PDA

View Full Version : Active Roll Stabilization? has anyone felt a dofference

danny929
01-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Yes i know i spelled "difference" wrong on the subject heading.

When I was ordering my 650xi coupe, I got m sport but opted out for the $2000 Active Roll Stabilization option.

Coming out of a 2010 Mercedes E63, I hoped i would not regret forfeiting this option.

I got an x drive m sport coupe and it handles well, not as well as my old AMG, but fairly well. Does anyone have experience comparing cars equipped with Active Roll Stabilization and cars that are not.

I wonder if its a noticeable difference for daily driving.

southern6er22
01-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Sorry to go off topic, but how do you like the xDrive? Did you compare to RWD? I was only able to drive RWD as here in Alabama xDrive on the cars isn't very popyular. Despite this, I ordered xDrive as I like the idea of the extra traction/security in this car both during normal conditions and during the horrible rain we get at times. Just curious for an opinion. Thanks.

As for the ARS, I did opt for this option. I'll post my thoughts after my car comes in. I am hoping to drive some different configurations in February when I go to the Performance Center for a private run as well as one of the courses.

Enjoy the car! I can't wait for mine to get here.

danny929
01-04-2012, 09:43 AM
rwd feels better at high speeds. This is my first non RWD car, overall its a nice car and drives great but rwd is prob better on high speeds, ..

im really curious about the active roll option

thanks . and good luck with your new ride as well

southern6er22
01-04-2012, 09:53 AM
That's kinda what I was thinking, too. I figured RWD might be a little more fun, but xDrive may save me from myself with that much power (and there is the new trend toward AWD, like the CL). Sorry for hijacking your thread. Thanks for the opinion.

danny929
01-04-2012, 10:22 AM
No Prob, Happy New Year

Itinj6
01-04-2012, 12:09 PM
I test drove one with the ARS and the one I leased does not have a ARS. I can't recall any difference in normal street driving. I didnt take the ARS equipped one on a highway speed drive but I assume that the ARS is more for higher speed driving on twisted roads to keep the car stuck to the ground. I cant see how it will make any difference in regular driving. Might help a bit for a vert since they lack the added integrity of a roof. Probably for someone who wants more of a sports car feel and it can't hurt handling

petriej
01-04-2012, 04:58 PM
You can do advanced edit and change the title of the post. Looking forward to more discussion on ARS. :D

eLECTRO eDITION
01-07-2012, 04:11 PM
A vid from F01 F02 7er on ARS, detail graphics.
I have this on my F02 and would purchase it again if move to F12/F13.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngOjtS5WQ4o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH6PK8_-Bv4&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYBPc9748xQ

tbod
01-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Don't have it on my 650 but my X6 had it. I was going around one of those circular on ramps to an interstate and an RX7 was behind me. I was going around pretty fast and the body started to roll a bit just as I was decreasing my turn radius so in my head I thought I was going to have to lift to keep from drifting. Well all of a sudden the body pulled back down really fast which felt un-natural but kept me from having to lift so I kept in it. It was amazing. I'm guessing it felt so substantial because the ride height was greater but I would recommend the option to anyone just based on that one event.

pan
01-28-2012, 12:21 PM
I've had ARS on a 2006 and 2010 650i. It's the reason it corners so flat. I would not get a performance car without it.

550i Beast
06-20-2013, 09:52 AM
I've had ARS on a 2006 and 2010 650i. It's the reason it corners so flat. I would not get a performance car without it.

I agree One MILLION % !!!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Sandytop
06-20-2013, 12:36 PM
I did not have it on my 2010 but I do on my 2012 and I notice a big difference. Living in Indiana the only curves are the off ramps from the highways to thats when I can really tell. I went from a C63 AMG to my E64 and there was a big difference in the handling, the AMG felt a lot more "planted" in the corners. Now with the F13 that feeling is back and I can take the same off ramps at the same speed as before. I would recommend that if you can get it to get it but I don't think it would be a deal breaker for me.

Tuesday
06-20-2013, 02:07 PM
I had it on a 550 and a 750 - it was nice but not the holy grail. I did not opt for it on my 650GC. I honestly think similar/better handling characteristics can come from stout suspension upgrades. But for 2K, it's definitely worth the price if you have a choice. I would not consider it to be a deal breaker if you fall in love with a car without it. BMW's will always handle well compared to a lot of cars.

dunderhi
06-20-2013, 05:38 PM
I had it on a 550 and a 750 - it was nice but not the holy grail. I did not opt for it on my 650GC. I honestly think similar/better handling characteristics can come from stout suspension upgrades. But for 2K, it's definitely worth the price if you have a choice. I would not consider it to be a deal breaker if you fall in love with a car without it. BMW's will always handle well compared to a lot of cars.

Or you could do like I did on my 550 and get ARS and then upgrade the suspension too. That car handled as well as my 650. :thumbup:

BTW, I cruised quite comfortably in my 550xi on the Autobahn with multpile hours above 140mph, even my wife was comfortable enough to sleep at 140+mph. I can't imagine RWD would feel more stable at high speeds.

Tuesday
06-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Sounds like you've got it all figured out, lol.

ShakeDaddy
06-20-2013, 09:36 PM
I agree One MILLION % !!!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Nice Job Watson posting a thread from Yester Year.

For a minute I thought Southey ordered another 6 Series. :rofl: :rofl:

southern6er22
06-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Haha. I'd be happy to upgrade to a '14 if it weren't for the gawwwd awful depreciation.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

AdamG13
06-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Just test drove a 650 without ARS. Ripped it onto the on-ramp (sales chick grabbed the oh-**** handle, didn't seem super pleased) and didn't notice much bodyroll to begin with. Personally going to skip this option on my order.

While I was there I took a look at those new Liquid Black 20" wheels. Awesome looking wheels, but $5k... Still having a hard time adjusting to being able to purchase cars that have options worth more than some of my previous cars in their entirety!

southern6er22
06-22-2013, 06:00 PM
While I was there I took a look at those new Liquid Black 20" wheels. Awesome looking wheels, but $5k... Still having a hard time adjusting to being able to purchase cars that have options worth more than some of my previous cars in their entirety!

I know what you mean. I sold my first car for less than the price of my wheels and tires.

I've posted this pictorial analogy before, but what the heck, I'm easily amused.
Current car, then first car...

AdamG13
06-23-2013, 03:20 PM
haha...these gradual upgrades in life are really the way to go.

Alpine300ZHP
06-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Just test drove a 650 without ARS. Ripped it onto the on-ramp (sales chick grabbed the oh-**** handle, didn't seem super pleased) and didn't notice much bodyroll to begin with. Personally going to skip this option on my order.

You notice it more when cornering as opposed to off ramps. I would get it if I were getting a 6.