PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Feature for 3 series not on 6.

JONNYCHIRO
02-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Just saw a cool feature available on the new 3 series (not sure if it's standard).

Say, you've got your hands full and you want the trunk lid to spring open...
You just sweep your foot under the trunk end and it opens. That's cool!

It's not a big deal but it's not available at all on new 6 (pretty certain but haven't tried.) Anyway it's much more convenient than grabbing the roundel for a half turn w hands full.

I want... :(

southern6er22
02-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Very cool feature. I think it's only on the 3 and 5. I'm sure the LCI 7 next year will have it available. It's a good thing the coupe looks so damn good - we're missing out on a lot of cool stuff.

JONNYCHIRO
02-05-2012, 10:50 AM
It's a good thing the coupe looks so damn good - we're missing out on a lot of cool stuff.
Really? What else ? :(

anythingbuttime
02-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Really? What else ? :(

The Convertible (E64,F12) has always required you to lift the trunk to open it...making the feature moot. Does the trunk on the coupe open under its own power as I have seen on other BMW models?

southern6er22
02-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Nope. Completely manual trunk. If you use the key fob or the foot well button it will pop open, but you otherwise have to use a handle that is integrated into the Roundel (which also houses the handle). Closing requires forcefully pulling it down from handles on the underside of the lid.

The trunk and the soft-close doors are pretty much what I'm disappointed in them leaving out, but the lower motion sensor to open would definitely be nice to have as well (and it would disappear easily into the Carbon Black paint). Soft-close is obviously a minor issue. The other day I was showing my car off to my friend's 12-year-old son who has been dying to see my coupe, and when he looked in the trunk he asked, "where is the button to close is?" My response what an emphatic "THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING!!!" I just found it funny that someone his age who is pretty unfamiliar with this type of car still assumed that there was an automatic trunk.

TopDownInFL
02-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Being the marketer I am, I envision the foot feature being ont he 3 and 5 because BMW is targeting those cars at (among other folks) the stereotypical mom with bags of groceries in her arms, etc. (not trying to be sexist here, but product marketing *does* create personas of target customers and get the products to have features they feel will sell a product).

The 6 isn't targeted at women. It's targeted at mid-life crises guys like us! ;) (and we have no bags of groceries in our hands!).

Having said that, I would like to have had the foot feature in my coupe. And soft close. And a few others.

TopDownInFL
02-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Being the marketer I am, I envision the foot feature being on the 3 and 5 because BMW is targeting those cars at (among other folks) the stereotypical mom with bags of groceries in her arms, etc. (not trying to be sexist here, but product marketing *does* create personas of target customers and get the products to have features they feel will sell a product).

The 6 isn't targeted at women. It's targeted at mid-life crises guys like us! ;) (and we have no bags of groceries in our hands!).

Having said that, I would like to have had the foot feature in my coupe. And soft close. And a few others.

southern6er22
02-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Haha. I completely agree.

dalekressin
02-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Handy feature indeed

JONNYCHIRO
02-05-2012, 07:42 PM
How old qualifies as mid life crisis guy?

southern6er22
02-05-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm only 22, but my friends say I'm pretty much an old man, so I guess this could be my midlife crisis car.

I'm definitely not hauling around the knee nibblers and groceries bags, so I guess I still fit the market despite my comparative infancy.

Itinj6
02-05-2012, 09:29 PM
I know one option for the six that none others have... yet

LEDs bitches :)

southern6er22
02-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Haha. And I'll take those any day over the soft-close and trunk motion sensor.

The X6 is getting them, and I think I read the new 7er LCI is getting a modified version that are smaller than the 6er's. At least they're keeping them high class, er, Series (don't want to step into Merc territory lol).

Thebreadman
02-05-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm 34. Is that mid-life? I'd say no, but maybe that answer alone would put me in the category. Regardless, I've always bought two door coupes and probably always will. Driving trumps practicality for me. (I don't have any kids)

TopDownInFL
02-06-2012, 08:15 AM
I doubt anyone with a 6 is facing a mid-life crises... just enjoying life!