PDA

View Full Version : Bugs with the 6 series....

AMIL
02-09-2012, 07:50 PM
I dont know if its just my car but let me list my current bugs:

1) doors have to be slammed to be shut, i know i dont have soft closing door option but slamming a door?

2) Nav
a) randomly resetting itself like all the presets and everything
b) day mode and night mode works when it feels like it

3) gas pump - every other time i fill up it clicks out early before it fills up then i have to hold it in manually ...

there are more but these are the ones i could think of off the top of my head. anyone else have similar bugs?

leejae76
02-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Agree with 1. Others i dont have any probs with. Hope this helps.

southern6er22
02-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Agree with the doors. I've had two occasions where the door didn't close properly and didn't realize it until I had taken off. Also, the double pull to get out when it is locked is kinda annoying, but not as bad as the improper closure.

As for filling up, no problems here. If anything, this car does a better job with filling completely before clicking off. I used to have to do a good bit of post-click filling, but if I do it now it overflows.

Backseat is useless, but that's not really a problem - just a well finished area for briefcase.

danzzz
02-09-2012, 09:07 PM

1) doors have to be slammed to be shut, i know i dont have soft closing door option but slamming a door?

2) Nav

3) gas pump - every other time i fill up it clicks out early before it fills up then i have to hold it in manually ...

there are more but these are the ones i could think of off the top of my head. anyone else have similar bugs?

I have #1 & 3 as well. The gas pumping issue really annoys me and I think I should probably drop it in for a check. :(

XZLR8
02-09-2012, 09:27 PM
I agree with #1.

Side note: Nice to see another 640i, AMIL. Would love to see more pics of those wheels.

dkreidel
02-09-2012, 11:29 PM
#3 is a known problem and a known fix exists - be prepared to leave your 6 at the dealer as it involves dropping the exhaust and a lot of other stuff to gain access.

roadsta
02-10-2012, 04:52 AM
What ? Your cars do not have soft close? Came standard on mine. :D

Never had the refuelling issue. Maybe just the easygoing Aussie pumps 'mating' well with the beemer.

About the double-pull to open the door - all you need to do is wait for one second with your hand on the handle before you open. (It is like greeting the car...)

r

southern6er22
02-10-2012, 05:52 AM
I've gotten used to delaying my pull to enter with Comfort Access, but I was referring to getting out and pulling once to unlock and a second time to exit. I would've thought it would unlock when you put the car in park. Not a big complaint, just an adjustment.

JONNYCHIRO
02-10-2012, 07:01 AM
Ive experienced one and three. I don't look at them as bugs.

TopDownInFL
02-10-2012, 09:22 AM
What ? Your cars do not have soft close? Came standard on mine. :D

r

Had to rub it in... didn't you!?!?

leejae76
02-10-2012, 10:15 AM
I could be wrong but i think there is an option to auto unlock when parked. As for me, double pull is a habit over past 3 bmws so didnt consider as bugs

danzzz
02-10-2012, 11:11 AM
#3 is a known problem and a known fix exists - be prepared to leave your 6 at the dealer as it involves dropping the exhaust and a lot of other stuff to gain access.

I did some searches in forums and a few people suggested rotating the nozel about 90 degrees (from 6:00 to 9:00), and it should fix the problem. I'll give it a shot tonight as I really don't wanna get the whole gas tank repalced for a new car.

Socal1979
02-10-2012, 12:34 PM
No. 3 occurs occassionally. It's very annoying.

Make sure your car has the latest software release.

When locking/unlocking my 2012 650ic, the car would not beep or flash the lights to show it was locked/unlocked. It was working when I first got the car but stopped working about a month ago. I even triple checked enabling both features in the menu settings, but it still did not work.

The dealer told me it needed the latest software. It now works after the update.

roadsta
02-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Had to rub it in... didn't you!?!?

Just softly.

r

petriej
02-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Agree with the doors. I've had two occasions where the door didn't close properly and didn't realize it until I had taken off. Also, the double pull to get out when it is locked is kinda annoying, but not as bad as the improper closure.

As for filling up, no problems here. If anything, this car does a better job with filling completely before clicking off. I used to have to do a good bit of post-click filling, but if I do it now it overflows.

Backseat is useless, but that's not really a problem - just a well finished area for briefcase.

This is how BMWs have been for quite a while. My E36 does this. It's funny when other people get in my car and don't understand it. Usually I unlock it with the unlock button before they try so they don't get confused but sometimes people are... eager... to leave my vehicle once it has come to a complete stop! :rofl:

Thebreadman
02-11-2012, 12:08 AM
I don't have a problem with the force needed to close the doors, but I do find it very annoying to have to pull the handle twice from the inside to get out of the car. And passengers are confused.

An option to auto-unlock when parked would be very welcome. I do not believe this is available currently. If so, please show where the setting is.

southern6er22
02-11-2012, 06:29 AM
+1

Pulling twice is annoying, and they can't engineer a decent cup holder, but the way it drives, the sound of the exhaust, and the cocoon of Nappa leather more than make up for it.

TopDownInFL
02-11-2012, 07:10 AM
+1

Pulling twice is annoying,

It's a safety feature, done by design. It;s done that way so when in a situation where the electronics fail, you can unlock and open the door. (there was a story a few years back of a diplomat had his 7 customized without the double pull, requiring an electronic unlock and he was stuck in his car for hours). Additionally, I can also see it being done so that someone doesn't inadvertently open the door on accident should they grab that handle to perhaps adjust themselves in the seat or something.

Thebreadman
02-11-2012, 07:15 AM
I get that it's a safety thing and that is fine. Would it not hurt to provide the electronic unlock as an option for the driver to configure should he/she want to? Even if configured and the electronics fail, then the double pull (which would be the default) would be required and would still let the passengers out.

As to the napa seats, I have never been in a car with as good of seats as in this car! They are stunning in their luxurious appointment and comfort.

svp66
02-11-2012, 08:11 AM
I thought I had the "slam door" issue, then my wife closed the door gently couple times. I thought it did not close (by the sound it made), but then looking from outside evrything was flush.... Maybe it is just the perception that the doors are not closing well without a big slam....

XZLR8
02-11-2012, 09:15 AM
I don't have a problem with the force needed to close the doors, but I do find it very annoying to have to pull the handle twice from the inside to get out of the car. And passengers are confused.

An option to auto-unlock when parked would be very welcome. I do not believe this is available currently. If so, please show where the setting is.
As a matter of routine, when I have passengers with me, I hit the unlock button on the center dash immediately after powering down the car, so they only have to pull the handle once.

Thebreadman
02-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Agreed. I do the same thing. If fact, I always hit the unlock button before trying to open the door, but I hate this routine. Just about every other car opens the door on the first pull, BMW should as well. Or I'm fine with the way it is by default, but give me the option to change it.

unlaidenswallow
02-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Agreed. I do the same thing. If fact, I always hit the unlock button before trying to open the door, but I hate this routine. Just about every other car opens the door on the first pull, BMW should as well. Or I'm fine with the way it is by default, but give me the option to change it.

Maybe this is obvious to everyone, but I just don't have the car set to automatically lock when driving - so no double pull required to exit.

Itinj6
02-11-2012, 05:12 PM
+1

Pulling twice is annoying, and they can't engineer a decent cup holder, but the way it drives, the sound of the exhaust, and the cocoon of Nappa leather more than make up for it.

I love the cup holders on the F12/13 much better than the X6 at least. The X6 has the little pinchers on the sides of the cup holders and pops up my dip bottle a lot lol. Just waiting for one day when I get spit all over the place in the X6 lol.

This thread reminds me of a joke:

Did you guys hear about the pollack who locked his keys in the car? It took him nearly a week to get his family out.

It's cool, i'm half Polish, but only my better half :)

Thebreadman
02-11-2012, 05:55 PM
What is everyone's problem with the cup holders? I have a manual and only one cup holder, but I have no problem with that one. Haha. Is mine different?

southern6er22
02-11-2012, 06:01 PM
The cupholders on the automatic are two that are pretty large but have no supportive elements to hold things steady. Even a gentle turn causes bottles, small cans, etc. to tilt.

AMIL
02-12-2012, 12:27 AM
The cupholders on the automatic are two that are pretty large but have no supportive elements to hold things steady. Even a gentle turn causes bottles, small cans, etc. to tilt.

yeah i had coffee spilled in mine.

I'm gonna get my car checked for the other items i guess. thanks for the responses.

dkreidel
02-12-2012, 09:27 AM
What is everyone's problem with the cup holders? I have a manual and only one cup holder, but I have no problem with that one. Haha. Is mine different?

Yep, on our manuals we have one upholder in the console near the drive controller that works really well, and a second inside the rear center console that requires both flip-up lids be open - worthless in my opinion.

dk

Thebreadman
02-12-2012, 09:31 AM
http://db.tt/zRXbhNav

http://db.tt/Ewjyy1BZ

http://db.tt/bxZbG5a3

Here are three pics I took ok the cup holder in the Manual 650. I don't have any problems with it. Post some of the auto for comparison.

southern6er22
02-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Yours looks a little deeper. The problem with the auto is that it is shallow and doesn't have any supports for different sized containers. I'd be tempted to put a can cozy in there if it didn't look so damn redneck.

Itinj6
02-12-2012, 01:57 PM
The auto cup holders are shallow indeed, but I never had a spillage. The bottle may tilt a bit in a tight turn but it is wide enough to contain a super big gulp lol. I don't have problems with it but that's just my experience.

With regards to the manual cup holder, does it get in the way of shifting? I mean do you have to have your arm off the armrest, up and over the bottle?

Thebreadman
02-12-2012, 01:59 PM
No, it is over to the right far enough that it does not get in the way.

southern6er22
02-12-2012, 03:41 PM
I have grabbed for my shift lever several times expecting a water bottle. Not a complaint, just an adjustment to a new car.

dkreidel
02-12-2012, 04:00 PM
With regards to the manual cup holder, does it get in the way of shifting? I mean do you have to have your arm off the armrest, up and over the bottle?

A tall cup in the MT cup holder does get in the way of the iDrive controller though. The real cup holder issue on the MT cars is there is (practically) only one - the passenger is SOL.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff31/dkreidel/IMG_1290.jpg

dk

Itinj6
02-12-2012, 04:10 PM
That wouldn't work too well for me. My fiancée is a Starbucks junkie and I need a slot for my dip spit bottle lol. I would love a manual but my fiancée doesn't know how to drive it so I had to go with auto. Sometimes I need to switch with her X6 so I can get to the hockey rink... With my goalie gear which wouldn't fit in the 650.

thom.one.two
02-12-2012, 07:15 PM
About three times now, I have put my car in reverse and the trunk opens. I know it is the part that flips the rondell, but I don't want to take it in for that part until I get to the scheduled service date.

I don't have any of the issues listed above. I have had BMW's for years, and they have all taken force to close the doors (except the M5, which had soft close doors) and have all had the double lock feature.

Twice, while sitting at a red light, I felt the idle drop and the car shake/change sound. I'm scared if they check it out they will change the fuel mixure and have a negative affect on the exhause sound.

svp66
02-14-2012, 09:58 PM
About three times now, I have put my car in reverse and the trunk opens. I know it is the part that flips the rondell, but I don't want to take it in for that part until I get to the scheduled service date.

I don't have any of the issues listed above. I have had BMW's for years, and they have all taken force to close the doors (except the M5, which had soft close doors) and have all had the double lock feature.

Twice, while sitting at a red light, I felt the idle drop and the car shake/change sound. I'm scared if they check it out they will change the fuel mixure and have a negative affect on the exhause sound.

Fuel pump threatening to brake down? I had mine do that on second day at ~150mi. Changed same day by the dealer, 2.200 miles with no problem... WOuld get it checked

southern6er22
02-14-2012, 11:09 PM
Here are the cup holders on the automatic for comparison.

thom.one.two
02-14-2012, 11:14 PM
:)

Wait...Why are you guys drinking in your 6 anyway? LOL. No food or drink allowed in mine.

Itinj6
02-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Here are the cup holders on the automatic for comparison.

They should've put a key fob holder in between the cup holders like the F10 has. Plenty room for one.

southern6er22
02-14-2012, 11:28 PM
It would've been nice if they put some kind of divider in that huge console. Everything likes to get scrambled up. I'd almost be willing to give up the orange LEDs inside of the armrest to get some dividers... almost. Coolness trumps OCD this time.

jettie1767
02-15-2012, 07:02 AM
yeah i had coffee spilled in mine.

I'm gonna get my car checked for the other items i guess. thanks for the responses.

Talking about spilled coffee. I spilled almost half of a medium cup of Dunkin into the AC controls two weeks ago trying to get it into those darn cupholders! Yikes! Took me awhile to wipe everything down and coffee was coming out of the buttons.

I'm sure glad everything is still working and the smell of coffee is gone....

southern6er22
02-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Would it be that hard for them to design a decent cup holder? Maybe they could work a deal with GM - American designer teaches BMW how to make a cup holder, and BMW teaches the Americans how to go around a corner.

JONNYCHIRO
02-15-2012, 08:27 AM
I got no prob w the cup holder. But then all I've ever put in there was my headphone case and bottled water w cap on it.

:)

thom.one.two
02-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Lol. Jonny. You and I have the same OCD with car cleaning, I can tell.

JONNYCHIRO
02-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Lol. Jonny. You and I have the same OCD with car cleaning, I can tell.

Amen sir! I can't think straight if my **** is poopy. I keep it right and tight and under wraps. I mean ppl in my life kno I like it like I like it. But they also know I'm cool. I don't freak out etc. No one digs a drag... :(

I'm not a bitch or a killjoy to be round.
Not at all. (says I) :)

But it feels good to look great! ;)

Edit. Ha ha B word allowance!!!!!

thom.one.two
02-15-2012, 12:13 PM
My 18 year old daughter's Hummer is a freaking disaster. You have to move crap out of the way to sit in there. I don't know where she gets that. My oldest son't FJ Cruiser is like my car. Don't even think about gum chewing in his ride. The Panamera S and the 650 are always spotless. The poor Navigator has been the family bus for going on 8 years in March. That thing gets treated like crap and has been a work horse for everything from long hauls full of kids to long hauls full of garbage. 110,000 miles later, there has yet to be a reason to lift the hood. If it dies today, or if I find the ass dragging from bad air bags like very other old Lincoln out there, she has been worth every penny.

JONNYCHIRO
02-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Talking about spilled coffee. I spilled almost half of a medium cup of Dunkin into the AC controls two weeks ago trying to get it into those darn cupholders! Yikes! Took me awhile to wipe everything down and coffee was coming out of the buttons.

I'm sure glad everything is still working and the smell of coffee is gone....

Are you serious Jettie????!
Half a cup o' Dunkin spilled down A/C knobbers??!! :(:(:(:)::(
Somebody hold me. :(:(:(

You must PM itinj to find out how he busted up his steering to get a trade assist= new vehicle. Hahaha:):);):$:)

I'm a punk. I know. :).

Itinj6
02-15-2012, 07:08 PM
Well ya see, wut had happened wuz...

thom.one.two
02-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Lmfao

jettie1767
02-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Are you serious Jettie????!
Half a cup o' Dunkin spilled down A/C knobbers??!! :(:(:(:)::(
Somebody hold me. :(:(:(

You must PM itinj to find out how he busted up his steering to get a trade assist= new vehicle. Hahaha:):);):$:)

I'm a punk. I know. :).

Yep, Jonny.... I almost had a heart attack. When I pulled out of the lot after wiping everything down, coffee started sipping thru the gap where the AC panel meets the cup holders!

Needless to say, I had to spend a good hour or two wiping everything down with damp paper towels and also running tissue in between the buttons to dry everything up.

Good thing everything still works!

JONNYCHIRO
02-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Cheers to that!

Roger Yeh
02-17-2012, 10:52 AM

2) Nav

I am having #3 since the delivery from December/2011(in Shell station). I read another thread that there is a fix for it but it takes a substantial effort to get to where the problem is and you'll have to leave the car in the dealer for 2 days. I am going to try to rotate the gas nozzle 45 degrees during the refueling or try another gas station to see if the issue persists.

svp66
02-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Yep, Jonny.... I almost had a heart attack. When I pulled out of the lot after wiping everything down, coffee started sipping thru the gap where the AC panel meets the cup holders!

Needless to say, I had to spend a good hour or two wiping everything down with damp paper towels and also running tissue in between the buttons to dry everything up.

Maybe you should try to open up the cover and clean it well. I had a spill on my SLK, after that some of the contacts tended to remain stuck once you push them in (the heated seats and airscarf). You definitely do not want to have your posterior torched by a stuck seat heater, I can barely support it in level 1 of 3.

jettie1767
02-18-2012, 06:23 AM
Maybe you should try to open up the cover and clean it well. I had a spill on my SLK, after that some of the contacts tended to remain stuck once you push them in (the heated seats and airscarf). You definitely do not want to have your posterior torched by a stuck seat heater, I can barely support it in level 1 of 3.

I was able to pry open the cover right below the AC controls. The AUTO knob was sticky a day after but it's fine now. All the rest seem fine.

unlaidenswallow
02-18-2012, 09:08 PM
+1 on the gas shut off. I've filled up twice since getting the car and big problems both times (shut off probably 10 times each fill).

This is an even bigger problem in NJ because of our idiotic law that says we can't pump our own gas. Lucky if you can get an attendant to make his way over and start the gas within 3 minutes of pulling in - try getting him to stand there and pump the gas when it keeps shutting off...

dkreidel - I know you said earlier your dealer fixed this by replacing the charcoal canister with the non-working valve. Anyone else had the same fix? Or found any other solution? The last time I got out and we turned the nozzle 45 degrees and then even upside down but still had the same problems.

thom.one.two
02-18-2012, 09:24 PM
My trunk is opening more often when the car is put in reverse. So far that, along with the cradle, are the only issues that I have had.

Roger Yeh
02-20-2012, 08:05 AM
My trunk is opening more often when the car is put in reverse. So far that, along with the cradle, are the only issues that I have had.
If you don't access your trunk that often, try to turn on the trunk lock inside your arm rest. Maybe it will help. :dunno:

dkreidel
02-20-2012, 09:26 AM
+1 on the gas shut off. I've filled up twice since getting the car and big problems both times (shut off probably 10 times each fill).

dkreidel - I know you said earlier your dealer fixed this by replacing the charcoal canister with the non-working valve. Anyone else had the same fix? Or found any other solution? The last time I got out and we turned the nozzle 45 degrees and then even upside down but still had the same problems.

The dealer had another new 650 in their service bays having the charcoal canister replaced, so there is some evidence that BMW received a bad lot of canisters/valves from their supplier. Mine works perfectly now but am beginning to have some weird issues with the rear quarter windows.

dk

thom.one.two
02-20-2012, 11:59 AM
That's a good idea. Will do that until time for service.

JONNYCHIRO
02-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Had the shut off pump nonsense fueling up today. First time for me.

southern6er22
02-20-2012, 12:32 PM
If anything, I've noticed that mine fills completely before clicking, and I overflow if I try to go too far beyond the click. This is a weird issue...

svp66
02-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Probably because the car is tilting up the lock to use the back-up camera. Must be an easy fix for the dealer.

JONNYCHIRO
02-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Probably because the car is tilting up the lock to use the back-up camera. Must be an easy fix for the dealer.

How come you don't wanna take it in?

thom.one.two
02-20-2012, 06:48 PM
I've had a bunch of Bimmers. There are always little things that need to be fixed. Every time I've gone in for each individual thing I've gotten frustrated with the car and experience. If it can wait it goes on a list to be done while I'm outta town.

namja007
02-22-2012, 10:31 PM
I have a strange problem and never had this problem with any car. Going to dealer soon.

Driver side door. Open the door than when I close the door the latch somehow is in the lock position and when I close the door ....the door doesn't close because the closed latch hits the hinge. It happened a couple times and now I'm super careful to check before closing the door. It's strange the window goes down slightly when you open the door and before closing. It's back in lock position and the window is up. But i closed without know a couple time and thump! and door doesn't close

I just have to pull the handle a couple times to reengage the door latch is open and the window goes back down slightly so the door can close.

This is my 3rd bmw and my 2nd 650i vert. Never seen this happen and I think something with the latch is defective .

Anyone see this problem. Need to see dealer soon. thanks

Itinj6
02-22-2012, 10:40 PM
I have a strange problem and never had this problem with any car. Going to dealer soon.

Driver side door. Open the door than when I close the door the latch somehow is in the lock position and when I close the door ....the door doesn't close because the closed latch hits the hinge. It happened a couple times and now I'm super careful to check before closing the door. It's strange the window goes down slightly when you open the door and before closing. It's back in lock position and the window is up. But i closed without know a couple time and thump! and door doesn't close

I just have to pull the handle a couple times to reengage the door latch is open and the window goes back down slightly so the door can close.

This is my 3rd bmw and my 2nd 650i vert. Never seen this happen and I think something with the latch is defective .

Anyone see this problem. Need to see dealer soon. thanks

I seen this before. Multiple times on my X6 and on the 328Xi loaner they gave me. I dont recall this happening on my 650.

JONNYCHIRO
02-23-2012, 05:52 AM
I've had that happen w the door a few times on two past Bimmers. Not on this one (2 months of owning only.)

It was just a couple times over many years.

svp66
02-23-2012, 07:05 AM
Nothing wrong in terms of how it works, but why is the key fob so much bigger than the one I had for my 335? I had the same memory / keyless entry functions in a smaller package. Did not have to change the battery in 3 years.

namja007
02-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the replies. So did you guys do anything with the door or just left it? Did the dealer fix anything? Thanks

Itinj6
02-24-2012, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the replies. So did you guys do anything with the door or just left it? Did the dealer fix anything? Thanks

It only happened a few times and it was very far and few between. I just left it alone.

JONNYCHIRO
02-24-2012, 06:06 PM
it only happened a few times and it was very far and few between. I just left it alone.

+1

Roger Yeh
02-27-2012, 08:05 AM
The dealer had another new 650 in their service bays having the charcoal canister replaced, so there is some evidence that BMW received a bad lot of canisters/valves from their supplier. Mine works perfectly now but am beginning to have some weird issues with the rear quarter windows.

dk

I tried another gas station last weekend to see if this issue persist - and this time it refueled w/o interruption(the tank at the time of refueling was almost empty). I suggest try out different gas station before taking your car to the dealer. Me personally try to avoid taking my car to the dealer as much possible.

JONNYCHIRO
02-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Yeah. I only have the prob at a small # of fuel stations.

Once irritated and not wanting to deal w the click off every 3 sec-- I drove across the street and filled up no problem.

JONNYCHIRO
03-04-2012, 02:43 PM
This click off pump nonsense is becoming a PITA.

Itinj6
03-04-2012, 03:08 PM
This click off pump nonsense is becoming a PITA.

Just got it for the first time the other day. The gas attendant looked pretty irritated, as I sat inside the residually heated car, SMH

unlaidenswallow
03-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Got mine fixed last week. It was the charcoal canister (or charcoal filter or carbon canister - receipt reference all three names) and said it had an "internal blockage" - same as what dkreidel said his dealer in CA found. Only a couple hours of work though, and they gave me a free full tank of gas.

I might have messed around with it longer than the 2 fills at 2 different gas stations that I've tried, but being in NJ and unable to pump your own gas, this problem is more than just an annoyance. The attendants aren't willing to stand there and babysit...

Sounds like the charcoal canister is supposed to absorb the gas fumes which are then vented / burned off. If it's not working properly then the nozzle will react like the tank is full.

JONNYCHIRO
03-04-2012, 07:06 PM
I'll bring it in. Thank you.

mtuncy
03-09-2012, 10:31 AM

here is the solution for the large cup holders on the automatic. I was complaining about that and the dealer gave me a set of these for free, it fits in nicely.

part # 51 16 9 239 365

southern6er22
03-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Cool. I'll have to find some. Thanks!

Itinj6
03-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Funny, I just saw those cup holder inserts on eBay earlier today. I was going to post my find when i had the time (right now lol), but you beat me to it.

southern6er22
03-09-2012, 08:02 PM
$17.30 each?!?!?!?! Expensive way to hold a Coke lol.

Itinj6
03-09-2012, 08:12 PM
$17.30 each?!?!?!?! Expensive way to hold a Coke lol.

LOL, yes it is, but then again...

So is getting a 2012 650i for transportation

;) ;) ;)

southern6er22
03-09-2012, 08:16 PM
here is the solution for the large cup holders on the automatic. I was complaining about that and the dealer gave me a set of these for free, it fits in nicely.

part # 51 16 9 239 365

Give us a review after giving 'em a test drive lol. ARS, RWD v. xDrive, exhaust... psssh... who cares about these things. We are Americans (most of us, no offense to the others :rofl:), and cup holders are important, damn it!

southern6er22
03-09-2012, 09:38 PM
I disagree. I think it's a bargain as its my contribution to the roads. Makes them look and sound better. Paying $3.91 per gallon and 10.4 mpg is just another small price to pay as well. It's been a little chilly lately, so the I welcome the global warmth :)

thom.one.two
03-10-2012, 01:08 AM
I disagree. I think it's a bargain as its my contribution to the roads. Makes them look and sound better. Paying $3.91 per gallon and 10.4 mpg is just another small price to pay as well. It's been a little chilly lately, so the I welcome the global warmth :)

Hey, I'm up to 15.4 MPG! I keep it in Sport and my freeway runs are no longer than 3 miles in each direction. I now have 2,200 miles and I'm happy to be past the 10.4 MPG days.

Filled up my Panamera today...$89.00. Jeez.

southern6er22
03-10-2012, 07:15 AM
It's amazing the mpg I get if I engage cruise control and leave it in Comfort. I was tempted to try doing that exclusively on a tank just to see what I could get... that lasted as long as it took me to pull out of the gas station. I got bored and missed the exhaust.

My6501
03-10-2012, 12:06 PM
I bought my 2012 650ic in July. It went into the shop for:
Remote comfort access worked when it felt like it.
Beeped when locked/unlocked then stopped all together.
Bluetooth dropped calls habitually.
Backup camera still operating while driving forward. (That was some James Bond type of gizmo I was told...)
iDrive would reset every time I got back into the car.
Gas pump shut off before filling.
Gas cover lid only opens when I do the little "Please open for me" dance at the pump. (I actually have to lock and unlock the car several times for the lid to release.)
Gas cover lid will close after the same dance. (Lock/unlock for it to close.)
And...during a very long drive yesterday and after 6000 miles of ownership, iDrive alerts me that I am to stop immediately and add 1 quart of oil.

The car has been in the shop 4 times for all problems but for the latest regarding oil. I had to wait for BMW Germany to send the software fix for more than a month before these issues could be resolved...so why am I still dancing around in parking lots and at gas pumps trying to get my car to open for me? I guess because I work and don't have time to keep running it back to the dealer.

I am very weary and frustrated with this car.

Itinj6
03-10-2012, 01:02 PM
I bought my 2012 650ic in July. It went into the shop for:
Remote comfort access worked when it felt like it.
Beeped when locked/unlocked then stopped all together.
Bluetooth dropped calls habitually.
Backup camera still operating while driving forward. (That was some James Bond type of gizmo I was told...)
iDrive would reset every time I got back into the car.
Gas pump shut off before filling.
Gas cover lid only opens when I do the little "Please open for me" dance at the pump. (I actually have to lock and unlock the car several times for the lid to release.)
Gas cover lid will close after the same dance. (Lock/unlock for it to close.)
And...during a very long drive yesterday and after 6000 miles of ownership, iDrive alerts me that I am to stop immediately and add 1 quart of oil.

The car has been in the shop 4 times for all problems but for the latest regarding oil. I had to wait for BMW Germany to send the software fix for more than a month before these issues could be resolved...so why am I still dancing around in parking lots and at gas pumps trying to get my car to open for me? I guess because I work and don't have time to keep running it back to the dealer.

I am very weary and frustrated with this car.

Wow, that's a lot of problems.

Just one question about the reverse camera issue. Does it automatically shut off after, say 5 seconds, or do you have to manually shut it off every time? Mine stays on when i put it in Drive and only after a few seconds of driving forward does it shut off. I presume this is normal as my past four BMWs operated this way.

JONNYCHIRO
03-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Sorry to hear about all the headache.

The charcoal filter being replaced should put an end to the pump switching off before fill up (I hear.)

If your answer to Intinj is yes--that's completely normal.

What phone are you pairing w BT?

Basically the rest of it sounds like it can be grouped together under a remote comfort access issue. Which hopefully is just a software fix or maybe a sensor and fob problem dunno.

Oh and the oil msg: that's not really a problem. Big engine + turbos=oil burners. Normal @6K mi.

Hope they get you sorted out and quickly able to enjoy the Bitchin ride you've got!!!

Itinj6
03-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Agree with the oil thing that Jonny said. My X6's (same engine) asks (asked) for oil a lot. My 650 only has 1800 miles so I can't say anything about that yet. I dont think it's much of a problem.

JONNYCHIRO
03-10-2012, 03:35 PM
My turn to bitch.

My driver's side door is pissing me off. Doesn't close right--often enough to be irritating.

It ain't me. I've been closing doors successful like for years. It's the door= fail.

Plus there's a design flaw. I get the latch of the seat belt wedged between the door and seat a lot. I gotta open the door to free **** up

Thank you. I'm done.

Itinj6
03-10-2012, 03:41 PM
My turn to bitch.

My driver's side door is pissing me off. Doesn't close right--often enough to be irritating.

It ain't me. I've been closing doors successful like for years. It's the door= fail .

User error for sure. ;)

I kid I kid... Can you elaborate on that?

JONNYCHIRO
03-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Yea the door sucks ass.

Itinj6
03-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Yea the door sucks ass.

Wow, sounds worse than I thought

JONNYCHIRO
03-10-2012, 06:55 PM
1. Open door.
2. Get In
3. Close door.
4. Not yet buckled seat belt gets caught/wedged between side of seat and door.

My6501
03-10-2012, 07:32 PM
The backup camera when working properly closes after a few moments once in drive. When it's not working properly it can stay on for miles. I once tried to force it closed but it mocked me, so I left it open. Fascinating to watch the front and back road at the same time. (And they say texting is dangerous.) I'm pairing the bluetooth with several different devices. All work for a short period of time then the calls drop again. A 5 minute call turns into a 20 minute effort in futility.

JONNYCHIRO
03-10-2012, 09:11 PM
They gotta fix that **** for you.

lsleelee
03-11-2012, 05:06 PM
You guys let people have liquids and open containers in your BMWs?! Are you crazy? Trust no one!

southern6er22
03-11-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm the only one who consumes anything in my car, and I limit it to water and Starbucks. I'm very careful to place my finger over the hole in the coffee lid to prevent any sloshing as I fly around corners. I carefully screen my passengers: i.e. too fat (don't want to deform the seats), too tall with lots of hair (gotta protect the Alcantara headliner), level of clumsiness, fingernail length (scratch my Nappa and you get to walk home), and clothing (i.e. no pants with snaps, buttons, etc.). Yeah, I'm a bit of an @ss, but these things are important.

southern6er22
03-14-2012, 09:31 PM

I thought of this today...

Twice today when I was getting in my car I sat down and looked in the rear view mirror and saw that my trunk popped open. Of course, my first thought was, "oh God, gonna have to bring it in." Then I realized that it was operator error and I'm a complete moron... I used to have the leather case around my key fob, but I took it off last night because it made my key ring too bulky. Today I was wearing scrubs for work and the only pocket I have is the butt pocket, so that's where my keys and my wallet go. Every time I got in the car I was sitting on the key fob putting pressure on the trunk release button. Thus, mysterious trunk opening.

I'm really glad I was able to come to this conclusion before looking like a complete idiot at the dealership lol.

JONNYCHIRO
03-26-2012, 08:38 PM
My gas pump click off PITA seems to have magically gone away....:)

thom.one.two
03-26-2012, 10:03 PM
I wish that was my issue. I always put my keys in my door and never put them in my pocket. Mine is when I crank it...and it did it again a few days ago.

JONNYCHIRO
03-27-2012, 05:54 AM
I wish that was my issue. I always put my keys in my door and never put them in my pocket. Mine is when I crank it...and it did it again a few days ago.

Your remote access isn't working?

Thom, you gotta bring it in!

southern6er22
04-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Today while filling up I had the early shut off issue, and it happened to me once before (but forgot to mention it). Both times was at the same station using the same pump. It's a bit of a pain, but not as much as having to leave my car for a day or two. I'm going to try a different pump next time. I've filled up at this station before without any problems. Idk. Hopefully I won't have to change stations. I paid $3.879 for Premium Chevron at this one, and most others are about $4.039 right now.

Roger Yeh
04-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Today while filling up I had the early shut off issue, and it happened to me once before (but forgot to mention it). Both times was at the same station using the same pump. It's a bit of a pain, but not as much as having to leave my car for a day or two. I'm going to try a different pump next time. I've filled up at this station before without any problems. Idk. Hopefully I won't have to change stations. I paid $3.879 for Premium Chevron at this one, and most others are about $4.039 right now.
I had to change to another gas station instead of the usual one to avoid the shut off issue. One thing I notice is the one I use now pump a lot slower than the my one that gave me this issue. Eventually I will bring the car to dealer but if it takes more than 2 days to have it fix then I am ok w/ the other station for now.

southern6er22
04-30-2012, 02:38 PM
It's definitely something easier to deal with than to jump to immediate action. There are far worse problems to have. Until then, I'll just keep trying different pumps until I find one that cooperates.

unlaidenswallow
04-30-2012, 03:13 PM
And just so you know, even "the fix" doesn't necessarily eliminate the problem. I had major shut off problems each of the 3 times I filled up the car (different stations) after I got it. Brought it in and they replaced the carbon filter (couple hours - not 2 days...) but I still have the problem maybe half the time I fill up. Turning the nozzle upside down usually takes care of it.

southern6er22
04-30-2012, 03:15 PM
And just so you know, even "the fix" doesn't necessarily eliminate the problem. I had major shut off problems each of the 3 times I filled up the car (different stations) after I got it. Brought it in and they replaced the carbon filter (couple hours - not 2 days...) but I still have the problem maybe half the time I fill up. Turning the nozzle upside down usually takes care of it.

Thanks for the info. If it wasn't a perfect fix, then I probably won't bother with it unless I bring it in for something else and they can do it all at the same time. It is no more inconvenient than having to manually close the trunk :rofl: