PDA

View Full Version : I need help.

boredtodeath2
02-11-2012, 03:40 AM
Hi im trying to buy my first 6 series. its a 2007 m6. i checked its carfax and i found it labeled as a lemon. it was labeled as a lemon because when the car was driven up to 56 miles the transmission broke down. he brought it back to BMW and they changed it to a brand new one. my question is do you guys think its worth it for me to buy even though its named a lemon just for this?
any a replies would be greatly appreciated

EDIT:
I got another question for you guys, i dropped the lemon and i found another deal. Its the same car ( 07 m6) its clean only like 15000 miles it is a cpo but its car fax says that it had one accident in the left rear is this one worth it? its being sold by a bmw dealership.
sorry for the double post

Leslierc
02-11-2012, 04:46 AM
Hmm... It might be worth doing if the price is right, the transmission was the reason for the car being lemmoned and it was replaced by BMW, and you're able to purchase an extended warranty for the car.

TopDownInFL
02-11-2012, 06:17 AM
What Leslie said - warranty is key, but if everything was replaced and is working, it's one less thing you'd have issues with.

svp66
02-11-2012, 07:15 AM
Ask the seller to show you all the paperwork regarding the car. There is a good possibility that the lemon issues are documented. Do not take the word of a salesperson only, unless it's your mom (and even then....)

leejae76
02-11-2012, 12:33 PM
You're gonna have hard time selling it later.

JONNYCHIRO
02-11-2012, 02:10 PM
My .02 I'd walk unless you couldn't do a deal w/o the incentive being offered for it's lemony history. While I get that the reason she was branded has been removed from the equation it's still going to follow the vehicle if you choose to sell it and you'll have to pass the savings on to the new buyer too (so what's gained?)

\\\

boredtodeath2
02-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys it helped get some things straight. Its clean and has 10,000 miles not to mention its around 8 grand cheaper then it normally would be ( as reffered to kbb ). Still not sure about it though have double thoughts. Im planning on selling it later if i do buy it so that made me lean more to dropping the offer. Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated and thanks again

thom.one.two
02-13-2012, 09:40 PM
I don't believe it. BMW's have sealed transmissions. That means BMW does not replace parts in their transmissions. The unit comes out, and a new unit goes in. My 2004 coupe had less than 300 miles on it, and the transmission would not go into reverse. They said that they could not open it up, so they ordered a new transmission and replaced it (only to find that there was a bolt not taken out at the SC port and the transmission was good afterall).

Lemon does not mean one repair. Look up "Lemon Law". For a car to be labeled a lemon, it is far more than one transmission repair.

JONNYCHIRO
02-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Thom raises a very good point. More than one actually.

If you do go forward you'd be nuts to not have the vehicle run through every diagnostic available.

If you're still into the idea of this reformed lemon I also suggest you Low Ball him. Make a stupid low offer.

I'd rather buy a salvaged title than a lemon one.

leejae76
02-14-2012, 05:51 PM
I agree. Dont get it.

Plus it's '07 M6. Warranty is out and repairs are avg of $3000 - $5000.

(M6 transmission is smg and in avg will break down every 50 - 60k compared to regular 6)

Redesign and updated versions - and cosidered reliable are '08 and up.

Consider getting '08 CPO? (non-M)
It'll be cheaper and has warranty. 8000 savings for lemon seems very little.

You'll def loose money when selling. (more than 8,000)

I had 05, 09 and 12. My .02 from personal experience.

ProRail
02-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys it helped get some things straight. Its clean and has 10,000 miles not to mention its around 8 grand cheaper then it normally would be ( as reffered to kbb ). Still not sure about it though have double thoughts. Im planning on selling it later if i do buy it so that made me lean more to dropping the offer. Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated and thanks again

Sounds okay if you're gonna drive it, but not if you're gonna sell it. Why not drive it? Should be a great ride.

boredtodeath2
02-18-2012, 07:11 AM
I got another question for you guys, i dropped the lemon and i found another deal. Its the same car ( 07 m6) its clean only like 15000 miles it is a cpo but its car fax says that it had one accident in the left rear is this one worth it?

thom.one.two
02-18-2012, 08:21 PM
I don't remember if a car can be certified beyond 5 years. I know that it can be taken to 100,000 miles, but the age may catch you before miles. Check into that. I thought it was 5 years or 100,000 miles. Either way, I'm not nearly as worried about a repaired car as I am a lemon. My '05 Navigator has been wrecked about 5 times with 4 kids cutting their teeth on it, yet it is the most dependable car we have at our house.

The year concerns me more than the wreck. The '08 model changed, with more significant changes on the inside than the outside. If it's a good deal and you can swing it, go for it. I would research a bunch. Check Carmax to see if they have any similar cars, just so you can compare price. Asking price and what cars actually sell for in a down economy are two differnt things. The V10, whereas I love it, can be a burden for resale.

But if we are talking left rear wreck only, so problem here as long as BMW will certify it.

boredtodeath2
02-18-2012, 10:45 PM
the coverage is for 6 years and 100,000 miles. I've had a really bad experience with an accidented car so trying to stay as far away as possible. the only differences i found b/w the 07/08 was the turning signal and head rest which i dont think are big differences ( Please inform me if im mistaken or missing anything) i also found it to be a really good deal and its still a cpo with really low milage. When the warranty ends can i renew it as a cpo or..? im hoping to be a new member of the BMW group thats why i need to ask all the questions i can.