PDA

View Full Version : 0-60 performance

svp66
01-10-2012, 06:17 PM
I read on another thread about RWD vs XDrive performance, and instead of hijacking I thought I'd start a separate thread regarding performance.

Don't know where the "RWD is better than XDrive at high speeds" came from, maybe it is something I am not aware of.... I am driving XDrive, had RWD Merc SLK before, I actually prefer the XDrive.

As for the 650 XDrive performance, I tried just for kicks a 0-60 run - alone in the car, sorry for the shaky camera. Mind you, this is on winter non-performance tires, with non-stock entry level 18" wheels (makes no sense to ding those original beauties on winter roads). I think ~4.5 sec, and this is without flooring, just a heavy foot. You can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csm4OUVhZPI.

Please feel free to post your impressions / experiences.

Elias
01-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Do I detect your trying to start an XDrive vs RWD performance war here? :tsk:

southern6er22
01-10-2012, 07:56 PM
I also would like to hear about everyone's thoughts/experiences regarding RWD and xDrive (in this car and others). I'm still waiting for mine, so unfortunately I can't provide any first hand experience. I went with xDrive because of the extra traction and its ability to correct for some human error on my part if need be. Did anyone drive the two for the sake of comparison on dry roads? Mercedes seems to be keen on their 4Matic system that is standard on the CL. Benefits of RWD are decreased weight for improved performance, very slight improvment in the near-50/50 distribution, and the feel of RWD, at least as I understand it. Anything I am missing?

I'm interested primarily for educational purposes as my car is already built. I added active rolls stabilization to my 650xi to theoretically improve the handling. I'm going to the Performance Center next month and am hoping to learn and compare while I'm there.

svp66
01-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Do I detect your trying to start an XDrive vs RWD performance war here? :tsk:

No, just trying to understand where this came from. I remember a 5th gear episode on BMW M3vs Audi RS4 or something like that. Both drivers agreed there was more fun to drive the RWD M3, but they could not shake the AWD Audi off their tail.... I think AWD systems are underrated performance-wise.

That and perhaps I wanted to sting a little bit the RWD crowd, get them to post their experience....:p

Itinj6
01-11-2012, 07:24 AM
I got the standard non-XDrive. I did for a couple reasons...

A. I really wanted the Integral Active Steering which doesn't seem to be available for the XDrive model. That thing maneuveres like a smart car in small spaces with the 4 wheel steering. I was rather impressed when I test drove it as it felt like the
ass was swinging away around turns at slow speeds. Feels weird and cool at the same time. Also, it slides into lanes when changing as the rear wheels turn at the same angle as the front ones at high speed. I love it while others may not.

B. My fiancée has an X6 50i which really did nothing in the snow. We got stuck several times. I am sure it helps with fish tailing though. The X6 drives like a small car but the 650 drives like a big car. I like the feel of a big car drive and I wonder if the XDrive makes that difference in feel.

Just my thoughts :)

thom.one.two
01-11-2012, 09:41 AM
In Houston, I couldn't find a reason to go with the Xdrive over active steering, Like Itinj6 noted, I like the steering much better on an active steering car than others. My last 650 did not have active steering, and I missed it everytime I drove it. I'm not racing this car, and don't get snow at all, so there was no question for me. The dealers here only order XDrive if you special order. They don't stock them, so I have not compared them back to back. I have the active steering, and it is a night and day difference in handling.

svp66
01-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Here in Minnesota it's just the other way around. With at least 5 months of winter (usually late Oct through early April) I have to go with AWD. My Merc SLK was a blast to drive in summer, but winter time I had to be real careful. At one time I had a FWD Passat and Audi A4 at the same time, then I exchanged the Passat for the RWD SLK. There was a huge difference on snow - the Audi was unbelievably better, although it is the same platform as the VW. The Passat was second, and SLK third in terms of winter handling. After that I decided to get AWD for all the cars I drive in winter.

I have not tested the RWD 650, I am sure it's a blast and probably faster than XDrive. My only point is that sometime XDrive is underrated performance-wise.

thom.one.two
01-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Actually I think the XDrive is .1 seconds faster than the rwd.

Elias
01-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Actually I think the XDrive is .1 seconds faster than the rwd.

C&D had the 650i 0-60 time clocked in 4.5 sec and the 1/4 mile in 12.9, I haven't heard anything on the xdrive version except what the factory specs said which was 4.9 sec.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/bmw-650i-coupe-instrumented-test

svp66
01-13-2012, 01:37 PM
C&D had the 650i 0-60 time clocked in 4.5 sec and the 1/4 mile in 12.9, I haven't heard anything on the xdrive version except what the factory specs said which was 4.9 sec.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/bmw-650i-coupe-instrumented-test

I did not look before (and therefore I can't tell what they gave initially for XDrive). I see now the bmwusa lists the XDrive coupe 0-60 at 4.7 sec and the RWD coupe at 4.9 sec. Curious how these play out in real world, but my brief test makes me believe that numbers are underestimated by BMW (like with all other models).

Kamdog
01-13-2012, 01:49 PM
I have had AWD, FWD, and RWD cars, and, in that order, that is how they rate in bad weather. AWD is better in both snow and in rain, IMO. However, just for the way the car feels when I drive it, I prefer RWD. Since I have the ability to leave the car in the garage and drive something else in the nasty weather, I went with an RWD car. If not, I would definitely pick the AWD car every day. In my experience, when pushed, the AWD car actually goes around bends faster, but, I just like the way RWD feels.

leejae76
02-09-2012, 05:46 PM
I think awd keeps the car more balanced than rwd (50/50 ratio) too.

Technically awd is faster than rwd 650 - according to bmw but dont know if it's necessarily handling better.

In nyc, need awd but regardless i dont drive in snow. I might not slip but plenty of retards who may slip into me.