PDA

View Full Version : Slippery winter tires on dry surface

coolhandshin
01-21-2012, 05:49 AM
I had factory Dunlop SP Sport MAXX GT RunOnFlat 245/40R19, 275/35R19
and was very happy with it's accerlerating, braking and cornering performance.

As temperature drop below 0 celsius, I put on a new set of wheels with Dunlop WinterSport 3D DSST (RunOnFlat) 245/45/R18 front and rear
and it's slippery as hell even on dry roads, compared to the summer tires.
I brake a little hard and I skid, I turn corners a little hard and I drift like a drift maniac.

Is this because these 245 width and 18 inch small wheels are just not big enough for 6 series' torque? or are all winter tires so much slippery than summer tires?
Or are theses WinterSport 3D runflat previous generation runflats with poor performance? maybe the new 4D is better?

Should I get 19 inch winter tires next year?

kmorgan_260
01-21-2012, 06:07 PM
My experience with several different brands is the same as what you experienced. Winter tires just do NOT grip the dry roads as well as summer tires. They do work much better in snow and ice but you have to drive conservatively with them. That is why I am so eager to put my summer tires on each spring. I have actually thought about getting a third set of rims/tires that I can use in the Spring and Fall with all season tires. They would handle a little ice/snow in a pinch but still provide good dry/wet traction in cold temps.

Cars
03-20-2012, 01:51 AM
ONLY use Michelin, there is a reason why BMW reserved Super Sport for M6 and gave regular 6 the crappy dunlop tires.

the only true max performance tires are from Michelin, all other brands have no business here.

Summer: Super Sport

Winter: Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3

DEATH2000
03-20-2012, 02:26 AM
Winter tires are designed for stopping in snow and ice NOT grip in dry pavement.