PDA

View Full Version : Wheel stolen from my driveway. Theft prevention tips.

M5canes
01-02-2012, 07:30 PM

I have now placed 2 different wheel locks on EACH wheel. Not sure it's enough but my car has been targeted twice in 2 weeks. My garage is built out.

Any tips on further deterring these low lives? I'm installing motion sensing cameras tommorrow along with motion lighting.

Sigh...

thom.one.two
01-02-2012, 07:46 PM
A ****ing shot gun. Man, I am sick just looking at that picture.

isildain
01-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Use the shotgun only if the big ****ing dog doesn't get them! I'd be checking e-bay to see if any of these wheels come up in a listing. Unfortunately, locks only keep honest people honest.

AMIL
01-02-2012, 11:26 PM
wtf why only one wheel?

ah9999
01-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news, nightmare situation ...... on the basis they know you'll replace with new wheels/tyres, I'm guessing they'll be back again to try and take the new set :(

I'd go for some simple, affordable and obvious home security measures.....

(1) Motion activated halogen lights covering the driveway - mounted out of reach

(2) Motion activated camera like you've mentioned - again out of reach but obvious

Quick question - when they took your wheels/tyres did they already have locking wheel bolts fitted?

.....if they did, I wonder how they got them off without creating a lot of noise and potential damage to the wheels

Side note, wheel theft has been a continual problem in the UK for a while now - hence why BMW (and most other manufacturers) fit lockings wheels bolts as standard. Security has become so good on cars now, the low life will break into peoples homes to get the keys !?!? (whether you're at home or not)

Itinj6
01-03-2012, 01:59 AM
D*ckless mutha effers...

I'm glad they at least left the rotor sitting on a block. I had a Navy buddy get all four of his wheels stolen and they left the car sitting on the chassis... On a US Naval Base!!!

roadsta
01-03-2012, 03:19 AM
Disgusting. These bastards are a good argument for birth control...

Hope your deterent plans work.

roadsta

car-fan
01-03-2012, 09:51 PM
A ****ing shot gun. Man, I am sick just looking at that picture.

+1000

Don't these cars have tilt sensors - I mean that's some brazen stuff, especially in your drive way. I would have to conduct my own surveillance:violent:

How well do you know your neighbors? Any "haters" in your neighborhood?

EmM HoLLa
01-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Unbelievable.. Shotgun it is...

NYC Faloochi745
01-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Build a fence around your cars and have some Dobermans/Rottweilers on patrol, some cameras and stuff. People are such losers

danny929
01-04-2012, 08:22 AM
On my old m3, they broke my window, found the key for the wheels inside and then jacked my rims in my driveway. Its a terrible feeling, i constantly check my car in the middle of the night out of paranoia.

I now suggest putting on 2 different sets of wheel locks, one oem and one after market. Hide the key to the lock in a spot they cant access

southern6er22
01-04-2012, 09:28 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This makes me sick. I'm definitely thinking about getting a second set of wheel locks.

The car should have a tilt alarm system that activates with the central alarm. I'm interested in why this didn't trigger. I would check with the dealer about this (maybe there are different sensitivities for the system?).

Elias
01-04-2012, 07:09 PM
I use to live in Miami this stuff goes on everywhere down there no one is safe I had someone try to steal my Trans-Am right in my drive way in South Dade! I would definately check into the alarm why it didn't go off that really sucks!!

anythingbuttime
01-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Mine defintiely has a tilt sensor, and a sensitive one. The first pump of the jack and it was going off, I can't imagine how they got yours up without setting it off...

Leslierc
01-05-2012, 04:36 AM
It's gotten to the point that you have to lock everything up. I'm very sorry this happened to you! When you say that your car has been targeted twice, do you mean that there have been multiple vandalisms? !!! Damn! You're doing what I would do, especially doing the custom wheel locks, motion sensors, and the cameras. Spending a part of my youth living in NYC and watching what happened to my Dad's convertible (multiple occassions of vandalism) I realized that there is only so much you can do. I know people whose cars have been valdalized while parked inside their home garage! I know it's been said here in jest, but never consider using your gun to protect personal property outside of your home...it wouldn't be considered self-defense. By the way, theft of BMW wheels is more rampant than you might think. I was recently warned about this type of thing happening where I live.

Amanintown
01-05-2012, 08:21 AM
On my old m3, they broke my window, found the key for the wheels inside and then jacked my rims in my driveway. Its a terrible feeling, i constantly check my car in the middle of the night out of paranoia.

I now suggest putting on 2 different sets of wheel locks, one oem and one after market. Hide the key to the lock in a spot they cant access

I agree, sorry to see those pics man. I have been in the same situation so I know, make sure you have insurance with no deductible and this may be a good excuse to get a custom set of wheels, also, when you park make sure you park really close to wall and turn your front wheels all the way, this makes it harder for them or so I have heard.....

Amanintown
01-05-2012, 08:22 AM

I have now placed 2 different wheel locks on EACH wheel. Not sure it's enough but my car has been targeted twice in 2 weeks. My garage is built out.

Any tips on further deterring these low lives? I'm installing motion sensing cameras tommorrow along with motion lighting.

Sigh...

I see that you have another white 5 series parked next to it...may be park them really close, has that been vandalized as well? :mad:

K-A
01-06-2012, 03:33 AM
Damn! That's horrible. I wonder why only 1 wheel????

svp66
01-07-2012, 10:09 AM
This is terrible, I hate thieves, they should be all shot in my opinion... I suppose there is no way to put them in a covered garage...

mawana
01-07-2012, 10:38 AM
wtf why only one wheel?

+1! You must have pissed some motherf**rs real bad! Inexcusable, but did you flip somebody on the road lately?

Itinj6
01-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Owning a new Sixxer, fresh out the box, will alone piss some people off...

Cars
03-20-2012, 02:11 AM
this is ****ed up, a buddy's girlfriend, had these 10,000 dollars AC wheels on her M3, all four got stolen over night and left on bricks like your car, it was sick and scary to look at.

when asked, he said he forgot to put the wheel locks on after switching from winter wheels

how about you? how could they bypass the wheel lock, even if they had some kinda "universal fit" lock, how can your car didn't make a sound with that amazing BMW alarm? motion, sonic and tilt sensors, the thing I really like to know is how did they do this.

oh btw, never use OEM wheel locks, they are one size fits all, just look at the design. use these http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575303

sean.miamiheat
07-01-2014, 07:57 PM
My mom had her Escalade with wheel locks from the factory, but unfortunately left the wheel lock key in the glove box. One night, they smashed the window and found the key, stole all 4 wheels.

In 2014, mom bought a 2014 740Li, about a month after having it, they literally opened the driver door like a can of tuna and disabled the alarm. Luckily I never kept the wheel lock key in the car after learning, so they walked away empty handed, but mom was left w/o 740 for 2 months.

I could tell from the photos that you are in S. Florida, car/wheel thefts are pretty big here with all the high-end cars. Out of curiosity, what part of Miami are you in? My cars were targeted 3 times within 6 months. I live in Kendall near Town & Country Mall.

Some tips:
- install wheel locks AND keep the wheel lock key either at your house or on you in a briefcase.
- never leave anything in your vehicle, not even visible loose change or iPhone cable
- Park near the center of your driveway, if your driveway is circular, park close to directly in front of the front door. (Make the driver door face the front door so that the robbers back is facing the front door if he tries the driver door (they do not like having their back turned toward the house.
- Turn on all your lights on the front of your house. The halogen flood/spot lights work great and can be adjusted to point to your car.
- Keep landscaping trimmed (it provides less place to hind and light will go through shorter/trimmed landscaping easier.
- If you have a BMW, check for the clown nose blinking EVERY NIGHT.
- If you have a garage, park the most expensive car in it overnight.
- Never leave registration papers or personal info papers in the car. If your car gets stolen/broken into outside of your house, they know where you live and can tell if you have $.
- Make sure your Bimmer has anti-theft alarm. My 2014 328i has it as an option, yet the X1, which is cheaper, has it standard, that I will never understand.

Hope this helps.

dkreidel
07-03-2014, 08:47 AM
Unbelievable.. Shotgun it is...

Thread back from the dead but my shotty of choice: FNH SLP Mk 1 with 8+1 of 00 ... should do the trick.

dunderhi
07-03-2014, 10:02 PM
Thread back from the dead but my shotty of choice: FNH SLP Mk 1 with 8+1 of 00 ... should do the trick.

I like your choice. My home protection shotgun is the Remington Versa Max Tactical with 7+1 3" shells comprised of 5 rounds of #1 and 3 rounds of #00 buckshot.

sean.miamiheat
07-04-2014, 10:07 AM
FNH makes some excellent shotguns. My personal choice: Benelli M4 Tactical. Backup: Glock 19 w/ Trijicons.

TopDownInFL
07-05-2014, 07:26 AM
Sorry to hear. Time to clean out that garage and get your cars in.

Mine is garage kept for this very reason - it stands out.

mrjoed2
07-06-2014, 06:46 AM
It's gotten to the point that you have to lock everything up. I'm very sorry this happened to you! When you say that your car has been targeted twice, do you mean that there have been multiple vandalisms? !!! Damn! You're doing what I would do, especially doing the custom wheel locks, motion sensors, and the cameras. Spending a part of my youth living in NYC and watching what happened to my Dad's convertible (multiple occassions of vandalism) I realized that there is only so much you can do. I know people whose cars have been valdalized while parked inside their home garage! I know it's been said here in jest, but never consider using your gun to protect personal property outside of your home...it wouldn't be considered self-defense. By the way, theft of BMW wheels is more rampant than you might think. I was recently warned about this type of thing happening where I live.

Leslierc,

Not necessarily true on gun issue. You have to know your state's specific laws on self defense as all are different. As I am a NRA instructor here in FL. I know ours well. If I was to confront a burglary suspect in the act ( as this wheel theft would be) on my property, and I felt threatened in any way I may use force up to lethal under our excellent "Stand your ground" law. All I have to say is the perpetrator approached me with that socket wrench and he is going to find out exactly how the UZI, Galil .308 ARM, or Benelli M4 earned their reputations.

luigi524td
07-06-2014, 06:48 AM
Move - obviously the have not's in your area want what you have!

mrjoed2
07-06-2014, 06:57 AM
FNH makes some excellent shotguns. My personal choice: Benelli M4 Tactical. Backup: Glock 19 w/ Trijicons.

Good shotgun choice. BTW - Trijicon makes Tritium's for the M4 - put them on my and are excellent. And my recommendation would be to upgrade the handgun to a G23. .40 is a much more effective round. I actually prefer the HK USP compact .45 with night sights and Streamlight rail mounted light/laser. Same on my M4 as well. SIG P229 another great choice.

ShakeDaddy
07-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Sorry to hear. Time to clean out that garage and get your cars in.

Mine is garage kept for this very reason - it stands out.

+1

What an idea. Organize your garage for your 100K Sport Car. ??? :beerchug:

sean.miamiheat
07-06-2014, 12:34 PM
I also dig the HK USPc 9mm with +Ps. The MR223/556 is my favorite AR15 platform. I like .40 but I feel it is just too "snappy" compared to 9mm, creating slower follow up shots. And 9mm is slightly cheaper and always available at my local gun store. I feel that the new 9mm +Ps are incredible. I like 9 because it offers the best balance IMO of power, capacity, weight, and availability.

mrjoed2
07-06-2014, 01:04 PM
All good choices. The Colt M4 and SIG 556 platforms are all excellent. Plenty of variations and mod choices available. 9mm is a good round, don't get me wrong. But keep in mind when you go with +P ammo your increasing recoil and wear/tear on the gun as well. .40 S&W's are basically already a high pressure round. Agree that more training time is called for with .40, but the ballistics are worth it IMO. Larger, heavier bullet with approx 20% greater energy. And capacity loss or usually 1 or 2 rounds is a good tradeoff. Good example is my Springfield XDm .40 compact. 11 round standard mag, with 16 round extended included. 17 rds of .40 is alot of firepower in a small package. I also will say one of my favorite backups is the Kahr PM9. Terrific tiny 9mm.

mrjoed2
07-06-2014, 01:06 PM
+1

For sure Shake, my 650 is NEVER left outside when not in use.

ShakeDaddy
07-06-2014, 03:23 PM
For sure Shake, my 650 is NEVER left outside when not in use.

As it should be Joe.

After all, maybe purchasing IS the way to go. :thumbup:

Leslierc
07-06-2014, 04:21 PM
Leslierc,

Not necessarily true on gun issue. You have to know your state's specific laws on self defense as all are different. As I am a NRA instructor here in FL. I know ours well. If I was to confront a burglary suspect in the act ( as this wheel theft would be) on my property, and I felt threatened in any way I may use force up to lethal under our excellent "Stand your ground" law. All I have to say is the perpetrator approached me with that socket wrench and he is going to find out exactly how the UZI, Galil .308 ARM, or Benelli M4 earned their reputations.

Until the State's Attorney sees your post. Personally, and this is just my opinion, "Stand Your Ground" is an invitation to mayhem for sociopaths and wannabes. [I am not suggesting that you fall into that category.]

ShakeDaddy
07-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Until the State's Attorney sees your post. Personally, and this is just my opinion, "Stand Your Ground" is an invitation to mayhem for sociopaths and wannabes. [I am not suggesting that you fall into that category.]

I would say, "Stand Your Ground" is working well with 23 states onboard and more to come.

Personally, I would rather, "Stand My Ground", than Run. :thumbup:

mrjoed2
07-06-2014, 05:09 PM

No offense but according to who is our law and that of many other states a invitation to trouble? Just like when Florida in 1987 passed the first "shall" issue concealed carry law in the USA, the liberals and anti-gunners predicted blood flowing in the streets. Guess what- our violent crime rate has fallen since it's passage. And 40+ other states have followed our lead.

And what's wrong with Stand your ground? Why should I or any other law abiding citizen have to be subjected to attack, robbery, assault, carjacking, home invasion, ect or have to retreat from some scumbag lowlife? The right to self defense and our 2nd amendment is something truly to be than thankful for in this country, and is a worth fighting for.

Leslierc
07-06-2014, 05:49 PM
And what's wrong with Stand your ground? Why should I or any other law abiding citizen have to be subjected to attack, robbery, assault, carjacking, home invasion, ect or have to retreat from some scumbag lowlife? The right to self defense and our 2nd amendment is something truly to be than thankful for in this country, and is a worth fighting for.

Like I said, I was stating my opinion. I also support the right of self defense, which has been recognized in the law as a legal right throughout the history of our country. In my opinion, the risk of SYG is that self defense becomes offense for certain minded people. As you said, all one has to say is that someone came at them with what appeared to be a weapon. After all, there is only going to be one story. By the way, I happen to believe that the founding fathers did not intend the Second Amendment to support everyone's right to a gun. They feared the unchecked power of a standing army and sought another means of providing for the protection of communities and settlements...why militia is associated with the Second Amendment.

TopDownInFL
07-06-2014, 07:35 PM
+1

Seriously.

You have no idea what a challenge it is. :thumbup:

mrjoed2
07-06-2014, 08:22 PM
Like I said, I was stating my opinion. I also support the right of self defense, which has been recognized in the law as a legal right throughout the history of our country. In my opinion, the risk of SYG is that self defense becomes offense for certain minded people. As you said, all one has to say is that someone came at them with what appeared to be a weapon. After all, there is only going to be one story. By the way, I happen to believe that the founding fathers did not intend the Second Amendment to support everyone's right to a gun. They feared the unchecked power of a standing army and sought another means of providing for the protection of communities and settlements...why militia is associated with the Second Amendment.

Sure we all have our opinions. But your point about who has a right to own a gun is pretty scary. Who would you have decide, politicians or bureaucrats perhaps? Is that not what the constitution and the amendments mean - that they apply to all Americans equally? And exactly how do you know what our founding fathers intended?

But thankfully the US supreme court ruled decisively in 2008(Heller) & 2010(McDonald) that the second amendment applies to ALL INDIVIDUALS not the militia or a standing army. So the issue was settled. Of course convicted felons & people adjudicated mentally incompetent cannot legally own firearms, as it should be. And BTW no other person's opinion or beliefs will ever trample my rights.

mrjoed2
07-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Seriously.

You have no idea what a challenge it is. :thumbup:

I'm with Shake on this 100% I mean come on - bringing home a top of the line BMW and don't make room in the garage ? I used the time after ED to clean it out, paint the floor, install a laser parking sensor and install a new garage door seal.

And not just for security - why would anybody leave a new $90,000 car out in the weather if they didn't have to?

Leslierc
07-07-2014, 02:36 AM
Sure we all have our opinions. But your point about who has a right to own a gun is pretty scary. Who would you have decide, politicians or bureaucrats perhaps? Is that not what the constitution and the amendments mean - that they apply to all Americans equally? And exactly how do you know what our founding fathers intended?

But thankfully the US supreme court ruled decisively in 2008(Heller) & 2010(McDonald) that the second amendment applies to ALL INDIVIDUALS not the militia or a standing army. So the issue was settled. Of course convicted felons & people adjudicated mentally incompetent cannot legally own firearms, as it should be. And BTW no other person's opinion or beliefs will ever trample my rights.

I wasn't trying to trample your rights. I am merely exercising mine under the First Amendment. You've inferred a lot about me that isn't accurate, but also isn't worth arguing over. I believe that anything can be discussed intelligently, including Supreme Court decisions. The last time I checked, SCOTUS wasn't infallible either...the Dredd Scott and Plessy decisions come to mind. By the way, I think it is naive to believe that politicians do not decide or influence the issues affecting society. It's the politicians who propose regulations, make laws, and appoint federal judges. And, yes, the Constitution of the United States should be applicable to all Americans equally. Frankly, I believe that there is no nobler pursuit for government and citizens than to apply the Constitution and laws of our country to everyone equally, including the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

jayb328i
07-07-2014, 02:52 AM

Sigh...

You do not live in Virginia or Houston, so the Dog and Shotgun approach will not work.
If you are not married, keep the BMW in your living room. It is also easy to work on there, in the evenings. If you are married, you may have to make a decision regarding the BMW in the living room or the wife. That should not be hard, but in fairness--buy her a new suitcase. In the alternative, move to another State--now, what State would that be?

mrjoed2
07-07-2014, 05:43 AM
I wasn't trying to trample your rights. I am merely exercising mine under the First Amendment. You've inferred a lot about me that isn't accurate, but also isn't worth arguing over. I believe that anything can be discussed intelligently, including Supreme Court decisions. The last time I checked, SCOTUS wasn't infallible either...the Dredd Scott and Plessy decisions come to mind. By the way, I think it is naive to believe that politicians do not decide or influence the issues affecting society. It's the politicians who propose regulations, make laws, and appoint federal judges. And, yes, the Constitution of the United States should be applicable to all Americans equally. Frankly, I believe that there is no nobler pursuit for government and citizens than to apply the Constitution and laws of our country to everyone equally, including the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Well certainly we are both exercising our 1st amendments rights here. But this portion of your previous post is what raised a red flag to me:

"I happen to believe that the founding fathers did not intend the Second Amendment to support everyone's right to a gun"

If you believe in the constitution as you state - what people or group of Americans should
not have the right to bear arms? Would you say the same about our 1st or 4th amendment rights? I think I can infer from your post that you disagree with the supreme court individual right decisions.

I am not naive about politicians. The issue is without laws to guide and control them, they can trample our rights in a micro second. When we are dealing with issues related to our constitutional rights, there has to be a higher standard to restrict politicians from violating them. That is why I, as 5 million Americans are NRA members and supporters to protect our 2nd amendment rights.

Leslierc
07-07-2014, 06:32 AM
Well certainly we are both exercising our 1st amendments rights here. But this portion of your previous post is what raised a red flag to me:

"I happen to believe that the founding fathers did not intend the Second Amendment to support everyone's right to a gun"

If you believe in the constitution as you state - what people or group of Americans should
not have the right to bear arms?

Clearly, I think both of us agree that persons convicted of crimes should not have access or be allowed to purchase firearms. I think this should apply to most types of felonies, such as robberies, burglaries, rapes, assaults, and drug related crimes, and, perhaps, certain misdemeanors. I also think we agree to some extent regarding restricting the right to gun ownership among persons with mental disabilities. My concerns in this regard has to do with the thousands of people affected by mental and emotional problems who are not known to the system, but who, nonetheless, pose a danger to themselves or others. How do we control that problem and yet not trample their rights or that of others? Frankly, I am horrified by the shootings that have occurred at the hands of emotionally unstable people...all "legally" in possession of the firearms they used. What's the answer? This is not a rhetorical question. As someone of standing in the NRA you are someone that I would look to for helping the greater society with solving these problems so that not only will gun owners be protected, but also other law abiding people who choose not to own guns but want to be safe from gun violence. For the record, consistent with my belief that the Second Amendment is not an absolute guarantee of gun ownership, I support legal gun ownership. I own two handguns.

tampamark
07-07-2014, 07:59 AM
+1

Has anybody noticed that the original post is from 2012???

While the OP has not been back at all to clarify, I interpreted his statement of his garage being "built out" as he has converted it into a finished part of his house, or in some other way using it for something other than storage. I am not sure we will ever know as he hasn't posted anything since 2012.

At least it sparked a no-one-ever-wins discussion about stand your ground and guns! :thumbup:

mrjoed2
07-07-2014, 08:22 AM
Clearly, I think both of us agree that persons convicted of crimes should not have access or be allowed to purchase firearms. I think this should apply to most types of felonies, such as robberies, burglaries, rapes, assaults, and drug related crimes, and, perhaps, certain misdemeanors. I also think we agree to some extent regarding restricting the right to gun ownership among persons with mental disabilities. My concerns in this regard has to do with the thousands of people affected by mental and emotional problems who are not known to the system, but who, nonetheless, pose a danger to themselves or others. How do we control that problem and yet not trample their rights or that of others? Frankly, I am horrified by the shootings that have occurred at the hands of emotionally unstable people...all "legally" in possession of the firearms they used. What's the answer? This is not a rhetorical question. As someone of standing in the NRA you are someone that I would look to for helping the greater society with solving these problems so that not only will gun owners be protected, but also other law abiding people who choose not to own guns but want to be safe from gun violence. For the record, consistent with my belief that the Second Amendment is not an absolute guarantee of gun ownership, I support legal gun ownership. I own two handguns.

We agree completely on the criminal possession of firearms. For the record as far as Federal law is concerned, ANY felony disqualifies a person for buying or possession of a gun or ammunition. Even white collar types of offenses. And any misdemeanor that involves domestic violence is a disqualifier as well. That is it however, any other misdemeanor does not, as it should be.

As to the issue of mental health issues, it is a problem. Currently anyone adjudicated in a court as mentally deficient is barred from gun ownership. Some states report their data to the Federal NCIC system, some do not. But here is we get into the slippery slope issue. If someone has never had any criminal or mental health history, how can you restrict their constitutional rights? You cannot penalize a US citizen for what they might or could do in the future. There is a price to pay for a free society and our rights. Just as the supreme court rules last week on cell phone privacy, the police cannot search a cell without a warrant, and while it may hamper law enforcement, they said that's the price of upholding constitutional rights.

That being said the NRA strongly supports revamping the mental heath system in this country, including mandating all states supply their records to the Feds so the appropriate people can be barred from firearm ownership. And certainly it is a dangerous world, with
everything from drunk drivers killing thousands of people, to pedophiles attacking children. To some degree no amount of laws will ever make us safe. ( Look at Chicago - some of the strictest gun laws in the US and they were the murder capitol of the country last year will 500+ homicides, and 82 people shot just this past weekend)

Leslierc
07-07-2014, 10:20 AM
We agree completely on the criminal possession of firearms. For the record as far as Federal law is concerned, ANY felony disqualifies a person for buying or possession of a gun or ammunition. Even white collar types of offenses. And any misdemeanor that involves domestic violence is a disqualifier as well. That is it however, any other misdemeanor does not, as it should be.

As to the issue of mental health issues, it is a problem. Currently anyone adjudicated in a court as mentally deficient is barred from gun ownership. Some states report their data to the Federal NCIC system, some do not. But here is we get into the slippery slope issue. If someone has never had any criminal or mental health history, how can you restrict their constitutional rights? You cannot penalize a US citizen for what they might or could do in the future. There is a price to pay for a free society and our rights. Just as the supreme court rules last week on cell phone privacy, the police cannot search a cell without a warrant, and while it may hamper law enforcement, they said that's the price of upholding constitutional rights.

That being said the NRA strongly supports revamping the mental heath system in this country, including mandating all states supply their records to the Feds so the appropriate people can be barred from firearm ownership. And certainly it is a dangerous world, with
everything from drunk drivers killing thousands of people, to pedophiles attacking children. To some degree no amount of laws will ever make us safe. ( Look at Chicago - some of the strictest gun laws in the US and they were the murder capitol of the country last year will 500+ homicides, and 82 people shot just this past weekend)

You've articulated the problem eloquently and I agree that people should not be penalized or persecuted for bad things they might do. However, when it comes to guns, is the price we have to pay as a free society the slaughtering of children and innocent people? Trust me, I am not advocating that citizens' rights to own guns be taken away. This is very much like your right to swing your arms stops at my nose. As an intelligent democracy I think we look absolutely foolish and emasculated to the rest of the free world for the fact that we seem not to be able to come to grips with this problem. What would be wrong with a national gun registry that could be cross-checked periodically with law enforcement and relevant medical databases to assure that the information concerning owners is up to date? Of course, a path around HIPAA would need to be resolved. Frankly, if such a database existed, I would not mind it being adminnistered by the NRA, subject to verification. Granted, something like that would not provide 100% assurance that individuals with mental health issues don't have access to firearms; but it would be better than just seemingly watching bad things happen to innocents, not to mention a start in the right direction I think.

ShakeDaddy
07-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Has anybody noticed that the original post is from 2012???

While the OP has not been back at all to clarify, I interpreted his statement of his garage being "built out" as he has converted it into a finished part of his house, or in some other way using it for something other than storage. I am not sure we will ever know as he hasn't posted anything since 2012.

At least it sparked a no-one-ever-wins discussion about stand your ground and guns! :thumbup:

No doubt I hear you Mark.

I get a bit tired of reading from posters like the OP. They never contribute or add anything but only post when THEY have a problem and when THEY want some free help or THEY want to sell something....... you know the type, it's the me, me and me society. But, what this type of thread can do at times is to spark some good discussion and comments.

And My Comment Is.

If you have no other choice but to park your exclusive $100K vehicle outside overnight and your garage is now your living room, it's totally fair game. You might as well be saying to the Slime Balls of the world, HELLO, I live right OVER here, come and GET IT! :hi: :hi:

mrjoed2
07-07-2014, 11:26 AM
You've articulated the problem eloquently and I agree that people should not be penalized or persecuted for bad things they might do. However, when it comes to guns, is the price we have to pay as a free society the slaughtering of children and innocent people? Trust me, I am not advocating that citizens' rights to own guns be taken away. This is very much like your right to swing your arms stops at my nose. As an intelligent democracy I think we look absolutely foolish and emasculated to the rest of the free world for the fact that we seem not to be able to come to grips with this problem. What would be wrong with a national gun registry that could be cross-checked periodically with law enforcement and relevant medical databases to assure that the information concerning owners is up to date? Of course, a path around HIPAA would need to be resolved. Frankly, if such a database existed, I would not mind it being adminnistered by the NRA, subject to verification. Granted, something like that would not provide 100% assurance that individuals with mental health issues don't have access to firearms; but it would be better than just seemingly watching bad things happen to innocents, not to mention a start in the right direction I think.

I agree we need to take steps to deal with mentally impaired individuals, but we are completely against any type of National gun registry. In fact current Federal law specifically forbids it. As you know there are many anti-gun politicians in Washington who would like nothing better than a gun registry. This would be there starting point for restrictions then confiscation - leading us down that slippery slope like England and Australia when private firearms are now banned. And as far as the rest of the free world, we are the only one with the constitutional right to bear arms, so frankly don't care what they think. Look at how some countries oppress their citizens. I think mandating all 50 states share their mental patient records with the Feds would be a good start.

tampamark
07-07-2014, 05:06 PM
No doubt I hear you Mark.

I get a bit tired of reading from posters like the OP. They never contribute or add anything but only post when THEY have a problem and when THEY want some free help or THEY want to sell something....... you know the type, it's the me, me and me society. But, what this type of thread can do at times is to spark some good discussion and comments.

And My Comment Is.

If you have no other choice but to park your exclusive $100K vehicle outside overnight and your garage is now your living room, it's totally fair game. You might as well be saying to the Slime Balls of the world, HELLO, I live right OVER here, come and GET IT! :hi: :hi:

I know, it is funny that a 2 year old thread has more activity than usual, mostly because some folks said they would protect their car with force. Might have just been idle bravado but it stirred the discussion. But anytime you start debating the tough subjects in our society and world it goes that way. Many forums do not allow politics, gun control, abortion, or other social topics since it can become incendiary.

Personally I own a gun, I believe in my rights to possess and use it in my defense. But I would have a real hard time using it over losing a set of tires. I would first and foremost call the police if I were to catch someone in the act. My choice, but if you confront someone with a firearm and they panic and make a move towards you there would be no choice but to fire, having someones death on my hands would just not be something I desire! Even if they were stealing my personal property... :dunno:

WWnyc
07-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Thank you Mark for a voice of reason and sanity. No matter how "slime ball-y" wheels vs human life???
Mine is garaged every night and parked and retrieved each morning by someone who admires the car but doesn't care 10% about it as much as I do. The alternative is the streets of Manhattan. Bumpers, Ha ! Probably destroyed the first night. And the thought of driving around for God knows how long after a hard day to find that empty spot is even worse.
Just cause not all of us have private, attached, pristine, safe like garages doesn't mean we can't love these cars and enjoy them the best we can.
As far as guns, no thanks, but that's just me. I know it. And that's OK.

Leslierc
07-08-2014, 02:51 AM
having someones death on my hands would just not be something I desire! Even if they were stealing my personal property... :dunno:

My feelings exactly.

Leslierc
07-08-2014, 02:59 AM

Sometimes, polite and intelligent discussion of these types of issues is better than remaining silent and pretending they don't exist. :)

TopDownInFL
07-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Sometimes, polite and intelligent discussion of these types of issues is better than remaining silent and pretending they don't exist. :)

:thumbup:

ShakeDaddy
07-08-2014, 12:19 PM

+1 :thumbup:

tampamark
07-08-2014, 02:00 PM

:thumbup:

TopDownInFL
07-12-2014, 06:14 AM
I just felt like I was at a party standing between two groups listening to two separate conversations. My head is spinning... :)