PDA

View Full Version : HELP... Me make a decision

Itinj6
01-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Long story short, my 650i is being trade assisted and I need to pick a car that is readily available. Previously, I had a 650i Vert, with the Integral Active Steering and absolutely adored it. It just felt so nimble with the 4 wheel steering. My dealer has two available cars for me to pick from. One is a 650i with everything I had before plus Active Roll Stabilization. The other is an XDrive with everything I had before plus the Full LED Headlights which I think looks amazing (no ARS for this one though). I test drive the XDrive today and it is a totally different feel. I like them both in their own special way. I am going crazy trying to decide. Anyone else test drive both XDrive and non-XDrive and had mixed feelings? All other options being constant, what would you pick???

svp66
01-19-2012, 03:24 PM
If you plan to drive in the New Jersey winter I think XDrive. If not, it's a tough call.

southern6er22
01-19-2012, 03:42 PM
I can't give any advice regarding driving as my coupe is in the middle of the Atlantic, but I opted for xDrive with ARS as I like the extra traction and security (as well as dropping 0.2 seconds from the 0-60 time). I don't have any ARS experience I can share.

I personally think that the full LEDs are a must. I saw them on a coupe like mine in Carbon Black with M Sport at the dealership the other night, and they are even more stunning in the dark. I also opted for them as I imagine that BMW is going to start putting them on the higher end models over the next few years, which is important to me as I purchased and plan to keep it for a while.

I guess my final choice would be the xDrive with the LEDs. I'd go for LEDs over ARS if you keep how they drive as a constant (which I know is hard to do since ARS influences handling). Hopefully others can impart more helpful information than "go for the fancy, shiny headlights." Haha. Just my thoughts. Don't think you can really go wrong either way.

Itinj6
01-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks so far guys. I think I'm leaning towards the XDrive so far but damned if I didn't almost hit the car waiting at the light as I was making a right turn lol. I wasn't used to using so much steering wheel turn and effort to make that right turn as with the IAS

XZLR8
01-19-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm not a fan of IAS, so that probably taints my opinion, but I love my xDrive 6er.

thom.one.two
01-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Well, if you didn't have XDrive before, and there wasn't a problem then, then why the debate now? If the snow was a problem getting around, then absolutley get the XDrive. If it didn't bother you before, then get the adaptive steering.

I had a 650 without active steering. My new 6er has it, and I wouldn't go back. But they close the city down when Houston gets to 40 degrees (lol). The largest dealer in Houston said that they don't stock XDrive models, and only special order them here.

Itinj6
01-20-2012, 05:47 AM
There are a few variables making my decision harder. The interior trim on the 650i was all scratched up and had a little chip in it and I wanted either aluminum or gray poplar. This was fine oak. The XDrive model is gonna be fresh out the box as it is at the port. The sound on the XDrive (as noted in the other "exhaust sound" thread. The threat of snow hitting the NE tomorrow lol... But damn if I do decide on the XDrive, I'm gonna miss that IAS more than anything. I was able to U-Turn anywhere. I have a feeling that in the X-drive, all those U-turns will be changed to 3-point turns

southern6er22
01-20-2012, 06:17 AM
It sounds like you really want the IAS. I'd hate to see you disappointed over that, but I agree with you on the trim material choices... especially given the scratches in the oak. The M Sport coupe I mentioned in the exhaust thread was not xDrive, so the difference I heard was between a coupe and convertible (probably has nothing to do with the sound difference) and M Sport and non-M Sport.

Itinj6
01-20-2012, 06:29 AM
This decision is destroying me lol, but if choosing between two different F12's is my biggest problem, I guess life isn't that bad...

thom.one.two
01-20-2012, 06:35 AM
Lol about 3 point turns. My 2009 didn't have active steering and this one does. I can turn on a dime. Of course my Lincoln Navigator has a better turning radius than the old 650, as does my Panamera and Hummer. I just assumed the F12/F13 fixed that. You may want to compare that. Of all of the drawbacks of the last 650, that was most bothersome to me. But the scratches...deal killer for me. Mine has fine line and I love it, but it's not scratched. If you decide on that one, have them change that out.

thom.one.two
01-20-2012, 06:37 AM
Just make sure the B and O option is there.

Itinj6
01-20-2012, 07:47 AM
I'm not totally against the fine line oak, but in their lineup, I just like the other two better. We have fine line oak in our X6 and it is nice but the swirls in the gray poplar give it an almost granite/marble look IMO lol. I'm more contemporary though so aluminum would be #1, but there aren't many readily available. The XDrive I tested was an Indivudual with the B&O. The bass was tickling mine and my fiancées ass lol, no joke we noted that and frankly, it felt damn good :D. I can't disagree, it is amazing but at the premium BMW charges for it, I think I would prefer the night vision option or something like that. I'm more into utility and I found myself wishing I had it a few times driving through dark roads where deer are prominent. I hit a deer once, inadvertently of course, and the deer won...

Itinj6
01-20-2012, 07:51 AM
Did you say your Hummer had a better turn radius??? Damn lol. I drove a few in Afghanistan and they sucked... but those are H1's. Not sure which one you have.

Ironically though, with all this love for the IAS, mine is being trade assisted for steering issues lol. I was told BMW wants it to do testing on it for future issues that others may encounter. I'm just gonna chalk it up as fluke and hope BMW uses mine for science in case it happens again

southern6er22
01-20-2012, 11:13 AM
I am happy to hear that you liked the way the xDrive drove despite it being different from the RWD. I debated between the two and ultimately went for the xDrive without test driving it. I kinda figured that xDrive is one of the better AWD systems as BMW is known or their RWD and had to try to maintain that feel. Like in Houston, we have to special order them in Alabama. I do find it interesting how many reviews of the IAS hate it but owners love it. I guess it is something you get used to and test drives for journalistic purposes are insufficient for seeing its merit.

Itinj6
01-20-2012, 11:26 AM
I did enjoy the XDrive. The launch felt more stable, tighter and powerful IMO but I can't see how anyone wouldnt like the IAS. I noticed it the second I pulled out of the lot on my initial test drive. It felt like a controlled fishtail which caused an immediate "wow" factor. That's the best way to explain it. I thought i was losing my mind until i discovered that it had 4 wheel steering. I have a lot of time in the "Skid Monster" (a military driving trainer with free turning rear wheels) and it reminded me of that, just the IAS was more controlled and not so violent lol. (I'm discussing slow speeds when the rear wheels turn opposite the front).

southern6er22
01-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Good to hear. I just assumed that they didn't do IAS for the xDrive because it would cost too much to engineer and build a version compatible with the xDrive system, especially since they just launched it on this car and didn't know how popular it would be. I haven't compared other xDrive models to see if IAS is offered with them. I'm going to have to try it out sometime after all of the good things I hearing about it. I'm going to the Performance Center next month, so maybe I'll get a chance while I'm there.

Itinj6
01-20-2012, 01:05 PM
IAS is not offered with XDrive or I would be all over it, not even questionable lol. That would make for one disgustingly sick handling car. I wonder if they have that combination in their future, which im sure would come with a hefty price tag. I had 4 wheel steering in my 1990 300zx TT but it felt nothing like BMW's IAS, not even a little lol.

JONNYCHIRO
01-20-2012, 06:27 PM
OP I don't get it. If they served you up a lemon, why are you limited to the two they've got on hand?
IMHO, you should be able to get the vehicle specs you want/willing to pay for. What am I missing?

Oh, and don't forgo the full LED's--just my opinion.

Itinj6
01-20-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm not necessarily limited to those two, but they are the CLOSEST and readily available to what I had/want/original MSRP. I would love to custom order but that takes two months and BMW has already repo'd my car. Also, I would still have to pay the two months for the 650 while mine is being built. To top it off, they said they can't let me have the loaner for two months which would leave me with more costs for a rental. Its not Impossible, but rather more financially undesirable.

Itinj6
01-20-2012, 06:51 PM
BTW, Full LED's are definitely on my list.

How do the Angel Eyes look on them? I love the new Coronas and I can only imagine the LED's look better

JONNYCHIRO
01-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Find the exact specs you want (just stepped out of) at any Dealership (to avoid build time) and have them Dealer Req it to your Dealership (they do it all the time.)

It might take some push on your part--but it's completely doable on their end.

They screwed up by you. Having a steer flaw/issue is no small thing (obviously.)
By taking the vehicle back they acknowledge it all the way.
There is no reason why you need to settle. This isn't an poorly cooked steak you just sent
back to the kitchen!:mad:

Give em Hell if you need to...

I wish you the best!

JONNYCHIRO
01-20-2012, 07:01 PM
BTW, Full LED's are definitely on my list.

How do the Angel Eyes look on them? I love the new Coronas and I can only imagine the LED's look better

Sick! Especially, with the M package!

southern6er22
01-20-2012, 07:12 PM
I wish I would have snapped a pic of the LEDs the other night on the Carbon Black M Sport Coupe at the dealership. They set the car apart from other BMWs both during the day and at night. On or off they are beautiful. I'd actually spend the money on them for their looks alone even if they didn't have any safety benefit.

The pics below show a great comparison (despite the crappy picture quality).

JONNYCHIRO
01-20-2012, 07:22 PM
I wish I would have snapped a pic of the LEDs the other night on the Carbon Black M Sport Coupe at the dealership. They set the car apart from other BMWs both during the day and at night. On or off they are beautiful. I'd actually spend the money on them for their looks alone even if they didn't have any safety benefit.

They have a safety benefit?:rofl: jk.

I got them for looks...

southern6er22
01-20-2012, 07:27 PM
More safety benefit than the Nappa dash and ceramic controls that cost as much as a Macbook and an iPad, respectively. lol.

JONNYCHIRO
01-20-2012, 07:37 PM
You're right they do look sick even by day/parked.

southern6er22
01-20-2012, 07:44 PM
Beautiful. That's exactly how mine looks. Let me rephrase that... That's how mine would look if it weren't in the middle of the Atlantic right now. I love the Carbon Black.

JONNYCHIRO
01-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Beautiful. That's exactly how mine looks. Let me rephrase that... That's how mine would look if it weren't in the middle of the Atlantic right now. I love the Carbon Black.

Yeah. Not to Derail OP (he and are like minded about this anyway) but mine is sitting @ BMW 'till this Tues.
The Grille and trim are being painted black. I'll post pic when I get it back.
Can't wait...

Good Luck on a quick clear thru customs and delivery.

southern6er22
01-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks! Can't wait to see the black trim.

Itinj6
01-20-2012, 09:20 PM
I leave the forum for a few hours and you are hogging and derailing my thread, sheesh. What's up with that???

Lol J/K

Thanks for posting those pics...
The regular xenons have a surprised look of, "OMG, I can't believe I just went that fast." The LED's confidently say "yeah that's right, I did go that fast and I'll do it again, bitch"

Anyway, my dealer did a nationwide search (at least that's what he said) and he even checked cars in the pipeline. Those were the only two somewhat similar. Not one in the database was exact to mine. One is an Xi which I didn't even have. Maybe it's better off though. I didn't have Full LED or MSport. It was a convertible with just the cool gadgets (driver assist, Lux seats, cold weather...). In the last few hours though, I spoke to my sales manager and I asked if I can get my old car back while I wait for a custom build and he said it was cool. My steering issue only comes up on a cold start in the morning and last for only a few minutes I think I'm gonna go a different route though. I'm thinking a balls loaded i Coupe now :)

BTW, my fiancée is having issues with her trade assist on the X6 50i. They just keep screwing up lol.

Itinj6
01-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Jonny, def post those pics of the trim and grille. I'm def gonna do that as well.

Outta curiosity, what are they painting the grille with? I was told they couldn't be painted because of the material (plastic). I understand the heavy price on the separate trim but couldnt he throw in the factory black grille? I worry that it may chip and flake on you over time, especially if you have a pebble hit it...

JONNYCHIRO
01-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Maybe it's better off though. I didn't have Full LED or M. I spoke to my sales manager and I asked if I can get my old car back while I wait for a custom build and he said it was cool. I think I'm gonna go a different route though. I'm thinking a balls loaded i Coupe now :)

--cool. Now that you've got your old/new ride: See if they'll let you build the new "sick" coupe!

JONNYCHIRO
01-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Jonny, def post those pics of the trim and grille. I'm def gonna do that as well.

Outta curiosity, what are they painting the grille with? I was told they couldn't be painted because of the material (plastic). I understand the heavy price on the separate trim but couldnt he throw in the factory black grille? I worry that it may chip and flake on you over time, especially if you have a pebble hit it...

I was under the same impression.
I have no idea. I'll ask. They seem more than confidant.

I agree the Grille is cheap enough
But apparently on back order.

I'm told the work will be under warranty.

After I saw the Alpina I just handed over the keys. It was that good.

southern6er22
01-20-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm glad they are working with you to fix the situation. I am all for the coupe idea.

Itinj6
01-20-2012, 10:07 PM
Living in North Jerz, a vert is only useful a few months out of the year anyway, when it isnt raining that is, and I hate the fact that I can't have sunlight coming in from overhead with the top up. I def love the lines on the coupe way more and I'm not a fan of rag tops. I originally wanted the coupe but I convinced myself into the vert because it was priced right and available for immediate delivery.

Jonny, if the paint is under warranty and they did the Alpina flawlessly, then by all means. They are the pros, not I. I was talking only about the grille though. That's what I was worried about

thom.one.two
01-20-2012, 10:43 PM
That seems crazy to me that they have admitted that their car is flawed to the point of taking it back, yet they allow you to drive it with steering issues that they are well aware of. Man-o-man.

Itinj6
01-20-2012, 11:03 PM
My fiancées X6 is also being trade assisted as well. She is waiting for hers to be custom built and she is still driving the bad one on daily basis. BMW is fully aware of this too lol

JONNYCHIRO
01-21-2012, 05:01 AM
Jonny, if the paint is under warranty and they did the Alpina flawlessly, then by all means. They are the pros, not I. I was talking only about the grille though. That's what I was worried about

Agreed. If it turns out as well as I'm hoping-I'll likely buy the grille myself and keep them in the box.

They're relatively inexpensive and
I'm appreciative of all these Dealer extras (they also tinted my windows etc) If the paint weathers poorly I won't be held up sending it back.

Ittinj -It's clear you want the Coupe! Go get! Btw I grew up in NY/NJ "Sprung from cages on Highway 9..."
(sorry, had to quote Springsteen)

Itinj6
01-21-2012, 09:39 AM
I'm pretty sure the coupe is gonna be my #1 choice. Still deciding on final options and packages before I pull the trigger, which I have to get as close to my original MSRP as possible. I need a day or two to make it perfect.

I grew up in Brooklyn and just moved to Fort Lee a few months ago with my fiancée, when I got home from Afghanistan. Whereabouts are you from?

southern6er22
01-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Can't wait to see what your final build sheet looks like. I assume you're going the RWD + IAS route?

I read somewhere that you can add the shadow line as a factory installed option despite its absence in the BYO configurator (I think I just made that word up lol). Might be cheaper if you get it put on at the time of production if it is in fact available.

JONNYCHIRO
01-21-2012, 10:54 AM
You can't go wrong but you know I vote Coupe!!!
Every day I love the lines of the Coupe more and more...

Can't wait to see what your final build sheet looks like. I assume you're going the RWD + IAS route?

I read somewhere that you can add the shadow line as a factory installed option despite its absence in the BYO configurator (I think I just made that word up lol). Might be cheaper if you get it put on at the time of production if it is in fact available.

A guy from Texas (sorry don't know who) posted pics of his Silver Coupe NOT M package but he was somehow able to special order the Shadowline trim...(As Southern said: He Configuratored it.) ;) You might be able to push that through on your new ride. :thumbup::thumbup::
I grew up in Brooklyn and just moved to Fort Lee a few months ago with my fiancée, when I got home from Afghanistan. Whereabouts are you from?

Mom's from Midwood Brooklyn. Dad Rego Park, Queens. I went to HS in NJ. Went to NYU and Fordham U in NYC. Can't tell you how many times my Crazy Dad would pick me up in Lincoln Center for lunch and he'd hike over the GWB just to eat at a Diner in Fort Lee...

Of the literally thousands of joints in nyc--he had to hit that Diner...:rofl: I still get up there all the time.

I am glad this is panning out well for you. If you special order the shadow line trim it'll be perfect.

Itinj6
01-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Plus with the coupe, being that it is cheaper than the vert, I can use the extra $$$ towards more options... SWEET!!!
Midwood is like 5-10 minutes from where I was raised in Bergen Beach. Do you recall the name of that diner? Is it Plaza Diner? I just ate there for the first time after playing hockey the other night and it is right over the bridge. I wanted to go to Fordham originally because they had a Navy ROTC but I ended up going to SUNY Farmingdale for their aviation program. My Fiancée went to NYU though.
As for the shadow line, I did read that thread where the guy got it on his sliver. It does look awesome. I'm gonna def look into that. If not, my service manager told me that some dude got his done in vinyl and that it came out really awesome as well. Being an aviator, I am really into gadgets and technology. Please don't make fun if I choose night vision and active cruise over M sport lol. I Am all about aesthetics, but I prefer technology and utility. I actually did find myself wishing I had night vision on several occasions... Performance comes first though, but that goes without saying :)
And yes, RWD + IAS seems to be what I favor more

Elias
01-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Plus with the coupe, being that it is cheaper than the vert, I can use the extra $$$ towards more options... SWEET!!!
Midwood is like 5-10 minutes from where I was raised in Bergen Beach. Do you recall the name of that diner? Is it Plaza Diner? I just ate there for the first time after playing hockey the other night and it is right over the bridge. I wanted to go to Fordham originally because they had a Navy ROTC but I ended up going to SUNY Farmingdale for their aviation program. My Fiancée went to NYU though.
As for the shadow line, I did read that thread where the guy got it on his sliver. It does look awesome. I'm gonna def look into that. If not, my service manager told me that some dude got his done in vinyl and that it came out really awesome as well. Being an aviator, I am really into gadgets and technology. Please don't make fun if I choose night vision and active cruise over M sport lol. I Am all about aesthetics, but I prefer technology and utility. I actually did find myself wishing I had night vision on several occasions... Performance comes first though, but that goes without saying :)

+1 I have the RWD and IAS and I love it, really helps in the handling dept, changing lanes is a breeze in this big car and making turns is real smooth. Your going to love it! :D

JONNYCHIRO
01-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Plus with the coupe, being that it is cheaper than the vert, I can use the extra $$$ towards more options... SWEET!!! I Am all about aesthetics, but I prefer technology and utility. I actually did find myself wishing I had night vision on several occasions... Performance comes first though, but that goes without saying :)

Trust me. You want the M!!!!
I almost didn't go w. it but I am so glad I did. Right down the to headliner it's the way to go.

Still. Again. You can't go wrong no matter what you decide.

I'll ask my Dad the name of the Diner. As I recall it was no more than two minutes from GWB. I can still picture it... A little way from you in Clifton is the Tic Toc Diner. Good place...

JONNYCHIRO
01-21-2012, 12:12 PM
As for the shadow line, I did read that thread where the guy got it on his sliver. It does look awesome. I'm gonna def look into that. If not, my service manager told me that some dude got his done in vinyl and that it came out really awesome as well.

Yeah but how's that gonna hold up? Vinyl? I just can't see that holding up the the elements and all four seasons. Then again what do I know...

XZLR8
01-21-2012, 12:24 PM
A guy from Texas (sorry don't know who) posted pics of his Silver Coupe NOT M package but he was somehow able to special order the Shadowline trim...(As Southern said: He Configuratored it.) ;) You might be able to push that through on your new ride. :thumbup::thumbup::

I'm not from Texas, but I "special ordered" both shadowline trim and the anthracite headliner on my non-MSport 6 Coupe. The options were about $500 each and just required my signature on a "special order" request that was submitted with my build sheet. I was cautioned that it could take extra time for the build process (I believe the request sheet mentioned a possible additional 4 weeks), but that didn't end up being the case at all.

Itinj6
01-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Elias, completely agree with you on the RWD+IAS. This is going to be my second F12/13 as my first one with RWD+IAS is being trade assisted. I am a huge advocate of this setup. The XDrive is also a nice drive as well though but we already have an X6 so no sense in two XDrive cars. Ironically though, my first car is being trade assisted for a steering problem that service can't resolve lol

So M-Sport huh? I do have it checked in my configurator but I haven't finalized/sent it in yet. Ahh decisions, decisions.

By the way, the reason why I am not so against vinyl is because my Suzuki GSX-R is a fully custom race replica all loaded with vinyl sponsor and graphic decals. After a couple years, they still look like new and my bike takes a much more beating than my car. I'm guessing the small amount of vinyl going around the window frame won't be so bad and if it gets ugly, I can just remove it. I will def look into the stock shadow line trim though. I'm just preparing for the big let down.

JONNYCHIRO
01-21-2012, 12:43 PM
My bad, XZLR8, I dunno why I had Texas in my head...
I wish I knew to special order that. The Sales Manager where I am at didn't even know.

I found the Australia post. Look at his factory Shadowline! SWEET! The gloss is amazing w the paint. Have XZLR8 Post or PM you the Dealership he dealt w. and if you hear "It can't be done." You can make a call and find out how they did.

Itinj--look at the rear diffuser on his car too. It spells M ;)

southern6er22
01-21-2012, 12:52 PM
I'm a big fan of the M Sport package. I was initially going to skip it to save some money as the original pics of the coupe looked really good, and I couldn't tell much of a difference in the appearance when viewing it with the BYO site. However, I completely changed my mind once I saw it on a Space Gray coupe at the dealer. The difference is night and day - they look like they could be two different models. The non-M is still a beautiful car, but the M definitely makes it look more aggressive and more like a sports car than just a luxury GT, which was appealing to me as I was deciding between the 650i and a 911. The package is a bit steep at $4,400 for appearances (and probably sport exhaust), but I really liked the anthracite headliner since I was going with the black interior. Anyway, what is $4,400 out of $100K, right?

JONNYCHIRO
01-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Well said Southern. And let's not forget increased top speed limiter.

I miss my car...
I got to get off this forum and into the gym.
Later guys.

XZLR8
01-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Have XZLR8 Post or PM you the Dealership he dealt w. and if you hear "It can't be done." You can make a call and find out how they did.
I really appreciate my Sales Manager making a few calls and asking about the possibility of the "special order" add-ons, but I don't think the actual process was anything too out of the ordinary. It was a stock "special order" form that the dealership just had to complete. Of course, the two things I was requesting -- shadowline trim and an anthracite headliner for a non-MSport car -- were options that already were available with other option packages or in other parts of the world, so I wasn't exactly asking BMW to re-invent the wheel.

I should note that there were limitations, though. I have a non-MSport xDrive car with the standard 19s (which I love) and all-season tires. I asked if I could keep that set-up, but still "special order" the LED headlights (which require 20s or the Individual package). I was told NO.

Itinj6
01-21-2012, 09:48 PM
You guys are right... The M-Sport is pure sweetness! One question about it though.. Not that it is a big deal but the floor door sills on the non-M light up "BMW" with some nice amber lighting. Do door sills on the "M" light up as well or not?

southern6er22
01-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think so. I remember looking at them for that purpose when the car was off, and they were just stainless steel/aluminum strips. I didn't notice any fancy illumination when I cranked it up the other night. Kinda cheap that they cut that touch, but the other aesthetic components make up for it. Slightly disappointing nonetheless.

Itinj6
01-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Definitely not a deal breaker but the non M did give a nice warm welcome with that amber illumination. Thanks

southern6er22
01-22-2012, 08:02 AM
I'd rather have the illuminated standard BMW sills over the non-illuminated ///M. I'm guessing that the accountants had some say in that decision.

Itinj6
01-22-2012, 08:05 AM
Still, for $4400, they couldve slapped some LEDs under the ///M and have that light up... Jeez, something. That is the most expensive of all the packages/options.

southern6er22
01-22-2012, 08:22 AM
I really would like to understand the logic behind some of their decisions. I cannot think of any reason for not offering an automatic trunk and soft close doors. I'm not saying that they have to be standard (like heated seats should be in a $83k base car), but they seem like easy money for BMW. Most probably wouldn't be think twice about paying $600 for each of those options in this car. But what do I know???

JONNYCHIRO
01-22-2012, 08:33 AM
still, for $4400, they couldve slapped some leds under the ///m and have that light up... Jeez, something. That is the most expensive of all the packages/options.

+1

Itinj6
01-22-2012, 09:09 AM
The only reasoning I can think of for them not including non essentials like that is to shave weight. It is very heavy car the way it is and adding all those mechanisms will only make it heavier. While I agree it should be an option and not standard, they know people will add them for the most part and performance might diminish substantially. But then again, who knows. I read somewhere on this board that materials for the soft close doors are scarce (I find that hard to believe) and they deleted it in a few models). Our new X6 will have then though. I was disappointed to find out that the trunk on the vert doesn't "pop" open when pressing the button. I can understand they dont want interference with the top, but man, it's BMW... They can easily add a synchronizer that block the trunk from popping open while the top is in transition.

JONNYCHIRO
01-22-2012, 10:08 AM
I really would like to understand the logic behind some of their decisions.

The only reasoning I can think of for them not including non essentials like that is to shave weight. It is very heavy car the way it is and adding all those mechanisms will only make it heavier. While I agree it should be an option and not standard, they know people will add them for the most part and performance might diminish substantially. But then again, who knows. I read somewhere on this board that materials for the soft close doors are scarce (I find that hard to believe) and they deleted it in a few models). Our new X6 will have then though. I was disappointed to find out that the trunk on the vert doesn't "pop" open when pressing the button. I can understand they dont want interference with the top, but man, it's BMW... They can easily add a synchronizer that block the trunk from popping open while the top is in transition.

Who the Hell knows.
My thinking: Either they've got some algorithm, formula or other cooked up (but effective profit driven) craziness to their thinking or none at all...
Some things just don't make sense to me and as much as I love BMW makes me nutty.
How is shadow line not standard (not even an option but apparently special order) on M sport 6 when it was standard on the 335i in 2009 (before even 2010's 335is.)??? Just goofy.

Considering the 6 is the top of the line BMW Coupe (for now) all the ordering off the menu and then having to ask the chef for something off it sours (just a bit) all the other joy of owning. When you get 5 series or higher a lot of these little things need to be check it if you want it (included in the paid for package not extra nickel and dimes.) They do it w. a bigger ticket option like Navigation etc (as they should.)

I am presently in a 2012 5 (they've got for sale) while they've got my car. The car has every imaginable option available--except Nav. Retarded. Feels like I rented this thing from Enterprise.:rofl:

Seems to me they had to go out of their way to have the M sills not be back lit? Right? I mean if it comes standard otherwise they had to retool (somewhat) to leave it out. A weight issue? That's like the fat guy Super Sizing his order but ordering a diet coke. :rolleyes: Don't get me wrong I am in love w. the 2012 6's. But any way we look at it she's heavy. Weight of back lit sills don't factor in.

Thanks I feel better now,:bigpimp::dunno:

edit: I promise to never mention shadow line trim in another post/thread ever again...

Itinj6
01-22-2012, 10:37 AM
You wont, but i will lol... I'm so with you on the shadow line. I can guarantee though that as time goes by, there will me more options available. For example, X-Drive Version and Individual Composition which weren't available at first. I wont be surprised if shadow line will be an option soon. About the weight thing though, I was talking about the soft-close and auto trunk, not the door sills lol. Maybe less illumination=more sporty in their eyes, while more illumination=more luxurious.

You got a 5 as a loaner??? Lucky you, they gave me a base model 328xi lol. When they run out of BMW loaners (only 328s) they give you a Ford Escape lol.

JONNYCHIRO
01-22-2012, 10:48 AM
You wont, but i will lol... I'm so with you on the shadow line. I can guarantee though that as time goes by, there will me more options available. For example, X-Drive Version and Individual Composition which weren't available at first. I wont be surprised if shadow line will be an option soon. About the weight thing though, I was talking about the soft-close and auto trunk, not the door sills lol. Maybe less illumination=more sporty in their eyes, while more illumination=more luxurious.

You got a 5 as a loaner??? Lucky you, they gave me a base model 328xi lol. When they run out of BMW loaners (only 328s) they give you a Ford Escape lol.

Yeah, I'll probably break that promise. ;)

Not just a 5 but a 2012 they've got for sale! I felt bad (not really) about driving from Tampa to Miami. I did call them (as a courtesy to see if they wanted me to take something else.)

I probably should've read into it that you were talking about the trunk. Still, I don't think it's weight They seem to do what they want to. Because, for one, they can. I mean these little off putting things don't factor in that much when you've got such a beauty. It's like dating the really hot girl. Who really cares about her shortcomings... :thumbup:

southern6er22
01-22-2012, 11:56 AM
I guess it helps to sell cars having the base price low and jacking it up with so many options. They would probably sell half as many if they built them all equipped like a CL550 and tried to sell them all at $110k. As for the weight, I think they did a pretty good job keeping the car fairly agile given its size. They certainly didn't compromise acceleration with it being roughly 4.5 (to 4.9 depending on what you read) to the 60 mark. As much as I would like to fault them for leaving out a few options, I have to give it to them for creating an amazing machine. Probably the biggest reason I went for this over the M3 is the luxury and extra gadgets. I think they know the market pretty well. If you just want a fun sports car, get an M3. If you want a powerful, aggressive-looking, luxury GT, get a 6er. I was so tempted by the new M5, but I just love the looks of the 650i.

On a side note, reading the reviews of this car has been one of the most entertaining parts of the research and buying experience. A few of my favorites are (paraphrased):
1. Congratulations, if you are looking at this car it is your third car... not ever... in your garage right now.
2. No other car is so great at promoting the greatness of its owner.
3. "When a Jaguar XK driver steps from that romantic machine, you expect to see a bouquet in hand. The 6 Series owner would emerge with a cage full of lab mice that had been exposed to brutal g-force experiments."

I'm really hoping that this 6er makes the cut for Top Gear. I would love to see what they have to say about it good, bad, or otherwise. I'm sure it will include their favorite "lack of personality" line that is reserved for Jags and Alfas.

JONNYCHIRO
01-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Couldn't agree more Southern w the base price/optioning up statements.

My rant was about the little things they leave out in option packages we pay for (we've covered here.)

I also found some of the reviews to be
a kick to read and like you was seriously tempted by M3/5.

The 2009 335i I just stepped out of was stage 2 tuned and modded in other ways--it was an absolute rocket and darted around insanely.

The six is a different kind of vehicle.
I couldn't be happier even as I wait for the tune mod to come out.

TopDownInFL
01-22-2012, 05:56 PM
I really would like to understand the logic behind some of their decisions. I cannot think of any reason for not offering an automatic trunk and soft close doors. I'm not saying that they have to be standard (like heated seats should be in a $83k base car), but they seem like easy money for BMW. Most probably wouldn't be think twice about paying $600 for each of those options in this car. But what do I know???

You know exactly what the rest of us think. I would've paid for both those options in a heartbeat. My friend's new 535 has the auto trunk open as well (motion sensors under the back of the car, presumably for a busy mom holding bags of groceries - not trying to stereotype, but good product management DOES require you to build personas of who you think is buying your product). I would've loved that option as well.

thom.one.two
01-22-2012, 11:23 PM
I'll bet they are saving at least the soft-close doors for the M6, like they did in the last generation. I'll also bet we will see 3.8 or less 0-60 times with the new M.

roadsta
01-23-2012, 12:30 AM
I'll bet they are saving at least the soft-close doors for the M6, like they did in the last generation.

My 650 has soft close doors. It is not even an option, it came standard. I think it is also so in Europe.

Unfortunately, it does not have the auto or soft-close trunk.

r

JONNYCHIRO
01-23-2012, 09:26 AM
Saving that kind of touch for M6 makes sense (tho I no like).

Guys check out the thread I started.
I posted a pic the dealer sent me of my car.

I likey. Tell me what ya think :)

Itinj6
01-23-2012, 12:50 PM
See my post in your pic thread. You make me sick...

LOL J/K :)

JONNYCHIRO
01-23-2012, 01:02 PM
I did. Loved it! Black Trim was not an option! I had to have it!

Don't get me wrong any/all config of these babies are sweet! But for me it's dialed in right! I wanted to punch someone for not having it come from the factory.

I only hope you luck out like I did for your build.

car-fan
01-24-2012, 09:52 PM

I picked up a new F12/F13 brochure at the dealer and it lists the availability of "soft close" doors...:dunno:

Itinj6
01-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Interesting. I wonder when that was published and if it is a brochure specifically from BMWNA.

Also, I wonder if they are trying to entice people into the 7K+ Individual option for the shadow line trim that is included in it.

southern6er22
01-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Car-fan's comment reminded me that I had also seen that somewhere, so I looked through my files and found it in the Full Brochure from BMWUSA.com ("request a brochure"). I downloaded the brochure on 11/28/2011, and I think that was pretty soon after it was published/posted as I was regularly checking to see if a real brochure had been posted (instead of the mini promo thing that they had up for a long time). It does state (p. 58 under "comfort access") "soft-close automatic feature gently closes the doors" under the Equipment Features and Options (no indication of standard versus option/included in a package). I'm not sure what the deal is. Maybe it is an "Individual" exclusive item, or maybe it was accidentally put in the brochure. I kind of remember someone somewhere in another country stating that they could get the soft-close as an option.

I have a feeling that this mystery is about to become the new M Sport exhaust debate. lol.

Itinj6
01-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Roadsta (a few posts up) in Oz said he has them on his BLACK SAPPHIRE M-SPORT. That color isn't available for us either if we get M-Sport. The only place I read about the soft close doors is the manual, but that's common for all countries. Wonder if it will be a future option, like the Individual Composition and XDrive (not available off the bat). If so, there will be a lot of angry BMW owners I'm sure. Hmm. Speaking of the exhaust, I asked my dealer about it and he said the M packages is strictly cosmetic, but he does hear a difference actually. When I asked my sales manager, his eyes lit up and said, they will be changing the exhaust for future M-Sport models lol. Only the BMW Gods know this stuff

southern6er22
01-24-2012, 11:02 PM
I want to know if the 2013 models are going to get the bump up to 445 hp that the Gran Coupe is getting. I really hope that they don't start changing stuff up too much... especially since they'll be building 2013s by the time I get my car at the rate that this is going. If they do, I will definitely be swearing to the BMW gods. lol.

JONNYCHIRO
01-25-2012, 04:20 AM
I doubt the exhaust is strictly "cosmetic" as the salesman stated.

Air intake and exhaust--one of the key ways to increase performance of a vehicle.

I too know I read about soft close in
the brochure. Like a doofus I was trying to soft close the door in the show room for five minutes :(

There was also a diamond patterned trim that was supposedly standard e m package but not a choice when it came to build-which I didn't want.

Itinj6
01-25-2012, 07:14 AM
BTW, The white ash trim on the Individual Comp is absolutely stunning.

My X6 has soft close and i can't count how many times I tries to soft close my 6er lol. I've gotten so used to it.

On one of the dealer brochures, it says you can get a moonlight black soft top with the M-Sport Vert. I don't see that on the configurator.

This whole car needs to be on "Mythbusters" ... The whole freakin thing lol

Itinj6
01-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Bad news... I can't swap a convertible for a coupe and they just so happen to have an identical one to my old one in stock. So no custom order, no M-Sport, no LED headlights, no B&O... Oh well. Thanks for playing guys. A little disappointed but still a 650 Vert. Life could be worse lol

JONNYCHIRO
01-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Hey, there's no such thing as a crap 2012 6 series build.

You're config is a bad mamba jamba.

Now you're fiancé can smoke come spring--drop top (car. Not fiancé.) ;)

You're gonna still trick it out black this n that right ??? :)

southern6er22
01-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Sorry to hear that. The good thing about these forums is that you have a sympathetic audience with regard to these cars. For instance, most people just don't sympathize with me when I tell them I had to buy a new pair of non-polarized Oakleys because of the HUD... okay, bad example, buy you know what I mean.

On the plus side, no waiting for a new car, and, as Jonny said, crap 2012 6ers don't exist.

Itinj6
01-25-2012, 05:58 PM
Of course guys, thanks for hearing me out. I guess I just got too overly excited about the thought of custom ordering that it bummed me out when they shot me down on the spot all of a sudden Also, most definitely getting me some black this and that :)

Anyway, my fiancée, the smoking pitbull, called BMW corporate. We both thought that they just want move what they already have on the lot. Didn't make sense that they made me waste all that time looking at all available coupes all over the country and now it has to be a convertible on their lot only. They also previously said that I can custom order. She trade assisted a 3er for an X5 a few years ago for crying out loud, same stealership. When I started the custom order, got to coupe and carbon black, sales manager received a phone call and had to answer it. When he got off, he came back with the bad news. I'm not buying it. Waiting to hear back from corporate. My fiancée doesn't screw around. Lol

JONNYCHIRO
01-25-2012, 06:20 PM
That's my kinda girl!

I'm glad u posted this. Honestly I started to type a post suggesting it
but let it slide.

They took back the vehicle owning the flaw. I'm with you man. I don't buy that same swap BS.

If there's a rule like that. There's an exception to the same.

Fight your right to LED and any other aspect of the build. Don't swallow what the dealer is asking you to.

Fight. Man. You're a local interest story. "Nation's Hero Back From A-Stan Put In Harm's Way Back Home
By Flawed BMW". ;).

Make noise. Make them want to give you your way just to get rid if you.

It's ridiculous that you even have to fight. It should be. "Hey sorry we gave you a jacked up $100,000
(give/take) vehicle. How the ****
can we make up for it?????"

They owe you. Period. You're going to pay for whatever it is you buy it's absurd that you must stick to your old build.

Itinj6
01-25-2012, 06:35 PM
That's my kinda girl!

I'm glad u posted this. Honestly I started to type a post suggesting it
but let it slide.

They took back the vehicle owning the flaw. I'm with you man. I don't buy that same swap BS.

If there's a rule like that. There's an exception to the same.

Fight your right to LED and any other aspect of the build. Don't swallow what the dealer is asking you to.

Fight. Man. You're a local interest story. "Nation's Hero Back From A-Stan Put In Harm's Way Back Home
By Flawed BMW". ;).

Make noise. Make them want to give you your way just to get rid if you.

It's ridiculous that you even have to fight. It should be. "Hey sorry we gave you a jacked up $100,000
(give/take) vehicle. How the ****
can we make up for it?????"

They owe you. Period. You're going to pay for whatever it is you buy it's absurd that you must stick to your old build.

I just read this out loud to my fiancée and we were both ROFL. Especially love the "Fight your right to LED". Awesome!!!
Believe me, we ain't done with them by damn sight. I'm gonna call some hard pipe hittin mutha effas and go medieval on their asses.

Did I mention how she got me back 7 grand that was fraudulently taken from my back account by a collection attorney while I was in Ass-crack-istan... Within 24 hours lol... True story. Even a military JAG lawyer said, "don't expect us to wave a magical wand and get your money back. It's gonna take months"

southern6er22
01-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Has your fiancé beaten the custom order coupe out of BMWNA yet?

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Has your fiancé beaten the custom order coupe out of BMWNA yet?

LMAO. It's still being worked by our GM. That's why I wrote that in your thread. It's not over just yet lol. I should know by early this week. He was busy working the trade assist for her X6 all last week.

southern6er22
01-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Good luck!

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks man. Fingers are crossed. I saw a coupe M-Sport for the first time in person at the dealer yesterday in Deep Sea Blue. It is teh sex. Besides, I have a bike to get my roofless kicks with.

Any update on where yours is?

southern6er22
01-29-2012, 01:56 PM
It's at the port in Georgia. I'm supposed to hear from my CA tomorrow, so hopefully he can give me a pretty definitive date. I'm hoping for end of the week or beginning of next week. That may be optimistic though.

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Wow, that long? Really?

southern6er22
01-29-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm hoping to know more tomorrow, but from what I've read it takes about 7 days. I've never hoped so much for wrong information... except for when I found out it takes 2 weeks to cross the Atlantic. Lol.

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Well, here's wishing you a speedy and painless delivery. The anticipation makes it so much more awesome. You will love it.

southern6er22
01-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks! I want to have sufficient time to play before I head to the Performance Center. I want to be sure I get adequate solutions to any first world problems that may arise and cause me to lose sleep. haha.

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Haha I understand. I have seen nights like that.

JONNYCHIRO
01-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Southern, you never know. Mine came in 2.5 weeks early. No hold ups. Hoping same for you.

Now all they got to do is clear it @ customs. After that it's on a truck to your dealer. Dealer will take a day getting it ready. You're so close man!

Itinj- best of luck beating them down for your due.

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Lol, thanks man.

southern6er22
01-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Thanks! I've got my fingers crossed. Last night I spent a fortune on iTunes and reorganized my playlists in preparation for the big day while I had a slideshow of 6er pics rotating through my Apple TV. Pathetic? Yes. Worth it? Totally.

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 02:51 PM
^^^ You are not the only only one lol. I didn't sleep for a whole night because I was doing my playlists.

JONNYCHIRO
01-29-2012, 02:55 PM
^^^ You are not the only only one lol. I didn't sleep for a whole night because I was doing my playlists.

Just a night? Slacker. ;)

+1 on dialing **** in!!!!

southern6er22
01-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Haha. I'm leaving my old iPhone 4 plugged into the USB in the armrest for music purposes until I decide I need something with a data plan to do more than music + cover art. Hoping I don't have any comparability issues, and I really don't want to have to dock. That reminds me of Mercedes/BMW circa 2001.

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Lol I suppose that was very slackerish of me.

I dont think you should have any issues with the iPhone 4. My 4S works like a charm an I use it for everything (phone, music, cover art) though I still haven't tried docking. Whatever you get for your phone, make sure you go through the list of compatible phones. BMWNA lists this somewhere on their website and the manual references the link to it as well.

For the record, I am a previous Blackberry owner and I switched to iPhone for only 2 reasons:
A. There is an app for my motorcycle alarm, for the iPhone.
B. Apple is optimized for BMW.

I love the iPhone 100x more anyway.

southern6er22
01-29-2012, 03:53 PM
I've had iPhones since the original and can't imagine anything else. I've had every generation (only shattered one - quite an accomplishment, I think), so I'm on the 4S now. Glad to hear there aren't any bluetooth comparability problems with it. I know this sounds spoiled, but I really can't be bothered to take my phone out of my pocket. It would be nice if they could work Siri activation into a button somewhere.

dalekressin
01-29-2012, 03:56 PM
X drive for me in Wisconsin all the way and more lokely for you as well.
I have a 330XI 2006 that I am trying to sell. I will tell you, this car bar far is the best winter driver I've had including my Toyota 4 Runner.

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Yeah you won't have to take the phone out of your pocket at all. You can even stream music via Bluetooth on it. Pretty amazing.

With the Siri, an idrive integration would be amazing. I don't think BMW has done anything for the iphone 4s though as of yet. The cradle isn't 100% compatible yet from what I understand but at least you can hear Siri through the car's speakers. I'm really hoping for a software update soon. Would be awesomeness if you can send and receive audible/ voice texts and email through Siri, via the idrive.

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 04:05 PM
X drive for me in Wisconsin all the way and more lokely for you as well.
I have a 330XI 2006 that I am trying to sell. I will tell you, this car bar far is the best winter driver I've had including my Toyota 4 Runner.

Thanks for your input. I value the RWD + Integral Active Steering very much so probably not gonna go with the XDrive. I have an X6 at my disposal anyway for the few times it does snow here every year.

I also love the Parking Assistant which XDrive doesn't have :)

southern6er22
01-29-2012, 05:05 PM
I'm hoping to get some side-by-side comparisons between the two. I've got my one-on-one Friday and then a 2-day car control Saturday and Sunday. Hopefully over those three days in February I can get behind the wheel and feel the differences with some of those options.

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm hoping to get some side-by-side comparisons between the two. I've got my one-on-one Friday and then a 2-day car control Saturday and Sunday. Hopefully over those three days in February I can get behind the wheel and feel the differences with some of those options.

IMO, the XDrive has more road feel while the RWD feels more numb, but I'm a huge fan of the IAS and nimbleness it provides. Both have their pros and cons. I would love an XDrive with IAS. Really can't go wrong with either.

Itinj6
02-03-2012, 07:41 PM
I got it!!! I got approved for the COUPE!!! It already has a production number and everything!!!