PDA

View Full Version : What Tweaks do you have?

unclebnz
01-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Today I found a guy that has the programing to do cool tricks with my 650I.
I now have folding mirror with the remote and and a digital MPH on the speedometer cluster. Too bad I brought the DVD in motion program because he could have turned that on too.

grizbo
01-29-2012, 05:11 AM
Can he turn off the start-stop function? That would be the coolest trick!

danzzz
01-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Can he turn off the start-stop function? That would be the coolest trick!

With enough complaints on this goofy feature, BMW should update the software to at least give us an option to change default setting on it.

TopDownInFL
01-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Today I found a guy that has the programing to do cool tricks with my 650I.
I now have folding mirror with the remote and and a digital MPH on the speedometer cluster. Too bad I brought the DVD in motion program because he could have turned that on too.

Contact info please!!!!

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Hey, is that the guy that was advertising on here that is from NY? He said he can also do the M-HUD mod which I am really interested in.

Not to sound ignorant, but what exactly is the Start-Stop function? Thanks.

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Contact info please!!!!

nybimmers is his username on here. Please confirm that it's the same guy, unclebnz. Thanks!

JONNYCHIRO
01-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Itinj at stops the vehicle uses the kinetic energy it's stored from braking to run the electric so the engine doesn't run those things.
The engine cuts off, saving fuel. Restarts when either you're ready to go or the demands require it (AC etc.)

i think I got/explained it right. If not, someone please, correct me.

It's annoying. It's also disconcerting to sit at the light w. the engine cut. And the final annoyance is that (to me) it seems it cuts out/in very smoothly and unobtrusively--other times it feels like you've stalled out by dropping the clutch (without the lurch.)

It's easy to turn off but it'd be better if it could be set to default "off."

I also would like to see the Profiles able to be set to a default besides Comfort.

JONNYCHIRO
01-29-2012, 05:37 PM
What's involved to get these features?
Can it be done remotely?
I mean I am in FL and the guy that does it is in NY? Is that a problem?

WTF>>???? Why the **** isn't this standard>!???!?!

I WANT!

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Itinj at stops the vehicle uses the kinetic energy it's stored from braking to run the electric so the engine doesn't run those things.
The engine cuts off, saving fuel. Restarts when either you're ready to go or the demands require it (AC etc.)

It's annoying. It's also disconcerting to sit at the light w. the engine cut. And the final annoyance is that (to me) it seems it cuts out/in very smoothly and unobtrusively--other times it feels like you've stalled out by dropping the clutch (without the lurch.)

I also would like to see the Profiles able to be set to a default besides Comfort.

Is that the "Efficient Dynamics" thingy? I see that electronic gauge (also has MPG) move when i brake and such but I never felt or seen the car shut off at a red light. I always check RPMs and it is usually between 500 and 1000 at red lights Hmm, maybe mine is set to default off lol. Where is the setting for this? I am so confused on it.

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 06:27 PM
What's involved to get these features?
Can it be done remotely?
I mean I am in FL and the guy that does it is in NY? Is that a problem?

WTF>>???? Why the **** isn't this standard>!???!?!

I WANT!

From what I understand, he needs the vehicle. I don't think it's emailed/ downloadable software like DVDinmotion. I also believe that everytime you go in for service and they update the software, everything he does gets erased, but he does mention that he will no charge for reconfiguring. Also he only charges one flat rate, no matter how many options you desire, so I would make a long list before getting it done, if you decide to. Search for F coding on here, there is a thread about it and try sending him a PM. I may be wrong.

southern6er22
01-29-2012, 06:28 PM
My understanding is that "Efficient Dynamics" is the kinetic energy regeneration that converts the kinetic energy as potential energy that is used to power the electronics within the car in order to reduce fuel consumption.

I don't think the 650 has start-stop, only the 640i. This cuts the engine when sitting at stoplights and then it restarts either when you hit the accelerator or release the break. I think they decided the fuel savings wasn't worth it with the 650. haha.

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 06:33 PM
My understanding is that "Efficient Dynamics" is the kinetic energy regeneration that converts the kinetic energy as potential energy that is used to power the electronics within the car in order to reduce fuel consumption.

I don't think the 650 has start-stop, only the 640i. This cuts the engine when sitting at stoplights and then it restarts either when you hit the accelerator or release the break. I think they decided the fuel savings wasn't worth it with the 650. haha.

Well that explains why I never experienced this foolishness lol

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 06:35 PM

Jonny, does your 650 have the start stop or was it a previous bimmer you speak of?

JONNYCHIRO
01-29-2012, 06:56 PM
I test drove one for two days.

unclebnz
01-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Contact info please!!!!

Hes in Queens New York

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 09:08 PM
Hes in Queens New York

Unclebnz, is it nybimmers that you are referring to?

unclebnz
01-31-2012, 04:15 PM
I just realized it is him.

Itinj6
01-31-2012, 04:22 PM
Ok cool. I'm probably gonna pay him a visit myself. I really want the M-HUD mod.

I'm his thread in one of the other Forums, someone posted that he doesn't sound kosher because he is a new memeber to the 'Fest, but glad we have living proof in you.

Thanks!

JONNYCHIRO
01-31-2012, 04:26 PM
Do I get a discount for being born in Booth Memorial. ;)

TopDownInFL
02-01-2012, 09:17 AM
I PM'd him - I'm wondering what all can be coded. Despite being a few thousand miles away, it's worth investigating.

southern6er22
02-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Anyone else notice that the "Quick Reference" manual states that the mirrors fold in when you hold down a button on the remote? I tried it and couldn't get it to work. Guess it is another region-specific feature. Stupid considering it is a software tweak.

Itinj6
02-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Ya, probably just like other things in the manual we don't have, but I don't mind hitting the little button on the door to fold the mirrors in. It became habit already when I shut the car down. What I really want is that M-HUD. It gives gear selection and RPMs.

JONNYCHIRO
02-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Is this a stupid question?
Why the **** doesn't BMW make this stuff available? Why am I hunting down some guy from my birthplace
to unlock features???

WTF?

If I fold up my manual will I see a pyramid an all seeing eye and a road map to treasure???

I'm calling Nick Cage for answers!!! :(

Itinj6
02-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Makes no sense. Obviously, the car is already coded with this stuff in the software. Why won't they just release it to us? I'm with you on that.

I'm waiting for someone to crack the 1,002 HP Veyron killer code that is in our cars... Somewhere I'm sure.

JONNYCHIRO
02-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Speaking of which, my BMW buddy
Knows a guy in Miami who knows plug in/out way to chip the cars for stage two.

I'm looking into it.

Itinj6
02-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Interesting... Gotta know more about this one.

car-fan
02-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Speaking of which, my BMW buddy
Knows a guy in Miami who knows plug in/out way to chip the cars for stage two.

I'm looking into it.

Still waiting for DINAN to release stage 2 for the F12/F13 500hp 580 ft/lbs. I had stage 1 on last car. Stage 2 will put the 6 deep in AMG 63 territory;) while literally blowing past the upgraded N63TU engined 650 GranCoupe:D

thom.one.two
02-08-2012, 07:41 PM
My Panamera S has start/stop. I keep that crap turned off all of the time. I remember when your car stopping at the red light was not a good thing.
My F12 does not have that feature.

If you figure out a way to give the HUD the M appearance, LET ME KNOW! I had it on my M5 and loved it. It looks so much better than just the speed up.

thom.one.two
02-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Oh and, yea, that DVDinMotion...love it. But I'm gonna run someone right in the ass soon. All of my music videos playing on the screen with the sound system thumping is an accident waiting to happen! I catch myself watching the screen instead of driving like some 16 year old kid. Should have gotten the cruise control thingy to stop me. LOL

southern6er22
02-08-2012, 08:45 PM
What exactly does the ///M HUD give you that the regular doesn't, and does it look different with special graphics? I'm in love with my HUD and am being completely spoiled by the nav and speedo. It is so great that it even earned an iDrive hard button to take me to the height adjustment. I like the speed as high as it will go, but the top of the nav directions get cut off when I put it way up. I am becoming completely spoiled.

Itinj6
02-08-2012, 08:47 PM
I believe it also gives RPMs and current gear selection.

Thom, can you confirm this?

thom.one.two
02-08-2012, 09:32 PM
It gives RPM's in a graph form. The speedo is very small and the gears show up as larger numbers. I traded it in 2010 for the Panamera, so I can recall that those come up when you selected it it to display all of that. Otherwise, I think you could have a minimal speedo only. In 2009, it did not have lane departure, or at least mine didn't, to show up on the speedo.

thom.one.two
02-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Southern...the M HUD will make you melt then. Man, if we can figure out a way to get the current HUD an M, whoa!

It is particularly awesome when you have the nav selected (then I think I had arrows selected), with the RPM's, gear number, and speed...the whole windsheild is covered in graphics.

I don't understand how everything works enough to know if a non-M car can show the same graphics, but I can tell you that the M5 and the '09 650 were miles apart related to the HUD (and performance, and comfort, and...and...). The only reason I traded it was I was the only person in the house that liked the automated manual transmission. It was a single clutch, and every single gear change moved every head in the car. I made myself carsick a few times, so when everyone would have rather taken the '05 Navigator, I knew it was doomed.

Itinj6
02-08-2012, 10:38 PM
The guy mentioned in this thread, nybimmers, claims that he can do the M-HUD mod on the F12/13. I plan on visiting him when I get my car. I will report back when I do. Probably won't be a for another 6-8 weeks though. I may do it sooner out of curiosity with my current F12 (which is being trade assisted)

Itinj6
02-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Compared to our X6, the speedo on the 650 HUD is tiny anyway IMO

southern6er22
02-08-2012, 11:47 PM
How do the clarity, colors, and graphics compare to the old system? It would be nice if you had the option to increase the speedo size, but I haven't had any trouble viewing it day or night or with sunglasses (had to get new non-polarized Oakleys). I never had a chance to play with the old system... I'm just in awe of the new one.

thom.one.two
02-09-2012, 09:08 AM
New one is much better. Could not adjust the old one up or down. I could never see it in my old 6 because I keep my seat leaned way back when I drive. Graphics are 3D now and much clearer.

Itinj6
02-09-2012, 01:16 PM
You think HUD is awesome, just wait until the whole dashboard and controls are holograms, "Minority Report" style lol. This way you can move whatever you like in your field of view with your hands, maximize and minimize sizes by pinching together or double-tapping like the iPhone. I think I just came up with an awesome patent lol.

thom.one.two
02-09-2012, 01:19 PM
AKA Tesla Model S Concept. Pretty cool.

Itinj6
02-09-2012, 01:23 PM
You mean that is already in the works, in a concept? Oh well, back to the old drawing board.

southern6er22
02-09-2012, 01:33 PM
I want... The Bimmer toys were definitely a factor in my choice. I loved the Jaguar XKR, but a standard-size touch screen in a >$100,000 car in the year 2012? Not a deal breaker, but come on?!?

TopDownInFL
02-09-2012, 02:12 PM
The guy mentioned in this thread, nybimmers, claims that he can do the M-HUD mod on the F12/13. I plan on visiting him when I get my car. I will report back when I do. Probably won't be a for another 6-8 weeks though. I may do it sooner out of curiosity with my current F12 (which is being trade assisted)

That would be of interest. Please do report back.

Itinj6
02-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Most definitely! Besides me, you guys will be the first to know.

thom.one.two
02-09-2012, 03:38 PM
I agree about Jag. The interior has always been drab.

gehmjc21
02-15-2012, 11:25 AM
does anyone have a list of possible tweaks? how much does he charge? any why don't I see his username in the directory?

Itinj6
02-15-2012, 11:42 AM
does anyone have a list of possible tweaks? how much does he charge? any why don't I see his username in the directory?

Funny you mention. I saw a post in his thread (possibly a moderator) that mentioned something about advertising without being a sponsor. Wonder if his account was deleted People kept asking him to make a list of what he can do and he keeps asking them to tell him what they want. Makes it sound like some serious list. He said he charges a flat rate of $80, no matter how many mods you want done. He also said that the more you want, the better because of the flat rate. Another thing, if the dealer resets everything when you go for service, he will restore what he did at no additional charge. I know, sounds too good to be true but apparently his work has been confirmed by a fellow 'Fester in this forum. I asked particularly about the M HUD and he said he can do that. He does Video in motion, I believe there was mention of key Fob operated folding mirrors or ignition off folding mirrors. Something like that. I will see if I can dig up more.

gehmjc21
02-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Funny you mention. I saw a post in his thread (possibly a moderator) that mentioned something about advertising without being a sponsor. Wonder if his account was deleted People kept asking him to make a list of what he can do and he keeps asking them to tell him what they want. Makes it sound like some serious list. He said he charges a flat rate of $80, no matter how many mods you want done. He also said that the more you want, the better because of the flat rate. Another thing, if the dealer resets everything when you go for service, he will restore what he did at no additional charge. I know, sounds too good to be true but apparently his work has been confirmed by a fellow 'Fester in this forum. I asked particularly about the M HUD and he said he can do that. He does Video in motion, I believe there was mention of key Fob operated folding mirrors or ignition off folding mirrors. Something like that. I will see if I can dig up more.

Nice, thank you, Itinj6. I googled his name and "tweak" and found an email for service@nybimmers.com I emailed him I'll let you know if anything comes of it. Also, stupid question - video in motion, does that mean you can watch a dvd when you're driving? Thanks

Houston Bimmer
02-15-2012, 12:01 PM
gehmjc,

Let us all know what you find. The questions for many of us is whether he can do it remotely through a download, or if he needs the physuical car. I would be interested in several of the "Tweaks" described.

Itinj6
02-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Nice, thank you, Itinj6. I googled his name and "tweak" and found an email for service@nybimmers.com I emailed him I'll let you know if anything comes of it. Also, stupid question - video in motion, does that mean you can watch a dvd when you're driving? Thanks

Yes, that is exactly what it is... Also commonly referred to as DVDinmotion but I think that term was coined by a specific company so I didn't want to use it due to conflict in interest. I got mine through DVDin motion, not nybimmers, and it is amazing. Also, with that huge idrive wide screen in our cars, you can get the video to play on the full screen (no borders at all)

Itinj6
02-15-2012, 12:13 PM
gehmjc,

Let us all know what you find. The questions for many of us is whether he can do it remotely through a download, or if he needs the physuical car. I would be interested in several of the "Tweaks" described.

I regret to inform that he said he needs the physical car :(

Try anyway, maybe if he sees business growing, he can make it downloadable.

Itinj6
02-15-2012, 12:21 PM
BTW, it's not just DVDs that can be played while car is driving. It's any type of video that the car otherwise locks out. If you have the snap-in adapter, I believe you can also play iPod videos. Someone on here mentioned that they got YouTube and Netflix to work from their phone as well. It takes discipline to not watch the videos when you are actually driving lol, but it's good at red lights, especially those long ones. Passengers will appreciate it too.
I plan on trying it with the active cruise control and lane departure warning :)

thom.one.two
02-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Jonny, tell me more about Stage 2? I don't know anything about that. Does it void warranty??

JONNYCHIRO
02-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Well, the short story is: We get our vehicles w all sorts of computer hamstrings/governors that slow it.

We ain't the autobahn.

Stage Two/Chipping takes the software governors off = increased horses top speed etc.

There are a few paths up that mountain.

Ideally, you get it done through BMW w the warranty of the chip manufacturer. Dinan is the most popular.

BMW and Dinan have a hot cold relationship. Partially b/c (If I recall correctly) BMW tried to acquire Dinan and the deal went south.

Other issues are when they both point the finger as to who is to pay the warranty bill for repairs. So, even when Dinan has a chip some dealers won't deal w them.

Enter the mod world. Some shops have pull out chips like a USB- you simply pull it when it needs to be service and there's (apparently) no trace of it.

The only way I've done anything from cold intake to blow off valve to chip is from BMW service. I also get a note on their letterhead stating it doesn't affect warranty.

To my knowledge the chip isn't yet out for our vehicles.

You think you tool around w a gorilla in a tuxedo now (as one review I read likened the current 6 to)???

This will be like the same Gorilla that ate ALL of Barry Bond's steroids and some of Canseco's too ;)

gehmjc21
02-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Well, the short story is: We get our vehicles w all sorts of computer hamstrings/governors that slow it.

We ain't the autobahn.

Stage Two/Chipping takes the software governors off = increased horses top speed etc.

There are a few paths up that mountain.

Ideally, you get it done through BMW w the warranty of the chip manufacturer. Dinan is the most popular.

BMW and Dinan have a hot cold relationship. Partially b/c (If I recall correctly) BMW tried to acquire Dinan and the deal went south.

Other issues are when they both point the finger as to who is to pay the warranty bill for repairs. So, even when Dinan has a chip some dealers won't deal w them.

Enter the mod world. Some shops have pull out chips like a USB- you simply pull it when it needs to be service and there's (apparently) no trace of it.

The only way I've done anything from cold intake to blow off valve to chip is from BMW service. I also get a note on their letterhead stating it doesn't affect warranty.

To my knowledge the chip isn't yet out for our vehicles.

You think you tool around w a gorilla in a tuxedo now (as one review I read likened the current 6 to)???

This will be like the same Gorilla that ate ALL of Barry Bond's steroids and some of Canseco's too ;)

Haha that's great.

What do you think a chip will run? I'm assuming nothing like the $800 jb4 I had in my e92?!

JONNYCHIRO
02-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Bout $2000 I'd guess from past.

Itinj6
02-15-2012, 05:16 PM
That gorilla in a tuxedo analogy is just... Awesome! Lol

Itinj6
02-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Bout $2000 I'd guess from past.

It will never be an M6, I know that, but the 2000 sure as hell beats the upcharge of an M6... If we can get at least 100 in HP gains.

JONNYCHIRO
02-15-2012, 05:57 PM
M5 I was the only person in the house that liked the automated manual transmission. It was a single clutch, and every single gear change moved every head in the car. I made myself carsick a few times.

AWESOME!!!!:)
At least you rocked it for a while!!!!!

gehmjc21
02-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Service@nybimmers.com

He said go a head an email him if you're in the NYC area.

Houston Bimmer
02-16-2012, 09:12 AM
I regret to inform that he said he needs the physical car :(

Try anyway, maybe if he sees business growing, he can make it downloadable.

Too Bad. I would love some of the mods mentioned. If he can figure out how to make it uploadable like DVD in Motion, and just loading a DVD, then he could sell a bunch

I hope he sees the big following and is willing to consider in the future.

Thanks for the update

Itinj6
02-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Too Bad. I would love some of the mods mentioned. If he can figure out how to make it uploadable like DVD in Motion, and just loading a DVD, then he could sell a bunch

I hope he sees the big following and is willing to consider in the future.

Thanks for the update

No problem. That information is a few weeks old though. Hey, it doesn't hurt to shoot him a quick email. Possibly he changed his stance on needing the physical vehicle.

JONNYCHIRO
02-16-2012, 12:51 PM
I don't want anyone in NYC area to have mods if I can't. Jerks. :(. ;)

Itinj6
02-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Don't hate...

...Participate

Sounds like a good reason to take a nice long trip in the new Coupe :)

JONNYCHIRO
02-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Don't hate...

...Participate

Sounds like a good reason to take a nice long trip in the new Coupe :)

If he's got the goods I'll do it. Why not?

gehmjc21
08-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Yes, that is exactly what it is... Also commonly referred to as DVDinmotion but I think that term was coined by a specific company so I didn't want to use it due to conflict in interest. I got mine through DVDin motion, not nybimmers, and it is amazing. Also, with that huge idrive wide screen in our cars, you can get the video to play on the full screen (no borders at all)

Itin, did you ever look into this? I get my car towards the end of the month in NJ and wanted to have him code for me while I'm down there. Is anyone else in the Northeast interested? I figure if we get enough people we can have him meet us somewhere outside of Queens so we don't have to drive in there. Let me know. Here's a list of options I've compiled from different sites, not sure if he can do all of them.....

Coding

-DVD in motion
-Auto folding mirrors with lock unlock
-M HUD
- car unlocks when engine is stopped
- hazard lights double blink instead of single blink
- fog lights stay on when high beams are on
- disable driver and passenger seat belt reminders
- disable driver and passenger disconnect reminders
- Unlock doors on single push of start/stop button (allows single pull of door handle to exit)
- - Fog lights stay on with high beams/flash to pass
- Enable welcome lights (fog lights, license plate lights, tailights, position lights (front side LEDs), low beams, high beams)
- Remove NAV start up disclaimer
- Remove PDC & sideview camera disclaimer
- Remove nightvision disclaimer
- High beams brightness in %
- DRL brightness in %
- LEDs brightness in % with low beams on
- Low beams brightness in %
-- HUD turn signals

gehmjc21
09-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Hey guys - I'm getting my car coded this afternoon....I'll take some pictures and video. Interested to see how it goes!

thom.one.two
09-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Get him to program the blinkers to show in the HUD. That was always a problem for me with where the steering wheel covers the blinkers in my seating position. Now, they flash in the HUD.

He can make the sport guages show up on the screen, but if you have a V8, they don't work. That only works on the 640.

He can also make the pull twice thing disappear, which I love.

He can make all 4 tires' air pressure show up on a separate screen on the IDrive. That came in handy last weekend for me.

Yep speedo. Yep folding mirrors. My mirrors fold with touching the handle.

southern6er22
09-19-2012, 03:10 PM
My mirrors fold with touching the handle.

Dirty!

Just sayin' :angel:

Emilner
09-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Hey guys - I'm getting my car coded this afternoon....I'll take some pictures and video. Interested to see how it goes!

Who is doing it?

TopDownInFL
09-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Get him to program the blinkers to show in the HUD. That was always a problem for me with where the steering wheel covers the blinkers in my seating position. Now, they flash in the HUD.

He can make the sport guages show up on the screen, but if you have a V8, they don't work. That only works on the 640.

He can also make the pull twice thing disappear, which I love.

He can make all 4 tires' air pressure show up on a separate screen on the IDrive. That came in handy last weekend for me.

Yep speedo. Yep folding mirrors. My mirrors fold with touching the handle.

Why isnt this available at the dealer?

thom.one.two
09-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Why isnt this available at the dealer?

Or in the IControl system. It is already there. They should just allow us to turn off and on certain features. Obviously, the ones that are illegal, like DVD In Motion, should be up to us to figure out, but to make the blinker lights appear in the HUD??? Come on...

gehmjc21
09-20-2012, 02:53 AM
Well, come to find out my car had the wrong files. There's 5 or so different versions on the f12/13 and two of the versions are lost of corrupt files. Yes BMW knows this. So you can't access certain modules. I'm SOL, unless BMW gives me the most recent software. Which I should have seeing my car came through customs 4 weeks ago! (did an ED)

djsaad1
09-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Have you guys been to the coding section? There is a list of people in different cities that can help you get this done.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175