PDA

View Full Version : Automatic High Beams.

JONNYCHIRO
01-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Is this standard w 6?
Or is it part of LED's?

Tried it tonight.
Got a boner. :)

I

southern6er22
01-25-2012, 06:37 PM
I think it is standard. It is listed on my build sheet as no charge and separate from the LEDs.

dalekressin
01-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Nice option for rural driving/

XZLR8
01-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Unfortunately, it's not available without the LEDs. Love the option on my X6 and 5er.

southern6er22
01-25-2012, 07:30 PM
I just looked at two pics of window stickers I have. One for a convertible (without LEDs) has it listed under the Driver Assistance Package and the second is on a Coupe (with LEDs), and auto beams are listed as an included option that is not listed under the LEDs or the Driver Assistance (listed at the end between Ambience lighting and BMW Assist - all of which are "included"). I didn't get the Driver Assistance on my coupe but did opt for LEDs, and the auto beams are listed as included/no charge at the end of my build sheet.

XZLR8
01-25-2012, 07:33 PM
I don 't remember the specifics, but I do remember at the time I was ordering my Coupe, the configuration options were different for the Auto High Beams, depending on whether you were building a Coupe or a Vert. I also remember they were in the midst of making some changes, but nothing (even "special ordering") that would allow me to get the LEDs (and Auto High Beams) on my non-MSport Coupe with A/S 19s.

Itinj6
01-25-2012, 07:38 PM
I most definitely had them on mine without LEDs. This is a very strange topic that I was just looking into when searching for my trade assist. There are two driver assistance packages. ZDA and ZD2... ZDA has them and ZD2 doesn't. It is listed under Driver Assist on the spec sheet with ZDA. This is actually a good heads up for people wanting it.

MAKE SURE YOU ORDER ZDA DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE IF YOU WANT AUTO HIGH BEAMS :)

Edit- just found a spec sheet of one that has ZD2, but list auto high beams (5AC) as a no charge option. The one I just looked at previously has a ZD2 without auto high beams at all

XZLR8
01-25-2012, 07:39 PM
You have to order 20s, too, I believe.

JONNYCHIRO
01-25-2012, 07:42 PM
You have to order 20s, too, I believe.

If that's true that's whacky.
BMW has the goofiest build criteria.

XZLR8
01-25-2012, 07:45 PM
If that's true that's whacky.
BMW has the goofiest build criteria.
Agreed. It was the case when I ordered my car, although it could have changed since. My Sales Manager even asked the BMWNA rep what wheel size could possibly have to do with the headlights, but didn't get an answer.

Foolishness.

I love everything about my car and every build decision that I made, except I REALLY would have given anything (and probably, truth be told, paid anything) to have the LEDs.

Itinj6
01-25-2012, 07:49 PM
Found a spec sheet here that has M-sport with 19" wheels and it has the ZDA with auto high beams

southern6er22
01-25-2012, 07:50 PM
One thing I also came across with regard to the Driver Assistance Pkg is that it is different between the RWD and xDrive. xDrive doesn't give you the Parking Assist (guess they didn't want to re-engineer it for the system). They at least drop $400 for the loss... very kind of them.

XZLR8
01-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Found a spec sheet here that has M-sport with 19" wheels and it has the ZDA with auto high beams
Auto High Beams without LEDs? Didn't think that was possible. (I didn't so MSport anyway, so that wouldn't have helped me.)

Itinj6
01-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Another mystery lol.

southern6er22
01-25-2012, 07:58 PM
This video on BMWUSA.com (select the one titled "headlights" - 6th row, 1st column when all videos are shown) shows a non-LED convertible with auto beams.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2012/6/650ixDriveCoupe/6SeriesCoupeMediaGallery.aspx

Itinj6
01-25-2012, 08:03 PM
One thing I also came across with regard to the Driver Assistance Pkg is that it is different between the RWD and xDrive. xDrive doesn't give you the Parking Assist (guess they didn't want to re-engineer it for the system). They at least drop $400 for the loss... very kind of them.

Good observation! Apparently the ZDA is for XDrive and parking assist is deleted while auto high beams is added. ZD2 is for RWD and some have the 5AC auto high beam as a no charge option while others don't. I just looked at about 20 different spec sheets, some RWD, some Xdrive

Itinj6
01-25-2012, 08:04 PM
This video on BMWUSA.com (select the one titled "headlights" - 6th row, 1st column when all videos are shown) shows a non-LED convertible with auto beams.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2012/6/650ixDriveCoupe/6SeriesCoupeMediaGallery.aspx

I can personally vouch for this. My non LED vert has auto high beams

JONNYCHIRO
01-25-2012, 08:04 PM
At any rate if some got/no got it's safe to say some config have Auto HB as standard piggyback w certain packages.

In other cases you got to specify it.
Right?

I mean I didn't specifically order mine.
At least I don't recall ordering...

Must be my 20"s that locked me in. ;) jk

It must be the LED
OR LED/M Swirl combo that flipped the switch for Auto HB.

That's the only thing that makes sense after all this feedback. No?

southern6er22
01-25-2012, 08:10 PM
I think its kinda like the Ambient Lighting, BMW Assist, etc. It is a standard feature included on the buid sheet/window sticker so you feel like you are getting something for free that would otherwise get lost in the laudry list of standard features. Idk why XZLR8's doesn't have them. That's really weird.

Itinj6
01-25-2012, 08:11 PM
This is a good thread for prospective buyers to know what to ask for if they can't live without the Auto HB. Honestly, I thought it was standard until just the other day. I got lucky with mine too. I have a vert, non M, non LED, but I do have Drive Assist and the 20's

XZLR8
01-25-2012, 08:24 PM
I think its kinda like the Ambient Lighting, BMW Assist, etc. It is a standard feature included on the buid sheet/window sticker so you feel like you are getting something for free that would otherwise get lost in the laudry list of standard features. Idk why XZLR8's doesn't have them. That's really weird.
Yeah, it is. I know we tried everything, too. It must be due to my car being a Coupe, being xDrive, or both. I remember that option configurations for the Verts were different, but I don't know beyond that.

Ah, well, it will give me something to hope for on my 650i xDrive GranCoupe. Ha.

JONNYCHIRO
01-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Maybe XZLR8 has them but doesn't realize it...

Off the steering column (left)/your Hi Beam on/off switch the end has two Buttons. One (forget top or bottom one) is for computer info (avg speed, avg mpg, distance to empty etc) the other is Auto HB. ;)

Green lit icon will show on dash left side.

XZLR8
01-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Maybe XZLR8 has them but doesn't realize it...

Off the steering column (left)/your Hi Beam on/off switch the end has two Buttons. One (forget top or bottom one) is for computer info (avg speed, avg mpg, distance to empty etc) the other is Auto HB. ;)

Green lit icon will show on dash left side.
Nope, just the one button, unlike on my 5 where there are two buttons, as you mention. When I ordered, we were specifically told by BMWNA that there was no way, special ordering included, to get LEDs or Auto HBs with my configuration.

southern6er22
01-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Was yours one of the first built? Maybe it has to do with the time that you ordered. Maybe the auto headlights are to yours as the shadowline trim/soft-close doors are to ours - just a little too early in the cycle. I have no idea. Mine is an xDrive Coupe, but I did opt for the LEDs. The BMWNA site shows it as standard, so there is no telling.

The title of this thread needs to be changed to mysteries and discrepancies (with a special link just for our enormous exhaust debate) lol.

This is extremely picky, but one other thing I noticed is that some of the promotional pictures of the Red/ivory coupe with the aluminum, B&O, etc. (y'all know what I'm talking about) show the button for the rear sunshade under the window buttons on the driver's side door in a car that does not have the luxury seating package. The shade is part of the package yet the seats in the pics are not perforated, and the buttons on the console are only for heated seats, not ventilated. So in case anyone was wondering about that very crucial option... Very important discovery that I'm sure will allow everyone to sleep at night.

XZLR8
01-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Was yours one of the first built? Maybe it has to do with the time that you ordered. Maybe the auto headlights are to yours as the shadowline trim/soft-close doors are to ours - just a little too early in the cycle. I have no idea. Mine is an xDrive Coupe, but I did opt for the LEDs. The BMWNA site shows it as standard, so there is no telling.
No, I just took delivery in December. Had I opted for the LEDs (which I love, but would have required 20s... and I didn't want to have to change wheels & tires in the winter), I would have been able to get Auto HBs. But not without the 20s.

Or that was the story then. Who the hell knows! Ha.

southern6er22
01-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Definitely understandable...... about the tires and, unfortunately, the mysteries of BMW.

Thebreadman
01-25-2012, 10:09 PM
I'll go ahead and add my input. I got my car today! 650 Coupe, non-M Sport, 6MT, non-Full LED, 20s, Driver Assistance Pkg and I got the Auto high beams.

Truth be told, I had never heard of this feature before today until the sales agent was showing them to me on my car. Very slick feature!

Other nice feature that I was unaware about: I did not get the Full LED lights, but the daytime running lights are LED and are the same as on the Full LED, so the only difference is during night time when you are either using LED (if you got them) or Xenon, if you didn't.

JONNYCHIRO
01-26-2012, 04:55 AM
If I recall correctly they are cosmetically different too.

I was going to opt Not to get them but the Dealer showed me both.

Maybe I'm imagining it now but I thought they looked quite different from each other. No?

JONNYCHIRO
01-26-2012, 04:59 AM
Thebread post a pic of yours...
Here's LED.

Itinj6
01-26-2012, 06:31 AM
Jonny, you sir are correct. There is a prominent difference cosmetically. If you go on the configurator on BMWUSA and click LED on and off, you can see a change in the picture after it loads. the LEDs have an aluminum type band that goes above and below the lights that meets at a point towards the center of the car. Also, the non LED have full circular halo rings while the LED is flat on top and bottom. Also, speaking of the rings, the LED rings are long (fore and aft) pieces of glass (plastic?) while the non has circular tubes. The LED option also has LED directionals which is far superior to the regular bulbs in the non LED... The configurator is pretty detailed in illustrating the options you choose. Even when you select Active Cruise Control, you can see the buttons appear on the steering wheel and dash.

southern6er22
01-26-2012, 06:32 AM
The LEDs have the light bar that cuts the halos off at the top whereas the non-LEDs are the normal halos. The non-LEDs are the new whiter halos seen on the 5, X3, X5, etc. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about for the LEDs.

Thebreadman
01-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Here is a photo of the non-full LEDs. The LED headlamps have a horizontal bar in the middle of them. The Xenons are a three-dimensional ball. The non-full LEDs do have the LED daytime running lights that look very similar to the full LEDs. The only difference being that the full LEDs are flat on the top and bottom and the Xenons are almost completely circular, except at the top. But honestly, we are nit picking here. This is not somethi anyone will notice when a 6 is blowing by.

Itinj6
01-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Funny you should mention lol. Just the other day, a 650 was behind us and my fiancée, in the PAX seat of our X6 looked in the mirror and said, "those are the LEDs" as it passed us. Sure enough, i was able to catch a quick glimpse in the mirror and they were. The non LED are beautiful too, nonetheless. I have them on mine. The rings give a nice bright white/bluish tint

Thebreadman
01-26-2012, 04:25 PM
I should clarify. I do think the full LED headlights look better than the Xenons. Other than the price, my thinking was that headlights are there to brighten your path and I saw both side by side. While I think the LEDs are amazing in brightening the path forward, I liked the light output from the Xenons better. Right or wrong, You really can't go wrong with either light. They both do a great job and the LEDs look cooler.

danzzz
01-26-2012, 06:39 PM
I regretted not getting the LED package not because of the full LED but 373M wheels (another $1,300 there tho). To me, the full LED looks slightly "cooler" than the Xenons. I agree it's completely noticable BUT only to the people who follow bimmer's trend (or until you point it out).

roadsta
01-30-2012, 02:33 AM
The LED option also has LED directionals which is far superior to the regular bulbs in the non LED...

I do not think this is correct. The xenons, other than the actual headlights, are all LED. See the attachment - comes from the American on-line manual.

R

Itinj6
01-30-2012, 09:18 AM
I do not think this is correct. The xenons, other than the actual headlights, are all LED. See the attachment - comes from the American on-line manual.

R

I can 1000% guarantee that there is a difference in the turn signals lol. I seen it with my own eyes. The non-LED has amber bulbs behind a clear casing (egg yolks) while the LED has clear LED directionals that glow amber.

I actually checked this specific thing first day I got my car and was wondering why my $100K + car doesn't have standard LED front directionals.

You can see the difference in the pic I posted above that shows them both side by side

JONNYCHIRO
01-30-2012, 09:40 AM
My two cents LED in 6 should be standard. But that's another story.

roadsta
01-31-2012, 02:22 AM
I can 1000% guarantee that there is a difference in the turn signals lol.

Sure, they are different. The whole light unit is different. Are they are behind amber housings. All of which does not have to mean the actual turn signal 'globe' is not an LED unit. Explain the manual to me if this is not the case.

r

Itinj6
01-31-2012, 12:16 PM
Sure, they are different. The whole light unit is different. Are they are behind amber housings. All of which does not have to mean the actual turn signal 'globe' is not an LED unit. Explain the manual to me if this is not the case.

r

I'm sorry I can't explain the manual to you as I can't explain a lot of things in the manual. It may very well be different for US and Overseas models which could explain why yours has them and mine don't. If you look into the directional clear casing of a non-LED 650, you can actually see the amber bulbs (look like egg yolks and that what we call it in the sportbike world) in there and they are not LED. When LEDs flash, they go on and off instantly and you can actually see the fine space between them. On mine, non LED, when the bulbs flash it glows up the entire casing with no fine spacing. Also, there is residual glow on non LED bulbs when they go out (in between flashes). It's hard to explain but I can assure it.