PDA

View Full Version : Active Roll Stabilisation (ARS)

roadsta
01-24-2012, 11:35 PM
On another thread someone asked about this. This neat BMW tech site gives a good explanation. Essentially, it does what the name suggests. It is the same as 'Dynamic Drive' in the rest of the world.

It comes standard on the 650i here. Works a charm.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/technology_guide/articles/dynamic_drive.html

roadsta

Itinj6
01-25-2012, 12:07 AM
What? Standard for you? It's a $2,000 option here in the states lol. And I thought it was different from Dynamic Drive. I thought Dynamic Drive was the Sport+, Sport, Comfort, DSC, DTC, etc which is standard for us in the states...

I am more and more confused by the F12/13 everyday lol

roadsta
01-25-2012, 12:42 AM
What? Standard for you? It's a $2,000 option here in the states lol. And I thought it was different from Dynamic Drive. I thought Dynamic Drive was the Sport+, Sport, Comfort, DSC, DTC, etc which is standard for us in the states...

There are essentially two systems - adaptive drive (dynamic damper control) which is the sport, sport+ etc. Then, separately, there is dynamic drive (ARS), which is the roll stabilisation.

Yes, we do get a few more things standard, but the cars cost US$250k. Happy to trade for your situation any day of the week...

JONNYCHIRO
01-25-2012, 04:33 AM
That's it! No reflector on the front qtr panes and Std ARS.
And Black Shadowline trim comes w
M package!

Jeez what else are us freedom loving
Americans getting hosed on (2012 6 series wise???). Wasn't meant to spur a geopolitic derailment. ;)

I bet it's Obama's fault! ;) JK see above.

I'm moving to Australia M8!

Itinj6
01-25-2012, 06:59 AM
I read this section in the manual ad nauseum so I thought I was right lol. It says that Dynamic Drive is the Sport, Sport+, DSC, etc and Adaptive Drive is Dynamic Drive and Dynamic Damping Control together. I don't even see mention of ARS in the manual lol. Might be different for you guys. Thanks for posting that link though. Definitely a good read regardless.

Oh and you guys get a special exhaust with M-Sport so Blhppppppppp :)

southern6er22
01-25-2012, 11:15 AM
They need to broaden their vocabulary beyond dynamic and sport. Those two words are part of every abbreviation in the manual. They need to stop letting the marketing people have a say in the naming of these systems and let the engineers do that. It may be long and overly complicated, but isn't that kind of expected with a BMW? I guess the average BMW owner can't be bothered.

Itinj6
01-25-2012, 01:32 PM
they need to broaden their vocabulary beyond dynamic and sport. Those two words are part of every abbreviation in the manual. They need to stop letting the marketing people have a say in the naming of these systems and let the engineers do that. It may be long and overly complicated, but isn't that kind of expected with a bmw? I guess the average bmw owner can't be bothered.

+1000

JONNYCHIRO
01-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Yes, we do get a few more things standard, but the cars cost US$250k. Happy to trade for your situation any day of the week...
You paid $250,000. Holy ****!
Are you kidding me?????

I love love love the vehicle. But man they screw you hard in that deal!!!

roadsta
01-25-2012, 06:29 PM
You paid $250,000. Holy ****!
Are you kidding me?????

Sadly, no. Cars, other than your most basic cars, are very expensive here. Cars like these attract luxury car tax. That alone was more than $40k for this car. Then there is stamp duty (just a state gov't ripoff) which is $10k. In the car's base price, there is some import levy. On top of all this, sales tax.

A monumental rip-off. (But at least the cars come quite fully loaded.)

The only upside - there are not many around. I have not seen a single other coupe here yet, one or two 'verts.

For the price you guys pay for a 650, you might get a very basic 325 sedan here.

r

Itinj6
01-25-2012, 07:29 PM
That's crazy... But like you mentioned, at least you get some sort of exclusivity. I love having something that other people don't.