PDA

View Full Version : Xdrive?

pan
01-31-2012, 06:52 PM
In the next few weeks I plan to order my third 650i. I live in Colorado I'm very seriously thinking of the xdrive version of the car. Although I've not had any trouble with my 2006 and 2010 in the snow. However, it is rare that I take it skiing. I do put four wheel snows on my cars and have done that for years. This car has so much torque and such wide tires that I have avoided driving it in deep mountain snows.

So my question to you guys is would you go with the Xdrive? What do you see as benefits and negatives? Lastly what options do you think are a must.

If you look at my signature I have a list of current options which I love. Of those my favorites are the Active Cruise, Comfort Access, HUD, Active steering and Auto high beams. I know I have some potential conflicts.

Thanks in advance.

XZLR8
01-31-2012, 10:50 PM
I opted for the xDrive and stuck with the 19" A/S tires, although I have to admit that it felt odd not switching out to snows, as I've done with the countless BMWs before this. We haven't had much of a winter here this year (knock on wood), so I really haven't had the opportunity to test the theory, but so far, it's been good. And how nice to not be paying for and swapping out another set of wheels and tires.

southern6er22
01-31-2012, 11:06 PM
Just picked mine up today (650i xDrive coupe) and have only put 50 miles on it. Nevertheless, here are my first impressions:
-Amazing grip and acceleration. Great in the corners and twisty bits. It feels like it is half its size. I have the Active Roll Stabilization as well. I never drove one without it, but the handling is remarkable. I got xDrive mainly for rain and extra traction (never snows here in Bama), but I think it drives and handles really well.
-M Sport is a must. I know it is a lot of money for the look, but three things that I would not give up (a) exhaust - I drove a non-M 'vert, and it sounded very tame. The M coupe is a savage beast; (b) alcantara headliner - I have black leather inside, so this was a must; (c) M steering wheel - very ergonomic, thick, and great feel. There are three non-aesthetic reasons it is worth the $4400. I love the look, especially the front and the wheels.
-HUD is a must. Less than a day driving it, and I already can't imagine driving without it. I never looked at the speedometer - just used the HUD. Also, the nav. directions on it are very helpful, and it is nice not having to look at the main screen.
-Full LEDs are beautiful. They transform the car. Do a side-by-side comparison if you are unsure. They are worth the money for the looks alone. However, the whiteness of the light and the adaptive feature is brilliant.
-Premium sound really sounds great. I can't imagine the B&O being very much better. It is a lot of money for aluminum covers and a fancy name. I was tempted by the B&O but decided against it. I never thought that the sound system sounded like anything but a top-of-the-line system when listening to a combination of rock and instrumental.
-If you care about the inside looking luxiourious, then the nappa dash with contrast stitching and the ceramic controls are also a must. It really makes the car look like it is a +$100,000 car. Again, if you aren't sure, look at two side-by-side. It's obviously subjective, but once I saw a comparison there was no going back.

Hope this helps.

svp66
02-01-2012, 12:12 AM
2.5 months, 2200 miles in Minnesota, Michelin X-Ice = very happy. Not a lot of snow this year, but several trips in poor conditions. I decided to use only AWD vehicles after I had a gorgeous RWD SLK. I think there would be way too much power on rear wheels in snow conditions for the RWD car.

unlaidenswallow
02-01-2012, 08:31 AM
2.5 months, 2200 miles in Minnesota, Michelin X-Ice = very happy. Not a lot of snow this year, but several trips in poor conditions. I decided to use only AWD vehicles after I had a gorgeous RWD SLK. I think there would be way too much power on rear wheels in snow conditions for the RWD car.

Lived in (and loved) MN about 10 years ago - had a FWD Acura and really needed to switch over to Blizzak's for each winter. With things a little milder here in NJ I'm still hoping to be able to avoid changing tires/wheels at all - I've been fine with my x-drive 3 and 5, but those weren't 19s and obviously were pretty different cars than the 6. If I do need to do something different (mostly because of a steep street and driveway to my house) I'm trying to figure out whether I'd just get winter tires or whether I should get separate wheels as well.

Couple (silly?) questions if I do need to look into switching:
- I see you went with 18s even though the car is designed for 19s and 20s. Is the thought that the smaller wheels will perform better in snow? or just less expensive?
- Obviously buying 4 new wheels in addition to winter tires is a lot more expensive than just using the same wheels and switching tires. Pros / cons? Concerns about damaging the wheels if the tires are switched twice a year? Or just protecting the OEM wheels in bad weather?

Appreciate any thoughts. Getting mine within the next few days :D

southern6er22
02-01-2012, 08:46 AM
You're gonna love it! I've barely gotten out of mine since I picked it up yesterday afternoon.

pan
02-01-2012, 09:20 AM
XZLR8 Great to see you on this board I remember you from the 745i boards

SOUTHER6ER22 I agree with you HUD is a must. Its one of the options that keeps me in BMWs. The M is always a great temptation but reality sets in and I stay with a normally configured power plant. There is enough power for my needs. The police is so thick in this area I've gotten in the habit of using Active Cruise to keep me in check. The only time I've missed not having a "M" was when I took my car to Highplains Race course for a BMW sponsored event.

UNLAIDENSWALLOW the 2010 came with 19s and that is what is pictured in my Avatar. However I do have a set of 18" wheels which I use for snows. The reason I went this way rather than have the tires switched is two fold. The 18's offer an easier selection of snow tires. The second was few years ago I had a tire jockey replace the tires and cross threaded a lug nuts on one of the front wheels. Four or five months later as they switched back the tires they were unable to remove the cross threaded lug nut without breaking it. The dealer had no choice but to replace the front hub assembly. So I decided I could do that myself.

southern6er22
02-01-2012, 01:44 PM
I know that most of y'all are concerned about xDrive for snow/ice purposes, but today I have found it to be brilliant in the rain. It has been pouring here all day, and I have not had any issues with the standing water. I have hit puddles going slightly faster than I probably should have, and the car was still stuck to the ground. I was able to pull out and accelerating harder than I woud ever dare in a RWD car. Not skidding or spinning - the thing is planted all the time. I think the 40:60 rear-wheel bias makes up for not being RWD. So much fun!

isildain
02-01-2012, 02:59 PM
- I see you went with 18s even though the car is designed for 19s and 20s. Is the thought that the smaller wheels will perform better in snow? or just less expensive?
- Obviously buying 4 new wheels in addition to winter tires is a lot more expensive than just using the same wheels and switching tires. Pros / cons? Concerns about damaging the wheels if the tires are switched twice a year? Or just protecting the OEM wheels in bad weather?

Another reason to use 18 inch wheels instead of 19's or 20's in the winter is that a lot of people will use a higher profile tire to ward off rim dents from the potholes that inevitably develop on winter roads. It provides and extra inch or so of cushion, and you end up with a tire assembly that is just about the same diameter as a 19 inch wheel and tire.

XZLR8
02-02-2012, 09:35 PM
XZLR8 Great to see you on this board I remember you from the 745i boards
I was thinking the same thing. We've been at this a long time, my friend. Nice to see you again.

svp66
02-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Lived in (and loved) MN about 10 years ago - had a FWD Acura and really needed to switch over to Blizzak's for each winter. With things a little milder here in NJ I'm still hoping to be able to avoid changing tires/wheels at all - I've been fine with my x-drive 3 and 5, but those weren't 19s and obviously were pretty different cars than the 6. If I do need to do something different (mostly because of a steep street and driveway to my house) I'm trying to figure out whether I'd just get winter tires or whether I should get separate wheels as well.

Couple (silly?) questions if I do need to look into switching:

I talked with the guys at tirerack, they recommend smaller rims / winter tires for better traction (did the same for my previous 335). BMW also sells a winter tire package, my dealer quoted $840 each. I had the tirerack send 4 of them for $1600 including delivery, so it was a no brainer....

If you have the M-package, you'll have to get winter tires (I got stuck with an SLK in 0.5 inch of snow - no adherence whatsoever on performance tires). If you have the all-season, you may be OK with stock. I use winter tires on all our cars though

One problem is that to get run-flats you need OEM rims, and then you need to either purchase at the BMW price or swap twice per year - found out that many tire places will not touch run-flats. Since I never had a flat winter tire for last 4 cars, and I certainly do not plan to swap a tire myself on the side of the road, I bought the regular winter tirerack combo and I will call BMW assist for a flat if need be....

pan
02-04-2012, 02:09 PM
All three of my BMWs have had run-flats. I can't really compare the performance of non-run-flats against the run-flats. I have no complaints with their performance for normal driving. The one time I took my car on the track they worked just fine for the novice that I am. I sure like the convenience of run-flats.

I have not had a problem with dealers avoiding the tires.