PDA

View Full Version : rattle from suspention over bumps?

danny929
01-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Sup Guys,

I noticed on my new 650xi coupe that sometimes when driving over bumpy roads i hear a little bumping noise coming from the front passenger side wheel well.

Its very minor but it just sounds like the strut's "compressing sound" is more evident from the passenger side, then driver side.

I just wanted to know if any noise is normal, or if this is a problem with the car. I just dont want to waste my time at the dealer only for them to tell me its normal and there's no problems.

Its really minor, how do i check if its defective.

TopDownInFL
01-05-2012, 09:53 AM
I don't hear anything unusual. A video of it would help.

danny929
01-05-2012, 09:54 AM
basicly when you go over a bump do hear any noise at all from the impact or just feel the bump

thom.one.two
01-05-2012, 10:47 AM
I heard that noise in my 2009 650 for three years. Over bumps at 20-40 mph I could feel it under my feet on the passenger side of the car. The struts were fine and they balanced the tires each time and it got better. I don't notice it on my F12. However, my Panamera S is in the shop now for the same thing. They are replacing a part of the suspension but the noise on the Porsche was far worse than the 650.

Try having them balance the tires, but my guess is it's a strut.

danny929
01-05-2012, 11:24 AM
exactly! i feel it under my feet but its very minor. Tire balancing shouldnt do much to help. The noise is worse then the feeling , i just dont think dealer will pay it any mind.

Elias
01-05-2012, 12:06 PM
exactly! i feel it under my feet but its very minor. Tire balancing shouldnt do much to help. The noise is worse then the feeling , i just dont think dealer will pay it any mind.

Take the tech out on a test drive with you and demonstrate the noise so they can't deny it.

thom.one.two
01-05-2012, 06:24 PM
I took the service manager out on several drives. Everyone felt it. Two different centers said it was tire balancing. I paid the first time because the noise started a few thousand miles into it. After that, the dealer identified that there was a noise and a weird thumping under the passenger front floor mat. Every time they balanced the tires, the noise went away. Find a street with potholes, go 30 mph over the holes. It feels like something is loose under the floorboard. It sounds like a muffled bumping.

I get the Pana back tomorrow. It sounded exactly the same. Will tell you tomorrow what it was.

Thebreadman
01-05-2012, 07:04 PM
On my test drives, I did feel the same thing. Front passenger side, by the wheel. I don't have my car yet (next week), but I expect it as well.

I did read on several car reviews that the one knock on the car's handling is that it does not take bumps very well. They were all surprised by this, but sounds to me like what you (we) are experiencing is normal for this car.

danny929
01-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the input guys, The wheels are balanced fine because at high speed the wheels seem great. I think as mentioned this car just sucks at taking bumps. The sound i hear is basically the impact from a bump, i feel a small vibration in the steering wheel at times but it comes and goes, i assume its the car and i just may be very anal.

Elias
01-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Well I don't have any of those noises and I don't believe you should either, we paid a lot of money for these cars and we shouldn't tolerate anything less than excellence from our vehicles.I'm as anal as you are I'm sure and any little noise would drive me up the wall!!

thom.one.two
01-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Panamera S was a part of the strut. I don't believe that the noise is just part of every 6 Series. My F12 does not make that noise like my last one did.