PDA

View Full Version : On the lot models...

southern6er22
01-20-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm just curious to see what others around the country have seen at their dealerships with regard to F12/F13s on the lots.

As I think most of us would agree, the new 6er set a new standard for BMW luxury and styling with the higher end models with regard to the interior trim (wood and aluminum offerings), amount of Nappa leather covered surfaces, black ceramic controls, and the Nappa dash/doors with contrast stitching. Additionally, the LEDs and M Sport package, in my opinion, transform the look of the car depending on the type of car you are looking to drive (i.e. conservative, luxury coupe vs. aggressive, sporty styling).

Most of the cars I have seen at my dealer here in southern Alabama are convertibles (predictable given the climate), but most, actually almost all, of them do not have M Sport, LEDs, Nappa dash with contrast stitching, and ceramic controls.

I was not planning on purchasing the M sport until I saw it in person on a coupe, but the Nappa dash with contrast stitching and ceramic controls were always a must since seeing the original press release pics.

Seeing all of the cars at the dealer without the Nappa dash/stitching/ceramic definitely reaffirmed my choice of getting these options. There is no comparison between the Nappa and the "leather-ish," pebbly material, and the ceramic versus aluminum controls, in my opinion.

I just can't see the average customer for this $100,000+ car opting to save $1500 by not getting the Nappa dash (and similar options) on a car such as this. Same with the new LED headlights.

I'm just curious what other dealerships around the country are stocking. There is less big money in my city compared to bigger cities like Houston, LA, and the like, but these just seem like options they'd be tacking on to every car that left the assembly line.

thom.one.two
01-20-2012, 01:21 PM
I completely agree with you about the stitching. That one option on a 90K+ car should just be part of the standard interior.

In Houston, I see mainly convertibles, and my car was the first F12 M Sport with Bang and Olefson in Houston. I haven't seen another, but I'm sure that there are some by now. Most of the cars that I see here are sport package, and every one of them have the contrast stitching. I haven't seen a single car with the basic dash. I see lots with the upgraded sport wheels, but very few with M Sport. There was one coupe that had come in before mine that had the B&O system with M Sport. It was space grey and very, very nice. I pass the BMW dealership often, so I keep my eye on what is moving and what is not. There was a burgandy 650 with sport package that sat for a while, but the others moved quickly.

After living in this one for a thousand miles now, I would re-order the exact same car. If I had to put into priority, I would chose:
1. M Sport Package
2. 20's
3. Contrast Stitching
4. B&O System
5. Active Steering
6. Driver's Assistance Package
7. Comfort Seats
8. BMW Aps
9. Adaptive Cruise Control (I don't have this, and it might be awesome. I just have never used cruise control in Houston traffic)
10. Pedestrian/Night Vision (I don't have this either)

I also got the paint and rim sealer. I have 1,100 miles on my car and three months now, and I have yet to clean the rims. My last 650 had huge break dust on the rims, but they said that with this product, the dust doesn't stick as much. The interior is white, so I opted for it at $1200.00, but I'll tell you I can see a huge difference from my last 650 with keeping the exterior looking like new. If I had ordered black interior like in my last 650, I wouldn't have opted for this and wouldn't have known the difference.

I also had a K40 installed by the dealer so that they couldn't blame me if the car had electrical issues. The warning with this is that the blind spot detection and the lane departure system sets off your radar as the car uses the K band. You have to either turn off K band or turn off those features. Here in Houston, we don't use K band anymore so when I leave the city, I have to turn the K band back on.

Good luck with your new car! Order it the way you want it. I heard European Delivery was awesome, and if you are not a member of the BMW association, register. After one year, I think, they will send you a discount on your next BMW (from what I was told...just joined).

southern6er22
01-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Thank you for restoring my faith in BMW. I'm glad to see that real cities have equipped these cars in a way that does them justice. The two coupes here have had the B&O, luxury seats, and Driver Assistance but no Nappa Dash or contrast stitching... makes no sense to me.

Below is a pic of the non-Nappa dash finish. Very disappointing on a $103,000 car.

Itinj6
01-21-2012, 01:34 AM
Here in New Jersey. I have not seen any without the nappa dash and ceramic controls. Some are Sport, some have B&O. None, however have the LED's. Most have drive assistant, only seen one with the night vision and none with the active cruise. I havent seen any without the active steering. Most have the lux seating, cold weather and premium sound. Also, most of them stocked now are XDrive being that winters could get harsh here. The X-drive I tested the other day was an Individual with B&O an MSRP of $113,XXX. They just threw me and my fiancée the keys. Didn't even say a word... I'm in North Jersey, just minutes away from NYC.

southern6er22
01-21-2012, 07:42 AM
Damn! I need too move to a real city. lol.

XZLR8
01-21-2012, 09:56 AM
I loaded up my Coupe past the $100K mark (B&O, ARS, Ceramic Controls), etc., but skipped options like the leather dash with the stitching... on purpose. I'm still a bit torn about it, frankly, because I love the look of the leather, but am decidedly NOT a fan of the stitching. Were I to do it over again, I'm not sure what I'd do. I do sort of wish I had a leather dash (the non-leather dash isn't terrible and it's super easy to clean), but every time I see that stitching in a car at the dealership, I'm glad I passed. Leather with NO stitching would have been an absolute winner for me.

My only real complaint was that I couldn't order the LED headlights on my car. They look AMAZING.

Elias
01-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Yep if I had to do it over again I would've gotten the LED's and I like the contrast stitching but not on a black interior thats why I passed on it.

thom.one.two
01-21-2012, 01:29 PM
I agree. I do like the LEDs, but mine was hitting 115K, so I had to draw the line somewhere. I wish I had drawn it out a little further LOL.

gehmjc21
02-14-2012, 05:59 AM
I just ordered my 650xi. However the 6er I drove wasn't m sport. I did order the m sport option because of the aggressive look. Are there any noticeable driving differences with the m sport? Taking ED this July for my honeymoon! You know you've found the right woman when she agrees to that :)

southern6er22
02-14-2012, 08:55 AM
The only real difference I found was the exhaust. Non-M Sport sounds like a country club cruiser while the M Sport sounds like a savage beast when you start it up and put your foot down. My test drive was limited in the non-M Sport, so I can't give too thorough of a comparison. I also opted for xDrive and added ARS and am glad I did. It is amazingly stable as you shoot off from zero and corner. I drove several models at the Performance Center this weekend and was reassured on my choice. The only car I really preferred over the 6er was the M3 - but I knew that before I ordered mine. M3 is awesome, but the 6 makes up the difference with the toys and luxury it offers. I found the coupe + ARS drove a lot more like an M3 than the convertible without ARS.

pan
02-14-2012, 09:05 AM
9. Adaptive Cruise Control (I don't have this, and it might be awesome. I just have never used cruise control in Houston traffic)

One of the nicest aspects to adaptive cruise control is in stop and go traffic. The car starts with a touch of the accelerator and stops without you touching the brakes.

isildain
02-14-2012, 02:24 PM
At my local dealership, the 6ers are are to find. They got their first one back in August, and it was sold before they had a chance to take the plastic off the seats. And I had asked my CA to call me when it came in to test drive it. The same thing happened two more times. I finally had to go to a different state to test drive the non m-sport version. After a few months, I finally got the opportunity to order mine. When we walked into the showroom, they had an m-sport in carbon black that had just been delivered, but didn't have all the options I wanted. I hadn't planned on ordering the m-sport (I've never driven one or heard one), but my wife loved the color so much that she insisted that I get it. I found out later that they sold that car that night. even in West Virginia they can't keep the 6ers on the lot.

Souther6er22, I saw your pictures from the Performance Center of the carbon black vert. I hope that's not mine. I'd be really depressed to know it's sitting in SC and I can't get it. I feel better thinking it's still in Baltimore.

TopDownInFL
02-14-2012, 05:51 PM
I agree. I do like the LEDs, but mine was hitting 115K, so I had to draw the line somewhere. I wish I had drawn it out a little further LOL.

#firstworldproblems

:rofl:

southern6er22
02-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Souther6er22, I saw your pictures from the Performance Center of the carbon black vert. I hope that's not mine. I'd be really depressed to know it's sitting in SC and I can't get it. I feel better thinking it's still in Baltimore.

Are you doing PCD? If not, then I seriously doubt that it is yours. The phone recording to check the status was very accurate (at least consistent with the dealer's info) until leaving the U.S. port. My car was at the dealer within two days of it hitting the port, and that was the first time the recording was off. Hopefully you'll get behind the wheel soon! Delivery was one of the best days of my life :)

isildain
02-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Are you doing PCD? If not, then I seriously doubt that it is yours. The phone recording to check the status was very accurate (at least consistent with the dealer's info) until leaving the U.S. port. My car was at the dealer within two days of it hitting the port, and that was the first time the recording was off. Hopefully you'll get behind the wheel soon! Delivery was one of the best days of my life :)

PCD on 3/20. It's was dropped off in Baltimore on 2/6. I was hoping for delivery next week, but apparently they're all in LA for the 3 series premiere. I was offered a time between 2/29 and 3/10, but I couldn't make those dates, so they're holding it 'til 3/20. Until then, I delude myself into thinking it hasn't cleared customs and is unavailable to me. I looked closer at the leather in your picture, and it looked black or gray, thus, not mine.

JONNYCHIRO
02-14-2012, 09:14 PM
I gotta agree w. those that aren't fans of the contrast stitch. I am also not crazy about the look of the ceramic.
That aside I am not into features that do the driving/parking/telling me what's in my blind spot for me (or assist it in any way.)

I see my Dad in the passenger seat saying "Damn son! You getting soft? I taught I you how to parallel park in downtown Manhattan when you were 15!"
And an option that helps me go downhills are you kidding me? Seriously?

I don't mean to offend anyone who digs these things. I readily admit my Dad warped my thinking along time ago. :)
When all the other little kids had floaties on their arms I got chucked in the pool.

I think they call that child abuse now. But I learned to swim...
In other news .30 of U.S.A children these days are clinically obese...
But I digress.
Carry on gents. :)

southern6er22
02-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Glad to know it is not yours sitting there. That would have really surprised me because they really take impeccable care of the cars for delivery. I can't imagine that they sit out their uncovered for very long - if ever. As I mentioned above, so many Bimmers all over the place I couldn't keep them all straight.

You're going to love PCD. I had a great time. I did the 2-day car control course right after, and we did a lot of the same stuff in that as we did on the track for the PCD - just a lot more time during the course. PCD was nice because you get to use a car similar to yours whereas the course uses 135i and 335i vehicles for most of the course exercises.

svp66
02-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Bought mine off the lot at BMW Minnetonka in Minneapolis. They had 3 650 xi at that time, all with M-sport / leather, none with LED (which I regret) or night vision (of which I am curious). Did not see a non-ceramic one, so I don't know what this option added.

Itinj6
02-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Bought mine off the lot at BMW Minnetonka in Minneapolis. They had 3 650 xi at that time, all with M-sport / leather, none with LED (which I regret) or night vision (of which I am curious). Did not see a non-ceramic one, so I don't know what this option added.

It's really just aesthetics. Just picture your shifter, I drive controller and radio buttons mirror black where it is presently aluminum colored on yours. I actually dont care much for it. I think the aluminum colored shifter and stuff will look much better with my brushed aluminum trim anyway. Same for the nappa dash and contrast stitching. I'm not a fan of it. It looks way too fufu for me lol. I like the rough sporty look of the regular dash w/o contrast stitching. I didn't add either to my custom order but it's all just my opinion. Others love it.

Edit- I read it wrong. Thought you said you didn't see any with ceramic

thom.one.two
02-14-2012, 11:56 PM
JomarT...I just read your post. I live in Houston. I've bought every BMW from them. But trust me, it was out of necessity only. Customer service=0. Buying experience=0. Service=0. Just show up with enough money to get the deal closed, and don't look for roses either before or after the...u-hu-mmm...date. It's a love/hate relationship at Momentum (especially the one on 59). Momentum BMW West is a little better, so hopefully you are talking about them.

I've spent over 300K with them since November 2009, and yet to get a call.

Itinj6
02-15-2012, 12:34 AM
JomarT...I just read your post. I live in Houston. I've bought every BMW from them. But trust me, it was out of necessity only. Customer service=0. Buying experience=0. Service=0. Just show up with enough money to get the deal closed, and don't look for roses either before or after the...u-hu-mmm...date. It's a love/hate relationship at Momentum (especially the one on 59). Momentum BMW West is a little better, so hopefully you are talking about them.

I've spent over 300K with them since November 2009, and yet to get a call.

Yikes!

JONNYCHIRO
02-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Yikes!

Double Yikes!

Take your business from them.