PDA

View Full Version : How to Retrofit a Bluetooth TCU to your car

Pages : [1] 2 3

AceFX
02-11-2012, 07:41 PM
cleaning topic & only leaving required info

JimmyW
02-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Nice work! However, I wonder what the benefits of this system are versus CPT8000 or CPT9000?

crombo97
02-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Hey Ace this is great work.
I am on the hunt now for a TCU :)
Do you have a PN for the update TCU??

PAPER
02-11-2012, 08:13 PM
:eek:

PAPER
02-12-2012, 04:45 AM
:drink:

I sent the file , you should have mail :D
:beerchug:

AceFX
02-12-2012, 04:59 AM
Got it....many thanks :drink:

AceFX
02-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Hey PAPER, does your car

PAPER
02-13-2012, 06:02 PM

AceFX
02-13-2012, 07:46 PM
small

AceFX
02-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Ok

PAPER
02-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Bimmer App

PAPER
02-13-2012, 08:03 PM

PAPER
02-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Yes my car does have them .

PAPER
02-14-2012, 08:12 AM

Rostman
02-15-2012, 11:40 AM
:drive:

stuartjohn24
02-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Im looking

politby
02-15-2012, 11:54 AM
:confused:

Rostman
02-15-2012, 12:00 PM
:)

AceFX
02-16-2012, 06:36 AM

AceFX
02-16-2012, 06:46 AM

AceFX
02-16-2012, 06:59 AM

AceFX
02-16-2012, 07:01 AM

Rostman
02-16-2012, 09:31 AM

Rostman
02-16-2012, 09:37 AM

stuartjohn24
02-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks

AceFX
02-16-2012, 02:02 PM

politby
02-16-2012, 03:32 PM
can the same coding be done with NCS expert?

Thanks again!

Yes. Read the module (MMI in this case) with NCS expert and you get the NETTODAT.TRC file which contain the command lines Ace is referring to.

You can modify the hex value on line 3002 as per Ace's guide and save the file as NETTODAT.MAN then code the MMI using the basic functions/coapiCodeSgByNettoDATA Type "NETTODAT.MAN".

AceFX
02-16-2012, 04:03 PM

stuartjohn24
02-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Hi politby,

Thanks for that, I will read the MMI this weekend and have a look. Im using INPA and DIS on my macbook using a virtual machine inside a virtual machine which is pretty slow! So im setting up a old computer in the garage at the moment purely for diagnostics etc...

I will take a picture of the unit this weekend, The wiring sounds simple just need to find the diagrams for my unit and the new one i will be fitting and match the connections up.

Thanks again

Stuart

stuartjohn24
02-16-2012, 04:16 PM

PAPER
02-16-2012, 05:47 PM

PAPER
02-16-2012, 06:27 PM
for some reason the pic's showed upside down ???
& my phone is tripping GRRRRRRRRRRR:mad:

Rookie2008
02-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Wow Good luck!

MakaveliFaison
02-16-2012, 08:09 PM
If you have a facelift Tcu its just a simple coding change.

PAPER
02-16-2012, 08:29 PM
pic's .

Rostman
02-16-2012, 09:16 PM
If you have a facelift Tcu its just a simple coding change.

I hope i've got facelift TCU)

PAPER
02-16-2012, 11:47 PM
: popcorn:

politby
02-17-2012, 04:15 AM
Can someone else who has NCS Expert try this?

AceFX
02-17-2012, 06:34 AM

AceFX
02-17-2012, 06:37 AM
Ace :drive:

politby
02-17-2012, 08:13 AM
Thanks,

politby
02-17-2012, 08:49 AM
I hope i've got facelift TCU)

Now wouldn't it be swell if someone could tell us the definition of a "facelift TCU". :)

There are so many TCU part numbers in the BMW listings that it makes my brain hurt...

politby
02-17-2012, 09:34 AM
Okay, while working on creating a 32-bit Win7 partition so I can run NCS Expert natively, I made a little dry run.

I used Revtor's NCSdummy tool to compare the NETTODAT.TRC files before and after the change on command line 3002. That's a handy function to find out what a hex code change in the nettodat file will result in the human "readable" parameter file:

Generated with NCS Dummy version 0.5.0.5 ***8212; copyright İ 2011 revtor software

Output : Trace Differences
Chassis : E65 (E65,E66,E67,E68)
Module : MMI_E65.C03
Trace file 1 : "C:\NCSEXPER\WORK\NETTODAT.TRC" (Nettodata)
Trace file 2 : "C:\NCSEXPER\WORK\NETTODAT2.TRC" (Nettodata)
Differences : Yes

1 2 FUNCTION KEYWORD FUNCTION KEYWORD TRANSLATION
PARAMETER KEYWORD PARAMETER KEYWORD TRANSLATION
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
BLUETOOTH_HANDY
* nicht_aktiv not active
* aktiv active

As you can see the parameter affected by the "3D" to "3F" change in the 7th hex pair is the BLUETOOTH_HANDY value which gets set to active. "Handy", of course, being the German word for cellphone.

Now, it's anybody´s guess why something this obvious has not been successfully attempted by anyone on the German 7-forum, but my hunch is that this simple coding change may not work on every pre-sep-06 facelift car because the TCU versions may not necessarily be timed with the facelift date (s).

And for those using NCS Expert this means that coding this can be done via the standard method so coding by way of NETTODAT is not necessary.

Mr_Burger
02-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Hi Ace, are you guessing the hex values or do you have some reference info re you're settings?

AceFX
02-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Hi Burgermeister,

In the first instance I was 'experimenting' with them (guessing if you like) to see what change did what.

Mr_Burger
02-17-2012, 04:47 PM
:D

Shame we can't get a source code dump from BMW :(

BTW, we s/w engineers don't call them hex pairs, each pair = 1 byte (or 8 bits) :)

Mr_Burger
02-17-2012, 06:45 PM
lol, I hear ya...Just don't mention upper/lower nibbles and you'll be fine :D

politby
02-18-2012, 01:37 AM
Hi politby,

Thanks for that, I will read the MMI this weekend and have a look. Im using INPA and DIS on my macbook using a virtual machine inside a virtual machine which is pretty slow! So im setting up a old computer in the garage at the moment purely for diagnostics etc...

A VM inside a VM? So you're what, running a Windows VM in VMware Fusion on the Mac and then running VMware Workstation or VirtualPC in that VM? Cool, but why?

I've been working in virtualization for 6 years and only just now found the occasion to use it personally... to be able to run old 16-bit BMW software on a modern O/S... :D

Rather incredible that no one at BMW has leaked these specs, in all these years. Makes me wonder what they are threatened with if they did...

politby
02-18-2012, 01:40 AM
Good morning Politby.........it's got cold here now....now snow....bit it's down to 16.7 C.

Well at least we are mosquito free :p

stuartjohn24
02-18-2012, 03:30 AM
A VM inside a VM? So you're what, running a Windows VM in VMware Fusion on the Mac and then running VMware Workstation or VirtualPC in that VM? Cool, but why?

I've been working in virtualization for 6 years and only just now found the occasion to use it personally... to be able to run old 16-bit BMW software on a modern O/S... :D

Rather incredible that no one at BMW has leaked these specs, in all these years. Makes me wonder what they are threatened with if they did...

Yeah pretty much! I gave up on windows as a main OS many years ago! I have virtual box running on the mac which has a copy of windows running on it, this runs the INPA and the diagnostic head emulator, I then have VMware running inside the windows virtual machine to run the dis software. It does actually work but just very slowly!

I don't have any windows capable machines at home, I'm looking to get something setup purely for diagnostics and coding.

politby
02-18-2012, 06:36 AM
Well it was worth a try but unfortunately it did not work in my case.

I recoded the MMI - BLUETOOTH_HANDY to "aktiv" (equivalent to changing the command line as Ace did) and it had absolutely no effect. MMI looks exactly the same and the only Bluetooth setting is the on/off toggle.

Then I also coded the PORTABLE_BT parameter to "aktiv" in the TCU. That didn't do anything either.

Strange that NCS Expert would report those parameters as codeable when they have no effect.

So I have to conclude that the TCU in my car does not support any other bluetooth functionality other than pairing with the BMW handset in the drawer. Unless there are more, less obvious, code changes needed.

I used INPA to interrogate the TCU and despite being a facelift car my 750i has a TCU manufactured in Dec 2003. I guess BMW had to get rid of old parts. :(
It does have the Bluetooth sticker with the pairing code and the car came with the pairing code card which is still in the glovebox.

Maybe I was just unlucky to get a facelift car with an old TCU, so I am real interested in hearing from stuartjohn24 and rostman about their TCUs and coding results.

stuartjohn24
02-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Hi,

Shame to hear you haven't had much luck so far!

I have just been playing with this NCS Expert, I haven't used it before but managed to get the hang of it and read the coding information from a few units.

I still have the original re-facelift MMI but decided to have a look at what options are codeable.

The telephone related options that I can see are as follows:

ECE_TELEFON
nicht_aktiv not active
* aktiv active
US_TELEFON
* nicht_aktiv not active
aktiv active
TEL_WDCT
nicht_aktiv not active
* aktiv active
TEL_BLUETOOTH BLUETOOTH TELEPHONE
* nicht_aktiv not active
aktiv active
TEL_US_BUSINESS BMW BUSINESS TELEPHONE (USA)
* nicht_aktiv not active
aktiv active
TEL_US_PROFESSIONAL BMW PROFESSIONAL TELEPHONE (USA)
* nicht_aktiv not active
aktiv active
TEL_EXPLORERLISTE
nicht_aktiv not active
* aktiv active

I have no idea what ECE_TELEFON is, there also appears to be business and professional versions of the US phone option, is that for the BMW branded phone that goes into the armrest?

It would be interesting to see what activating the TEL_BLUETOOTH option does, can options conflict? like if the ECE_TELEFON is say for the phone in the drawer what will activating the bluetooth option do?

One other thing, when you read the coding you get the hex dump pop up and the line ACe refers to is there 3002, I understand he is using the 4 in 1 lead with dashsoft which looks like a copy/hacked version of carsoft/PA soft v2.1.0?

Obviously NCS expert converts the hex into a readable trace file showing what options are coded etc... isnt it simpler using NCS expert and NCSdummy to change the options rather than changing the hex values directly to see what they do?

Or have i got this all very wrong!

politby
02-18-2012, 08:59 AM
I have no idea what ECE_TELEFON is, there also appears to be business and professional versions of the US phone option, is that for the BMW branded phone that goes into the armrest?

I'm pretty sure ECE means a European market version, U.S. market models are labeled US, such as this one listed on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E65-E66-TELEMATICS-CONTROL-UNIT-TCU-CAR-TELEPHONE-MODULE-OEM-750LI-750I-760-/270898342232?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f12cca958&vxp=mtr#ht_962wt_1082). Note this one has an ESN rather than an IMEI number on the label which tells you it is a CDMA unit, not GSM. So it would be useless in most of the non-U.S. world.

I have seen three basic TCU variants, Europe (or rest of world) GSM, U.S. CDMA, and U.S. GSM. I see no reason why the latter should not work in other GSM areas as well.

One other thing, when you read the coding you get the hex dump pop up and the line ACe refers to is there 3002, I understand he is using the 4 in 1 lead with dashsoft which looks like a copy/hacked version of carsoft/PA soft v2.1.0?

The hex dump you get is the NETTODAT.TRC file which is a hex representation of the FSW_PSW.TRC file. I am not sure if they say exactly the same thing or if the NETTODAT file contains more options.

Obviously NCS expert converts the hex into a readable trace file showing what options are coded etc... isnt it simpler using NCS expert and NCSdummy to change the options rather than changing the hex values directly to see what they do?

You need NCS Expert whichever way you want to code. NCSdummy does not code, it just reads and translates the information. Essentially you edit the NETTODAT or FSW_PSW trace file, save it as .MAN and feed it to NCS Expert which performs the actual coding. It is pretty well explained here (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1553779).

Believe it or not I found a TCU for sale at a local salvage yard, coming out of a 2007 E66. It was only ~150 euros so I placed an order immediately. Pretty cheap compared to the ones listed on the German eBay. I should get it in a couple of days. Part number 84109149615.

Hopefully the wiring is the same so I won't have to rebuild the connectors. Maybe I can convince Ace to share how he coded his new TCU for his VIN.:)

If that does not work, I will give up.

MakaveliFaison
02-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Hi,

Shame to hear you haven't had much luck so far!

I have just been playing with this NCS Expert, I haven't used it before but managed to get the hang of it and read the coding information from a few units.

I still have the original re-facelift MMI but decided to have a look at what options are codeable.

The telephone related options that I can see are as follows:

ECE_TELEFON
nicht_aktiv not active
* aktiv active
US_TELEFON
* nicht_aktiv not active
aktiv active
TEL_WDCT
nicht_aktiv not active
* aktiv active
TEL_BLUETOOTH BLUETOOTH TELEPHONE
* nicht_aktiv not active
aktiv active
TEL_US_BUSINESS BMW BUSINESS TELEPHONE (USA)
* nicht_aktiv not active
aktiv active
TEL_US_PROFESSIONAL BMW PROFESSIONAL TELEPHONE (USA)
* nicht_aktiv not active
aktiv active
TEL_EXPLORERLISTE
nicht_aktiv not active
* aktiv active

It would be interesting to see what activating the TEL_BLUETOOTH option does, can options conflict? like if the ECE_TELEFON is say for the phone in the drawer what will activating the bluetooth option do?

Or have i got this all very wrong!

+1. Ncs is easier IMO.

Ece means Europe pretty sure tel means telephone. So.....

MakaveliFaison
02-18-2012, 09:01 AM
And if you want your iPod to show up instead of cd1 through 6 all you do is code iPod list to aktiv in ncs and you are done. Just figured I'd share since I never ended up listing this in the past

politby
02-18-2012, 09:05 AM
And if you want your iPod to show up instead of cd1 through 6 all you do is code iPod list to aktiv in ncs and you are done. Just figured I'd share since I never ended up listing this in the past

More specific please! :) "iPod list"? Never seen that parameter anywhere. Which module?

MakaveliFaison
02-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Mmigt module. I did it to boeing750i's car when I installed his iPod adapter for him

politby
02-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Mmigt module. I did it to boeing750i's car when I installed his iPod adapter for him

Thanks. So add "iPod list aktiv" and code to the MMIGT?

stuartjohn24
02-18-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm pretty sure ECE means a European market version, U.S. market models are labeled US, such as this one listed on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E65-E66-TELEMATICS-CONTROL-UNIT-TCU-CAR-TELEPHONE-MODULE-OEM-750LI-750I-760-/270898342232?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f12cca958&vxp=mtr#ht_962wt_1082). Note this one has an ESN rather than an IMEI number on the label which tells you it is a CDMA unit, not GSM. So it would be useless in most of the non-U.S. world.

I have seen three basic TCU variants, Europe (or rest of world) GSM, U.S. CDMA, and U.S. GSM. I see no reason why the latter should not work in other GSM areas as well.

The hex dump you get is the NETTODAT.TRC file which is a hex representation of the FSW_PSW.TRC file. I am not sure if they say exactly the same thing or if the NETTODAT file contains more options.

You need NCS Expert whichever way you want to code. NCSdummy does not code, it just reads and translates the information. Essentially you edit the NETTODAT or FSW_PSW trace file, save it as .MAN and feed it to NCS Expert which performs the actual coding. It is pretty well explained here (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1553779).

Believe it or not I found a TCU for sale at a local salvage yard, coming out of a 2007 E66. It was only ~150 euros so I placed an order immediately. Pretty cheap compared to the ones listed on the German eBay. I should get it in a couple of days. Part number 84109149615.

Hopefully the wiring is the same so I won't have to rebuild the connectors. Maybe I can convince Ace to share how he coded his new TCU for his VIN.:)

If that does not work, I will give up.

Ahh... Of course! I understand, so with you being in Sweden you have the same situation as me, It looks as though the facelift telematics unit is the one to go for and one obviously a GSM variant.

I will most likely have to upgrade the MMI first, as I doubt it will be compatible with the newer telematics unit.

That's right, I think the hex is exactly the contents of the coding memory and Ncs converts it for you, Ncs then converts the .MAN file back to hex when you code it.

I wonder if there is a way to convert the .MAN file back to hex so you can see the values that have been changed?

As long as I keep a backup of the original coding memory can I revert back if something goes horribly wrong?

MakaveliFaison
02-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks. So add "iPod list aktiv" and code to the MMIGT?

No...you don't add that line. That line is already there. Just change it from nicht_aktiv to aktiv. And your done

PAPER
02-18-2012, 01:51 PM
: popcorn:

DFEL750I
02-18-2012, 06:43 PM
Edit* just noticed this was already explained earlier in the thread...please ignore.

DFEL750I
02-18-2012, 06:46 PM
No...you don't add that line. That line is already there. Just change it from nicht_aktiv to aktiv. And your done

Hey Maka. I don't have an iPod kit yet but I was looking around in my facelift MMI FSW file and I cannot see any options related to iPod. Do I need to add the option in the VO first or is there some other option I need to enable in the MMI first.

politby
02-19-2012, 03:34 AM
After tinkering with this for a week, here's what I think. I had a conversation with a knowledgeable friend in Germany yesterday and I think the Germans are right - on an E65/66 built before September 2006 with the Business phone option, the only way to get full Bluetooth functionality is to install a newer TCU.

The pre-09/06 TCUs simply do not have the full Bluetooth stack, they are limited to a subset that can just talk to the BMW handset.

The hardware may be capable so theoretically a firmware flash might do it but unlikely as a DIY proposition.

@Ace, you may have had an even older TCU (Siemens) that used DECT, not Bluetooth, with the BMW handsets and then you installed a post-09/06 TCU which has the full BT stack and thus responded to your changes in the MMI coding. You never actually tried with a limited-BT TCU, and you never claimed you did either, but we collectively jumped to the conclusion and thought you had done what no one else has managed to do.

In fact, there is no correlation between the facelift and any specific TCU variant. BMW did not introduce full Bluetooth capability until September 2006. My car has a TCU from 2003 and is still an FL.

Now those dates are not exact, so theoretically there could be cars made before 09/06 which have the newer TCU but then they would probably have full BT already.

I also do not believe there are any "secret codes" accessible to Dashsoft or any other software that NCS Expert cannot get to. The trace files you get from NCS will show every settable option. Many are AFAIK still untested but with NCS Dummy we can at least get most of them shown in more readable form.

I am looking forward to getting my new TCU. Just hope I will be able to code it so the car will not reject the transplant...

politby
02-19-2012, 04:26 AM
Paper, hope I am not raining on your parade now. The unit in your first photo, is that your old TCU? That is an AMPS unit. The other unit behind it in the other pics is a CDMA unit. Is that the new one? If so you are not only changing to a Bluetooth TCU, you are also switching from AMPS to CDMA.

There is also a compensator (flat square box with cooling fins) in your trunk, right? That is AMPS only.
I do not know if you can upgrade from AMPS to CDMA, the wiring may be completely different. Keep in mind Ace's car and most of the others in this thread uses GSM phones.

I am not saying you have hit a dead end, but make sure to check up on this both 2x and 3x before you plug this stuff in...

stuartjohn24
02-19-2012, 05:43 AM
Hi Politby,

I have taken the boot trims off to double check the telephone module.

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac66/stuartjohn24/E65%20Telematics%20Upgrade/IMG_0627.jpg

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac66/stuartjohn24/E65%20Telematics%20Upgrade/IMG_0631.jpg

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac66/stuartjohn24/E65%20Telematics%20Upgrade/IMG_0622.jpg

I notice the unit has two antenna inputs, I believe one is the GSM antenna on the roof and the second the WDCT? which I understand is on the parcel shelf?

The newer TCU does not have as much wiring as it just connects to the SOS button, microphone, CAN etc... and not any connection to a phone cradle/drawer.

Would it be possible to use a TCU from an E60,E90 etc...

e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E60-Bluetooth-Telematics-Control-Unit-84-10697693-/170675781756?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27bd11c07c#ht_500wt_812

Cheers

politby
02-19-2012, 06:41 AM
Hi Politby,

I have taken the boot trims off to double check the telephone module.

I notice the unit has two antenna inputs, I believe one is the GSM antenna on the roof and the second the WDCT? which I understand is on the parcel shelf?

The newer TCU does not have as much wiring as it just connects to the SOS button, microphone, CAN etc... and not any connection to a phone cradle/drawer.

Would it be possible to use a TCU from an E60,E90 etc...

e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E60-Bluetooth-Telematics-Control-Unit-84-10697693-/170675781756?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27bd11c07c#ht_500wt_812

Cheers

Well yours definitely does not have Bluetooth.

I do not think the E60/61 TCUs will work in an E65. The part number in the eBay listing is missing a digit so I can't cross reference it, I tried adding 0-9 at the end but got no hits so I think the seller has got it wrong.

MakaveliFaison
02-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Hey Maka. I don't have an iPod kit yet but I was looking around in my facelift MMI FSW file and I cannot see any options related to iPod. Do I need to add the option in the VO first or is there some other option I need to enable in the MMI first.

No you don't have add anything. Ill send you the mmi file. I saved from that 750 I did a little later when I get on a comp so you can see how it looks.

politby
02-19-2012, 08:17 AM
No you don't have add anything. Ill send you the mmi file. I saved from that 750 I did a little later when I get on a comp so you can see how it looks.

Appreciate a copy as well.

Many thanks

DFEL750I
02-19-2012, 08:45 AM

Thanks that would be great. I might have some old Daten files for the E65 in NCS so I might not be seeing all the codable options in my FSW file that are possible for my facelift MMI. I think I have sent you a copy of an FSW file from one of the modules in the past so you may have my email. If you don't have it let me know.

PAPER
02-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the info . I will pick up a GSM TCU to solve that issue .

politby
02-20-2012, 11:13 AM
is the pop out phone keypad still working after you switched TCUs?

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Bimmer App

PAPER
02-21-2012, 12:13 AM
Paper, hope I am not raining on your parade now. The unit in your first photo, is that your old TCU? That is an AMPS unit. The other unit behind it in the other pics is a CDMA unit. Is that the new one? If so you are not only changing to a Bluetooth TCU, you are also switching from AMPS to CDMA.

There is also a compensator (flat square box with cooling fins) in your trunk, right? That is AMPS only.
I do not know if you can upgrade from AMPS to CDMA, the wiring may be completely different. Keep in mind Ace's car and most of the others in this thread uses GSM phones.

I am not saying you have hit a dead end, but make sure to check up on this both 2x and 3x before you plug this stuff in...

I can use a GSM TCU

politby
02-23-2012, 11:02 AM
I can use a GSM TCU

Hard to say. I don't think the issue is GSM vs. CDMA, rather if the existing wiring in your car supports upgrading from the AMPS system, since the AMPS TCU uses a compensator and other stuff.

But they are all MOST connected so maybe it will work. Might want to ask BMW if there was an upgrade path from AMPS.

Rostman
02-25-2012, 12:34 AM
So, i've made a photos of my TCU
http://rostman.users.photofile.ru/photo/rostman/200612417/xlarge/207902962.jpg
http://rostman.users.photofile.ru/photo/rostman/200612417/xlarge/207902963.jpg
http://rostman.users.photofile.ru/photo/rostman/200612417/xlarge/207902965.jpg

I was talking with two software guys and telling him that my TCU unit is looks exactly as yours but they are saying now chance because my TCU unit is for Phone Professional for 638 option and i need to replace my TCU unit which comse with 633 option.
I looked up on the pat number of your TCU unit in your video: 84 10 9 113 247 and its for 633 option. So i think i really need to replace TCU unit to have normal bluetooth.

PAPER
02-25-2012, 12:51 AM
Hard to say. I don't think the issue is GSM vs. CDMA, rather if the existing wiring in your car supports upgrading from the AMPS system, since the AMPS TCU uses a compensator and other stuff.

But they are all MOST connected so maybe it will work. Might want to ask BMW if there was an upgrade path from AMPS.

just thought I would let you know the unit I bought works with the AMPS .
PUT IT IN AN 04 along with the FaceLift MMI & it worked with no problems .
All features worked .

politby
02-25-2012, 02:29 AM
just thought I would let you know the unit I bought works with the AMPS .
PUT IT IN AN 04 along with the FaceLift MMI & it worked with no problems .
All features worked .

That's good news!

What did you have to do to code it for the car? Did you have to program it with the VIN?

PAPER
02-25-2012, 02:58 AM
That's good news!

What did you have to do to code it for the car? Did you have to program it with the VIN?

Yes had to code Vin & turn on Bluetooth & a few other phone features.

1 thing I must point out is it did not work entirely with the Pre-FaceLift MMI. It would not stay connected & the phone section on the MMI stayed on the pairing page.

But with the FaceLift MMI it functioned properly.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App

politby
02-25-2012, 06:35 AM
Yes had to code Vin & turn on Bluetooth & a few other phone features.

1 thing I must point out is it did not work entirely with the Pre-FaceLift MMI. It would not stay connected & the phone section on the MMI stayed on the pairing page.

But with the FaceLift MMI it functioned properly.

Okay. What did you use to code the VIN? WinKFP?

PAPER
02-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Okay. What did you use to code the VIN? WinKFP?

fhnfhn

JML6278
02-25-2012, 05:38 PM

Could you please send it to me as well. When using ncs expert to read my MMI it doesn't show anything to do with iPod. Does it only show up if the iPod retrofit kit is installed? Would using the MMI file from the 750 you have make that option available?

Separate MMI related question. Does any 8.8" MMI from a 2006 or later work for the facelift? I only ask because I see some auctions that mention Navigation and some just say control screen. I have a Navi03 and I just want to make sure I don't lose the ability to use it. I know the MMI is more than just a screen so that's why I am asking.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Rostman
03-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Guys, could anybody tell me if TCU part number 84 10 6 972 692 will work on e65?

politby
03-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Guys, could anybody tell me if TCU part number 84 10 6 972 692 will work on e65?

That part number does not cross reference to any other than the E60/61 models. You can look it up yourself at realoem.com.

It appears to be intended for retrofit in cars with the S633A option (preparation for Business phone).

I guess the only way to find out is to try plugging it in. BMW is not likely to tell you. :) Can you try it before you buy it?

I still haven't installed my new TCU; too bloody cold outside. Also still waiting to find out how to program it with my VIN.

Rostman
03-05-2012, 11:56 PM
That part number does not cross reference to any other than the E60/61 models. You can look it up yourself at realoem.com.

It appears to be intended for retrofit in cars with the S633A option (preparation for Business phone).

I guess the only way to find out is to try plugging it in. BMW is not likely to tell you. :) Can you try it before you buy it?

I still haven't installed my new TCU; too bloody cold outside. Also still waiting to find out how to program it with my VIN.

This part number i crossing with many others in ETK.
http://rostman.users.photofile.ru/photo/rostman/200612417/xlarge/207992894.jpg
For example first three part numbers can be used on e65, but 84 10 6 972 692 is written can be used just on e65 and it is very strange because why some TCUs is crossed with what can be used in e65 and others not :dunno:
Bloody hell why its so complicated in BMW :mad:
How to change your your VIN i've saw on bmwcoding.com forum. You can make a little research there :)

secagold
03-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Hi guys !!!! I have a 2002 BMW E65 730D. I replaced the TCUM unit in the trunk with the everest model to get full bluetooth compatibility.I followed everything you wrote here and i fail to make it work.
I managed to connect my mobile phone with the TCU unit in the trunk using the pass key which is written on the module.
the problem is that i can not acces the meniu on screen.The MMI unit displays only the option Bluetooth on/off.
The MMI module is a non facelift module.
When I tried to read the Nettodat.trc file I noticed that it is totally different from what you have shown here. The 0302 line is different.
In the FSW file read from the MMI there is no option to activate the bluetooth .
If i select the option code car (and not just one module) and after i read the FSW file i can find only there all the options to activate bluetooth, handy , portable bt, portable bt_c60 , ...etc.Because it is a FSW file obtained from coding the entire car , I do not know in which module are stored.important is that i managed to activate the bluetooth just changing that file and coding with the FSW.Man file the car again.
The only problem now is the inability to control my mobile phone using the i-drive functions.There is no other bluetooth menu in the settings menu no mather what i change in the FSW file. I have changed all the Phone and bluetooth options to active and not active one by one and in different combinations and nothing happends.I dissabled the ECE phone and enabled it again.Nothing nothing. I tried to do update the MMI with a different software(non facelist version of course) but winkfp refuzes to accept a diiferent one and programms the unit with the same version
Remember that my phone is already conected with the TCU unit. the bluetooth is active now

PLease help me and sorry for my english !!!! i look forward to a response !!!

stuartjohn24
03-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Hi secagold,

If you see post 124, apparently the bluetooth does not function properly on the pre-facelift MMI, I am in the same position, Im waitng for my facelift MMI to arrive, hopfully being delivered this week!

Unfortunately the gearbox is now playing up! :cry: hopefully I can fix the mechatronic unit!

Hamilton1974
03-13-2012, 01:41 AM

We could try it out sometime now that it's warming up outside with Dashsoft and the 4 in 1 interface that I got! From Ace's videos it seems pretty simple to code the VIN into a module!

PAPER
03-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Man I really need to look up my TCU so I can figure out the wiring so I can put my New TCU in .

stuartjohn24
03-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Hi Guys,

My facelift MMI turned up yesterday, managed to get it from a guy in Lithuania, £130 which was pretty good!

However.... fitted the screen works fine etc... re-coded the VIN using Tool32 all looking good.

But having a nightmare trying to read the coding data using NCS expert. I can read all other modules and code them but I get a COAPI-1000 error when trying the new MMI.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hope someone can help!

PAPER
03-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Hi Guys,

My facelift MMI turned up yesterday, managed to get it from a guy in Lithuania, £130 which was pretty good!

However.... fitted the screen works fine etc... re-coded the VIN using Tool32 all looking good.

But having a nightmare trying to read the coding data using NCS expert. I can read all other modules and code them but I get a COAPI-1000 error when trying the new MMI.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hope someone can help!

How much is that in American dollars ?
& as for suggestions try changing MMI .C02
to .C03/.C04 if that don't work go up a # .
Hope that helps .

stuartjohn24
03-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Hi PAPER

Its about 200 USD

Sorry, how do I change it to .C03 or .C03? and what does go up a # mean?

Sorry if its a simple question!

Thanks!

JML6278
03-14-2012, 04:04 PM
How much is that in American dollars ?
& as for suggestions try changing MMI .C02
to .C03/.C04 if that don't work go up a # .
Hope that helps .

Paper, have you made any headway trying this? I know of 4 people currently having this identical issue with no resolution as of yet. (unless you've cracked it).

Jeff

PAPER
03-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Hi PAPER

Its about 200 USD

Sorry, how do I change it to .C03 or .C03? and what does go up a # mean?

Sorry if its a simple question!

Thanks!

when you select MMIGT you should get a pop up on your screen .
that is were you can change it . what I meant by go up a # is ,
first change C02 to C03 if that don't work then go up a # by
changing C03 to C04 , then C05 , C06 & so on .

stuartjohn24
03-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Hi Paper,

Thanks for the reply, are you referring to NCS expert or the dashsoft setup?

I understand you had the same problem, did dashsoft manage to code it for you??

Thanks again for your help

PAPER
03-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Hi Paper,

Thanks for the reply, are you referring to NCS expert or the dashsoft setup?

I understand you had the same problem, did dashsoft manage to code it for you??

Thanks again for your help

NCS Expert .
What Profile are you loading at start ?

PAPER
03-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Paper, have you made any headway trying this? I know of 4 people currently having this identical issue with no resolution as of yet. (unless you've cracked it).

Jeff

No I have not tried it yet , I was just making a suggestion .
I figure since the 02 reads MMI .C02 why not try changing
it to the FaceLift # .C03/.C04

PAPER
03-14-2012, 04:24 PM
1 thing I forgot to mention is to 1'st clear out your MAN FILE & TRC FILE .
Don't delete the files , just open them & wipe them clean so they are blank
before you load NCS expert .

Also try reading with the car off , if that don't work try with the car running .
I know with anther members car I could not read the MMI unless the car
was running , & on a different car the car needed to be off . I know it sounds
strange , but that is what happen on 2 different cars .

stuartjohn24
03-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Hi Paper,

Ive used a couple of profiles, all give the same results so far.

I will try erasing the trace file contents, I havent seen an option as yet where you can choose which .C0x file you can use to read the MMI, all i get is 'Choose ECU' so i select MMIGT then hit the 'READ ECU' button i then get the infamous error message!

PAPER
03-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Hi Paper,

Ive used a couple of profiles, all give the same results so far.

I will try erasing the trace file contents, I havent seen an option as yet where you can choose which .C0x file you can use to read the MMI, all i get is 'Choose ECU' so i select MMIGT then hit the 'READ ECU' button i then get the infamous error message!

Try using the Fister profile . I'll post a pic in a few of what Im talking about . Busy driving to get my daughter now . Give me 5 or 10 minute .I'll take a pic when I stop .

stuartjohn24
03-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Hi Paper,

That would be great if you could, much appreciated!

JML6278
03-14-2012, 04:45 PM
I tried all profiles (expert, fister, etc) no difference. While I agree that these cars can be sensitive and that sometimes what works on one won't work on another, I think because we are all having the identical problem with daten files ranging from V32 to V45 (mine) that the problem probably lies with something like the coding index mismatch or the VO needing things added and/or removed. I'm sure this is a solvable problem and now that their are at least 4 of us with the same issue we can get some more focus put on it.

Thanks,

Jeff

PAPER
03-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Ok just used the Fister profile . After I scroll down & choose MMI & hit ok . I get this pop up , this is where you change C02 to C03 & so on .

stuartjohn24
03-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks paper, I will give this a go in a sec. Jeff have you tried this?

Jeff, I agree, this must be resolvable I just hope its figured out quick! :thumbup:

stuartjohn24
03-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Thanks for your help paper,

Right just tried the fister profile with the option changed to C03, 4 etc... no change.

I guess that proves the theory of trying to communicate expecting the wrong coding level was not the problem.

Its really not happy talking to the facelift MMI.

Not sure what else to try. can the VO really be the problem??? is something conflicting? what does the ASW file mean in the work folder, upon opening it it appears to list the modules or options of the car, at the bottom i notice MMI c02 and c03 listed.

Is NCS expert seeing two MMI's?

Rookie2008
03-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Damn Papers are you some IT Tech you have all kinds of computers an gadgets no matter where you go

PAPER
03-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Damn Papers are you some IT Tech you have all kinds of computers an gadgets no matter where you go

I should look for an IT job someplace . LoL

PAPER
03-14-2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks for your help paper,

Right just tried the fister profile with the option changed to C03, 4 etc... no change.

I guess that proves the theory of trying to communicate expecting the wrong coding level was not the problem.

Its really not happy talking to the facelift MMI.

Not sure what else to try. can the VO really be the problem??? is something conflicting? what does the ASW file mean in the work folder, upon opening it it appears to list the modules or options of the car, at the bottom i notice MMI c02 and c03 listed.

Is NCS expert seeing two MMI's?

How far Did you go up from C02 ?

The weird part about all this is that , I personally put my FaceLift MMI in another members 04 & I had no problems reading or coding it . I then installed it back in my car & still could not read the Damn MMI , I still got the error .

JML6278
03-14-2012, 08:29 PM

The weird part about all this is that , I personally put my FaceLift MMI in another members 04 & I had no problems reading or coding it . I then installed it back in my car & still could not read the Damn MMI , I still got the error .

If you have access to that car again you could read the MMI ECU and then make changes for your car and see if NCS will write it to the MMI. You could also check NCS and see what options he has in his VO and compare them to yours. Whatever is different we can look up and see what it's for. Maybe we all have something in our VO that NCS doesn't like or are missing something that by looking at the car that you were able to read the MMI will show us. That car could be the piece we need to solve this puzzle.

PAPER
03-14-2012, 08:34 PM
If you have access to that car again you could read the MMI ECU and then make changes for your car and see if NCS will write it to the MMI. You could also check NCS and see what options he has in his VO and compare them to yours. Whatever is different we can look up and see what it's for. Maybe we all have something in our VO that NCS doesn't like or are missing something that by looking at the car that you were able to read the MMI will show us. That car could be the piece we need to solve this puzzle.

I did make changes to the MMI with no problems .

I also wrote down his VO .
I will post his VO in a few .

JML6278
03-14-2012, 08:36 PM

Paper, did you happen to save a copy of the trace file that got generated when you were able to read your MMI on the 2004 745? I believe it has to be about the VO at this point since you used the same computer, daten files, etc to read the ECU on the other car. Since the MMI had the same config the only variable left (unless I'm missing something which is very possible) is the VO. I am also curious which .C0x file it loaded on the 2004 car. That would let us know if we are at least using the correct file.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

PAPER
03-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Paper, did you happen to save a copy of the trace file that got generated when you were able to read your MMI on the 2004 745? I believe it has to be about the VO at this point since you used the same computer, daten files, etc to read the ECU on the other car. Since the MMI had the same config the only variable left (unless I'm missing something which is very possible) is the VO. I am also curious which .C0x file it loaded on the 2004 car. That would let us know if we are at least using the correct file.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Unfortunately I did not save the trace file .

JML6278
03-14-2012, 08:41 PM
I did make changes to the MMI with no problems .

I also wrote down his VO .
I will post his VO in a few .

On a side note do you also have an english translation of all the possible VO options? I got one sent to me yesterday by a member of another forum, but it was huge and I'm not positive it's correct.

Thanks Paper for your help. I think we are close.

PAPER
03-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Here is his VO .
$1CA
$202
$216
$226
$229
$245
$255
$302
$316
$319
$323
$330
$358
$403
$415
$416
$423
$430
$431
$438
$441
$442
$449
$466
$470
$481
$488
$502
$508
$521
$522
$524
$534
$541
$596
$609
$620
$645
$672
$677
$691
$693
$760
$785
$845
$850
$853
$925
$992
%0472
&V7SW
*GN63
-LEDE
& here is his line 3002 from DashSoft
0B
B1
FC
CF
The rest of line 3002 was 00 all the way to slot 16 .

JML6278
03-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Here is his VO .
$1CA
$202
$216
$226
$229
$245
$255
$302
$316
$319
$323
$330
$358
$403
$415
$416
$423
$430
$431
$438
$441
$442
$449
$466
$470
$481
$488
$502
$508
$521
$522
$524
$534
$541
$596
$609
$620
$645
$672
$677
$691
$693
$760
$785
$845
$850
$853
$925
$992
%0472
&V7SW
*GN63
-LEDE
& here is his line 3002 from DashSoft
0B
B1
FC
CF
The rest of line 3002 was 00 all the way to slot 16 .

Thanks. I'll try and see what each is for and compare with mine tomorrow. I think we should all post our VO's to see if we have something in common.

PAPER
03-14-2012, 09:00 PM
I made a topic regarding VO . Look up my topics & there is a link there that will give you your specific VO according to your VIN . Then you can compare what your VIN gives you & what NCS gives you

politby
03-15-2012, 12:37 AM
Hi Guys,

As long as you do not think too much of where that MMI came from... Lots of chop up shops in LT where parts from cars stolen all over EU, or imported from the U.S with salvage titles, are Frankensteined into "good as new" cars sold again in the EU to unsuspecting buyers.

Not suggesting Lithuania is a land of crooks, I know lots of honest folks there, but the car repair business is interesting...

stuartjohn24
03-15-2012, 01:51 AM
Hi politby,

the thought had crossed my mind, they seem to be breaking a number of these cars, it does look suspicious!

Jeff, I painstakingly translated the VO options yesterday, I dont have the full list on this computer, I do have the full translated copy of just my VO though if your interested?

E65_#1001&U6FA%0475|7521643|7521902

*GL62 - E65 N62B44 RL ECE SITZMEMORY_FA STEPTRONIC SERVOTRONIC //745i EUR RL

$169 - EU3 Emissions standard
$202 - Steptronic, line is needed for PPP's
$216 - Servotronic
$229 - Active roll stabilisation to 03/05
$245 - Electric steering column adjustment
$261 - Side airbags for rear passengers
$268 - Light-alloy wheels with mixed tires front: LM 245/50 R19, rear: LM 275/45 R19 (Styling 95)
$302 - Alarm: DWA with interior protection and emergency siren
$316 - Automatic Boot Lid
$323 - Soft Close Automatic with child protection
$415 - Electric rear window sunshade
$416 - 0415 as including electric side window sunshade.
$423 - Front and rear velor mats
$428 - Warning triangle and first aid kit
$431 - Mirror control
$438 - Fine-wood trim Ash Grain dark
$441 - Smoking package
$442 - Front and rear cup holders
$453 - Active seat ventialtion front
$454 - Active seat ventilation rear
$456 - Electric comfort seats with memory for driver / front passenger
$460 - Electric seat adjustment in rear
$488 - Electric lumbar support
$494 - Heated driver and front passenger seats
$496 - Heated rear seats
$502 - Headlight washers
$508 - Park distance control (PDC)
$521 - Rain sensor from 09/05 series for all 6 and 8-cylinder (not for E67)
$522 - Bi-xenon headlights
$534 - Automatic air conditioning, "High" + Cooled storage compartment in center console
$601 - TV function including VCR connection
$609 - Navigation system without TV, new production use in conjunction with LA802 03/06
$630 - Telephone
$650 - CD ASK unit
$672 - CD changer 6 disc
$677 - HIFI system professional (Logic 7)
$785 - Individual "white flashing lights"
$812 - UK version
$850 - Additional Export tank filling
$853 - English language
$863 - European Dealer Directory
$877 - Elimination crossover operation
$880 - English / Operat. / Service Booklet
$998 - Starting internal control requirements
$255 - Sports Leather Steering Wheel
-LEDE - Leather interior
-PA5M - Passenger airbag short delay
+B110 - 110AH Battery

Im hoping the answer is close!

I did think about taking an 06 plate 730D for a test drive in the week, a garage is selling one on the way to my work, pull over and swap the MMI's do a bit of coding and take it back!! ha ha :rofl:

Hamilton1974
03-15-2012, 02:50 AM
Stuart, I guess you got the MMI I had been looking at as well... ;)

But go ahead and try it out with that 730d!! :rofl:

Blackbox760
03-15-2012, 03:04 AM
Stuart, I guess you got the MMI I had been looking at as well... ;)

But go ahead and try it out with that 730d!! :rofl:

just make sure he send you the correct item, I bought one as well and he send me a 2003 model after it was advertised as 2007 model... :(

politby
03-15-2012, 03:06 AM
{snip}

$630 - Telephone
$650 - CD ASK unit
$672 - CD changer 6 disc

{/snip}

I did think about taking an 06 plate 730D for a test drive in the week, a garage is selling one on the way to my work, pull over and swap the MMI's do a bit of coding and take it back!! ha ha :rofl:

I think you need to have the 633 option for Bluetooth to work. So you need to change the VO. Mine has the 638 option (facelift car with "crippled" Bluetooth) so I fully expect to have to change the VO as well when I put the new TCU in.

Hamilton1974
03-15-2012, 03:08 AM
Ouch!! Did you see pics of the sticker on the back that showed it was a 2007 as well?

Blackbox760
03-15-2012, 03:09 AM
Ouch!! Did you see pics of the sticker on the back that showed it was a 2007 as well?

nope my mistake, I took the guys word when he advertised it as a 2007, but in the meantime I found the correct MMI close to me at a scarpyard

JML6278
03-15-2012, 05:55 AM
Hi politby,

the thought had crossed my mind, they seem to be breaking a number of these cars, it does look suspicious!

Jeff, I painstakingly translated the VO options yesterday, I dont have the full list on this computer, I do have the full translated copy of just my VO though if your interested?

E65_#1001&U6FA%0475|7521643|7521902

*GL62 - E65 N62B44 RL ECE SITZMEMORY_FA STEPTRONIC SERVOTRONIC //745i EUR RL

$169 - EU3 Emissions standard
$216 - Servotronic
$229 - Active roll stabilisation to 03/05
$261 - Side airbags for rear passengers
$268 - Light-alloy wheels with mixed tires front: LM 245/50 R19, rear: LM 275/45 R19 (Styling 95)
$416 - 0415 as including electric side window sunshade.
$428 - Warning triangle and first aid kit
$431 - Mirror control
$441 - Smoking package
$453 - Active seat ventialtion front
$454 - Active seat ventilation rear
$456 - Electric comfort seats with memory for driver / front passenger
$460 - Electric seat adjustment in rear
$494 - Heated driver and front passenger seats
$496 - Heated rear seats
$502 - Headlight washers
$534 - Automatic air conditioning, "High" + Cooled storage compartment in center console
$601 - TV function including VCR connection
$609 - Navigation system without TV, new production use in conjunction with LA802 03/06
$630 - Telephone
$650 - CD ASK unit
$672 - CD changer 6 disc
$812 - UK version
$853 - English language
$863 - European Dealer Directory
$877 - Elimination crossover operation
$880 - English / Operat. / Service Booklet
$998 - Starting internal control requirements
$255 - Sports Leather Steering Wheel
-LEDE - Leather interior
-PA5M - Passenger airbag short delay
+B110 - 110AH Battery

StuartJohn, I think the answer could be to temporarily remove your VO for production date and replace it with a date close to the production date of the new MMI. Do you know what month and year your car was built? The beginning of your VO has #1001 prior to the options. Is your 7 a 2002 model possibly built 10/2001? If so I might try removing the #1001 and then adding something like #0906. If I'm correct that will tell NCS expert to use the MMI file that is correct for the year that the MMI was made (rather than the original production date that may be causing the coding index issue). I would also change it back after coding your MMI, as I am not sure what other effects it could have if you left the newer production date.

Considering that the most consistent information suggests that removing and adding something to our VO is the answer, I can't imagine that any of the other options like trim options or cd changer will be the right direction. The MMI is not an optional module.

I hope someone can try this, since I won't be able to until Saturday morning. Thoughts?

Jeff

stuartjohn24
03-15-2012, 06:14 AM
Hi Jeff,

Ahh I see what your getting at!

Yes the car was manufactured in October 2001. The production date of the new MMI is 19/06 WW/YY.

Is the manufacture date an editable option in the FA write menu of NCS expert? I will have a look tonight and see, I hope changing it wont completely mess the car up!

Could there be a safer way? I notice in the daten folder, find the file E65AT, open it with a text editor and near the top the #1001 is shown along with what appear to be other production codes, it appears to reference modules and their coding level index which I presume is what is telling NCS what its expecting to see.

Could an edit here be an option? I dont see any MMI references in the whole file but as you say the MMI is not an option so may not have the parameters in this file.

Although fisters profile allows you to choose which code level file to use it dosent work, could always be an issue with the profile I guess.

I have decoded the VO Paper has posted for reference, but I agree nothing appears to relate directly to the MMI.

$1CA - Selection of CO2 (Conformity of Production)
$216 - Servotronic
$226 - Sports suspension
$229 - Active roll stabilisation
$255 - Sports leather steering wheel
$319 - Integrated universal remote control
$330 - Sport package with sport suspension
$358 - Climate comfort windscreen (IR-coated glass plate)
$403 - Sliding glass sunroof
$416 - 0415 as including electric side window sunshade
$430 - Interior and exterior auto dimming mirrors
$431 - Mirror control
$441 - Smoking package
$449 -
$466 - Roof bar in body color
$470 - ISO-FIX child seat attachment
$481 - Sports seats
$502 - Headlight washers
$524 - Adaptive Light Control
$541 - Adaptive Cruise Control II
$596 - LM-E65-wheel sport package
$620 - Voice control for navigation, telephone and radio
$645 - Radio control U.S.
$672 - Audio-CD changer for 6 CDs and MP3 from MT
$691 - CD Mount
$693 - Preparing For U.S. satellite tuner types (GL63, GN63, GN83) from 09
$760 - Individual high-gloss Shadow Line
$845 - Audible seatbelt warning
$853 - English language
$925 - Shipping Protection Package
$992 - Control plate mounting
%0472
&V7SW
*GN63
-LEDE

I couldnt find $449, I may be translating from an old file....

Stuart

JML6278
03-15-2012, 07:00 AM
Hi Jeff,

Ahh I see what your getting at!

Yes the car was manufactured in October 2001. The production date of the new MMI is 19/06 WW/YY.

Is the manufacture date an editable option in the FA write menu of NCS expert? I will have a look tonight and see, I hope changing it wont completely mess the car up!

Could there be a safer way? I notice in the daten folder, find the file E65AT, open it with a text editor and near the top the #1001 is shown along with what appear to be other production codes, it appears to reference modules and their coding level index which I presume is what is telling NCS what its expecting to see.

Could an edit here be an option? I dont see any MMI references in the whole file but as you say the MMI is not an option so may not have the parameters in this file.

Although fisters profile allows you to choose which code level file to use it dosent work, could always be an issue with the profile I guess.

I have decoded the VO Paper has posted for reference, but I agree nothing appears to relate directly to the MMI.

$1CA - Selection of CO2 (Conformity of Production)
$216 - Servotronic
$226 - Sports suspension
$229 - Active roll stabilisation
$255 - Sports leather steering wheel
$319 - Integrated universal remote control
$330 - Sport package with sport suspension
$358 - Climate comfort windscreen (IR-coated glass plate)
$403 - Sliding glass sunroof
$416 - 0415 as including electric side window sunshade
$430 - Interior and exterior auto dimming mirrors
$431 - Mirror control
$441 - Smoking package
$449 -
$466 - Roof bar in body color
$470 - ISO-FIX child seat attachment
$481 - Sports seats
$502 - Headlight washers
$524 - Adaptive Light Control
$541 - Adaptive Cruise Control II
$596 - LM-E65-wheel sport package
$620 - Voice control for navigation, telephone and radio
$645 - Radio control U.S.
$672 - Audio-CD changer for 6 CDs and MP3 from MT
$691 - CD Mount
$693 - Preparing For U.S. satellite tuner types (GL63, GN63, GN83) from 09
$760 - Individual high-gloss Shadow Line
$845 - Audible seatbelt warning
$853 - English language
$925 - Shipping Protection Package
$992 - Control plate mounting
%0472
&V7SW
*GN63
-LEDE

I couldnt find $449, I may be translating from an old file....

Stuart

Stuart, I haven't had a chance to try what I'm suggesting. I don't see how temporarily removing and adding a new production date for the purpose of coding our MMI would cause any damage, but check around to see if anyone has had issues doing so.

I don't think you can edit that file directly but I may be wrong. I feel strongly at this point that this is our next course of action. Hopefully one of us will be brave and try this to see if it moves us ahead.

Read this PDF for editing VO using NCS expert: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/attachments/e63-bmw-m6-forum-bmw-m6-convertible-m6board-com/151702d1330387096-cic-place-now-problems-help-please-changing-20the-20vehicle-20order-20using-20ncs-1.pdf

If you look at step 12 you will see the production date #0905 at the top of the list. I believe you need to highlight that line (in your case it would be #1001) and hit the delete button. Not sure if you should add the new VO first or after the removal. But this is where our next test needs to take place.

Jeff

PAPER
03-15-2012, 07:50 AM

JML6278
03-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Paper, I had no issues coding my old MMI. Never got an error trying to read the MMI ECU. I also still have a backup of the trace file from my old MMI.

Since the coding index of the old MMI was 02 and the new MMI has a coding index of 04, I assume this has to at least be part of the problem. I didn't write it to the CAS or LMA, but I was able to remove my production VO (#0503), but when I tried to add (#0906) I got an error (forgot what the error message said). When I kept my VO production AND also tried to add the #0906 to the VO, I got an error saying that $216 wasn't valid for my VO. Again since I never coded the newer production VO (#0906) I don't know if I would have been able to read the MMI ECU. I pulled back to get more info.

Might have to hook my MMI up to a 750 code my options and preferences and then re-install it in my car. At least then I would have my Navigation and iPod list showing up rather than CD 1 through CD 6.

Anyone else making headway?

Jeff

stuartjohn24
03-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Hi guys,

Just tried changing the date in the VO....

BIG MISTAKE!

The CAS was happy but the LM has thrown its toys out, it has now gone into failsafe and I only get headlights, no other lights work! the lights come on automatically with the ignition.:mad:

I have tried writing the original FA code back but its not having it, error is:

COAPI-2060: coding faulty
LM_60,FA_AUFTRAG: ERROR_ECU_SUBFUNCTION_NOT_SUPPORTED_INVALID_FORMAT

when taking backups from the car it was LM_E65.C06, it now thinks its a .C05 I guess thats the problem, when trying to code the unit i get:

COAPI-2041: wrong ecu coding index
A_E65LM: CODIERINDEX = FFh

Im annoyed this looks to have bricked the LM module, trying to read information from it using tool32 throws errors.

Does anybody have any ideas how to get myself out of this mess? I would be most greatful!

PAPER
03-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Hi guys,

Just tried changing the date in the VO....

BIG MISTAKE!

The CAS was happy but the LM has thrown its toys out, it has now gone into failsafe and I only get headlights, no other lights work! the lights come on automatically with the ignition.:mad:

I have tried writing the original FA code back but its not having it, error is:

COAPI-2060: coding faulty
LM_60,FA_AUFTRAG: ERROR_ECU_SUBFUNCTION_NOT_SUPPORTED_INVALID_FORMAT

when taking backups from the car it was LM_E65.C06, it now thinks its a .C05 I guess thats the problem, when trying to code the unit i get:

COAPI-2041: wrong ecu coding index
A_E65LM: CODIERINDEX = FFh

Im annoyed this looks to have bricked the LM module, trying to read information from it using tool32 throws errors.

Does anybody have any ideas how to get myself out of this mess? I would be most greatful!

Did you change the VO in your CAS & LMA ?

stuartjohn24
03-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Hi Paper,

Yes the CAS took the new FA/VO number but when i went to program it to the LMA it gave that error and I now cannot write or read the FA number, I cant read the coding file either.

Tool32 does talk to the unit and it gets the information etc... but actually trying to get values back like the VIN, FA etc... all return errors.

I will try and re-flash the unit using WinKFP and try and treat it as a new unit and hope that works.

All I done was change the 1001 code to 0903 to see if that worked.

When i try coding it back to 1001 it wont code it.

This is turning into a nightmare!

JML6278
03-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Hi Paper,

Yes the CAS took the new FA/VO number but when i went to program it to the LMA it gave that error and I now cannot write or read the FA number, I cant read the coding file either.

Tool32 does talk to the unit and it gets the information etc... but actually trying to get values back like the VIN, FA etc... all return errors.

I will try and re-flash the unit using WinKFP and try and treat it as a new unit and hope that works.

Stuart, I'm really sorry that I suggested the production date change. I wish I had a quick fix for the crapstorm this has unleashed. I hope that you're able to get this resolved quickly.

Jeff

stuartjohn24
03-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Hi Jeff,

No worries! I can see where it was progressing and I convinced myself this is the correct way to go, on the E90 forum they also change the production date in the VO to retrofit the CIC kits.

I did read the LMA unit can be sensitive, I followed instructions in a pdf, guess i was unlucky! I will have a go tomorrow and try to code the unit using WinFKP hopefully I can revive it, otherwise its looking like an excuse to do an LM2 retrofit so I can enable welcome lights!

Will keep you lot posted, looks like it may be easier to program this MMI in another car! what a pain!

I still think the production date change in the VO is the correct route, i was just unlucky!

One thing i was going to ask, is dashsoft able to code the MMI when its in this situation?

Cheers!

PAPER
03-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Hi Paper,

try using the expert profile , it should set everything back to
how it was before .

JML6278
03-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Any news on our issue? Would love to hear from someone who has successfully used NCS Expert to code a facelift MMI.

Stuart, Did Paper's suggestion get you back to where you were before trying to update the production date?

Jeff

stuartjohn24
03-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Hi Jeff and Paper,

no, I had already tried the expert profile, that's what I used in the first place. INPA will not communicate with the module either it's looking like its dead.

To re-cap I cannot update the FA using any profiles, I cannot read or code the LMA. Tool32 and INPA are unable to communicate.

The only thing left is WinFKP, I am having trouble setting this up, I haven't allowed enough space on my virtual machine (as I'm coding the car using my MacBook) so will do a fresh xp install later tonight when the kids are in bed and start from scratch.

Jeff I have seen on other forums that you can fool NCS into thinking you have a different production date. Go and read the FA from the CAS like normal, click enter FA and change the hash bit with the date click ok but DON'T CODE IT TO THE CAS! you will notice now in NCS under FA that the code has changed. Try reading the MMI again now. It might work.

However I have noticed my LMA is throwing an error about the coding index is wrong I would guess the MMI would be doing this of it was the case?

Let me know how you get on! Remember don't actually code it, or you may end up like me!

Stuart

JML6278
03-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Hi Jeff and Paper,

no, I had already tried the expert profile, that's what I used in the first place. INPA will not communicate with the module either it's looking like its dead.

To re-cap I cannot update the FA using any profiles, I cannot read or code the LMA. Tool32 and INPA are unable to communicate.

The only thing left is WinFKP, I am having trouble setting this up, I haven't allowed enough space on my virtual machine (as I'm coding the car using my MacBook) so will do a fresh xp install later tonight when the kids are in bed and start from scratch.

Jeff I have seen on other forums that you can fool NCS into thinking you have a different production date. Go and read the FA from the CAS like normal, click enter FA and change the hash bit with the date click ok but DON'T CODE IT TO THE CAS! you will notice now in NCS under FA that the code has changed. Try reading the MMI again now. It might work.

However I have noticed my LMA is throwing an error about the coding index is wrong I would guess the MMI would be doing this of it was the case?

Let me know how you get on! Remember don't actually code it, or you may end up like me!

Stuart

Stuart, Thanks for the tip. I will try it late tonight or tomorrow. I definitely won't write anything to the CAS or LMA.

PAPER
03-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Hi Jeff and Paper,

Stuart

sorry to see your still having trouble . I did a little research
But didn't find much on your problem with the LMA beside
people saying to work with the VO to get it back .
I will keep looking for you .

PAPER
03-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Hi Jeff and Paper,

Stuart

try this .

READ IN EXPERTMODE ( VERY IMPORTANT )
1) delete the entry starting with a # (eg # 0101)
(Del key on the keyboard)

2) Add a new entry: # 0904 ( DO NOT WRITE TO CAR )
After you changed the FA you click on the "back" button so that it takes the changes

# Xxxx is the way the production date. There are perhaps other
values ***8203;***8203;as # 0904 but with this it worked in my VFL. So take that!
When I was # 0101 in, although my car is from 09/2002, so it
can be that there are only certain values, where there has been
a "restructuring" of the control devices. Maybe start with the
program as # 1004 # 0904 instead of nothing.

stuartjohn24
03-17-2012, 03:22 AM
Hi Paper,

Thanks for looking, I haven't found much on sorting the LMA out, only retrofits in the E60 etc...

If you look in the folder DATEN\ and find file E65AT.000 make a copy and open it with notepad or something, in the top third of the file is what look like the production dates #1001, etc

I think if you choose one from this list you should be ok. You will also see lists of files for each date. This looks to be the .C0x coding levels it's expecting to see for that particular production date.

My guess is the LMA module has been replaced in the past and I'm now using the wrong files.

I will dig out the link but there is a reference to it here:

Using latest tips from 4711, I "simulated" change of ZK from #0606 (which my E91 has) to #0307 in NCS-EXPERT. In the ECU-list FRM then changed to NFRM and I was able to do proper coding.

This is where a newer FRM module was upgraded on an E90.

Have you tried coding the MMI with the edited production date?

JML6278
03-17-2012, 04:28 AM
try this .

READ IN EXPERTMODE ( VERY IMPORTANT )
1) delete the entry starting with a # (eg # 0101)
(Del key on the keyboard)

2) Add a new entry: # 0904 ( DO NOT WRITE TO CAR )
After you changed the FA you click on the "back" button so that it takes the changes

# Xxxx is the way the production date. There are perhaps other
values ***8203;***8203;as # 0904 but with this it worked in my VFL. So take that!
When I was # 0101 in, although my car is from 01/2002, so it
can be that there are only certain values, where there has been
a "restructuring" of the control devices. Maybe start with the
program as # 1004 # 0904 instead of nothing.

Paper, I don't understand how if I change the production date to #0904 and my facelift MMI is built in 2006 I would be in any better shape than with the #0503 (5/28/2003) that my car was actually manufactured? Any of the facelift MMI's we are using will have a production date of 3/2005 or later so this applies to all of us.

Jeff

JML6278
03-17-2012, 04:36 AM
Hi Paper,

Thanks for looking, I haven't found much on sorting the LMA out, only retrofits in the E60 etc...

If you look in the folder DATEN\ and find file E65AT.000 make a copy and open it with notepad or something, in the top third of the file is what look like the production dates #1001, etc

I think if you choose one from this list you should be ok. You will also see lists of files for each date. This looks to be the .C0x coding levels it's expecting to see for that particular production date.

My guess is the LMA module has been replaced in the past and I'm now using the wrong files.

Using latest tips from 4711, I "simulated" change of ZK from #0606 (which my E91 has) to #0307 in NCS-EXPERT. In the ECU-list FRM then changed to NFRM and I was able to do proper coding.

Stuart, I haven't tried editing the production date as of yet. I'm still unsure about changing the production date unless I get more information about what dates are valid. I don't want to put in any date that is earlier than the actual production date of my facelift MMI or at the very least later than 3/2005 (That's when they first started with the facelift MMI's). I forgot to ask, but why did you use the date of #0903 when you coded the CAS and LMA?

PAPER
03-17-2012, 05:38 AM
Paper, I don't understand how if I change the production date to #0904 and my facelift MMI is built in 2006 I would be in any better shape than with the #0503 (5/28/2003) that my car was actually manufactured? Any of the facelift MMI's we are using will have a production date of 3/2005 or later so this applies to all of us.

Jeff

I can confirm it works, you have to play with the month & use 04 as the year.

PAPER
03-17-2012, 05:41 AM
Hi Paper,

Its 4:39 am here I have been sitting in my car for hours toying with this. Call me & Will fix your car. I Will pm you my # right now

PAPER
03-17-2012, 05:54 AM
Ok I'm going to bed! !!

politby
03-17-2012, 05:56 AM
Just want to say that the willingness to help each other out everyone is showing here is impressing the h*ll out of me!

I'll probably be needing to call someone when I have swapped TCUs and coding bricked the engine :)

JML6278
03-17-2012, 06:04 AM
Its 4:39 am here I have been sitting in my car for hours toying with this. Call me & Will fix your car. I Will pm you my # right now

Paper, Have you been able to code the new MMI? Not sure if you went to sleep, so I didn't want to call if you did.

Thanks,

Jeff

PAPER
03-17-2012, 06:16 AM
paper, have you been able to code the new mmi? Not sure if you went to sleep, so i didn't want to call if you did.

Thanks,

jeff
YES I HAVE :D
call me now

stuartjohn24
03-17-2012, 07:21 AM
Hey guys! I hear you have solved it!? What production date did you use??

PAPER
03-17-2012, 07:38 AM
hey guys! I hear you have solved it!? What production date did you use??

03 / 04 ( #0304 )

stuartjohn24
03-17-2012, 07:46 AM
03 / 04 ( #0304 )

NICE just tried and works perfect! Will edit file and program later. Can you code with the expert profile? Or did you edit the expert profile to allow coding?

Got there at last! If only I didn't actually try writing it! Argh! Anyway just LMA to fix now! Cheers!

PAPER
03-17-2012, 01:12 PM
NICE just tried and works perfect! Will edit file and program later. Can you code with the expert profile? Or did you edit the expert profile to allow coding?

Got there at last! If only I didn't actually try writing it! Argh! Anyway just LMA to fix now! Cheers!

No I cannot code with expertmode.
You should try recoding your LMA in expertmode & changing your VO back

stuartjohn24
03-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Hi Paper,

I have edited my MMI trace file in NCS dummy and wrote it back to the MMI, all working perfectly! I have managed to code all that I need for the time being, on the look out for a TCU now! Maybe after a new LMA module!

I edited the expert profile to allow coding. So was a simple task of just reading the FA editing it and then coding the MMI.

Really happy we got this sorted! Well done to everyone involved!

Jeff, have you managed to code yours yet?

I have tried the LMA again with the expert profile, it's really not having it! I notice once the FA is read from the CAS it wants to code the LMA at .C05, however when I was coding it to remove the cold bulb check for the angel eyes (as I've fitted LED bulbs, they flicker briefly at night when the ignition is first switched on) it was reading a .C06 coding level which makes me think it's not the original unit.

I will try playing with the FA date codes. I want to take the LMA out to check the label and ensure when I use WinKFP I'm flashing the right file!

Have you upgraded your TCU now paper? Is it just a VIN change that's required?

PAPER
03-17-2012, 03:29 PM
Hi Paper,

I have edited my MMI trace file in NCS dummy and wrote it back to the MMI, all working perfectly! I have managed to code all that I need for the time being, on the look out for a TCU now! Maybe after a new LMA module!

I edited the expert profile to allow coding. So was a simple task of just reading the FA editing it and then coding the MMI.

I have tried the LMA again with the expert profile, it's really not having it! I notice once the FA is read from the CAS it wants to code the LMA at .C05, however when I was coding it to remove the cold bulb check for the angel eyes (as I've fitted LED bulbs, they flicker briefly at night when the ignition is first switched on) it was reading a .C06 coding level which makes me think it's not the original unit.

I will try playing with the FA date codes. I want to take the LMA out to check the label and ensure when I use WinKFP I'm flashing the right file!

You should post how to code your MMI with NCS Dummy , for those that want to do there's .

My TCU is more then just coding the VIN . I have to figure out the wiring for the TCU plug & then re-wire into the New TCU . I have the plugs needed , i just haven't started to figure out the wiring yet

PAPER
03-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Hi Paper,

WHEN YOU READ YOUR MMI dID YOU SEE ANY LINES WITH IPOD IN YOUR TRC FILE ???

stuartjohn24
03-18-2012, 03:16 AM

Hi Paper,

Yep, I have the following:

13D9 IPOD_ADD

Is this for the factory IPOD kit?

I also have AUX too, I hear somewhere that this wires into the ASK unit but I guess only on the facelift one!? I couldnt find much info on WDS.

Ahh I see, the wiring dosent bother me as I do that for a living, it was the software that was worrying me a little!

I understand you have a slightly different setup because you are in the US, your TCU dosent have antenna connections on? it connects to an AMPS unit?

Im sure it can be worked out, the TCU is in the MOST ring, so much of the data is handled here, it should be a case of matching up the other connections, like the SOS button, power, CAN for the keypad, bluetooth antenna etc...the rest of the stuff for the handsets can be ditched.

I know ACE had the old wireless siemens handsets, and he used the wireless antenna for the handsets on the parcel shelf as the bluetooth antenna by plugging it in the BT antenna on the TCU.

The BT antenna is normally fitted under the arm rest compartment.

Yes I will do an NCS expert tutorial if anyone else is interested? :)

JML6278
03-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Hi Paper,

Stuart, I have updated my MMI successfully. I had a wedding yesterday and couldn't respond, but it was very easy thanks to Papers hard work. I have written up a step-by-step list for anyone else who has the issue going forward. I will post it in a minute or so. Glad you're in better shape than early yesterday.

Jeff

JML6278
03-18-2012, 08:38 AM
I want to start off by saying that I did not come up with the solution below. I worked with Paper who is the one who figured it out. So all thanks should go to him. I have just written out the steps for anyone else who has the problem going forward. While this has been specifically written to address coding issues when retrofitting a newer (facelift) MMI, it would also work for other modules. Here it is:

1. Open NCS Expert, Choose File then Load Profile then select the Fister Profile then Click OK

2. Click F1 (VIN/ZCS/FA) to read vehicle data

3. Click F3 (ZCS/FA f. ECU) to read FA from ECU

4. Choose chassis model from list (E65) then click OK

5. Choose the ECU to read VO from (CAS) then click OK

6. The Model, VIN, and VO should then be displayed at the top. Click F2 (Enter FA) to modify VO

7. Choose chassis model from list (E65) then click OK

8. Verify that the VIN is correct (Note: the last digit is the checksum). Click OK

9. Highlight production date in FA list (#0503) then click Delete button on the keyboard (#0503 is my production year, so yours will most likely be different)

10. Enter new production date (#0904) in Attribute box then click Add then OK. (#0904 worked for me, but I started at #1204 and worked down until I no longer got a faulty VIN error)

11. After the VO has been changed successfully you will be able to select the F6 (Back) button. (Make sure the new production date is shown in the VO at the top)

12. Select F4 (Process ECU)

13. Select MMIGT from the Choose ECU list then click OK, and click OK again after Enter SGET Data pop-up window appears.

14. Click F4 (Read ECU). If everything goes as it should you won't get the dreaded Error by setting a ECU COAPI-1000: error and the NETTODAT.TRC pop-up window will appear. Click OK to close the pop-up window.

15. Navigate to your NCS Expert work folder (C:\NCSEXPER\WORK) and open your FSW_PSW.TRC file with notepad and make your changes and then save the file as FSW_PSW.MAN

16. Select F2 (Change Job) then choose SG_CODIEREN then click OK

17. Verify that the Jobname is SG_CODIEREN and the ECU is MMIGT

18. Select F3 (Execute Job)

19. If the job runs successfully Job Ended will show under the Get Coded section and your MMI will reboot. If you want to make additional changes you can make them in the FSW_PSW_MAN and then just click F3 (Execute Job) again. This applies only if you keep NCS Expert open and keep the laptop connected.

20. Check VO to make sure it has changed back to your real production date. If it hasn't then change it back.

JML6278
03-18-2012, 08:42 AM

I also have the IPOD_ADD in my MMI trace file, but I remember adding it to my VO prior to installing the new MMI. I added +IPOD to my VO if that helps.

Blackbox760
03-18-2012, 08:44 AM
thank you very much

PAPER
03-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Hi Paper,

Yep, I have the following:

13D9 IPOD_ADD

Is this for the factory IPOD kit?

I also have AUX too, I hear somewhere that this wires into the ASK unit but I guess only on the facelift one!? I couldnt find much info on WDS.

Ahh I see, the wiring dosent bother me as I do that for a living, it was the software that was worrying me a little!

I understand you have a slightly different setup because you are in the US, your TCU dosent have antenna connections on? it connects to an AMPS unit?

Im sure it can be worked out, the TCU is in the MOST ring, so much of the data is handled here, it should be a case of matching up the other connections, like the SOS button, power, CAN for the keypad, bluetooth antenna etc...the rest of the stuff for the handsets can be ditched.

I know ACE had the old wireless siemens handsets, and he used the wireless antenna for the handsets on the parcel shelf as the bluetooth antenna by plugging it in the BT antenna on the TCU.

The BT antenna is normally fitted under the arm rest compartment.

Yes I will do an NCS expert tutorial if anyone else is interested? :)

Yes I need to check WDS so I can figure the wiring & change
it so I can plug in my New TCU .
( I really need to do this , I just hate WDS wiring schematic )

AS for the AUX = AUX input On the back of the ASK unit .
Should be pin
C2 = Left
C7 = right
and C8 is ground . But it still needs to be tested .

JML6278
03-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Yes I need to check WDS so I can figure the wiring & change
it so I can plug in my New TCU .
( I really need to do this , I just hate WDS wiring schematic )

AS for the AUX = AUX input On the back of the ASK unit .
Should be pin
C2 = Left
C7= right
and C8 is ground . But it still needs to be tested .

Paper, I may have to do the TCU retrofit. When I retrofitted the new I drive controller with the leather knob and extra buttons, I might have done something to the connection from my center console phone (well actually a BTUM CPT-9000). The BTUM gets power and I can pair my iPhone to the BTUM, but then the MMI shows that it's reading data but it gets stuck there. There is also a red box (1 of the 3 boxes that's at the top of the MMI on the right). Normally I see a green light in 1 of the boxes.

Does this mean I might have crimped or severed one of the wires under he center console that lets the BTUM communicate with the TCU or maybe the antenna wire? It's a shame that after all this I don't have a working phone. Arghhhh!! Not as tough to deal with as Stuarts problem, but frustrating that it may have been a self inflicted wound. I really dread taking the center console apart, so I'm hoping that I did something software wise (most likely not) to screw it up. Any suggestions will as always be appreciated.

Has anyone documented which TCU's will work for this retrofit. I see one on eBay from 6/12/2005. Will that work? Has anyone figured out the pin connections for the 54-pin connector? I will take on this project if we can all agree to exactly what is needed, and where to start.

Thanks, and sorry the post is excruciatingly long.

Jeff

JML6278
03-19-2012, 04:41 PM

Not sure if you to this or not, but when I added my iPod, I got the iPod list (Playlist, Artist, Album, etc, instead of CD1 - CD6) what's interesting is I never saw iPod_List in my MMI trace file (I did search). I'm not sure how it defaulted to that without me activating that feature.

Anyone else get the iPod menu without doing anything?

PAPER
03-19-2012, 06:05 PM
I have been told that some of the FaceLift MMI's do not play well with the BTUM, hence the reason others do the TCU also.

PAPER
03-19-2012, 06:09 PM
If you have time post a pic of the TCU in your car. The side with the plugs & the other end

nicklash
03-19-2012, 06:18 PM
i need help not that much of a tech but want the use of my iphone in my beemer

nicklash
03-19-2012, 06:21 PM
how much does it cost to do

PAPER
03-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Not sure if you to this or not, but when I added my iPod, I got the iPod list (Playlist, Artist, Album, etc, instead of CD1 - CD6) what's interesting is I never saw iPod_List in my MMI trace file (I did search). I'm not sure how it defaulted to that without me activating that feature.

Anyone else get the iPod menu without doing anything?

If you have time post a pic of the TCU in your car. The side with the plugs & the other end

JML6278
03-19-2012, 08:19 PM

Paper, can I get the information about the TCU from INPA or the secret service menu? What do I have to do to get access to the TCU? Is it dificult to remove the trim?

How can I find out what models work (have the full Bluetooth stack)? Is there a date that they switched over? I can get one on eBay from 6/2005 will that work. I have an iPhone (GSM) how can I be sure that the TCU is compatible?

Back to the BTUM for a second. The red box (signal strength????) is that more likely a BTUM compatibility issue or do you think I messed up the antenna or something else under the center console?

Do you or has anyone posted a wiring diagram for the 54-pin plug if I have the 26-pin and 12-pin connectors on my TCU?

What else do I need in addition to the TCU? Connectors? MOST adapter?

Thanks Paper you really helped us out a lot.

PAPER
03-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Paper, can I get the information about the TCU from INPA or the secret service menu? What do I have to do to get access to the TCU? Is it dificult to remove the trim?

How can I find out what models work (have the full Bluetooth stack)? Is there a date that they switched over? I can get one on eBay from 6/2005 will that work. I have an iPhone (GSM) how can I be sure that the TCU is compatible?

Back to the BTUM for a second. The red box (signal strength????) is that more likely a BTUM compatibility issue or do you think I messed up the antenna or something else under the center console?

Do you or has anyone posted a wiring diagram for the 54-pin plug if I have the 26-pin and 12-pin connectors on my TCU?

What else do I need in addition to the TCU? Connectors? MOST adapter?

Thanks Paper you really helped us out a lot.

YES I think you messed up your wiring , but the only way to
know for sure is to check it . Yes The red box means no signal .
( remember some people have said the BTUM does not work with some FaceLift MMI's )

I believe from 06 up will work , but I am not positive . ( the TCU I bought is from an 08 )

the TCU is in the trunk above the L7 AMP . So you will have to remove that cover to get to it .

Nope nobody has posted the wiring for the 26pin 12pin swap to the 54pin .

TO ANSWER YOUR OTHER QUESTIONS I NEED PIC'S OF YOUR TCU
FRONT , BACK , SIDES OR ANYPLACE IT HAS SOMETHING PLUGGED IN IT .

PS; I'm still waiting for your PM regarding Tool32

JML6278
03-20-2012, 03:32 PM
YES I think you messed up your wiring , but the only way to
know for sure is to check it . Yes The red box means no signal .
( remember some people have said the BTUM does not work with some FaceLift MMI's )

I believe from 06 up will work , but I am not positive . ( the TCU I bought is from an 08 )

the TCU is in the trunk above the L7 AMP . So you will have to remove that cover to get to it .

Nope nobody has posted the wiring for the 26pin 12pin swap to the 54pin .

TO ANSWER YOUR OTHER QUESTIONS I NEED PIC'S OF YOUR TCU
FRONT , BACK , SIDES OR ANYPLACE IT HAS SOMETHING PLUGGED IN IT .

PS; I'm still waiting for your PM regarding Tool32

Can you send me what you hav in regards to WDS. I'd like to get started on figuring out the wiring changes that will be necessary. I'm leaning towards the retrofit TCU, and I may not even bother trying to fix the Possible wiring issue under my center console (probably a crimped wire, but rather have the Bluetooth built into the car.

Thanks,

Jeff

PAPER
03-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Can you send me what you hav in regards to WDS. I'd like to get started on figuring out the wiring changes that will be necessary. I'm leaning towards the retrofit TCU, and I may not even bother trying to fix the Possible wiring issue under my center console (probably a crimped wire, but rather have the Bluetooth built into the car.

Thanks,

Jeff

here is there website . I haven't started cause I haven't had any free time .
I hope you share your info if your successful .

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/e65/Complete_vehicle/body/Audio,_Video,_Telephone,_Navigation_%28MOST_networ k%29/

PS: I still need pic's so I can tell you what else you need besides changing the wiring .

JML6278
03-20-2012, 04:17 PM

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/e65/Complete_vehicle/body/Audio,_Video,_Telephone,_Navigation_%28MOST_networ k%29/

PS: I still need pic's so I can tell you what else you need besides changing the wiring .

Won't be able to get into the trunk for a couple of days to take pics. That link you sent me makes everything clear as what to do next. Lol. Maybe I need a drink first. Shouldn't there be a picture of the connectors showing what each wire connects to (mic, power, etc)? And then we get the same for the 54-pin.

I will get you the tools32 write up as soon as I try it again and am successful. Make sure you have the executable inside your EDIABAS folder and that it opens without error. You don't need to be connected to the car to do this part.

Jeff

Rostman
03-21-2012, 12:23 AM
Whats the difference between TCU and TCU 1.5?

JML6278
03-21-2012, 05:16 AM
Whats the difference between TCU and TCU 1.5?

I'm not positive but I think TCU 1.5 has the full Bluetooth stack, while earlier versions had either limited or no Bluetooth functionality.

JML6278
03-21-2012, 05:30 AM

Paper, I will definitely share any information I come across or if I do attempt the retrofit, I will do another write-up like I did for the NCS Expert MMI retrofit.

I've seen on some forums (unfortunately no e65/e66 forums) that instead of doing the wiring they bought a 26-pin to 54-pin connector. I know we would need a different one then they used, but is there a place that makes custom connectors or did BMW ever make one? (I know there is no BMW supported retrofit for the TCU so probably not).

I'm not comfortable translating the WDS on spaghetticoder.org. Didn't someone already do this successfully (in the US, I know Stuart did it, but wiring will be different for US)

Thanks

PAPER
03-21-2012, 09:16 AM
Ya WDS is hard to follow for some people.
I haven't had the time it takes to check the wiring.

PAPER
03-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Paper, I will definitely share any information I come across or if I do attempt the retrofit, I will do another write-up like I did for the NCS Expert MMI retrofit.

I've seen on some forums (unfortunately no e65/e66 forums) that instead of doing the wiring they bought a 26-pin to 54-pin connector. I know we would need a different one then they used, but is there a place that makes custom connectors or did BMW ever make one? (I know there is no BMW supported retrofit for the TCU so probably not).

I'm not comfortable translating the WDS on spaghetticoder.org. Didn't someone already do this successfully (in the US, I know ACE and Stuart did it, but wiring will be different for US)

Thanks

I might have something on the wiring tonight

JML6278
03-21-2012, 09:03 PM
I might have something on the wiring tonight

Awesome. Trying to find TCU on eBay. Do I need to worry about GSM vs. CDMA? My iPhone is on AT&T (GSM), but I might switch over to Verizon (CDMA) when my contract ends. Haven't seen anything that denotes CDMA vs. GSM on the TCU's I've looked at on eBay. Looking up part numbers on realoem.com doesn't provide any more information.

Thanks,

Jeff

P.S. I haven't forgot about tools32. Did you check to make sure you have it?

PAPER
03-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Yes I have tool32.
I know cdma works in our cars. ( I installed 1 already )
I'm not sure about GSM, I don't see why not though

JML6278
03-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Yes I have tool32.
I know cdma works in our cars. ( I installed 1 already )
I'm not sure about GSM, I don't see why not though

How can I tell when looking on eBay whether it's CDMA or GSM?

PAPER
03-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Look up the part # & it Will say

PAPER
03-22-2012, 12:17 AM
Ok HERE IS THE TCU UPGRADE WIRING
THIS IS FOR 02 & SOME 03 745LI'S

12 PIN ---------------TO -------54 PIN

1 BLACK & RED----------------15
7 BLACK------------------------13
8 YELLOW-----------------------12

26 PIN-------------------------TO -----54 PIN

1 RED & GREEN -----------------------17
2 BROWN & BLACK--------------------36
9 BLACK INSULATED------------------21
10 BROWN & WHITE-------------------19
19 WHITE-------------------------------50
20 GREY---------------------------------31
23 WHITE--------------------------------1

YOU WILL STILL NEED TO BUY THE BLUETOOTH ANTENNA WIRE
THAT CONNECTS TO YOUR TCU & PROBABLY THE BLUETOOTH MODULE.
( THERE IS A MODULE IN YOUR CAR EITHER UNDER THE CENTER CONSOLE
OR IN THE REAR PACKAGE TRAY ) BUT YOU CAN LOOK FOR IT OR JUST BUY 1 .

I HOPE YOU ALL ENJOY THIS !!!

FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT DO THIS PLEASE POST YOUR RESULTS ...

PS: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE DISCONNECTED THE CRADLE IN YOUR CENTER CONSOLE !!!

ALSO DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK , I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF ANYTHING IS DAMAGED ON YOUR CAR !!!

JML6278
03-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Ok HERE IS THE TCU UPGRADE WIRING
THIS IS FOR 02 & SOME 03 745LI'S

12 PIN ---------------TO -------54 PIN

1 BLACK & RED----------------15
7 BLACK------------------------13
8 YELLOW-----------------------12

26 PIN-------------------------TO -----54 PIN

1 RED & GREEN -----------------------17
2 BROWN & BLACK--------------------36
9 BLACK INSULATED------------------21
10 BROWN & WHITE-------------------19
19 WHITE-------------------------------50
20 GREY---------------------------------31
23 WHITE--------------------------------1

YOU WILL STILL NEED TO BUY THE BLUETOOTH ANTENNA WIRE
THAT CONNECTS TO YOUR TCU & PROBABLY THE BLUETOOTH MODULE.
( THERE IS A MODULE IN YOUR CAR EITHER UNDER THE CENTER CONSOLE
OR IN THE REAR PACKAGE TRAY ) BUT YOU CAN LOOK FOR IT OR JUST BUY 1 .

I HOPE YOU ALL ENJOY THIS !!!

FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT DO THIS PLEASE POST YOUR RESULTS ...

Great work Paper! My 745Li was built on 05/28/2003. How do I confirm that the wiring is the same as what you have? What other parts did you have to get other than the TCU? Could you post links to where you got everything.

Thanks again,

Jeff

PAPER
03-22-2012, 12:38 AM
http://www.ebay.com/

PAPER
03-22-2012, 12:49 AM
Great work Paper! My 745Li was built on 05/28/2003. How do I confirm that the wiring is the same as what you have? What other parts did you have to get other than the TCU? Could you post links to where you got everything.

Thanks again,

Jeff

HERE !!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-NAVIGATION-BLUETHOOTH-BLUETOOTH-ANTENNA-M3-OEM-67K-/290684598596?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ABMW&hash=item43ae26f944&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E60-E65-E66-E90-TCU-TELEMATICS-CONTROL-UNIT-OEM-750I-750LI-760-745-/280836713429?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41632c2bd5&vxp=mtr

PAPER
03-22-2012, 09:25 AM
I forgot to mention that you might have to add $639 to your VO

JML6278
03-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks,

Jeff

stuartjohn24
03-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Hi Paper,

Thanks for posting the wiring details, that looks to tie up with what I had started doing, thanks for that!

Whats the current status with your retrofit? have you wired yours up and begun coding yet? I hear these units are difficult to code to the car and BMW dealers are unable to do it themselves.

Im lookng at a TCU at the moment it has part number 84109149615, it looks to be used on the 1,3,5,6,7 and X5, its got TCU 1.5 ECE on the label and was removed from an E61.

I recall in an earlier post that one from an E60 or E90 wouldnt work, if the part is used on so many models can it be re-programmed and coded to suit my E65?

PAPER
03-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Hi Paper,

Thanks for posting the wiring details, that looks to tie up with what I had started doing, thanks for that!

Whats the current status with your retrofit? have you wired yours up and begun coding yet? I hear these units are difficult to code to the car and BMW dealers are unable to do it themselves.

Im lookng at a TCU at the moment it has part number 84109149615, it looks to be used on the 1,3,5,6,7 and X5, its got TCU 1.5 ECE on the label and was removed from an E61.

I recall in an earlier post that one from an E60 or E90 wouldnt work, if the part is used on so many models can it be re-programmed and coded to suit my E65?

current status = installed , MMI coded & working :D

It is entirely up to you to decide whether to buy that unit or not .
I can only confirm the CDMA unit I bought works . Although I
honestly don't see why a GSM unit wouldn't work . As for re-programming
what do you mean ???

I
= All I can say is I had no problem

PAPER
03-22-2012, 10:38 PM

JML6278
03-23-2012, 02:47 AM
Jeff

stuartjohn24
03-23-2012, 07:18 AM
Hey guys,

Steady on, we are all working to achieve the same result here, it would be much better if we worked as a group to get this sorted. While I agree its best to go away and work things out for yourself, its always easier to ask someone that is more knowledgeable.

I was a bit put out when my contribution to the MMI was not mentioned earlier on this page but I dont mind, Im just glad its now fixed!

Anyway onto the subject of the original post!.... I have looked more closely at the TCU upgrade, while what PAPER has listed is correct, it only applies to the US. The ECE variant is different (with respect to the 12 and 26 pin connectors).

If anyone is interested I believe the 2002 - 2004 pinouts for ECE modules are as follows:

26 Pin--------54 Pin--------Description/Function
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
13------------17-------------Supply, terminal 30 - Fuse F79
17------------12-------------Signal, CAN_High - Phone Board
18------------13-------------Signal, CAN_Low - Phone Board
26------------36-------------Ground - X13094

12 Pin 54 Pin Description/Function
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1--------------21------------Shield, Microphone
4--------------15------------Safety integration module - SIM
7--------------1-------------Signal, Microphone
8--------------19------------Signal, Microphone
9--------------31------------SOS Button - S_NOTR
10-------------50------------SOS Button - L_NOTR

The pinouts of the ECE and US variants of the new TCU 1.5 look the same, the 54 pin functions are the same as what PAPER has listed previously. although I have power on pin 17 of the 54 pin connector?

Now I just need to buy a new TCU! :bigpimp:

PAPER
03-23-2012, 08:32 AM
Ok 1'st I typed all the info up from my Ipad while in my car doing the actual work , so that is the reason I Didn't state what each wire consist of ( such as Mic, ground, power & so on ) Also I didn't think it would matter considering the corresponding Pin for each plug was posted. ( then I edited some of my post when I was in front of my computer )

2nd the connections I left out are not being used so I see no reason to mention them.

3rd I stated to unplug the eject box simply for safety reasons, just Incase some 1 accidently hit the wrong wire. ( so nothing could be ruined )

PAPER
03-23-2012, 08:39 AM
Hey guys,

Steady on, we are all working to achieve the same result here, it would be much better if we worked as a group to get this sorted. While I agree its best to go away and work things out for yourself, its always easier to ask someone that is more knowledgeable.

I was a bit put out when my contribution to the MMI was not mentioned earlier on this page but I dont mind, Im just glad its now fixed!

Anyway onto the subject of the original post!.... I have looked more closely at the TCU upgrade, while what PAPER has listed is correct, it only applies to the US. The ECE variant is different (with respect to the 12 and 26 pin connectors).

If anyone is interested I believe the 2002 - 2004 pinouts for ECE modules are as follows:

26 Pin--------54 Pin--------Description/Function
13------------17-------------Supply, terminal 30 - Fuse F79
17------------12-------------Signal, CAN_High - Phone Board
18------------13-------------Signal, CAN_Low - Phone Board
26------------36-------------Ground - X13094

12 Pin 54 Pin Description/Function
1--------------21------------Shield, Microphone
4--------------15------------Safety integration module - SIM
7--------------1-------------Signal, Microphone
8--------------19------------Signal, Microphone
9--------------31------------SOS Button - S_NOTR
10-------------50------------SOS Button - L_NOTR

The pinouts of the ECE and US variants of the new TCU 1.5 look the same, the 54 pin functions are the same as what PAPER has listed previously. although I have power on pin 17 of the 54 pin connector?

Now I just need to buy a new TCU! :bigpimp:

Stuart I must apologize I should have stated my post was for the U.S. Version. I am only halfway done with the ECE version, now I don't have to finish on it since you posted the info. ( so thanks )

stuartjohn24
03-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Stuart I must apologize I should have stated my post was for the U.S. Version. I am only halfway done with the ECE version, now I don't have to finish on it since you posted the info. ( so thanks )

Hi Paper,

Thats OK,
Do you program your VIN using Tool32??? I hear it can be difficult, the NAVI03 was pretty hard!

Cheers!

PAPER
03-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Hi Paper,

Thats OK, I have just noticed my wiring matches ACE's in the first few posts!. Cant wait to do this now!

Do you program your VIN using Tool32??? I hear it can be difficult, the NAVI03 was pretty hard!

Cheers!

I have tried with tool32 but my VIN on my Navi03 changes back. I need to read up on the procedure & maybe find some detailed instructions on how to do the NAVI03 VIN with TOol32.

I have to check the TCU to be sure the VIN change stayed

stuartjohn24
03-23-2012, 05:24 PM
I have tried with tool32 but my VIN on my Navi03 changes back. I need to read up on the procedure & maybe find some detailed instructions on how to do the NAVI03 VIN with TOol32.

I have to check the TCU to be sure the VIN change stayed

Hi Paper,

I had exactly the same problem with Tool32 and the NAVI03!

You have to open up the NAV_E65.prg then put the navi unit in 'factory mode', its in the list i think you write 0x3F or something like that, then write the VIN (fg_schreiben) with the check digit, it worked for me i was trying to work this out for days!

Hope that helps!

Stuart

PAPER
03-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Hi Paper,

I had exactly the same problem with Tool32 and the NAVI03!

You have to open up the NAV_E65.prg then put the navi unit in 'factory mode', its in the list i think you write 0x3F or something like that, then write the VIN (fg_schreiben) with the check digit, it worked for me i was trying to work this out for days!

Hope that helps!

Stuart

Ya I tried that, but it still goes back to the old VIN after a re-start of the car.

& I get an error
ERROR _NUMBER _ARGUMENT

stuartjohn24
03-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Ya I tried that, but it still goes back to the old VIN after a re-start of the car.

& I get an error
ERROR _NUMBER _ARGUMENT

Are you entering the VIN with the check digit as shown in NCS for example? i.e. 18 digits? it was tricky i was playing around with it and it took a couple of attempts. the problem with the navi is you have to wait 15 mins before it re-boots after ignition off.

PAPER
03-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Yes I did. I'll try again

PAPER
03-23-2012, 09:12 PM
Are you entering the VIN with the check digit as shown in NCS for example? i.e. 18 digits? it was tricky i was playing around with it and it took a couple of attempts. the problem with the navi is you have to wait 15 mins before it re-boots after ignition off.

Didn't get no errors, but it still changed back after 15minutes shut off test. Guess I'll just have to mess with it

PAPER
03-25-2012, 02:29 AM
:d

stuartjohn24
03-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Hi Paper,

Still no luck with the VIN change? I know it was a pain, I cannot remember the exact procedure, I will have a look in Tool32 to see if it will jog my memory and get back to you. I recall finding some info on the 7-Forum, its all in german so requires translating. Here are the links to the bits I found before.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.7-forum.com/forum/3/suche-dringend-jemanden-e65-codieren-privat-125046-79.html&ei=CWZvT8urLYTT0QW6zriNAg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CD0Q7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbmw%2Bnav_e65.prg%2Bfg_schreiben%26hl %3Den%26safe%3Doff%26biw%3D1187%26bih%3D618%26prmd %3Dimvns

and on page 6 look at the attachment, its showing in tool32 to run the job 'get_factory_mode' it should return saying its active, when active write the new VIN with fg_schreiben. if it isnt active there should be a job called 'set_factory_mode' or something along those lines. I'm 99% sure you write 0x3F to set the factory mode, I cant seems to find where I read that.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.7-forum.com/forum/3/mp3-abspielen-e65-vfl-130766-5.html&ei=1WZvT6eZIoe-0QW-ttmNAg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CC0Q7gEwAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dnav_e65.prg%2Bfg%2Bschreiben%26hl%3De n%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DX%26biw%3D1187%26bih%3D618%2 6prmd%3Dimvns

Anyway, im after a favour from someone! Im after the AMP/TYCO part number on the 54 way TCU connector. Thats the White outer shell with the locking lever, the two row insert and the single row insert. (should be three part numbers in total)

If anyone could do that for me it would be most appreciated!

Stuart

PAPER
03-25-2012, 02:17 PM
I'll send you a link to the Ebay seller
Who sold me my plugs for the TCU when I
Get home in a few minutes

PAPER
03-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Hi Paper,

Still no luck with the VIN change? I know it was a pain, I cannot remember the exact procedure, I will have a look in Tool32 to see if it will jog my memory and get back to you. I recall finding some info on the 7-Forum, its all in german so requires translating. Here are the links to the bits I found before.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.7-forum.com/forum/3/suche-dringend-jemanden-e65-codieren-privat-125046-79.html&ei=CWZvT8urLYTT0QW6zriNAg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CD0Q7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbmw%2Bnav_e65.prg%2Bfg_schreiben%26hl %3Den%26safe%3Doff%26biw%3D1187%26bih%3D618%26prmd %3Dimvns

and on page 6 look at the attachment, its showing in tool32 to run the job 'get_factory_mode' it should return saying its active, when active write the new VIN with fg_schreiben. if it isnt active there should be a job called 'set_factory_mode' or something along those lines. I'm 99% sure you write 0x3F to set the factory mode, I cant seems to find where I read that.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.7-forum.com/forum/3/mp3-abspielen-e65-vfl-130766-5.html&ei=1WZvT6eZIoe-0QW-ttmNAg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CC0Q7gEwAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dnav_e65.prg%2Bfg%2Bschreiben%26hl%3De n%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DX%26biw%3D1187%26bih%3D618%2 6prmd%3Dimvns

Anyway, im after a favour from someone! Im after the AMP/TYCO part number on the 54 way TCU connector. Thats the White outer shell with the locking lever, the two row insert and the single row insert. (should be three part numbers in total)

If anyone could do that for me it would be most appreciated!

Stuart

SENT YOU A PM : WiTH THE INFO FOR THE EBAY SELLER I BOUGHT MY PLUGS FROM .

PAPER
03-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Paper, while I appreciate your time and information

I thought this forum was about helping each other

I won't bother you with questions again, but thank you for the time you spent already.

Jeff

YOUR 110% RIGHT !!! this forum is here so we can help each other out .
With that being said I humbly apologize .
Feel free to ask your questions & I will answer them for you .
I discovered something New today with the TCU , so give me
a call & I'll clear everything up for you .

stuartjohn24
03-26-2012, 04:34 PM
SENT YOU A PM : WiTH THE INFO FOR THE EBAY SELLER I BOUGHT MY PLUGS FROM .

Hey, Got in contact with the guy, he wants $50 for the connector! :yikes:

Been hunting on the net, Audi use the same connector on their bluetooth interface, part can be ordered from the dealer, unfortunately no Audi dealers near me, but I found a pic of the connector, managed to zoom in and enhance the pic enough to make out the Tyco part number.

Its:
1-1355928-2 - For the outer shell with the locking latch
1355929-2 - Single row housing
1355930-2 - For the double row housing

Tyco offer free samples, which I've placed an order for, however the drawings state the part is restricted to Audi and Jaguar, The order may get rejected, but hopefully not and I can get the connector set free! :D

AceFX:

Hows the comfort access retrofit going? That has got to be the ultimate retrofit! :thumbup:

JML6278
03-26-2012, 04:50 PM
yes installed & working great . Have you finished your install of the TCU ???

Paper, I just bought a TCU from a 2007 BMW 750Li with 59,000 miles. Thankfully it also has the wiring still attached for me to re-use. Already did the coding in preparation for the new TCU. Soon it will be time to sell by CPT-9000 BTUM and rip out the phone cradle and reclaim the space in my center console. Hope this goes well and I don't mess anything up.

Stuart, where are you with that possibly fried LMA?

PAPER
03-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Hey, Got in contact with the guy, he wants $50 for the connector! :yikes:

Been hunting on the net, Audi use the same connector on their bluetooth interface, part can be ordered from the dealer, unfortunately no Audi dealers near me, but I found a pic of the connector, managed to zoom in and enhance the pic enough to make out the Tyco part number.

Its:
1-1355928-2 - For the outer shell with the locking latch
1355929-2 - Single row housing
1355930-2 - For the double row housing

Tyco offer free samples, which I've placed an order for, however the drawings state the part is restricted to Audi and Jaguar, The order may get rejected, but hopefully not and I can get the connector set free! :D

AceFX:

Hows the comfort access retrofit going? That has got to be the ultimate retrofit! :thumbup:

Are you serious, if I recall correctly I paid
$20 for the 54pin & $10 for the fibre optic plug.

PAPER
03-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Paper, I just bought a TCU from a 2007 BMW 750Li with 59,000 miles. Thankfully it also has the wiring still attached for me to re-use. Already did the coding in preparation for the new TCU. Soon it will be time to sell by CPT-9000 BTUM and rip out the phone cradle and reclaim the space in my center console. Hope this goes well and I don't mess anything up.

That's good. Your halfway there now

stuartjohn24
03-27-2012, 05:45 AM

Still DEAD! Tried everything I can think of so far. I have tried WinKFP with not much luck, im not sure if I havent set it up correctly or what TBH. when i tried re-programming it it didnt work but it did reset the unit so it must be doing something.

Tool32 does not communicate either, looks like its properly knakered. There dosent appear to be any way to recover it via the OBD socket.

Will look for another unit on eBay in the week, thing is I dont want to buy one only to find I will bugger that one up too. :rolleyes:

I seem to be the only person ever to have had this problem, so it looks like im on my own!

PAPER
03-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Still DEAD! Tried everything I can think of so far. I have tried WinKFP with not much luck, im not sure if I havent set it up correctly or what TBH. when i tried re-programming it it didnt work but it did reset the unit so it must be doing something.

Tool32 does not communicate either, looks like its properly knakered. There dosent appear to be any way to recover it via the OBD socket.

Will look for another unit on eBay in the week, thing is I dont want to buy one only to find I will bugger that one up too. :rolleyes:

I seem to be the only person ever to have had this problem, so it looks like im on my own!

Do you have Progman?
Maybe that will work for you.

stuartjohn24
03-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Do you have Progman?
Maybe that will work for you.

Not a bad idea! forgot about that! I think I have some discs at work a friend let me borrow with it on, will have a look tomorrow.

Stuart

PAPER
03-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Not a bad idea! forgot about that! I think I have some discs at work a friend let me borrow with it on, will have a look tomorrow.

Stuart

Good Luck

stuartjohn24
03-28-2012, 11:39 AM
New TCU I ordered yesterday arrived today! Can't wait to try it out, I'm passing an Audi dealer tomorrow so phoned today to order the 54 way connector, £2.45! That's more like it! Managed to source the MOST connector adapter from Farnell Components, £0.45 each should have that tomorrow too.

The wires/fibres don't look long enough to reach, the new TCU connectors are the opposite way round. I have bought some fabric harness tape if I need to re-route anything. Hopefully should have this lot fitted tomorrow night.

Got the discs for SSS, will see if I can get it installed later tonight and try to recover the LMA!

Cheers!

PAPER
03-28-2012, 01:25 PM
New TCU I ordered yesterday arrived today! Can't wait to try it out, I'm passing an Audi dealer tomorrow so phoned today to order the 54 way connector, £2.45! That's more like it! Managed to source the MOST connector adapter from Farnell Components, £0.45 each should have that tomorrow too.

The wires/fibres don't look long enough to reach, the new TCU connectors are the opposite way round. I have bought some fabric harness tape if I need to re-route anything. Hopefully should have this lot fitted tomorrow night.

Got the discs for SSS, will see if I can get it installed later tonight and try to recover the LMA!

Cheers!

That's good news. I couldn't find fabric tape
When I did mine. I had to use regular electric tape. Good price on the plugs, you should post the link were you got the most connector for that price for any others that might need it

stuartjohn24
03-28-2012, 03:47 PM
That's good news. I couldn't find fabric tape
When I did mine. I had to use regular electric tape. Good price on the plugs, you should post the link were you got the most connector for that price for any others that might need it

Hi, of course, the MOST connector adapter (when you remove the two fibres in the small rectangular housing you need another housing with a locking tab that plugs into the TCU)

In the US they are called 'newark' and Farnell in the UK:

http://www.newark.com/te-connectivity-amp/1-1355426-1/housing-socket-2way/dp/28T0178?Ntt=1-1355426-1

MOQ is 10.

The picture is not correct but the part number is, the Tyco link for the connector:

http://www.te.com/catalog/pn/en/1-1355426-1?RQPN=1-1355426-1

The fabric tape I got from eBay, its manufactured by tesa.

These are the crimps used in almost all 2.54mm pitch connectors in BMW's they are a special design with double retention, also available from Newark or Farnell.

BMW only sell these with lengths of wire for a ridiculous price!, if you have a suitable AMP crimp tool you are in luck!

http://www.newark.com/te-connectivity-amp/963715-1/connector-contact-socket-crimp/dp/17H0999?Ntt=963715

Stuart

PAPER
03-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Hi, of course, the MOST connector adapter (when you remove the two fibres in the small rectangular housing you need another housing with a locking tab that plugs into the TCU)

In the US they are called 'newark' and Farnell in the UK:

http://www.newark.com/te-connectivity-amp/1-1355426-1/housing-socket-2way/dp/28T0178?Ntt=1-1355426-1

MOQ is 10.

The picture is not correct but the part number is, the Tyco link for the connector:

http://www.te.com/catalog/pn/en/1-1355426-1?RQPN=1-1355426-1

The fabric tape I got from eBay, its manufactured by tesa.

These are the crimps used in almost all 2.54mm pitch connectors in BMW's they are a special design with double retention, also available from Newark or Farnell.

BMW only sell these with lengths of wire for a ridiculous price!, if you have a suitable AMP crimp tool you are in luck!

http://www.newark.com/te-connectivity-amp/963715-1/connector-contact-socket-crimp/dp/17H0999?Ntt=963715

Stuart

Good Post !!!

stuartjohn24
03-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Hey guys,

Good news, picked up the 54 way connector from the Audi dealer today and fitted the new TCU, coded the MMI and I now have 'Phone' in my settings menu, and it displays what I guess were previously paired phones from the donor car.

I have tried to pair my iPhone, I select 'Pairing' on the menu and my iPhone finds 'BMW9900' or something like that however it wont pair with the pass key I enter from the label on the unit. I have plugged the WDCT antenna into the TCU the same as Ace but it only fits one of the 4 connectors with its original coding shroud on. WDS says the BT antenna should plug into X13383 which is the one next to the GSM antenna with the 'Blue' coding. is this the BT antenna? I think I may have it plugged into the wrong one!

Cheers!

PAPER
03-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Hey guys,

Good news, picked up the 54 way connector from the Audi dealer today and fitted the new TCU, coded the MMI and I now have 'Phone' in my settings menu, and it displays what I guess were previously paired phones from the donor car.

I have tried to pair my iPhone, I select 'Pairing' on the menu and my iPhone finds 'BMW9900' or something like that however it wont pair with the pass key I enter from the label on the unit. I have plugged the WDCT antenna into the TCU the same as Ace but it only fits one of the 4 connectors with its original coding shroud on. WDS says the BT antenna should plug into X13383 which is the one next to the GSM antenna with the 'Blue' coding. is this the BT antenna? I think I may have it plugged into the wrong one!

Cheers!

Can you post a pic of how you have it hooked up Please .
( you might be plugged in the wrong slot )
Take off the Plastic housing & try the other slots .
Then set your phone down in the trunk close to the TCU & try to Pair it .

PS:Make sure you Delete the other Paired Phones .

stuartjohn24
03-29-2012, 02:47 PM
Can you post a pic of how you have it hooked up Please .
( you might be plugged in the wrong slot )
Take off the Plastic housing & try the other slots .
Then set your phone down in the trunk close to the TCU & try to Pair it .

PS:Make sure you Delete the other Paired Phones .

Hi paper,

Thanks for the reply, just tried all the connectors no luck, I will delete old phones and try again. The code that comes up BMW99000, is the 5 digits supposed to be the VIN? I haven't changed the VIN yet. How did you change the VIN paper? Tool32?

Almost there....

Cheers!

PAPER
03-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Hi paper,

Thanks for the reply, just tried all the connectors no luck, I will delete old phones and try again. The code that comes up BMW99000, is the 5 digits supposed to be the VIN? I haven't changed the VIN yet. How did you change the VIN paper? Tool32?

Almost there....

Cheers!

the code you type in should be the PUK code on the TCU .
I'm not sure what the 5 digits mean . The #'s that come up
for Bluetooth on My phone are not my Vin . It says BMW 499665
or something like that .

stuartjohn24
03-29-2012, 04:22 PM
I have just erased the previous paired phones and no difference, however I have read the VIN using Tool32, the last 5 digits (99000) match the VIN CJ99000 as the TCU came from a 2007 E61, this ties up with my iPhone finding 'BMW 99000' as a device.

I have used tool32 to write my VIN, it appears to have taken it, although the device id is still 'BMW 99000' I will see tomorrow when the cars gone to sleep and woken up if the VIN change has taken and the TCU assigns a new ID based on my VIN, hopefully should get 'BMW 90382' The NAV unit didnt report the correct VIN until I coded it using NCS, might read the coding tomorrow and have a look.

Looks like I will have to do the production date change trick to read the TCU much like the MMI!

Stuart

PAPER
03-29-2012, 04:35 PM
I have just erased the previous paired phones and no difference, however I have read the VIN using Tool32, the last 5 digits (99000) match the VIN CL99000 as the TCU came from a 2007 E61, this ties up with my iPhone finding 'BMW 99000' as a device.

I have used tool32 to write my VIN, it appears to have taken it, although the device id is still 'BMW 99000' I will see tomorrow when the cars gone to sleep and woken up if the VIN change has taken and the TCU assigns a new ID based on my VIN, hopefully should get 'BMW 90382' The NAV unit didnt report the correct VIN until I coded it using NCS, might read the coding tomorrow and have a look.

Looks like I will have to do the production date change trick to read the TCU much like the MMI!

Stuart

how did you do the Navi VIN with NCS ?
I used Tool32 for the TCU but the #'s I get are not the last 5 of my VIN .
Did you try pairing with your phone close to the TCU ? On another
Members car we had to hold the phone directly next to the TCU .

stuartjohn24
03-29-2012, 04:41 PM
how did you do the Navi VIN with NCS ?
I used Tool32 for the TCU but the #'s I get are not the last 5 of my VIN .
Did you try pairing with your phone close to the TCU ? On another
Members car we had to hold the phone directly next to the TCU .

The NAV computer also generates the 'BMW Assist' menus in the idrive, on one of the menus it shows the VIN number of the car, I knew I had programmed the VIN correctly to the NAV computer and it would read the correct VIN back using Tool32, however the menu didnt 'refresh' I had to read the unit using NCS make a dummy edit to the trace file re-code it to the NAV unit and this reset the NAV and it then showed the correct VIN in the BMW assist menu.

Im wondering if doing this to the TCU will make it 'refresh' its BT ID and show the last digits of your VIN?

If it works... why bother, I may be wasting my time! do I recall you saying to add $633 to the VO?

PAPER
03-29-2012, 04:45 PM
The NAV computer also generates the 'BMW Assist' menus in the idrive, on one of the menus it shows the VIN number of the car, I knew I had programmed the VIN correctly to the NAV computer and it would read the correct VIN back using Tool32, however the menu didnt 'refresh' I had to read the unit using NCS make a dummy edit to the trace file re-code it to the NAV unit and this reset the NAV and it then showed the correct VIN in the BMW assist menu.

Im wondering if doing this to the TCU will make it 'refresh' its BT ID and show the last digits of your VIN?

If it works... why bother, I may be wasting my time! do I recall you saying to add $633 to the VO?

Yes I recall reading some place you might have to add $639 to the VO .
I didn't since my phone paired right away .

MMME30W
03-29-2012, 04:45 PM
280 views since posted in Feb. Seems sticky-worthy to me. :thumbup: Nice job Ace. :)

stuartjohn24
03-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Yes I recall reading some place you might have to add $639 to the VO .
I didn't since my phone paired right away .

Ahh I see, yeah ive had it with coding VO's for the time being! lol :cry:

I tried paring while I stood at the rear of the car with the boot open. even in the drivers seat as soon as i press 'pairing' on the idirive the iPhone detects the car within a second or so. just says the pairing fails when I put the pass key in.

Will connect to the TCU with Tool32 in the morning and have a play with some of the diagnostic functions.

stuartjohn24
03-30-2012, 06:21 AM
Ahh I see, yeah ive had it with coding VO's for the time being! lol :cry:

I tried paring while I stood at the rear of the car with the boot open. even in the drivers seat as soon as i press 'pairing' on the idirive the iPhone detects the car within a second or so. just says the pairing fails when I put the pass key in.

Will connect to the TCU with Tool32 in the morning and have a play with some of the diagnostic functions.

Well I connected to the car this morning with Tool32, the TCU still holds my VIN so looks like the VIN change was very straight forward!

I have noticed in the TELE60_3.prg file there are quite a few useful features! you can read back the BT pass key, BT ID (which is normally 'BMW XXXXX') IMEI or ESN number, BT antenna status, emergency number, and what looks like nearest dealer info, I guess this info is fed to the NAV computer for the BMW assist.

I have written a new BT ID, so its the same as my VIN, I will check tonight if its taken it. if it does I guess you could name the car anything!

Still cant pair though, I have an iPhone 4S others seem to have had success, some say after being to the dealer and having work done and the car subsequently re-programmed to the latest software the BT works perfectly. could this be the problem?

Unfortunately everyone in the family have iPhones so I cant try anything else at the moment!

Stuart

PAPER
03-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Well I connected to the car this morning with Tool32, the TCU still holds my VIN so looks like the VIN change was very straight forward!

I have noticed in the TELE60_3.prg file there are quite a few useful features! you can read back the BT pass key, BT ID (which is normally 'BMW XXXXX') IMEI or ESN number, BT antenna status, emergency number, and what looks like nearest dealer info, I guess this info is fed to the NAV computer for the BMW assist.

I have written a new BT ID, so its the same as my VIN, I will check tonight if its taken it. if it does I guess you could name the car anything!

Still cant pair though, I have an iPhone 4S others seem to have had success, some say after being to the dealer and having work done and the car subsequently re-programmed to the latest software the BT works perfectly. could this be the problem?

Unfortunately everyone in the family have iPhones so I cant try anything else at the moment!

Stuart

I will try pairing my old iphone 4 when I get home & then I'll let you know the results.
I'm on the new Galaxy Note & also the Galaxy S2 ( both European version & I've had no problem pairing.

stuartjohn24
03-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Success!

Bluetooth is now functional! I will share exactly what I did to get this working in the hope it will help others, many thanks to ACE and PAPER for info along the way!

I first found a suitable TCU that offers full Bluetooth functionality, the part number for mine is 84109149615 which seems to be a pretty generic module used on most of the model range from 2007 on. The unit I recieved was from a 2007 March build E61 523i touring.

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac66/stuartjohn24/BMW%20E65%202002%20Bluetooth%20TCU%20Upgrade/IMG_1043.jpg

Is I'm in the UK I require a GSM module, looking the part number up confirms its a GSM module (however the label does not show an IMEI as expected but an ESN number, which I believe to be an error, the ESN would suggest its a CDMA unit, keen eyed people will notice the number string is not in the ESN format but the IMEI format).

My old telephone module was the earliest revision, a Siemens system with the phone in a drawer in the front with a SIM card holder. perfectly acceptable in the 90's! :D

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac66/stuartjohn24/BMW%20E65%202002%20Bluetooth%20TCU%20Upgrade/IMG_1050.jpg

There are two plugs (excluding any antennas) that connect to the unit, one is a 12 pin with integral MOST fibre interface and the other a 26 way.

The power, mic, SOS button, phone board CAN, phone drawer wiring etc is split between the two.

The new TCU has a 54 pin connector that houses everything above minus the phone drawer wiring, if you have a cradle (which I dont) this wires in too.

My TCU didnt come with the connectors so I had to get these separately, I used the Audi equivalent shown below. Part number is 4E0 972 144, it costs around £2.40.

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac66/stuartjohn24/BMW%20E65%202002%20Bluetooth%20TCU%20Upgrade/IMG_1056.jpg
Note: The plug requires a little modification to change the coding, just take a sharp knife and trim the lugs at the front to allow it to fit the TCU.

You will also need the MOST fibre adaptor (same as used on the diagnostic loop in the glovebox)

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac66/stuartjohn24/BMW%20E65%202002%20Bluetooth%20TCU%20Upgrade/IMG_1047.jpg
Note: You will need just the part on the left

I have listed the wiring for the ECE conversion previously, check the wiring for your model/region. the ECE and US variants are different!

Remove the boot trim and locate the phone module on the upper left, disconnect all the connectors, remove the fibre connector from the 12 way housing and fit the adaptor.

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac66/stuartjohn24/BMW%20E65%202002%20Bluetooth%20TCU%20Upgrade/IMG_1061.jpg

Start moving the pins one by one to the new connector, be aware, the contacts from the 12 way housing (black on the right) dont fit the Audi housing without modification, they have a tab along one edge which requires cutting off with small sharp side cutters. The contacts fit securely though. the contacts in the 26 way fit without modification.

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac66/stuartjohn24/BMW%20E65%202002%20Bluetooth%20TCU%20Upgrade/IMG_1062.jpg

Once complete connect the 54 way connector and ensure red light emits from the MOST connector, plug the MOST in and bolt the TCU to the bracket. Connect the antenna to the coded sockets.

I have the WDCT antenna for the old Siemens phone system, the same as ACE, this works fine so far.

stuartjohn24
03-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Once the TCU is fitted the MMI will most likely need coding, see the posts before about doing this if you are having errors, as per PAPER's instructions set:

TEL_BLUETOOTH
AKTIV

and

BLUETOOTH_HANDY
AKTIV

You should now have the 'Phone' option in the 'Settings' menu. Select the 'Phone' menu, my screen showed the following (paired phones from the donor car) select and delete all entries.

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac66/stuartjohn24/BMW%20E65%202002%20Bluetooth%20TCU%20Upgrade/IMG_1063.jpg

Enable bluetooth on your phone, select 'Pairing' on the menu and you should see a device appear on your phone in the format 'BMW XXXXX' where XXXXX is the last 5 digits of the VIN of the car the TCU came from.

when prompted enter the pass key found on the TCU, if it pairs your in luck!

If like me, yours dosent, follow these instructions:

Open Tool32, then TELE60_3.prg and write your VIN including the check digit using the FG_Schreiben function.

Next open up NCS expert, you will more than likely need to modify your FA vehicle order code to get NCS to code the unit properly, to do this see previous posts, I used date code 0306, mine threw an error as an option was not valid for that year, delete the one causing the error, and add $633 for bluetooth TCU. (dont actually write the FA to the car though! VERY important!:D)

Now read the TCU, it should dump the trace file to your WORK folder, open with NCS Dummy flick through the options there and change anything you need to. mine was from an E61 so i changed it to E65. re coded and it works!

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac66/stuartjohn24/BMW%20E65%202002%20Bluetooth%20TCU%20Upgrade/IMG_1072.jpg

Hope this helps!

Stuart

JML6278
03-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Once the TCU is fitted the MMI will most likely need coding, see the posts before about doing this if you are having errors, as per PAPER's instructions set:

TEL_BLUETOOTH
AKTIV

and

BLUETOOTH_HANDY
AKTIV

You should now have the 'Phone' option in the 'Settings' menu. Select the 'Phone' menu, my screen showed the following (paired phones from the donor car) select and delete all entries.

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac66/stuartjohn24/BMW%20E65%202002%20Bluetooth%20TCU%20Upgrade/IMG_1063.jpg

Enable bluetooth on your phone, select 'Pairing' on the menu and you should see a device appear on your phone in the format 'BMW XXXXX' where XXXXX is the last 5 digits of the VIN of the car the TCU came from.

Open Tool32, then TELE60_3.prg and write your VIN including the check digit using the FG_Schreiben function.

Next open up NCS expert, you will more than likely need to modify your FA vehicle order code to get NCS to code the unit properly, to do this see previous posts, I used date code 0306, mine threw an error as an option was not valid for that year, delete the one causing the error, and add $633 for bluetooth TCU. (dont actually write the FA to the car though! VERY important!:D)

Now read the TCU, it should dump the trace file to your WORK folder, open with NCS Dummy flick through the options there and change anything you need to. mine was from an E61 so i changed it to E65. re coded and it works!

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac66/stuartjohn24/BMW%20E65%202002%20Bluetooth%20TCU%20Upgrade/IMG_1072.jpg

Hope this helps!

Stuart

Stuart, congratulations on successfully retrofitting your TCU. Between yours and Paper's posts, I should be good to go when I do my retrofit. My TCU will be here tomorrow and thankfully has the 54-pin most connector already attached for me to re-use. Considering i have the original 54-pin connector do you think it will be easy to remove and reattach the wires? Any special trick to it?

Thanks,

Jeff

stuartjohn24
03-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Thanks Jeff! Yeah should be easy if you have the connector already. Removing sockets is easy, you just need a sharp pointed knife or screwdriver to depress the locking tab, they click in twice so need to press the tab in twice as you pull the socket out, you will see what I mean when you see it.

Blackbox760
03-30-2012, 11:39 AM
wow, very nice work and thank you for the nice explanations

JML6278
03-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks Jeff! Yeah should be easy if you have the connector already. Removing sockets is easy, you just need a sharp pointed knife or screwdriver to depress the locking tab, they click in twice so need to press the tab in twice as you pull the socket out, you will see what I mean when you see it.

Thanks Stuart. I completely understand your instructions which should make that part of the retrofit much easier. I haven't heard anyone mention disconnecting the negative battery terminal before working with the wiring harness. Did you forget to mention it, or did you just do the retrofit with the battery connected?

Thanks,

Jeff

stuartjohn24
03-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks Stuart. I completely understand your instructions which should make that part of the retrofit much easier. I haven't heard anyone mention disconnecting the negative battery terminal before working with the wiring harness. Did you forget to mention it, or did you just do the retrofit with the battery connected?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I did not disconnect the battery, best thing to do is open the boot and wait for the car to go to sleep, until the NAV computer switches off is sufficient, as you are moving wires one by one there is no risk of shorting them together, however you could short them to ground!

I disconnected the negative side yesterday to re-charge the battery as it died on Wednesday afternoon, not sure why the battery has been on the way out for a while. upon re-connecting my steering wheel now automatically retracts when i take the key out and return when i put the key in and start the engine. I know its supposed to do that but its never worked since ive owned the car!

DIS reportd a problem with the inclination hall sensor, which is the position sensor for the steering angle up and down. i cleared the fault but it wouldnt initialise using DIS! you could move it manually of course. but powering the whole car down seems to have bought it back to life! oh I love all these little quirks! :rolleyes: keeps me busy anyway!

I will try and help where possible this is just a quick overview of what I have done.

Stuart

PAPER
03-30-2012, 03:37 PM

TEL_BLUETOOTH
AKTIV

and

BLUETOOTH_HANDY
AKTIV

Hope this helps!

Stuart

I forgot you had the E60 TCU.
Glad you got it all set up & working.
Congrats! !!

stuartjohn24
03-31-2012, 01:49 AM
I forgot you had the E60 TCU.
Glad you got it all set up & working.
Congrats! !!

Hi Paper, thanks! thats right, the one I have fitted seems to be a generic unit. it doesn't fit quite as neatly . The label is upside down and iv'e had to unwrap a fair bit of the wiring loom and re tape so that the harness routes comfortably.

I have no idea why BMW have so many variations! there is a list on an earlier post of compatible E65 units, I work in the electronics business, we have to revise PCB layouts etc to accommodate components changes due to obsolescence etc.. but nothing on this scale! I suppose as the end user we just get told from BMW that one part is a replacement for another etc...

As a bonus, I have noticed the housing for the old 12 way fits the voice control unit! ive been after the correct connector for ages! all seems to be good at the moment! :D

Now the TCU is up and working... whats the next upgrade!? n:bigpimp:

politby
03-31-2012, 04:42 AM
Hi Paper, thanks! thats right, the one I have fitted seems to be a generic unit. it doesn't fit quite as neatly as Ace's install. The label is upside down and iv'e had to unwrap a fair bit of the wiring loom and re tape so that the harness routes comfortably.

The TCU Stuart got is the same as the one I bought. Mine came from a 2007 750i so that confirms BMW is using the same unit in several different models while still officially claiming each car model neeeds its own specific version.

Thanks to this thread I now think I have all the info I need to do my TCU swap. Because my car is a FL I hope not to have to do any work on the connectors.

JML6278
03-31-2012, 05:38 PM
That's good. Your halfway there now

Paper, just got my new TCU today. Unfortunately it's raining here, so hopefully I can get it done tomorrow. I was able to sell my BTUM CPT9000 for $165 and I got the new TCU for $200 after some hard bargaining. If everything goes ok tomorrow this might be the least expensive mod I've done.

I've taken apart and stripped the connectors in perpetration and i think that will be pretty straight forward with the help of your wiring diagram. I had a question about the antennas. In your pics it looks like you have 3 plugging in to the new TCU. Is that correct or did I miss something? We're you able to get Bluetooth working w/o hooking up a new bluetooth antenna like ACE? I haven't bought the Bluetooth module in the hopes I can re-use one of the other antennas for bluetooth.

1 other question the 2 wires that connect to the cradle are they for power? If so would connecting them be a good idea if you ever wanted to charge your phone inside your center console? Am I missing something here?

Thanks and glad everyone seems to be doing well with this retrofit.

Jeff

PAPER
03-31-2012, 06:27 PM
Which 2 wires are you referring to?
Maybe give me a call so you can explain
It a little more

stuartjohn24
04-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Paper, just got my new TCU today. Unfortunately it's raining here, so hopefully I can get it done tomorrow. I was able to sell my BTUM CPT9000 for $165 and I got the new TCU for $200 after some hard bargaining. If everything goes ok tomorrow this might be the least expensive mod I've done.

I've taken apart and stripped the connectors in perpetration and i think that will be pretty straight forward with the help of your wiring diagram. I had a question about the antennas. In your pics it looks like you have 3 plugging in to the new TCU. Is that correct or did I miss something? We're you able to get Bluetooth working w/o hooking up a new bluetooth antenna like ACE? I haven't bought the Bluetooth module in the hopes I can re-use one of the other antennas for bluetooth.

1 other question the 2 wires that connect to the cradle are they for power? If so would connecting them be a good idea if you ever wanted to charge your phone inside your center console? Am I missing something here?

Thanks and glad everyone seems to be doing well with this retrofit.

Jeff

Jeff, are you referring to 'cradle 0' and 'cradle k'? I think these are data wires, as when the phone is docked in the cradle the external antenna is used. I guess the cradles snap in adapter has the charging circuitry inside it as different phones require different charging voltages. I would imagine the cradle will also require a separate supply as well as the data connection to the TCU. Be worth checking WDS to be sure (if it's in there of course!)

I was hoping to fit the cradle but the new armrest trims and cradle holder are pretty expensive! I will keep an eye out on eBay!

JML6278
04-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Jeff, are you referring to 'cradle 0' and 'cradle k'? I think these are data wires, as when the phone is docked in the cradle the external antenna is used. I guess the cradles snap in adapter has the charging circuitry inside it as different phones require different charging voltages. I would imagine the cradle will also require a separate supply as well as the data connection to the TCU. Be worth checking WDS to be sure (if it's in there of course!)

I was hoping to fit the cradle but the new armrest trims and cradle holder are pretty expensive! I will keep an eye out on eBay!

SUCCESS!!!!

I got lucky in one way. Even though I had prepped for the job by breaking down the 54-pin plug in inticipation of the wiring mod. Well to my great surprise my old TCU had the 54-pin connection and the MOST connector didn't need any adapter since it wasn't sharing a connector with the 12-pin. I was kind of nervouse because I wasnt sure if the pin connections were the same (thought they should be). The outside casing had to be switched with the one from the new TCU even though the looked the same.

I had coded the MMI days ago in perpetration, and after deleting the previously paired phones I was able to pair my iPhone (took 3 attempts. Had to get close to the trunk). People are telling me how clear it sounds and I know it sounds better than the BTUM CPT9000 that I had.

One odd thing is I am unable to connect to the TCU with INPA or NCS Expert. With NCS I have tied many production dates, and I get some to go through 0606 for example. Then when I try reading the TCUM module I get a COAPPI 2000 error. I would like to be able to read my TCU, but glad everything else is working. I tested everything possible and it all works. Since I never had to re-route wires to different pins like most others I should be ok.

Not sure if I should remove the phone/BTUM tray inside my center console or not. Not sure what to replace that space with. Mabye they make an Oddments tray for the center console for the right side (US).

Just wanted to thank Ace, Stuart, and Paper for their hard work and help.

Just for the record:

1. I never had to add $633 or $639 to my VO (doesn't mean you won't)
2. Didn't have to make any changes on my TCU (can't connect right now anyway).
3. Needed to be close to the TCU initially to pair.

Having 2 small issues that are unrelated to this retrofit since the problems pre-existed the TCU retrofit.

1. Auto P works, but can't select it in I drive menu, and doesn't work if I program function on steering wheel.

2. iPod. Even though I added +IPOD to my VO, I can't find iPod_List in my MMI. Interestingly I see playlist, artist, album, etc in my MMI, but I can only select playlist and that's after it taking a long time to read my iPod (had 12,000+ songs at first. Reduced to about 2,000 songs and no playlist has more than 475 songs (4 playlists). The MMI has rebooted before while trying to load my iPod. After MMI reboots it continues where it left off and will eventually finish (30 minutes or more). I would be ok with the one time 30-45 minute read, but it does this each time. Switched to my iPhone 4S with only 450 songs, and it loads quicker, but still can't select Artist, Album, Song, etc.

Hope someone has a clue on he 2 issues above.

Thanks again, Ace, Stuart, and Paper (not necessarily in that order). Lol

Jeff

PAPER
04-02-2012, 12:26 PM
SUCCESS!!!!

I got lucky in one way. Even though I had prepped for the job by breaking down the 54-pin plug in inticipation of the wiring mod. Well to my great surprise my old TCU had the 54-pin connection and the MOST connector didn't need any adapter since it wasn't sharing a connector with the 12-pin. I was kind of nervouse because I wasnt sure if the pin connections were the same (thought they should be). The outside casing had to be switched with the one from the new TCU even though the looked the same.

I had coded the MMI days ago in perpetration, and after deleting the previously paired phones I was able to pair my iPhone (took 3 attempts. Had to get close to the trunk). People are telling me how clear it sounds and I know it sounds better than the BTUM CPT9000 that I had.

One odd thing is I am unable to connect to the TCU with INPA or NCS Expert. With NCS I have tied many production dates, and I get some to go through 0606 for example. Then when I try reading the TCUM module I get a COAPPI 2000 error. I would like to be able to read my TCU, but glad everything else is working. I tested everything possible and it all works. Since I never had to re-route wires to different pins like most others I should be ok.

Not sure if I should remove the phone/BTUM tray inside my center console or not. Not sure what to replace that space with. Mabye they make an Oddments tray for the center console for the right side (US).

Just wanted to thank Ace, Stuart, and Paper for their hard work and help.

Just for the record:

1. I never had to add $633 or $639 to my VO (doesn't mean you won't)
2. Didn't have to make any changes on my TCU (can't connect right now anyway).
3. Needed to be close to the TCU initially to pair.

Having 2 small issues that are unrelated to this retrofit since the problems pre-existed the TCU retrofit.

1. Auto P works, but can't select it in I drive menu, and doesn't work if I program function on steering wheel.

2. iPod. Even though I added +IPOD to my VO, I can't find iPod_List in my MMI. Interestingly I see playlist, artist, album, etc in my MMI, but I can only select playlist and that's after it taking a long time to read my iPod (had 12,000+ songs at first. Reduced to about 2,000 songs and no playlist has more than 475 songs (4 playlists). The MMI has rebooted before while trying to load my iPod. After MMI reboots it continues where it left off and will eventually finish (30 minutes or more). I would be ok with the one time 30-45 minute read, but it does this each time. Switched to my iPhone 4S with only 450 songs, and it loads quicker, but still can't select Artist, Album, Song, etc.

Hope someone has a clue on he 2 issues above.

Thanks again, Ace, Stuart, and Paper (not necessarily in that order). Lol

Jeff

Post up your MMI trace file so we can try to help you
with the 2 issue's you are having .

stuartjohn24
04-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Hi Jeff, congratulations on your retrofit! Sounds like it went smoothly! The only reason I can think of why NCS won't talk to the new TCU is because $633 is not in the V0. I imagine INPA reads the V0 too so it knows how to handle communication with the modules. It must generate an index of expected units and variants based on the V0 and manufacturing date. After changing my production date I still didn't have the TCU listed in the ECU list in NCS hence why I added $633. It's no biggie of course, If it works don't mess with it!

I'm glad we have all had success with this retrofit, I would never have attempted this of it wasn't for Ace starting this thread in the first place. Now he just needs to tell u how to retrofit this comfort access!

JML6278
04-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Post up your MMI trace file so we can try to help you
with the 2 issue's you are having .

Paper, here is my trace of my MMI:

I forgot to change e65 to e66 but I don't think that's the issue.

BAUREIHE
e65
KEY_MEMORY_MMI
aktiv
WELLENBAND_MW
aktiv
LETZTES_MENUE
aktiv
ANIMATION_SCHIEBEN_4
aktiv
FARBSET_4
farbset_b
PROGR_TASTE_MFL_4
komfortmode
ANIMATION_SCHIEBEN_1
aktiv
ANIMATION_SCHIEBEN_2
aktiv
ANIMATION_SCHIEBEN_3
aktiv
FARBSET_1
farbset_b
FARBSET_2
farbset_b
FARBSET_3
farbset_b
ASSISTENZFENSTER_1
kurzinfo
ASSISTENZFENSTER_2
kurzinfo
ASSISTENZFENSTER_3
bordcomputer2
PROGR_TASTE_MFL_1
komfortmode
PROGR_TASTE_MFL_2
komfortmode
PROGR_TASTE_MFL_3
komfortmode
ASSISTENZFENSTER_4
kurzinfo
TEL_US_BUSINESS
nicht_aktiv
TP
nicht_aktiv
WELLENBAND_KW
nicht_aktiv
WELLENBAND_LW
nicht_aktiv
TEMPERATUR_EINHEIT_4
grad_f
TEMPERATUR_EINHEIT_1
grad_f
TEMPERATUR_EINHEIT_2
grad_f
TEMPERATUR_EINHEIT_3
grad_f
WEG_EINHEIT_4
mls
WEG_EINHEIT_1
mls
WEG_EINHEIT_2
mls
WEG_EINHEIT_3
mls
ZEIT_EINHEIT_1
12_stunden
ZEIT_EINHEIT_2
12_stunden
ZEIT_EINHEIT_3
12_stunden
ZEIT_EINHEIT_4
12_stunden
IHKA_HIGH
aktiv
FONDKLIMAANLAGE
nicht_aktiv
MMI_FOND
nicht_aktiv
STANDHEIZUNG
nicht_aktiv
AUSSTATTUNG_DWS
aktiv
EDC
nicht_aktiv
PDC_VERBAUT
aktiv
MONITORBILD_PDC_4
aktiv
MONITORBILD_PDC_1
aktiv
MONITORBILD_PDC_2
aktiv
MONITORBILD_PDC_3
aktiv
ASK_LAUFWERK
cd
AMFMTUNER
single_tuner
CD_WECHSLER
aktiv
MULTIMEDIA_CHANGER
aktiv
VIDEOMODUL
nicht_aktiv
TV_VIDEO_ABSCHALTUNG
aktiv
TOP_HIFI
aktiv
SITZHEIZUNG
aktiv
ECE_TELEFON
nicht_aktiv
US_TELEFON
aktiv
TEL_US_PROFESSIONAL
aktiv
TEL_BLUETOOTH
aktiv
NAVIGATION_VERBAUT
aktiv
RDC_VERBAUT
nicht_aktiv
KENNLINIE_LCD
kl_basis_front
kl_basis_front_ir
kl_basis_front_e67
kl_high_front
kl_high_front_ir
kl_high_front_e67
AUFBLENDZEIT_1_LCD
aufz_1_basis_front
aufz_1_basis_front_ir
aufz_1_basis_front_e67
aufz_1_high_front
aufz_1_high_front_ir
aufz_1_high_front_e67
AUFBLENDZEIT_2_LCD
aufz_2_basis_front
aufz_2_basis_front_ir
aufz_2_basis_front_e67
aufz_2_high_front
aufz_2_high_front_ir
aufz_2_high_front_e67
ABBLENDZEIT_1_LCD
abbz_1_basis_front
abbz_1_basis_front_ir
abbz_1_basis_front_e67
abbz_1_high_front
abbz_1_high_front_ir
abbz_1_high_front_e67
ABBLENDZEIT_2_LCD
abbz_2_basis_front
abbz_2_basis_front_ir
abbz_2_basis_front_e67
abbz_2_high_front
abbz_2_high_front_ir
abbz_2_high_front_e67
FAHRZEUGTYP_MMI
ece_ll
WAEHLBARE_SPRACHE_1
us
WAEHLBARE_SPRACHE_2
franzoesisch
WAEHLBARE_SPRACHE_3
spanisch
SPRACHE_1
us
SPRACHE_2
us
SPRACHE_3
us
SPRACHE_4
us
WAEHLBARE_SPRACHE_4
nicht_aktiv
WAEHLBARE_SPRACHE_5
nicht_aktiv
WAEHLBARE_SPRACHE_6
nicht_aktiv
DRUCK_EINHEIT_1
bar
DRUCK_EINHEIT_2
bar
DRUCK_EINHEIT_3
bar
DRUCK_EINHEIT_4
bar
VERBRAUCH_EINHEIT_1
mpg
VERBRAUCH_EINHEIT_2
mpg
VERBRAUCH_EINHEIT_3
mpg
VERBRAUCH_EINHEIT_4
mpg
DATUM_EINHEIT_1
mm_tt_jj
DATUM_EINHEIT_2
mm_tt_jj
DATUM_EINHEIT_3
mm_tt_jj
DATUM_EINHEIT_4
mm_tt_jj
SDARSTUNER
nicht_aktiv
ZUHEIZUNG_MMI
nicht_aktiv
LETZT_VERW_SCHLUESSEL
schluessel3
NAVI_ASSIST_FOND
nicht_aktiv
OELSTAND
aktiv
DTC_BUTTON
aktiv
HARDKEY_ASK
aktiv
KLIMA_AUTO
aktiv
MP3
aktiv
RDS
aktiv
TV
nicht_aktiv
NIVI
nicht_aktiv
LUFTVER
nicht_aktiv
SMS
nicht_aktiv
LAENDERVARIANTE_BNDB_MMI
us
E_CALL_COUNTDOWN
0s
DAB
nicht_aktiv
DAB_ECE
nicht_aktiv
HM_VIDEO
nicht_aktiv
IBOC
nicht_aktiv
MW_AM
aktiv
RDC_US
nicht_aktiv
REG
nicht_aktiv
TP_SELECT
nicht_aktiv
VIDEOTEXT
nicht_aktiv
BLUETOOTH_HANDY
aktiv
AUX
aktiv
BT_GUID
nicht_aktiv
SDARS25
nicht_aktiv
TEL_SERV_MENU
aktiv
TV_DIG
nicht_aktiv
EXNAV_NEU
nicht_aktiv
VMODE_NIVI_NAVI
nicht_aktiv
FM_FOLLOWING
nicht_aktiv
TOUT_LEGALDISCLAIMER
wert_02
AS_HK_AMFM
nicht_aktiv
NIVI_MENUE_NEU
nicht_aktiv
PDT_LOOK_A
nicht_aktiv
TOUT_SWITCH_HYSTERE_T1
wert_01
TOUT_SWITCH_HYSTERE_T2
wert_04
TOUT_TV_ANWAHL
wert_01
AUFSTART_HAUPTMENUE
aktiv
FARBEINST_ECE_SINGLE
nicht_aktiv
HILFE
aktiv
PROGR_TASTE_CONTR_1
hilfe
PROGR_TASTE_CONTR_2
hilfe
PROGR_TASTE_CONTR_3
navi_letzter_hinweis
PROGR_TASTE_CONTR_4
hilfe
SHOW_ERROR_MOST_ECU
aktiv
ASSIST_HIGH_04
aktiv
AUTO_CAL_ADC
aktiv
NIVI_MFL
nicht_aktiv
LISTH_0306
nicht_aktiv
CHECK
aktiv
HILFE_ALLG
aktiv
KLIMAPFEILE
aktiv
MENUENAME
aktiv
PREV_TELN
aktiv
SERVICE
aktiv
DEAK_BT
nicht_aktiv
IPOD_ADD
aktiv
SICH_DEAK_BT
nicht_aktiv
BMP_DEAK_BT
nicht_aktiv
TEL_LIST_RETRY_TIMER
wert_06
EXNAV_OHNE_VM
nicht_aktiv

JML6278
04-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Hi Jeff, congratulations on your retrofit! Sounds like it went smoothly! The only reason I can think of why NCS won't talk to the new TCU is because $633 is not in the V0. I imagine INPA reads the V0 too so it knows how to handle communication with the modules. It must generate an index of expected units and variants based on the V0 and manufacturing date. After changing my production date I still didn't have the TCU listed in the ECU list in NCS hence why I added $633. It's no biggie of course, If it works don't mess with it!

I'm glad we have all had success with this retrofit, I would never have attempted this of it wasn't for Ace starting this thread in the first place. Now he just needs to tell u how to retrofit this comfort access!

Thanks Stuart, did you add $633 to the VO by writing to CAS and LMA (sorry)? Or did you add it when you changed your production date and thus never wrote it permenantly?

Once I fix these minor issues with the coding, I think retrofitting electric side mirrors might be a nice retrofit for those in need. Also I changed ALL possible lighting to LED but the bulb connected to the fibre in the door still glows a yellowish color. I would love to change these bulbs to white or LED, but the idea of taking appart 4 doors for 4 light bulbs seems dangerous. The comfort access looks like a very costly and complex retrofit even though it is really cool.

Jeff-

stuartjohn24
04-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Thanks Stuart, did you add $633 to the VO by writing to CAS and LMA (sorry)? Or did you add it when you changed your production date and thus never wrote it permenantly?

Once I fix these minor issues with the coding, I think retrofitting electric side mirrors might be a nice retrofit for those in need. Also I changed ALL possible lighting to LED but the bulb connected to the fibre in the door still glows a yellowish color. I would love to change these bulbs to white or LED, but the idea of taking appart 4 doors for 4 light bulbs seems dangerous. The comfort access looks like a very costly and complex retrofit even though it is really cool.

Jeff-

Hi Jeff,

I wrote $633 to the VO using the same method as the the date change, it's just a dummy change, i.e. don't actually write to the CAS or LMA.

I have been looking at exactly the same! I have taken a door apart and it's a custom bulb holder with a connector the same as the angel eye bulbs. The bulbs look similar too. I'm hoping to machine up some adaptors/cups that the fibre optic cable fits into and takes a Chinese LED angel eye bulb. That's not a priority at the mo! LMA and gearbox first!

JML6278
04-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Hi Jeff,

I wrote $633 to the VO using the same method as the the date change, it's just a dummy change, i.e. don't actually write to the CAS or LMA.

I have been looking at exactly the same! I have taken a door apart and it's a custom bulb holder with a connector the same as the angel eye bulbs. The bulbs look similar too. I'm hoping to machine up some adaptors/cups that the fibre optic cable fits into and takes a Chinese LED angel eye bulb. That's not a priority at the mo! LMA and gearbox first!

When it becomes a priority make an extra 4 and I'll pay you. Was taking the door apart difficult? Worth the risk?