PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new garage door opener? beware of HomeLink and Security + 2.0 Chamberlain

B-737
01-31-2012, 09:00 PM
I posted this at e90 but I know there are lot of you who own homes and don't visit that site... or go digging around in the electronics sub forum.

If you're purchasing a new garage door opener be careful. My 2011 E92 homelink did not function with a brand new Chamberlain (liftmaster) HD920 / HD920EV (# 349544 ) . Esp if your car was manufactured 2010 or before, who knows how long after? mine is a MY2011 that was built late 2010.

The opener features Security + 2.0 which according to Homelink, should work with our cars if they have homelink '4.0' the most recent version of the homelink software.

BMW was not able to ascertain which version was in my car, or if they did they never called me back.

I tried 7 ways to sunday to get my car to learn the remote for the new opener, no luck. My car has successfully learned any other garage remote that I tried on it for other homes (5 different openers). I was even able to make my new opener motor learn my old remotes that formerly programmed my car before... but no matter what, my car would not work with this new opener.

Homelink's solution is to mail a 'repeater' to you. They are $80, they sent me mine free of all charges. You plug the repeater in the wall, program your car with the 'repeaters' remote as you normally would any other opener on your car...

It's really frustrating to use this work around, as it's one more thing to fail or get fried over time since its just sitting in a wall outlet. Also, if the power is out, the garage door wont open from Homelink in the car unless you plug the repeater into a UPS :tsk:

the car learned the repeater in like 5 seconds.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e53/klehmann/543a7e78.jpg

emptydesk
01-31-2012, 11:36 PM
If the power is out, the garage door will not open regardless.

mossman35
02-01-2012, 05:02 AM
If the power is out, the garage door will not open regardless.

I thought the same thing when I read this, but I believe some of the newer openers have some sort of battery backup. Not sure though.

Of course, the the OP's opener doesn't have a battery backup and he made that statement, I have doubts as to his ability to program the homelink...... :D

rtgirard
02-01-2012, 05:25 AM
If the power is out, the garage door will not open regardless.Standby generators are wonderful ;-) Not within everyone's budget, but they sure make life easier if you're in an area prone to outages.

B-737
02-01-2012, 06:10 AM
modern garage door openers have back up batteries that allow the door to be operated during power outages

tlm999
02-01-2012, 06:14 AM
I thought the same thing when I read this, but I believe some of the newer openers have some sort of battery backup. Not sure though.

Of course, the the OP's opener doesn't have a battery backup and he made that statement, I have doubts as to his ability to program the homelink...... :D

Exactly. My 1 year old Chamberlin (not sure of the model #) has a battery backup that will open/close the door several times if the power is out. I've used it a couple times already as power outages occur more often than I like in our area. I had more difficulty programming it to work with my F10 than I did with other vehicle but eventually I got it to work. If I remember correctly, the instructions say to hold the remote about 2-3 inches from the Homelink buttons while programming but when I finally got it to accept the code I was holding it over a foot away.

mossman35
02-01-2012, 06:58 AM
Standby generators are wonderful ;-) Not within everyone's budget, but they sure make life easier if you're in an area prone to outages.

Yes, Friend has one. If the OP had a generator (wired into the house) the repeater would be a non-issue.

B-737
02-01-2012, 07:28 AM
as i said in the first post, i can plug the repeater into a UPS. i really dont feel like dealing with installing a UPS in my garage of all places.... the repeater isnt a non issue... its a result of BMW not having 2010 / MY2011's with the most current Homelink software. No matter what, the car (and yours if its 2011 or earlier, maybe later?!) will not be able to communicate with a + 2.0 security opener.

the fact that we need 'extra parts' to make a 2011 homelink car work with an opener is absurd. all well, not a big deal, but a let down none the less.

chris328
02-01-2012, 07:51 AM
my garage just has a normal lock on the front that pulls out and has a wire attached to it, ive never had to use it but apparently that is for opening it when theres no power.

B-737
02-01-2012, 07:56 AM
dudes.... this isnt about the opener working during power outages... read the post. thats a pretty mundane feature these days, most new ones come with built in back up batteries.

its about the lack of updated software in our homelink modules.

many cars seem to be having this issue. I found several Lexus ppl too
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/6961322-post38.html

Another user's 2012 Honda was able to communicate with the Security + 2.0 opener, while his 2011 Lexus was not.

mossman35
02-01-2012, 08:38 AM
as i said in the first post, i can plug the repeater into a UPS. i really dont feel like dealing with installing a UPS in my garage of all places.... the repeater isnt a non issue... its a result of BMW not having MY2010 /2011's with the most current Homelink software, no matter what, the car will not be able to communicate with + 2.0 security opener.

the fact that we need 'extra parts' to make a 2011 homelink car work with an opener is absurd. all well, not a big deal, but a let down none the less.

I agree it's an issue to have a repeater. It should work without a repeater.

My post was referencing the power outage concerns. I was also assuming the generator was wired to provide power to the entire house.. Then there is special UPS requirement, just plug it in. :)

aggie njneer
05-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Hi B-737,
What color light is your homelink in your car? I called Homelink and it said it would only work with homelink units that have a green light and not red or yellow.

andrew b
05-08-2012, 06:01 AM
Weird. My door opener is a Liftmaster with 2.0 security, and the homelink in my 2007 programmed to open it just fine. It did take me a while, but once I found a video (for Mercedes) that walked me through the learning process, it worked first try. The video was enlightening, as I recall the steps in the manual weren't quite what I had to do.

This is the video that helped me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxLOLV6tuNo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

slant83
05-08-2012, 06:31 AM
dudes.... this isnt about the opener working during power outages... read the post. thats a pretty mundane feature these days, most new ones come with built in back up batteries.

its about the lack of updated software in our homelink modules.

many cars seem to be having this issue. I found several Lexus ppl too
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/6961322-post38.html

Another user's 2012 Honda was able to communicate with the Security + 2.0 opener, while his 2011 Lexus was not.

I always had issues like this. The best work around was to do as above link. Have the car learn the remote that works with the garage (rolling code or + 2.0) then link to opener. After many repeated attempts, I got it to work

B-737
05-08-2012, 07:10 AM
Hi B-737,
What color light is your homelink in your car? I called Homelink and it said it would only work with homelink units that have a green light and not red or yellow.

interesting find Aggie, the HomeLink light in my 2011 328 was the yellow one, none of the techs i spoke with mentioned that little tidbit. i chalked it up to a 2010 BUILD not being able to communicate with +2.0. I was stuck using the repeater box...

ive attempted to program it ad-nauseum, and have successfully programed it to operate many other doors... just not my + 2.0 opener.

i sold the car so doesnt matter too much now but this is good info to have out there on the forum.

ProfessorCook
05-08-2012, 08:08 AM
Thank you for posting this, OP.

bobkat09
05-08-2012, 02:40 PM
My garage door installer told me that a repeater is needed for ALL cars with homelink that were made after 2009.

wh00sh
05-08-2012, 03:00 PM
My garage door installer told me that a repeater is needed for ALL cars with homelink that were made after 2009.
After or before 2009? The wife's '12 touring works just fine with our ca 2005 opener.

Since it makes the opener backwards compatible with older remotes, I take it that the repeater in essence defeats the +2.0 security features... that really sucks since there is sure to be a premium for that "upgrade" in the price of the new unit.

bobkat09
05-08-2012, 05:05 PM
He said starting with MY2009 and on needs the repeater.

aggie njneer
05-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Weird. My door opener is a Liftmaster with 2.0 security, and the homelink in my 2007 programmed to open it just fine. It did take me a while, but once I found a video (for Mercedes) that walked me through the learning process, it worked first try. The video was enlightening, as I recall the steps in the manual weren't quite what I had to do.

This is the video that helped me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxLOLV6tuNo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hi Andrew,

What color was your light on your 2007? I'm getting the 8550 installed tomorrow at my house and also had Liftmaster send me the repeater kit just in case.

andrew b
05-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Hi Andrew,

What color was your light on your 2007? I'm getting the 8550 installed tomorrow at my house and also had Liftmaster send me the repeater kit just in case.

Mine has a green light.

Kilgore Trout
05-15-2012, 01:45 PM
After or before 2009? The wife's '12 touring works just fine with our ca 2005 opener.

Since it makes the opener backwards compatible with older remotes, I take it that the repeater in essence defeats the +2.0 security features... that really sucks since there is sure to be a premium for that "upgrade" in the price of the new unit.

My 2009 works fine with my GENIE opener (which I bought in 2004). My neighbor's 2011 E90 also works fine, although I am not sure what kind of garage door opener he has.

B-737
08-26-2012, 12:19 PM
just wanted to follow up here...
i sold the BMW, and also took the garage "repeater" out...
i have a 2012 Tacoma, that came with homelink... the homelink on this truck works flawlessly with this garage door opener. its obviously an issue with the 2010/2011 homelink devices in the BMWs not being compatible with security +2.0 ...

twhisten
08-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Can BMW do a software upgrade so the cars work with the new opener program?

B-737
08-26-2012, 01:03 PM
when i asked my dealer about this i said "call me if your able to upgrade the software in the mirror".. they never called back. I wondered if the mirror could be sent to homelink and have the upgraded software put in. Those of you with post 2010 builds are prob fine. in my case it was a brand new opener trying to be linked with a 2010 build MY2011... def wasnt happening until i used the homelink repeater they sent me free of charge. but its annoying to use the extra equipment.

cneighbor
08-31-2012, 07:43 PM
I successfully linked my 2012 e92 with a 2007 Overhead Door opener. I had to call the homelink customer service line, but they were great. Very helpful and in about 5 minutes I was good to go.

B-737
08-31-2012, 08:33 PM
Of course ur 2007 opener will work w ur 2012 car. RTFT :rolleyes:

cneighbor
09-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Of course ur 2007 opener will work w ur 2012 car. RTFT :rolleyes:

Easy there tough guy...I was mostly replying to this post...with the emphasis on "ALL."

"My garage door installer told me that a repeater is needed for ALL cars with homelink that were made after 2009."

Just trying to address some erroneous info in the F'ing Thread you started. You're welcome.

And sorry you had to sell the bimmer over this...but try to enjoy the truck.

:thumbup:

B-737
09-01-2012, 07:21 AM
the "truck" and 911 are great man thanks. just trying to keep the information consolidated. theres no shortage of information on how to program HL (without having to call tech support).

cneighbor
09-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Hey, same here. There's a ton of info out there to include videos, but after a week of frustration I called tech support and I'm glad I did. They got me going in minutes and were very friendly too.

My conclusion from this thread, and I am glad you started it, is that there are too many variables to make a difinitive statement that ALL cars built after 2009 require the repeater.

Just trying to help with my experience...that's all. Cheers.

B-737
09-01-2012, 07:48 AM
from the research ive done, and not just on BMW forums... is that a pre 4.0 version of homelink isnt going to work with a Security + 2.0 opener. my 2011 car, produced late 2010, did not have 4.0, and the dealer did not know if the HL could be re-flashed. this seems to have been the case in a Lexus forum as well. just something to watch out for.