PDA

View Full Version : How much gas does our tank hold?

gmblack3
01-31-2012, 03:48 PM
Ran it down to 22 miles left on the computer. :yikes:

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/1435/42477410150515997363144.jpg

If my math is right, that was about $8.50 a gallon for the super duper stuff.

See the rest of the story here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597842

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/6254/p1030530j.jpg

jadnashuanh
01-31-2012, 04:55 PM
The tank holds about 70-liters or 18.5 USG. The warning comes on early...if you keep driving, it will show zero, but the distance to empty will still show some distance on the gauge. I've gotten a bit over 500 miles on a tank on a trip before refilling, but conditions have to right. Now, if this was the diesel, I'd have probably another couple hundred miles fuel left at that distance.

The way the fuel pump works in this vehicle, you don't really want to run it dry, and should refill when it asks you.

gmblack3
02-01-2012, 02:37 AM
The tank holds about 70-liters or 18.5 USG. The warning comes on early...if you keep driving, it will show zero, but the distance to empty will still show some distance on the gauge. I've gotten a bit over 500 miles on a tank on a trip before refilling, but conditions have to right. Now, if this was the diesel, I'd have probably another couple hundred miles fuel left at that distance.

The way the fuel pump works in this vehicle, you don't really want to run it dry, and should refill when it asks you.

Thanks for info. Now I just need to figure out how to reset the avg mpg for the drive back. So much to absorb while trying to navigate at 80+.

jadnashuanh
02-01-2012, 01:10 PM
When the mpg is selected, instead of just momentarily pressing the button on the stalk to switch to the next value, hold it in until it resets.

wchewbaka
02-01-2012, 03:44 PM
You can go to the Trip Computer:

Menu>Vehicle Info>Trip Computer>

This displays, among others, the MPG.

I have mine on Automatically Reset - which resets info if the car has not moved for 4 hours.

This way I can check varying stats, keeping in mind the type of driving of the day.

gmblack3
02-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Thanks everyone! We will see what kind of MPG at 80-90 or maybe more :) on the way back to Munich.

jadnashuanh
02-01-2012, 05:37 PM
They tell you to not exceed 100mph for the first 1200-miles. I did not, but mine did see 100mph a few times on the autobahn. Nearly 10K miles on it now, and the oil sensor still says it it full, hasn't moved a drop. It's hard to keep it under control and not floor it, but that helps seat things, too, and can maximize the overall tightness of the engine long-term. From reading here, though, there seems to be a big difference in oil consumption between the I6 and the V8, where the V8 tends to use (sometimes alot) more than the I6. Since my year will be up in March, I won't likely get to see the max life out of the oil, but really doesn't matter, since it's free to get changed anyway. Computer determined time, or 1-year, whichever comes first is the rule on these cars for replacing the oil. At nearly 10K, mine still says 9K miles until service is required.

gmblack3
02-02-2012, 12:48 AM
They tell you to not exceed 100mph for the first 1200-miles. I did not, but mine did see 100mph a few times on the autobahn. Nearly 10K miles on it now, and the oil sensor still says it it full, hasn't moved a drop. It's hard to keep it under control and not floor it, but that helps seat things, too, and can maximize the overall tightness of the engine long-term. From reading here, though, there seems to be a big difference in oil consumption between the I6 and the V8, where the V8 tends to use (sometimes alot) more than the I6. Since my year will be up in March, I won't likely get to see the max life out of the oil, but really doesn't matter, since it's free to get changed anyway. Computer determined time, or 1-year, whichever comes first is the rule on these cars for replacing the oil. At nearly 10K, mine still says 9K miles until service is required.

I think they also say not to exceed 3500 rpm. I know I was near that a few times getting around slower cars when faster cars approaching. Figure I'll have 500-550 miles on it by the time I do the drop off tomorrow. Good to hear you have no oil burning issues. I might do a 2000 mile oil change myself since we plan on keeping this car long term (10+ years.)

jadnashuanh
02-02-2012, 02:05 PM
They don't recommend you force it to do multiple gear downshifts, but if you don't push it beyond 100mph, it will never get to 3500rpm in the first place - that's just about 100mph or so (and I think it was 4000rpm, not 3500, but that's a mute point now!). Anyway, I didn't feel deprived. If it had had more miles on it, I might have liked to drive it around Nurburgring (sp?)

gmblack3
02-02-2012, 02:10 PM
They don't recommend you force it to do multiple gear downshifts, but if you don't push it beyond 100mph, it will never get to 3500rpm in the first place - that's just about 100mph or so (and I think it was 4000rpm, not 3500, but that's a mute point now!). Anyway, I didn't feel deprived. If it had had more miles on it, I might have liked to drive it around Nurburgring (sp?)

Drove back from Vienna today. A few unlimited areas of the bahn at 120. Slowly build speed to that points. Cruised with another GT for 15-20 mins at 90-100. Great time!