PDA

View Full Version : New to this Board, question about Gas

CrackPuppy
05-01-2004, 02:44 PM
Hi, Was lurking around this board for a couple of months. Finally bought an 04 X5 3.0. Waiting for delivery as I am posting this. However, during the sale of my X5, the salesperson told me that since i bought the 3.0, that it was ok to use 87 octane gas. And not even worry about not using 91 octane or better. What do you guys think? Should i do what he says, cause he told me this was from experience since he drives a 330 and has been doing that without problems.

Clarke
05-01-2004, 03:08 PM
Your Client Advisor is a moron.:thumbdwn: Yes your car will run on lower octane fuel but it at the very least it will retard the timing to compensate.This will cost you horsepower and responsiveness.BMW might be interested in the advice he is doling out.

LeucX3
05-01-2004, 06:42 PM
Yeah, he's clueless. I think he might have come from an Acura dealership.

Seriously though, premium gas is relatively cheap insurance on your $45k+ purchase.

Patrick330i
05-01-2004, 09:14 PM
Hi, Was lurking around this board for a couple of months. Finally bought an 04 X5 3.0. Waiting for delivery as I am posting this. However, during the sale of my X5, the salesperson told me that since i bought the 3.0, that it was ok to use 87 octane gas. And not even worry about not using 91 octane or better. What do you guys think? Should i do what he says, cause he told me this was from experience since he drives a 330 and has been doing that without problems.

It's funny you bring this up. I am in Portland right now and I gas'd up last night. (Mandatory full serve up here.) The attendant was surprised I wanted Premium. I guess with the price being $2.27/gal., which is what we are paying in So.Cal. for 87, he thought I'd want the cheap stuff. I told him no way and asked him if he is seeing other BMWs getting 87. In his experience, almost all of them are. And this station is in an affluent neighborhood. Go figure. :tsk:

bmwvek
05-12-2004, 07:15 PM
sry, quick off topic....how much did u purchase the 04 X5 3.0 for??? tia :)