PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust sound mystery solved!

thom.one.two
01-25-2012, 05:36 PM
I went to the Houston car show today. While looking at a very basic 640 convertible, a BMW rep asked me if I liked the car. I explained that I have a 650 and love it. What came to mind? Freaking exhaust, right?

I asked if all 650's have the same exhaust. He said, "Yes." There are no components on the M-Sport that are not on the non-M-Sport. However, he explained, "All M-Sport F12/F13 have had the air intake and fuel mixture changed which creates a burbbling/popping sound through the exhaust system."

So, I know nothing about mechanics, but I always described the sound as "tinkering with the timing" and that's pretty much what it is. So, there is a different exhaust sound made from the M-Sport 650. This does not apply to the 640.

southern6er22
01-25-2012, 05:42 PM
So it sounds more like a "sport-tuned" exhaust. I guess that's what you'd call it even though no changes were made to the actual exhaust system. I'm glad to know that there is some type of difference and it isn't all in my head. You'd think that they would promote the fact that they tinkered with it to improve the sound. Glad we finally have it straight. Thanks!

Itinj6
01-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Nice find!

Now to get my non-M exhaust tinkered with :)