2012, 09:51 PM
A ****ing shot gun. Man, I am sick just looking at that picture.

+1000

Don't these cars have tilt sensors - I mean that's some brazen stuff, especially in your drive way. I would have to conduct my own surveillance:violent:

How well do you know your neighbors? Any "haters" in your neighborhood?

EmM HoLLa
01-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Unbelievable.. Shotgun it is...

NYC Faloochi745
01-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Build a fence around your cars and have some Dobermans/Rottweilers on patrol, some cameras and stuff. People are such losers

danny929
01-04-2012, 08:22 AM
On my old m3, they broke my window, found the key for the wheels inside and then jacked my rims in my driveway. Its a terrible feeling, i constantly check my car in the middle of the night out of paranoia.

I now suggest putting on 2 different sets of wheel locks, one oem and one after market. Hide the key to the lock in a spot they cant access

southern6er22
01-04-2012, 09:28 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This makes me sick. I'm definitely thinking about getting a second set of wheel locks.

The car should have a tilt alarm system that activates with the central alarm. I'm interested in why this didn't trigger. I would check with the dealer about this (maybe there are different sensitivities for the system?).

Elias
01-04-2012, 07:09 PM
I use to live in Miami this stuff goes on everywhere down there no one is safe I had someone try to steal my Trans-Am right in my drive way in South Dade! I would definately check into the alarm why it didn't go off that really sucks!!

anythingbuttime
01-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Mine defintiely has a tilt sensor, and a sensitive one. The first pump of the jack and it was going off, I can't imagine how they got yours up without setting it off...

Leslierc
01-05-2012, 04:36 AM
It's gotten to the point that you have to lock everything up. I'm very sorry this happened to you! When you say that your car has been targeted twice, do you mean that there have been multiple vandalisms? !!! Damn! You're doing what I would do, especially doing the custom wheel locks, motion sensors, and the cameras. Spending a part of my youth living in NYC and watching what happened to my Dad's convertible (multiple occassions of vandalism) I realized that there is only so much you can do. I know people whose cars have been valdalized while parked inside their home garage! I know it's been said here in jest, but never consider using your gun to protect personal property outside of your home...it wouldn't be considered self-defense. By the way, theft of BMW wheels is more rampant than you might think. I was recently warned about this type of thing happening where I live.

Amanintown
01-05-2012, 08:21 AM
On my old m3, they broke my window, found the key for the wheels inside and then jacked my rims in my driveway. Its a terrible feeling, i constantly check my car in the middle of the night out of paranoia.

I now suggest putting on 2 different sets of wheel locks, one oem and one after market. Hide the key to the lock in a spot they cant access

I agree, sorry to see those pics man. I have been in the same situation so I know, make sure you have insurance with no deductible and this may be a good excuse to get a custom set of wheels, also, when you park make sure you park really close to wall and turn your front wheels all the way, this makes it harder for them or so I have heard.....

Amanintown
01-05-2012, 08:22 AM

I have now placed 2 different wheel locks on EACH wheel. Not sure it's enough but my car has been targeted twice in 2 weeks. My garage is built out.

Any tips on further deterring these low lives? I'm installing motion sensing cameras tommorrow along with motion lighting.

Sigh...

I see that you have another white 5 series parked next to it...may be park them really close, has that been vandalized as well? :mad:

K-A
01-06-2012, 03:33 AM
Damn! That's horrible. I wonder why only 1 wheel????

svp66
01-07-2012, 10:09 AM
This is terrible, I hate thieves, they should be all shot in my opinion... I suppose there is no way to put them in a covered garage...

mawana
01-07-2012, 10:38 AM
wtf why only one wheel?

+1! You must have pissed some motherf**rs real bad! Inexcusable, but did you flip somebody on the road lately?

Itinj6
01-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Owning a new Sixxer, fresh out the box, will alone piss some people off...

Cars
03-20-2012, 02:11 AM
this is ****ed up, a buddy's girlfriend, had these 10,000 dollars AC wheels on her M3, all four got stolen over night and left on bricks like your car, it was sick and scary to look at.

when asked, he said he forgot to put the wheel locks on after switching from winter wheels

how about you? how could they bypass the wheel lock, even if they had some kinda "universal fit" lock, how can your car didn't make a sound with that amazing BMW alarm? motion, sonic and tilt sensors, the thing I really like to know is how did they do this.

oh btw, never use OEM wheel locks, they are one size fits all, just look at the design. use these http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575303