PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Black Gives New Meaning To...

JONNYCHIRO
01-31-2012, 02:07 PM
High maintenance.
Car not more than one month old.
Car detailed weekly by BMW.

Pollen typically all over +1 day.
+2 days I want to Quick detail it but don't dare.
This paint says "I want to swirl.".
It looks like it will swirl if you look at it too long.
Ok not sure bout that but I'm positive it'll leave marks unless handled w perfection.

It's going to be a real MoFo to keep cherry.

danzzz
01-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Do you get this "weekly detailing" from dealership at no charge?

JONNYCHIRO
01-31-2012, 04:02 PM
Not quite.
They detailed it, obviously, Day One.
and again when I picked up car after black trim/grille work.

Another time I dropped car as did a buddy and asked the guy to really get into (mostly his as it's not new) them.
I threw him way too much (giddy bout new car).

Wait not done.

Brought the car by another time $40.
And this Saturday Sales Manager rode back w me (there was a car show going on) and he asked the detail guy to hit it for $20.

Today I brought it to the best car wash in town. Got them to hand wash it. They are known here to detail for enthusiasts.

Sick.

Mind you I picked up car 12-31-11.

I'm not normally this bad ;)

Leslierc
01-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Like they say...black is not just a colour, it's a career. My first 6 was a Sapphire Black 645Cic and I was cleaning it ALL the time...that car would get "dirty" just from sitting in the garage! Drop-dead gorgeous when it was clean though!

XZLR8
01-31-2012, 10:52 PM
Long ago, I accepted the fact that I am not emotionally healthy enough to own a dark-colored car. Carbon Black is gorgeous, but there's just not enough medication in the world. Titanium Silver, it is.

Itinj6
01-31-2012, 11:21 PM
Just like any gorgeous girl...

roadsta
02-01-2012, 03:58 AM
Indeed.

It is kind of counter-intuitive that black is such a b#tch to keep clean.

But then again, most worthwhile things (and people) are a little high maintenance....

R

Leslierc
02-01-2012, 04:12 AM
Indeed.

It is kind of counter-intuitive that black is such a b#tch to keep clean.

But then again, most worthwhile things (and people) are a little high maintenance....

R

Yes, but only when they return the favor!:)

dkreidel
02-01-2012, 04:54 AM
After 2 Carbon Black cars in a row (550, M5) I decided I needed a break and ordered my 650 vert in white :thumbup:

Itinj6
02-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Jonny, why don't you find yourself a nice wet t-shirt car wash in your area. May make it worthwhile lol.

JONNYCHIRO
02-01-2012, 12:41 PM
We got 'em.
They leave swirls..... ;)

JONNYCHIRO
02-01-2012, 12:45 PM
We got 'em.
They leave swirls..... ;)

Got it washed yesterday. Looked amazing for 7 full minutes.

I don't mind so much the frequent wash req's.

It's the paranoia over swirl marks that kills.

I kept my prior black bimmer mint for like 18 months. Then swirls/clay/repeat started....

Itinj6
02-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Well, it's hard for them to not leave swirls. Lol. But it makes for great entertainment :D

southern6er22
02-01-2012, 01:32 PM
LOL. I read the last few comments while sitting in class, and it was very hard not to burst out laughing.

southern6er22
02-06-2012, 08:20 PM
I am seeing that the Carbon Black is definitely going to require some babysitting, but I think the wheels are going to be the death of me. They don't look like they'd be too bad to clean, but the designers strategically placed a couple of hidden channels that seem to serve no aesthetic or functional purpose - meaning their sole reason for existance is to collect brake dust. It took me longer to clean they rims than the rest of the car... and they weren't even that dirty. I'm going to have to come up with an efficient cleaning method. I'm thinking a combo of a mit and a microfiber cloth. There are a lot of sharp bits, and I have big hands, so the mit is necessary for some of the deeper surfaces. I used a leaf blower to dry them, and it was extremely effective. Any suggestions for cleaning these?

Itinj6
02-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Yeah, Take it to the hand wash down the street and let them worry about it lol.

Seriously, do you have access to a high pressure washer for the wheels? If you do it often enough, maybe it won't be so difficult. Just a suggestion.
Also, Honda makes a really good cleaner that I use for my whole bike and the wheels on it. Everyone in the sportbike community swears by it. Might be worth a shot. It removes break dust and grime like nothing.

southern6er22
02-06-2012, 10:38 PM
I may have to look into it. I'll see if I get more efficient over the next couple of weeks. If not, I'm sure that is cheaper than the bilateral knee replacements I'm going to need if I keep this up.

thom.one.two
02-06-2012, 10:59 PM
I have owned one black car in my life. In 2006, I bought the CLS500 when it first came out. I am OCD about keeping my car clean and black made me crazy. It also eventually got a purple look to me. Traded it in 2008 for an M5.

Check with your BMW center about buying the paint protection package. I'm not sure if it will cover swirl marks, but it does cover stains (so can that be argued??)

I know I have talked about this package before, but again, I am OCD clean with my cars. I admit that I clean the inside of my rims. With the protection package, they told me that brake dust would not stick to my rims. I have gone 1,500 miles now on my F12 and I have yet to clean the rims. The white paint is deeper and has a better gloss than I have ever had on any of my cars. They also supply me with all of the cleaning stuff that I can use for 7 years. I opted for white interior over black interior this time, so that is why I purchased the plan.

My dealership said that if I didn't like it, they would refund my money.

petriej
02-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Coat it up with tons of wax after a good paint repair detail to remove the swirls.

JONNYCHIRO
02-14-2012, 09:00 PM
I've not gone more than 5 days between washes since I drove this thing home.
Re: the post 'bout brake dust: That's the one thing that's surprised me. I really get on the car and brake heavy when I do.
Surprisingly, I don't get much brake dust build up (at least not in the four days till wash time.) ;)

southern6er22
02-14-2012, 09:12 PM
I haven't had too much of a trouble with build up like I often see on the the rims of X5s and X6s, but there is a fine layer that hides in the right place to set off my OCD.

Fred2
02-15-2012, 06:08 AM
You need one of these

http://crspotless.com/

You can wash the car, and then rinse and let air dry.

By not drying the car with a towel, you reduce the chance of swirls.

JONNYCHIRO
02-15-2012, 06:54 AM
Fred I'm driving didn't get a chance to look at link yet.
Does it soften the water too?
My water is stupid hard.

Fred2
02-15-2012, 07:17 AM
It is an Ion exchange system, so it softens the water.

I use one on my cars, it is a good thing.

JONNYCHIRO
02-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Which one did you get Fred?

Fred2
02-15-2012, 10:52 AM
I have the big one on the stand

http://crspotless.com/index.php?category_id=1&tpl=pgroup_descrip&pid=4&return=%3f

JONNYCHIRO
02-15-2012, 11:58 AM
If amazon sells it Prime I'm it will be at my house by Friday. If not I'll get it through web site. Thanks!!!!!

I read bout this very thing in the detail section o this forum.

JONNYCHIRO
02-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Alright, don't even want to tally up how much coin I've dropped on every kind of detailing paraphernalia for the new ride...

As I write she's getting hand washed and waxed at the best place in town.
Been coming here for years and they've always hooked it up sooo right.

I'll do the DIY thing here 'n there but man she's getting so much love right now!!

Edit. Hey Itinj. The yellow bright stuff out there in the background. It's the way pavement looks when the sun
Shines!!!!! ;););):;);):$;););):$

xDrive McGee
02-22-2012, 12:31 PM
LOL this thread is slightly scary. In the span of 2 - 3 months we'll have gone from zero black cars to two.

JONNYCHIRO
02-22-2012, 12:33 PM
LOL this thread is slightly scary. In the span of 2 - 3 months we'll have gone from zero black cars to two.

If you don't know, you will know in stereo!!!! Black is impossible to keep clean. A massive pain to keep looking good. But when clean and waxed shiny. NOTHING, No thing better looking.
:):):).

Welcome to the Jungle!

southern6er22
02-22-2012, 01:11 PM
The black definitely loves to find dirt and pollen, but mine's done okay with weekly cleaning. It does start collecting particles within a couple of days, depending on where I drive, but it still looks great unless you're right on top of it examining it. I always park at the far end of the parking lot, so it looks amazing to most observers. I'd rather the Carbon Black with a little dust than a red or gray (i.e. dirt-hiding color) that looks pristine unless you hit a seriously muddy puddle. Also, if I could get away with fewer washes I'd probably be less likely to wash and examine weekly, and that would lead to bugs and other crap plastering my paint for a longer period of time. Like Jonny said, there is nothing quite as stunning as this car just after being washed, but I don't think it is a perpetual pain in the a$$. It is my everyday car, and I don't feel like I'm a disgrace to BMW at the end of the week.

xDrive McGee
02-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Yeah I agree - totally dig the black. I imagine it'll be worth the effort.

Itinj6
02-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Edit. Hey Itinj. The yellow bright stuff out there in the background. It's the way pavement looks when the sun
Shines!!!!! ;););):;);):$;););):$

What is this "sun" you speak of???

southern6er22
02-22-2012, 05:29 PM
It's that thing that warms the earth... aside from the sonorous emissions from our tail pipes :) :) :)

Itinj6
02-22-2012, 06:07 PM
It's that thing that warms the earth... aside from the sonorous emissions from our tail pipes :) :) :)

Lol, Still not familiar. I thought the earth was heated by residual heat from dinosaur farts.

southern6er22
02-22-2012, 06:16 PM
Lol. I'm going to choose to believe that is the source of the CO2... I thought a big fart was the sound my 6 makes when I come up on a Prius and put my foot down for no reason but personal satisfaction :)

JONNYCHIRO
02-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Anyone know anything about "laser wash"?

The owner of the hand wash/detail place I like also owns a laser wash close to my office. Apparently 100%
Touch Free.

He recc'd it for a quick in between wash...

southern6er22
02-24-2012, 03:09 PM
We don't got that fancy stuff here in Bama. lol

But really, we don't... :(

Itinj6
02-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Ahh, I nice bright day today here in North Jerz looking out my balcony. If my bearings are correct, that is supposed to be a building. See, we do get bright days here too :)

southern6er22
02-24-2012, 03:38 PM
I'm seeing much sun down here on the Coast. I guess the sun is still a little hung over from Mardi Gras.

JONNYCHIRO
02-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Ahh, I nice bright day today here in North Jerz looking out my balcony. If my bearings are correct, that is supposed to be a building. See, we do get bright days here too :)

Looks like we got a pic of you and the Mrs in your photo Itinj. Can just 'bout make out the high and tight USN issued haircut and a pretty blonde! Ha Ha! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Itinj6
02-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Looks like we got a pic of you and the Mrs in your photo Itinj. Can just 'bout make out the high and tight USN issued haircut and a pretty blonde! Ha Ha! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Haha thanks, but she is actually brunette. That pic was taken when I was home on R&R from Ass-crack-istan. I refused to shave lol, but the hair is always clean.

thom.one.two
02-24-2012, 10:44 PM
6er22,
Thanks for the picture. We talk about the outside of the 6 coupe all the time, but that tiny shot shows how beautiful the interior of the coupe is with the black alcantara lining and the contrast stitching. To me, the coupe is nicer on the inside than on the outside, and that's saying a lot because the outside is stunning.

thom.one.two
02-24-2012, 10:50 PM
This shot shows the lines that run from front to back. Again, we talk about the outside, but the designers did just as good with the interior.

southern6er22
02-24-2012, 10:58 PM
I completely agree. It was the Nappa/Alcantara cocoon coupled with the tech toys that pushed me to spend an extra $30k on the 6 over the M3. If I were going to drive it on a track regularly I may have gone M3. Since my car won't be seeing much track, I decided to take my 407 hp with a side of luxury and looks that rival a DB9 rather than a squealing cloud of tire smoke :)

JONNYCHIRO
02-25-2012, 02:14 AM
I forgot the headliner was part of the M. I totally agree it's a gorgeous touch.

Even after almost two months in, I almost ran off the road admiring it.

It's true (albeit lame.). I started looking at it on the front window pillar and then started craning my neck in appreciation of it's rich deep dark texture and the way it wraps around.

'cept I was driving the Tamiami Trail ;););).

I came to my driving senses after I felt the Pffffbt Pfffbt Pffffbt of the lane markers. ;)

xDrive McGee
02-25-2012, 06:56 AM
I remember being in the back seat of a brand new 635csi in the 80s and totally lusting after the car. I was blown away by the interior too, and I think it was the first car I sat inside that felt truly futuristic. It had a damn keypad! One of my formative childhood auto experiences.

Remember "Moonlighting" - most people tuned in to watch the Cybil Shepherd/Bruce Willis sexual tension. Me? I was trying to get a glimpse of their car! The one episode where he trashes the car in a rage at her had me quite confused and feeling weird inside. Lol. Great period of TV when cars were often co-stars (Miami Vice, Knight Rider, Hardcastle & MCormick, and any vehicle the A-team made that week).

That ends my memory lane bit. My apologies.

25+ years later and the interior and technology was a huge selling point over the other cars I shopped. Really, once of the nicest interiors for any car at any price. And it doesn't drive too shabby either! I call it the gentleman's hotrod.

thom.one.two
02-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Had that interior on my M5. With the last 650 and this 650, not available (obviously) on the vert.

southern6er22
03-07-2012, 05:58 PM
I have officially gone to bi-weekly washing. I can get away with just doing the wheels (pain in my a$$ - and knees) on the weekend, but the pollen is killing me. The car still looks okay from a reasonable distance, but it looks oh so fine when it is clean and shiny. Sadly after a couple of days that luster gets covered with pollen. Despite the upkeep, I would get the CB again in a heart beat - absolutely stunning.

JONNYCHIRO
03-10-2012, 03:11 PM
I think, I too, am cool w washing every other week. Maybe every week thrown in often.

Right now it's dirty but I think I might be over the initial phase of surgical cleanliness requirements.

Since waxing the shine really shows through the light dirt that gets on the vehicle even one day after a detail.
It's been a solid week and while dirty she is shiny and still looking tight.

southern6er22
03-10-2012, 03:26 PM
I meant twice a week. I guess I haven't reached the acceptance stage yet. lol. I'm doing a more thorough cleaning on the weekends and a quickie on everything except the wheels on Wednesday. I can do that in a little under an hour. The pollen is just killing me right now. I'm sure my OCD will die ever so slightly as time goes on - hopefully :)

JONNYCHIRO
03-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Oh yeah screw that. I love when she looks good.

But in the end I'm chasing more than a clean ride.

I mean just to have it detailed I gotta sit there for an hour. I don't trust those mobile outfits.

More power to you my man.

AdamG13
03-11-2012, 08:50 PM
One of those California dusters may be a good solution to the pollen issue. I park in a garage so after two days I have a dust coating. It's especially annoying on the windshield once you hit the sun so I usually dust at least the windows every couple of days. Some people say it won't cause scratching or swirling, but I've noticed a small amount from it over time. Black cars get micro scratches everytime I bring it to the car wash anyway (one that's pretty careful from what I observe), so I figure I'm going to get them regardless and may as well dust it to save time over washing it all of the time. Every 6 months I just have a detailer give it a good two step polish to remove some of the micro marring. Have you guys been able to keep yours swirl free so far? Seems like mine started showing them pretty early on, even when I washed it myself and was ultra careful.

southern6er22
03-11-2012, 09:04 PM
No swirls here. I rinse copiously throughout the wash, especially at the beginning. I then use the soap and a microfiber cloth, and, again, use lots of water wherever the mitt touches. Then I rinse thoroughly to get the soap off. I have a special car squeegee to get the bulk of the water off, and then I blow it dry the rest of the way. I hardly let the chamois touch the paint. No spots, no swirls. I did have to use some wax and a compound fluid to get some smashed bug/bird crap off that washing wouldn't get. I had to be very careful not to get micro scratches in those areas when rubbing those substances on the paint.

JONNYCHIRO
03-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Mine had some swirls on the deck lid.
How the **** they got there I've got no idea.

I've only had it hand washed/detailed.

Had it clayed & waxed. Looks perfect.

isildain
03-13-2012, 07:21 AM
Has anybody put the clear bra on their Carbon Black? I've got an appointment to have the leading edges coated after I pick my car up next week.

southern6er22
03-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Nope. Not familiar with it. Is it completely invisible?

isildain
03-13-2012, 10:39 AM
3M makes a Scotchgard Paint Protection Film. My dealer recommended a shop that uses another film from a company called LLumar. Apparently, these coatings are very installer sensitive. If you've got a good installer, then it's fairly transparent. The first time I saw it was on an M6 in the shop. The edges of the film were taken right to the edges of the sheet metal, and you had a hard time seeing it unless you got up close. I've heard that it's better on darker cars. One problem that I have heard about, and I'm not sure if this is just with the older films, is that the edges can get discolored, but this is mostly seen on white cars. It's completely removeable as well.

The installer uses a computer program to cut out the plastic film in a specific pattern for your car. The shop that's going to install it on mine says that it will take about 2 days since the M-sport front has so many nooks and crannies. It will cover the front bumper, hood, fenders and mirrors.

I wasn't sure if anyone here has used this before and what their experience was. I'd like to prevent the swirls before they happen.

Itinj6
03-13-2012, 11:28 AM
I wonder how they go about doing this. I can imagine that it has to be a lint and dust free environment. I remember when I was customizing my sport bike with race decals, some of the decals were bubbling because of dust and lint and had to redo them.

JONNYCHIRO
03-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Just saw it on an AMG. Up close it's quite noticeable at the edge/end.

Backed off from being right over it you can't tell and it saves the paint.

It's a good thing. Not my thing. But good.

thom.one.two
03-13-2012, 04:56 PM
I have rock guards on the sides of the Panamera. They came with the car. I hate them.

To me, by the time I look at that every single time I get into the car, I'd rather have a chip or two that I touch up.

isildain
03-13-2012, 05:03 PM
I'll just take the Alan approach to people looking at my car (The Hangover) "Don't touch it! Don't even look at it. Go on, get out. You heard me. Don't look at me, either."

Itinj6
03-13-2012, 05:11 PM
i'll just take the alan approach to people looking at my car (the hangover) "don't touch it! Don't even look at it. Go on, get out. You heard me. Don't look at me, either."

lmao

southern6er22
03-13-2012, 05:16 PM
I've heard of that movie... and seen it too! Finally, a movie reference from my generation! lol

I'm done being a 1990s brat... sorry ;)

long time
03-13-2012, 05:52 PM
The best product I have found to take care of swirl marks on a dark/black vehicle is
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4162E60VRJL._SS500_.jpg
make sure you follow the directions and DO NOT over apply it - use by hand to increase surface gloss and to clean up spatter or residue after machine glazing all types of refinish or factory applied automotive paints. To minimize the possibility of staining, do not apply in direct sunlight or onto a hot surface. Non-silicone, non wax hand glaze. It is used by hand to refine and fill swirl marks after machine glazing.

This will make the color deep and rich - In my opinion this looks better than a wash/wax job.

JONNYCHIRO
03-14-2012, 12:31 PM
I lied.

Two weeks is impossible to wait.

Made it to ten days the last two it looked really dirty.

Looks amazing!

How is it that the car handles soo much better and rides like a dream after the clean is put on ???? ;) $$$

southern6er22
03-14-2012, 02:26 PM
I feed disgusted with myself when it's really dirty. I don't feel worthy of such a beast if I let it get too bad... gotta go wash my car now. lol

southern6er22
04-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Spent two hours washing my car this afternoon. I didn't finish until the sun was nearly set, and NOW IT IS RAINING!!! So p!ssed right now. Sorry. I had to get that out. It looked beautiful for an hour. I'm sure I'll have some beautiful water spots greeting me in the morning.

thom.one.two
04-02-2012, 10:40 PM
:mad:I glazed mine last week. Nice! I drove it today, and it rained. That is the second time my car has been in the rain. Both times, it was out there for less than 10 minutes. I HATE rain. I can't even think about snow/salt.

southern6er22
04-02-2012, 10:44 PM
If the yard needs watering all I have to do is wash my car. I don't give a damn about the yard - got a sprinkler system for that.

JONNYCHIRO
04-03-2012, 12:10 PM
I hate birds.
I hate pollen
And I despise leaf blowing grass cutting **** sticks.

Rain, tho a car wash killer, I like on occasion.

Thank you.

southern6er22
04-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Rain > Pollen.

Rain = PITA when you spend 30 minutes meticulously drying it.

JONNYCHIRO
04-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Yeah but right now we got crazy lots pollen and almost no rain.

It's like this Southey: A teen age kid hates pimples more than he does type 2 diabetes.

Pimples are jacking up his grille and ruining his chances with the next door neighbor w a daughter who needs a favor...

Diabetes is clearly worse than a pimple puss.

Buts the pimples are in his here and now. Diabetes are in his American diet eating plan 30 years or so down the road.

So, he's like "****ing pimples!!!
Diabetes shmyabeetees. What's that?"

"Mind handing me +1(50) Ding Dong's, Ho Ho's and Little Debbie cakes?"

****ing pollen.
Rain shmane.

JONNYCHIRO
04-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Damned Rain!!!!'

southern6er22
04-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Hahaha. How did I miss your previous post (#73) yesterday? Can't argue with that logic. And yeah, I'll take my perfect skin (lol - I'm just giving you more fodder. I need to shut up). Who needs their legs and eyes anyway?!?!

JONNYCHIRO
04-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Hahaha. How did I miss your previous post (#73) yesterday? Can't argue with that logic. And yeah, I'll take my perfect skin (lol - I'm just giving you more fodder. I need to shut up). Who needs their legs and eyes anyway?!?!

Southey you ever see the comedian Patrice O Neal. I think that's his name. Big Fat Black Guy. Funny as hell!
He does a routine like that. Who cares bout diabetes. You Tube it!!

Elephant in the room is hilarious.

PS. He's dead.

southern6er22
04-04-2012, 11:06 PM
I kinda remember him. I'll have to look it up. I can't complain about T2DM too much. Without it I wouldn't have this car. 75% of my job is somehow related to diabetes and metabolic syndrome. I'd be drivin' a Honda if Americans didn't love their McDonalds.

adamcaplan
04-10-2012, 03:02 PM
I'm on my second Carbon Black BMW, must say it's a labour of love, yet well worth it.

JONNYCHIRO
04-10-2012, 03:11 PM
3:00pm (1500 to Itinj) Car detailed.

5:00pm/1700 Pollen blobs on hood--
A lot of them.

In other news: hit a pot hole hard enough to scrape the wheel in two small spots. Have an appt w BMW to inspect tire/wheel and fix the dings.

Fun.

southern6er22
04-10-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm on my second Carbon Black BMW, must say it's a labour of love, yet well worth it.

Is the first one an M5 estate?

southern6er22
04-10-2012, 03:27 PM
3:00pm (1500 to Itinj) Car detailed.

5:00pm/1700 Pollen blobs on hood--
A lot of them.

In other news: hit a pot hole hard enough to scrape the wheel in two small spots. Have an appt w BMW to inspect tire/wheel and fix the dings.

Fun.

Washed the outside of mine yesterday. Got to my car this morning and pollen disrupting the shininess around the trunk and rear bumper. I think this is why I take so many pictures - document its beauty while pristine, and then when I'm driving it around I can't see the outside anyway. At least my screen saver gallery shows a sparkly, pollen-free car.

adamcaplan
04-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Do you have many pot holes in Tampa? I was there last year, hired a giant GMC Yukon and didn't feel any pot holes.

Blooming SUV was like driving a truck!

London is full of pot holes, it's something you get used to I'm afraid. I've had two double blow outs in the 330d M Sport, once at 4.30pm on a bank holiday weekend about 100 miles from home.

Now that was 'fun'.

adamcaplan
04-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Is the first one an M5 estate?

530d M Sport Tourer.

Did 106,000 miles. Had the swirl flaps removed, fantastic car, sold it two days ago. Could have done another 100K I reckon.

The allure of the 6 was too much to resist!

southern6er22
04-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Sounds like a great car... but I have to agree that the 6 is pretty irresistible :)

JONNYCHIRO
04-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Do you have many pot holes in Tampa? I was there last year, hired a giant GMC Yukon and didn't feel any pot holes.

London is full of pot holes, it's something you get used to I'm afraid. I've had two double blow outs in the 330d M Sport, once at 4.30pm on a bank holiday weekend about 100 miles from home.

Now that was 'fun'.

Nothing compared to NYC but all it takes is one good one: felt like I was torpedoed.

I,too, had a blow out in a 335. It was at high speed and I was impressed with how the computer kept the vehicle under control--or was it my amazing skills. Dunno!

I'm so glad I got the tire warranty.

Itinj6
04-10-2012, 04:09 PM

Now that was 'fun'.

Speaking of potholes, you can't spit in NYC without hitting one.

I noticed you got the 20" wheels. If you haven't already, I highly recommend wheel and tire insurance. I've had to replace four tires in three months already. You hit a pothole and that tire will bubble like a fat man farting in a bathtub after a bean burrito.

southern6er22
04-10-2012, 07:03 PM
You hit a pothole and that tire will bubble like a fat man farting in a bathtub after a bean burrito.

You should teach grade school kids about similes. You would add a nice contrast to traditional poetry :)

Itinj6
04-10-2012, 07:18 PM
You should teach grade school kids about similes. You would add a nice contrast to traditional poetry :)

Not to mention getting fired on day 1 of the job

Lol

southern6er22
04-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Those boys and girls would sure learn a lot... I know I have lol.

southern6er22
04-13-2012, 07:12 AM
This color sure looks great at night - very menacing.

Itinj6
04-13-2012, 10:07 AM
This color sure looks great at night - very menacing.

Your window trim and chrome side turn signal housings look black. Is it just the picture or did you change them?

lighty150
04-13-2012, 11:41 AM
you have to get a shammi...the real leather one.....not the synthetic ones......a good one goes for between 30-50 dollars...but wont give you swirls....only the tan color!!!!!! the purple and green ones are industry ones that are made of a different material......ive had mine for over 15 yerars......and does wonders when drying a black car

southern6er22
04-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Your window trim and chrome side turn signal housings look black. Is it just the picture or did you change them?

Changed them...

*I swear I'm not lying :rofl:*

I'm gonna do it soon. Kinda waiting for it to become more readily available so maybe I won't be quite so much... and if it is "so much," then if I wait a while it won't seem so much like BMW is raping me for something that should have been included with that $4400 M Sport premium.

southern6er22
04-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Just finished washing my car (I seem to say that quite often lol), and I nearly had a heart attack. As I was rinsing the car I noticed the water wasn't flowing right over the large painted area between the back window and the rear side window (C pillar, I guess is what that is called). Looked a little closer, and there was this long line going from the side window all the way to the tail light, and I could feel that it was at a height different from the paint. I swear my heart stopped for about 2 seconds as I thought it got keyed.......... Luckily, after much examination trying not to freak, I realized it was a spider web that got plastered to the side of the car. Good news: I didn't get keyed. Bad news: it took an hour to carefully get it off using the compounding agent. The line started midway up the rear side window, down to the driver's side tail light, and 3/4 of the way across the back of the trunk, i.e. about 5 feet. I finally got it all off working in about 3" to 4" segments to make sure it didn't dry too much leaving particles that might scratch the paint, and this also forced me to go slowly to make sure that I wasn't getting swirls....

Moral of the story - stay away from spider webs.

JONNYCHIRO
04-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Good. Glad to hear not keyed.

Now get your skinny Southern
Ass over here and wash my car or I'll
Give ya a beating. ;););$;)

JONNYCHIRO
04-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Ys

southern6er22
04-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Haha. I don't think I could handle 2 CB Bimmers. If I ever have 2 in the stable I'll probably just have to hire and train 2 people to keep up my cars. They get 50% up front and the remaining 50% pending my inspection. Or I guess I could just move to a real city with people who know how to handle a car. The only car wash I know of is filled with minivans, Camrys, and Kias. I sure as hell am not letting those grubby hands used to cleaning pleather near my Nappa and CB paint.

JONNYCHIRO
04-13-2012, 04:40 PM
It was worth a shot ;)

JONNYCHIRO
04-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Have no idea how but I got a bunch oh hard water spots like pen points on
the front of the hood.

You gotta get up on it, close and at a crazy angle to see them. Detail guys caught it. They are worth every .01.

southern6er22
04-17-2012, 02:19 PM
I think you should start washing your car in Evian... that's what I do.

Kidding lol.

Although I did shower with bottled water once during my freshman year. They shut off the dorm water at 8 am for maintenance (big brains in these plumber people), and I had no other choice. Sadly, that's the craziest college story I have. I think I did something wrong over the last four years...

JONNYCHIRO
04-17-2012, 03:33 PM
I think you should start washing your car in Evian... that's what I do.

Kidding lol.

Although I did shower with bottled water once during my freshman year. They shut off the dorm water at 8 am for maintenance (big brains in these plumber people), and I had no other choice. Sadly, that's the craziest college story I have. I think I did something wrong over the last four years...

If some girl out there can't share that same exact story (and out of discretion not mention you as a fellow showeree) then sadly yes my young forum friend.

Yes indeed you've done something wrong.

Take the phone off the hook and disappear for awhile.

Vienna waits for you.

southern6er22
04-17-2012, 03:59 PM
lol

TopDownInFL
04-17-2012, 05:41 PM
Have no idea how but I got a bunch oh hard water spots like pen points on
the front of the hood.

You gotta get up on it, close and at a crazy angle to see them. Detail guys caught it. They are worth every .01.

I dry wash my car with Dri Wash 'n Guard. It's a chemical wash. Water sealant, 2 UV protectants, etc.

JONNYCHIRO
04-17-2012, 09:11 PM
I dry wash my car with Dri Wash 'n Guard. It's a chemical wash. Water sealant, 2 UV protectants, etc.

I think I bought this on amazon.com
And never even took it out of the box.
Going to look now.....

JONNYCHIRO
05-31-2012, 10:44 AM
Hand Washed today.
Hand Waxed today.

Worth all the headaches. ;)

southern6er22
05-31-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm doing that either this weekend or next weekend. I last did it the first or second week of February, so I'm thinking it's about time to reapply some wax.

JONNYCHIRO
05-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Makes a tremendous difference.

southern6er22
05-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Do you think it brings out the blue a little more? I feel like my car is a little less blue now. It could all be in my head. Idk.

JONNYCHIRO
05-31-2012, 07:05 PM
Do you think it brings out the blue a little more? I feel like my car is a little less blue now. It could all be in my head. Idk.

Wow. It's funny you mention that. A lot more blue. I almost posted my car is now Carbon Blue after the wax.

'Cept you'd never know it from the pic I took today. I pulled a Thom and a Southern move: looked back the whole time I walked away. :)

southern6er22
05-31-2012, 07:24 PM
I'll try to take a before/after shot of the car at the same time of the day in the same spot.

Itinj6
05-31-2012, 11:35 PM
That black grille is still teh sex

JONNYCHIRO
06-02-2012, 09:22 AM
That black grille is still teh sex

It's like my fav aspect. Well, front end anyway. Walking up to vehicle, it stares back menacing and aggressive but nonetheless distincand current and refined.

southern6er22
06-02-2012, 11:20 AM
It's like my fav aspect.

More than the LEDs?

JONNYCHIRO
06-02-2012, 11:47 AM
More than the LEDs?

I backtracked & said front end altogether.

LED= LOVE.

southern6er22
06-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Can I just say to anyone worried about going for the Carbon Black: Yes, it looks dirty if not cared for regularly. However, you get an amazing feeling every time you wash the car and see it clean and sparkly, and that alone is worth something - a whole lot of something.

It's been raining here for the last five days straight, and my car looked disgusting this morning from the spots and wavy, dirty patches from the water runoff. I hosed it down, shampooed it, and blew it dry, and it was absolutely stunning to see it sitting in the driveway. It looked like an entirely new car.

JONNYCHIRO
06-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Can I just say to anyone worried about going for the Carbon Black: Yes, it looks dirty if not cared for regularly. However, you get an amazing feeling every time you wash the car and see it clean and sparkly, and that alone is worth something - a whole lot of something.

It's been raining here for the last five days straight, and my car looked disgusting this morning from the spots and wavy, dirty patches from the water runoff. I hosed it down, shampooed it, and blew it dry, and it was absolutely stunning to see it sitting in the driveway. It looked like an entirely new car.

Totally man. But it's sad and painful when she's dirty. And she's so damned dirty so much of the time. :(

southern6er22
06-12-2012, 09:39 PM
It definitely doesn't look car wash fresh all the time, but lately I've been surprised about how good it has looked several days after being washed. I must concede, that when it looks bad, it looks really bad. Looking at my car pre-wash today was actually painful. It was just too much to bear.

JONNYCHIRO
06-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Is summer your rainy season as it is for FL?

Mommy, hold me!

southern6er22
06-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Is summer your rainy season as it is for FL?

Let me put it this way: AL is FL with fewer AARP members and more trailer parks and hunting camps.

So, yeah, summer = rain = hurricanes = :mad:

JONNYCHIRO
06-12-2012, 09:49 PM
I realized what a stupid question that was after I posted it. As if a neighboring state in the Gulf would have its own distinct climate.

;)

southern6er22
06-12-2012, 09:52 PM
We are a distinct breed, but not a distinct climate. The breed comes from all of the incest. Mother Nature cares less about genetics.

Itinj6
06-12-2012, 10:23 PM
What's a hurricane?

JONNYCHIRO
06-12-2012, 10:26 PM
What's a hurricane?

It's a type of glass I serve your blended **** fruity drinks in w the little umbrella you like. ;).

XZLR8
06-12-2012, 10:26 PM
What's a hurricane?

Karma for not having to deal with snow, I think.

southern6er22
06-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Karma for not having to deal with snow, I think.

LOL. I've only had one snow day in my life, and I think I could use a few more :) Hurricanes are kinda fun depending on the severity. We've been pretty lucky. We've got a generator built into the house, so I'm able to manage... :D

Itinj6
06-12-2012, 10:39 PM
It's a type of glass I serve your blended **** fruity drinks in w the little umbrella you like. ;).

With a little lemon twist :)

JONNYCHIRO
06-12-2012, 10:40 PM
With a little lemon twist :)

Have I ever NOT twisted your little lemon? ;)

Itinj6
06-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Have I ever NOT twisted your little lemon? ;)

You twist it like nobody's business

southern6er22
06-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Get a room. ;)

JONNYCHIRO
06-13-2012, 05:12 AM
Oh no we've defiled the CB thread!

southern6er22
06-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Better the thread than the paint :)

southern6er22
06-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Washed the car yesterday. So this is right on time... :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Itinj6
06-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Is that John Lennon's mug on the idrive screen or Jeffrey Dahmer?

southern6er22
06-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Lennon. Imagine.

thom.one.two
06-14-2012, 12:01 AM
Lennon. Imagine.

Southey! Can you grow up a little, pleez? I mean, come on.

southern6er22
06-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Southey! Can you grow up a little, pleez? I mean, come on.

What do you expect me to listen to? Sam.i.am, Lady Perry, Justin Gaga, Nikki Massage, and Flo Bieber?!?!?

JONNYCHIRO
06-14-2012, 06:48 PM
What do you expect me to listen to? Sam.i.am, Lady Perry, Justin Gaga, Nikki Massage, and Flo Bieber?!?!?

Only if you trade in your Barry Manilow collection. ;)

southern6er22
06-14-2012, 07:05 PM
lol. That picture is just plain creepy.

JONNYCHIRO
06-14-2012, 07:13 PM
lol. That picture is just plain creepy.

Oh, I'm sorry. You wanted a photo of Barry that wasn't creepy...

At the Copa...

southern6er22
06-14-2012, 07:22 PM
I hope you're getting these pics from Google Images and not from your private iPhone galleries. ;)

JONNYCHIRO
06-14-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm so ashamed of dishonoring the CB thread.

Itinj6
06-15-2012, 12:22 AM
Only if you trade in your Barry Manilow collection. ;)

That is one hot chick!

MELLOWYELLOW06
06-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Looks like an 80's porn star in the 1st pic ;)

Itinj6
06-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Looks like an 80's porn star in the 1st pic ;)

You mean an 80's female porn star, right? Lol

Besides, we all know the men donned only the finest groomed pornstache in the 80's

southern6er22
06-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Besides, we all know the men donned only the finest groomed pornstache in the 80's

I'm glad I missed that decade. ;)

MELLOWYELLOW06
06-15-2012, 07:32 PM
You mean an 80's female porn star, right? Lol

yeah, Ginger Lynn :D

Itinj6
06-15-2012, 11:02 PM
I'm glad I missed that decade. ;)

True... You just skipped right on to the 70's lol

Itinj6
06-15-2012, 11:03 PM
yeah, Ginger Lynn :D

There ya go lol.

southern6er22
06-15-2012, 11:22 PM
True... You just skipped right on to the 70's lol

I told you I'm really an old fart on the inside. :)

southern6er22
06-22-2012, 11:56 PM
Stupid spiders... :mad:

The web is plastered on. I really do hate Mother Nature sometimes.

Itinj6
06-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Stupid spiders... :mad:

The web is plastered on. I really do hate Mother Nature sometimes.

I get those too. I haven't waxed my car but I think you do. I'm surprised it sticks to a waxed car.

southern6er22
06-23-2012, 06:27 AM
Me too. It's pretty bad. It's harmless, but it takes forever to get off using the compound working inch by inch.

southern6er22
06-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Me too. It's pretty bad. It's harmless, but it takes forever to get off using the compound working inch by inch.

Luckily I overreacted this time. That web was on there for three days, and the wind didn't seem to knock it off, and spraying it with water didn't do the trick either. I was just outside and pinched the web in the space between the hood and the front bumper, and the spider web pulled right off without any problem. I guess the wax I have on the car helped with this, but I still find it interesting that neither water nor the air running across that part of the car was forceful enough to remove the web.

I guess I was overly concerned given the time and effort required to remove the last spider web that wrapped around the side and back of my car.