PDA

View Full Version : Premium Sound

southern6er22
01-29-2012, 09:08 AM
What do y'all think about Premium Sound? There's been so much talk and excitement over the B&O that the Premium hasn't gotten much time in the spotlight. I was very tempted by the B&O but could not justify the extra $3,700. I'm sure the B&O sounds amazing, but I think the looks of the aluminum and LEDs was the most appealing part of the system to me. I know that those of you with the B&O love it (I know I would :)), but I'm just curious about the other system.

How's the sound quality with iPod and radio? Would you consider it a Premium Sound system for any other BMW, or is it lacking because the B&O is an option and they wanted to make sure there is a significant difference between the two?

Thanks for your thoughts. These forums are the only thing keeping me sane while I wait.

danzzz
01-29-2012, 09:34 AM
The current "Premium Sound" is literally just the Logic 7 back in days. I did a side-by-side comparison with my E60 550i which has the standard sound system, honestly I couldn't tell any big difference at all (with my previous DJ background). However, the Premium Sound package (along with BMW Apps) seems to be "standard" nowadays as I barely see any F12/F13 without it. So, for $1,800 you'll get Logic 7, HD radio and 1-yr subscription of Sirius satellite radio which is pretty nice.

For Bang & Olufson, even I'm big fan of the brand, I'd say spending almost $4k on this is totally a waste of money. To me, it's just louder (only played it a bit at dealership with HD radio). You can drop that $4k for other cooler packages like Driver's Assistance or even Lux Seating.

southern6er22
01-29-2012, 09:50 AM
So you think the quality between the Premium and B&O is pretty similar and the loudness is the main difference?

It is kinda stupid that they don't include the premium sound, iPod, sat radio, etc. with the base model, but that could also be said for heated/ventilated seats and a few other options.

TopDownInFL
01-29-2012, 10:46 AM
I have the Premium sound (sans B&O). I enjoy the extra speakers and the sound quality. It's not the same as B&O, but I couldn't justify the cost increase when the Premium sounds good enough to me.

southern6er22
01-29-2012, 12:57 PM
"Good enough" is kinda what I was thinking, too. As much as I didn't like the idea of compromise on this car, $5,500 for a sound system is beyond even my rationalization capabilities (that talked me into M Sport, HUD, LEDs, and ARS). My audiophile tendencies end with my $300 Bose QC15 headphones that never leave my side.

dalekressin
01-29-2012, 01:04 PM
$5,500 does sound like a real premium. I suppose it depends on the amound of opportunity you will have to use it. Long drives?
Another choice as I see it. Now should I choose a Caman R or a 1M or M3.

southern6er22
01-29-2012, 01:25 PM
M3 is my choice. Haven't driven the 1M, although I hope to soon. It's supposed to be amazing. M3 is just amazing. I actually prefer it over the 650i, but the 6er had other luxuries that swayed me. Different classes of vehicles, but for pure driving pleasure the M3 is my choice (since I'm not willing to spend approx. $130,000 on an M6). As for M3 v. Cayman, I think I'd always feel like I only got the Cayman bc I couldn't afford the 911. 911 was one of my other contenders, but the 6 was more of what I was looking for as the full package.

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 02:13 PM
I have the Premium. It's just fine for my application. I'm not a teen anymore so blasting music for the rest of the world to hear is not my intention. The Premium sound is crisp enough. I never listened to something on it and asked myself what was that because I couldn't understand it. Yeah the pop-up dash speaker and LEDs are cool as hell, but not $3700 cool. I test drove one with the B&O and I was excited to hear what the rave was all about. I was not too impressed personally. I know many others rave about it and I don't mean to talk it down. It's all personal preference and maybe I didn't take it to its full potential but I'm more than good with the Premium. I'm not a Rockefeller so I opted out of it in my custom order. I preferred other, more useful options/packages like Driver Assistance, ARS, IAS, Night Vision (hoping its what its cracked up to be lol) etc...

southern6er22
01-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Speaking of night vision... I remember you mentioning that you were thinking about blacking out your grill. I read somewhere that they typically don't make black grills for cars with the night vision. A special grill is required to accomodate the camera. I suppose you could get it painted and not have a problem. Just thought I'd mention it.

JONNYCHIRO
01-29-2012, 06:46 PM
M3 is my choice. Haven't driven the 1M, although I hope to soon. It's supposed to be amazing. M3 is just amazing. I actually prefer it over the 650i, but the 6er had other luxuries that swayed me. Different classes of vehicles, but for pure driving pleasure the M3 is my choice (since I'm not willing to spend approx. $130,000 on an M6). As for M3 v. Cayman, I think I'd always feel like I only got the Cayman bc I couldn't afford the 911. 911 was one of my other contenders, but the 6 was more of what I was looking for as the full package.

I know exactly what you mean Southern. I am enjoying and much prefer the class of vehicle in the 6. But damned that M3 is a sheer thing of driving pleasure. Friggin' Rocket and the way it handles---MAN!:thumbup:

They had a car show at my local BMW dealership today. There was an M3 tuned w. 1000plus HP:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

southern6er22
01-29-2012, 07:11 PM
I would kill myself in that for sure... but what a way to go! lol

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Speaking of night vision... I remember you mentioning that you were thinking about blacking out your grill. I read somewhere that they typically don't make black grills for cars with the night vision. A special grill is required to accomodate the camera. I suppose you could get it painted and not have a problem. Just thought I'd mention it.

Good call. I didn't even think about it but I was going to paint anyway. Jonny's inspired me. I just hope I can find a place around my way that does similar work. Thanks for the heads up.

JONNYCHIRO
01-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Good call. I didn't even think about it but I was going to paint anyway. Jonny's inspired me. I just hope I can find a place around my way that does similar work. Thanks for the heads up.

You could always FedEx me the grille and I could FedEx it back. ;0

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 09:13 PM
I appreciate that but I also hate being a burden. Would it be too much trouble for ya?

JONNYCHIRO
01-29-2012, 09:32 PM
It'd be easy.

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 10:01 PM
That would be really cool of you. I would compensate you for your troubles as well. Hopefully, it would be in a couple months from now. Really hoping on getting that coupe approved ;)

JONNYCHIRO
01-30-2012, 05:10 AM
It'd be no trouble. Just get that sucka built and stateside!