PDA

View Full Version : The best looking Coupe I've yet seen!

Leslierc
01-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Last Friday I saw the most beautiful 650i Coupe as I was exiting the Trader Joe's parking lot along Route 29 in Silver Spring. The colour looked like it could have been Space Grey and, as I passed it, it occured to me that in profile the new 6 Series coupe could very well be described as the coupe variant of the 7 Series.

If the owner of that car is here (on this forum) I just want them to know that their 6 is the prettiest one I've yet seen!

JONNYCHIRO
01-30-2012, 01:33 PM
The colour looked like it could have been Space Grey and, as I passed it, it occured to me that in profile the new 6 Series coupe could very well be described as the coupe variant of the 7 Series.

If the owner of that car is here (on this forum) I just want them to know that their 6 is the prettiest one I've yet seen!

The 6 Coupe is just that.

southern6er22
01-30-2012, 02:18 PM
The 6ers at my dealer are all $5k to $10k more than the 7 Series in stock. I can't quite figure out how the smaller 2-door costs so much more than a huge 4-door sedan (that has more rear leg room than the back of my XL Denali), but I don't really care. The 6 looks good enough that it is worth it... which is really saying something since the 7er is a good looking car as well.

K-A
01-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Give it some time and the 6 Coupe's will come down in prices (by easier negotiations and incentives, etc.) IMO.

As stunning as it is, no way they can sustain the crazy asking prices when BMW's are practically homogenous in their offerings these days (drivetrain, tech, even styling and interiors), not to mention with the 6 GC coming out to widen the offerings coming from the "6" name.

JONNYCHIRO
01-30-2012, 07:16 PM
K-A your post makes good sense but does that ever really happen: Do prices fall if sales are up?

Read an article (believe here on fest) stating this was N.A.BMW's best sales year. And prices are going up...

Besides, tho your right about "homogenous offerings" there's nothing else close to the Six in terms of a coupe.

southern6er22
01-30-2012, 07:40 PM
+1

The 650i won't be getting any points for value for the money or practicality. The X5, 7 Series, and 5 Series are all great cars that blend BMW driving dynamics and comfort in a practical vehicle. The 6 GC will definitely fit into that as well, but it looks like it will be more or less a designer 7 Series that has been on a bit of a diet in terms of interior space.

The 6 Series looks like it deserves its hefty price inside and out. The incentives they offer still help, but invoice on these cars is still about the same as a similarly-equipped 7 Series. The lines of the 6 are brilliant but they do hinder rear passenger capacity. You don't buy a 6 coupe for carrying more than 2 people, at least on a regular basis. The revamped 6 Series definitely brought BMW closer to the luxury feel you get with an S Class or a CL. There is a lot less plastic than most other cars (including BMWs) and the amount of contrast stitched nappa leather is immense - new era for BMW.

K-A
01-30-2012, 08:37 PM
K-A your post makes good sense but does that ever really happen: Do prices fall if sales are up?

Read an article (believe here on fest) stating this was N.A.BMW's best sales year. And prices are going up...

Besides, tho your right about "homogenous offerings" there's nothing else close to the Six in terms of a coupe.

Yeah, naturally if Sales are up, prices won't come down. However, it's too early to tell just how well the 6 is selling just yet. However, I'd never expect BMW to drop MSRP, just incraese discounts, and/or Dealers more willing to negotiate (already some steep discounts on 6's have been posted here).

I agree that the 6 has its own place within the lineup if we're talking its very nature (large, luxurious Coupe) with the only thing competing closely with it being the upcoming 4-Door version, however, what bothers me about BMW is how far they're taking this Platform sharing addiction (it's like a drug to them). Also, how close the styling language is for this generation. On another note, I've heard from the BMW "Insiders" that the upcoming 4-Series (which is actually a rebranded 3-Series Coupe) will look like a smaller 6-Series with a newer more fussy-aggressive 3-D front end that the F30 3er is introducing. I'd write this off in thinking that "BMW wouldn't do this as they're charging a hefty premium with the 6 and why would they cannibalize their flagship Coupe with something extremely similar".... however, the way BMW is running the show these days is just that very way, hence the F01/F10/F30 homogeny.

Idk, I guess it remains to be seen. I'm venting. ;)

southern6er22
01-30-2012, 08:56 PM
I agree. Too many cars without gaps between the classes is going to get them into trouble. Kinda like Mercedes making the E coupe more of a C coupe with E styling. E coupe and E sedan don't really compare. The CLK seemed to be more of an E-level coupe rather than a dressed up C like the new E coupe. The exclusivity of the higher-end BMWs helps to justify the price. If they have a 4 Series coupe at 3/5 Series price that looks like a 6 Coupe, then the 6er is harder to justify at $100k, even if the interior is dressed up. Exterior design needs some obvious styling differences. At least the new 3 doesn't look like a 6. If they discontinue the 3 coupes and make them 4s with 3 styling, then that wouldn't be as bad. It seems like they'd be going in the opposite direction of Mercedes. BMW is adding more confusion to the different models while Mercedes is trying to get rid of everything except for C, E, and S (aside from SUVs).

K-A
01-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Totally agreed! The E-Coupe is such an upset to me in the fact that it's a C and not really an E. It should have been a full-lengthed, elegant Coupe based on the *E*, putting it at around 192" long, making it a rival to the 6 Coupe. Now it's just too compact, too noticeably "C", even with the E styling gimmicks/details, and now that there's a badged "C-Coupe", the E-Coupe becomes less differentiated/Premium from it.

Aside from that, though, yeah, BMW is just getting gluttonous with the models, trying to put out as many "number" variations as possible. Platform sharing is a helluva drug! :D

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae339/Autoxotic/2758e10350e3495fbbb87a6.jpg

Itinj6
01-31-2012, 01:50 AM
Sorry to derail the derail (lol j/k), but I'm curious as to what made this 6er that the OP saw that special. I have a lot of interest in Space Gray Metallic (second choice after black). Did it have any noticeable differences from a stock 6er (e.g. wheels) or was it just the color that made it that spectacular?

Leslierc
01-31-2012, 03:13 AM
Sorry to derail the derail (lol j/k), but I'm curious as to what made this 6er that the OP saw that special. I have a lot of interest in Space Gray Metallic (second choice after black). Did it have any noticeable differences from a stock 6er (e.g. wheels) or was it just the color that made it that spectacular?

The car looked like it had just been driven off the showroom floor...no mods as far as I could tell. You know how there always seems to be a perfect colour for a particular car? Well, to me, Space Gray is exactly that on the new 6 Coupe...the lines and shadows showed perfectly!

southern6er22
01-31-2012, 07:33 AM
Here are some of my favorites from the one at my dealer. I was tempted by the color, but I really wanted carbon black.

petriej
01-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Looks like there is something wrong with that one. The passenger side of the hood is not aligned properly.

I think Carbon Black is the color I'd go for on this one. Or Alpine White :D

Itinj6
01-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Looks like there is something wrong with that one. The passenger side of the hood is not aligned properly.

I think Carbon Black is the color I'd go for on this one. Or Alpine White :D

You're right but I bet that they just didn't latch the hood on both sides. I don't have a lot of time under the hood of BMWs but from the two I opened (my 650 and X6), you really have to slam them down to get both sides to latch. On my X6, it took like 5 tries to get the Hood Open warning to go off on my dashboard lol. I dont particularly like slamming things on my cars.

Back to the color. I really love the Space Gray but the only thing holding me back is that I want to black stuff out (grill, window trim, wheels). I saw a Space Gray 328 Sedan with black wheels and grill at the dealership. It looked dirty IMO, but the lines do show amazing on this color.

Sandlapper
02-01-2012, 07:53 AM
I have a suggestion. The hood is made from aluminum. You can bend it if you don't properly close it. Here's what the Performance Center Delivery guy at BMW Spartanburg told me. Lower the hood until you feel the latch engage at the first click. Then take both hands and press firmly down at where the front of the hood creases until you hear and see that both latches have firmly engaged the second click. Then you don't have to ever slam it and you don't have to worry about bending the hood. Works for me on both my Bimmers.:)

Itinj6
02-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Good to know thanks... I just been letting the hood drop. Lol. Although, I didn't want to put fingerprints on it either. Even something as simple as closing the hood on this car... Unreal lol

southern6er22
02-01-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm still working on my technique for closing the trunk with minimal fingerprints. Trying to use the footwell button/remote to open. Closing is still a bit of a challenge.

Itinj6
02-01-2012, 12:44 PM
There are two handles on the inside of the trunk lid. You can grab one of those and just pull down. Actually, thats what they're there for. Make sure to get your arm out of the way though. Once it gets down through 50% closed, it comes down with authority.

southern6er22
02-01-2012, 12:46 PM
I'll have to try that. Losing an arm is a small price to pay for keeping it fingerpring free.

Itinj6
02-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Well look at the bright side. Without any arms, you won't have to worry about fingerprints anyway. Maybe shoe or lip prints, but that's a whole 'nother story lol.

I may have exaggerated the handle thing. It's really not that bad lol.

Leslierc
02-01-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm still working on my technique for closing the trunk with minimal fingerprints. Trying to use the footwell button/remote to open. Closing is still a bit of a challenge.

The trunk lid on the 6 doesn't have the auto/power close feature? I love that I can do that on the 7...there are 2 buttons, one to just close the other to close, lock, and alarm the car. I knew that the convertible didn't have this feature, but thought that the coupe did.

JONNYCHIRO
02-01-2012, 02:04 PM
The trunk lid on the 6 doesn't have the auto/power close feature? I love that I can do that on the 7...

Please don't rub that in :(

K-A
02-01-2012, 06:32 PM
I'll have to try that. Losing an arm is a small price to pay for keeping it fingerpring free.

:rofl:

JONNYCHIRO
02-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Southern u know the roundel lifts to open right?
The hand scoops are easily found inside to swing close.

southern6er22
02-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Yeah, it seems like it takes more effort to do it with the Roundel than to hit the foot well button or the remote. The handles are working well, aside from the fact that I knocked out the plastic lighting piece on the trunk lid. Gotta work on my form so I don't (a) tear apart my trunk lid and (b) look like an idiot

Itinj6
02-01-2012, 08:01 PM
That is odd though. I definitely slammed mine down a good amount. Well enough to be able to get my arm out before the trunk lid ate it

southern6er22
02-01-2012, 08:08 PM
I think it is a matter of where I pulled rather than slamming it. It looks like it should just snap back in - hopefully.

Itinj6
02-01-2012, 08:19 PM
I hope so too. If not, I'm sure it will be a very easy and painless replacement fix

southern6er22
02-01-2012, 08:25 PM
It doesn't look too important, and it's hidden. Just one more reason they should've given us an auto trunk. Haha. I am impressed with the trunk space. It is amazingly deep, especially with the ski bag (very useful down here).

southern6er22
02-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Note about hood alignment: I noticed when I was taking some other pics that my hood wasn't aligned right (similar to the Space Gray above). Part of it may be improper latching, but there are also little adjustment "screws" that allow you to manipulate the gap.

Picture 1: Red circles = adjustment "screws"
Picture 2: Before
Picture 3: After

JONNYCHIRO
02-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Now it looks a **** hair high on the other side. No?

southern6er22
02-06-2012, 04:05 PM
lol

Itinj6
02-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Nice find on the hood adjustment!

BTW, Southern, did you fix/reattach that light thingy in the trunk?

southern6er22
02-06-2012, 09:43 PM
I did. There was an idiot-proof, will-only-go-one-way wire that plugged into the only hole, and it snapped back into place. I've since perfected my closing technique so I don't cause destruction and look as spastic as a bunny on crystal meth.

Itinj6
02-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Haha nice. I'm glad you fixed it. I was feeling kinda guilty about it, considering I suggested those trunk lid handles.

southern6er22
02-06-2012, 10:56 PM
No worries. It's back to being perfect.

Itinj6
02-06-2012, 10:57 PM
No worries. It's back to being perfect.

:)