PDA

View Full Version : Premium stereo/Nav/BMW apps options

J-Star
02-11-2012, 09:29 PM
I am in the process of ordering a 2012 328i convertible.

Does anyone know the difference between the Harmon Kardon (H-K) surround sound and non-H-K stereo? If the only difference is the surround sound feature, I feel I could live w/o that. However, I love the bass speakers underneath the seats.

If I do get the H-K stereo, I am left with the debate regarding whether or not to get nav. Since I have a great nav system on my phone, I don't feel the need for it, per se. However, my CA told me I must choose either nav or BMW assist, in order to get the H-K stereo. Does the nav system w/ BMW apps do a nice job of running other features, such as internet radio, Pandora, etc?

Lastly, I have an iPhone 4S. Do I need BMW apps to run my iPhone through the stereo, or can I simply run it through the aux/USB?

Thank you, 'festers, for your useful feedback!

anE934fun
02-11-2012, 09:40 PM
If you want the bass speakers under the seats, you are looking at the H-K option. H-K option comes with a requirement to get iDrive (Nav), as the equalizer function requires iDrive display. BMW Apps provides the ability to use snap-in adapters (one is available from dealer parts dept. for the 4S) with the stereo system. The BMW Apps option includes the communications hardware to permit the 4S (via the sap-in adapter) to connect to the car external antenna, the iDrive system and charge the phone while it is in the snap-in adapter. It is a completely integrated solution to telephone (iPhone), iPod and Bluetooth control of your in-car entertainment.

Technic
02-12-2012, 01:19 PM
The Misinformation Dark Side is strong in this one... :rolleyes:

If you want the bass speakers under the seats, you are looking at the H-K option.

Not correct: underseat woofers are standard regardless of OEM system.

H-K option comes with a requirement to get iDrive (Nav), as the equalizer function requires iDrive display.

Not correct: HK EQ is also available in the Professional Radio. The only requirement for the HK option is BMW Assist, not iDrive.

BMW Apps provides the ability to use snap-in adapters (one is available from dealer parts dept. for the 4S) with the stereo system. The BMW Apps option includes the communications hardware to permit the 4S (via the sap-in adapter) to connect to the car external antenna, the iDrive system and charge the phone while it is in the snap-in adapter. It is a completely integrated solution to telephone (iPhone), iPod and Bluetooth control of your in-car entertainment.

Not quite correct: BMW Apps allows the display and control of Pandora, Web Radio, Facebook and Twitter updates and Calendard from the iPhone thru the iDrive screen and controller. The optional snap in adapter for the iPhone adds control and display of iPhone videos and iPod Out.

Technic
02-12-2012, 01:23 PM
I am in the process of ordering a 2012 328i convertible.

Does anyone know the difference between the Harmon Kardon (H-K) surround sound and non-H-K stereo? If the only difference is the surround sound feature, I feel I could live w/o that. However, I love the bass speakers underneath the seats.

If I do get the H-K stereo, I am left with the debate regarding whether or not to get nav. Since I have a great nav system on my phone, I don't feel the need for it, per se. However, my CA told me I must choose either nav or BMW assist, in order to get the H-K stereo. Does the nav system w/ BMW apps do a nice job of running other features, such as internet radio, Pandora, etc?

Lastly, I have an iPhone 4S. Do I need BMW apps to run my iPhone through the stereo, or can I simply run it through the aux/USB?

Thank you, 'festers, for your useful feedback!

My suggestion is to get iDrive, BMW Apps and the HK system... you will have a much better sound, Apps, Bluetooth and control interface from your iPhone. For sure, Pandora and Web Radio will make regular FM, HD Radio and Sat radio irrelevant, plus it will sound much better than any of those sources.

Bill-SD
02-12-2012, 01:27 PM
I'd go iDrive Apps and HK also. Also remember that there is much more to iDrive than just the nav.

SD Z4MR
02-12-2012, 01:31 PM
I'd go iDrive Apps and HK also. Also remember that there is much more to iDrive than just the nav.

I'll add my vote for iDrive and H-K. Don't have an iPhone, don't plan to get one, so I didn't get Apps. I can stream Pandora, Slacker, etc. from my Android phone and iDrive allows me to select the next track.

anE934fun
02-12-2012, 01:44 PM
The Misinformation Dark Side is strong in this one... :rolleyes:
Really? Where do you get your 'knowledge'?

Not correct: underseat woofers are standard regardless of OEM system.
I don't have a 328i with non-HK to reference, so I will say the jury is out on this one. Unless you can post up an official BMW NA document that states sub-woofers are included with the base stereo, it isn't.

Not correct: HK EQ is also available in the Professional Radio. The only requirement for the HK option is BMW Assist, not iDrive.
My bad, but interestingly, once you check the BMW Apps option, you have to get iDrive/Navigation. If memory serves, OP asked about BMW Apps.

Not quite correct: BMW Apps allows the display and control of Pandora, Web Radio, Facebook and Twitter updates and Calendard from the iPhone thru the iDrive screen and controller. The optional snap in adapter for the iPhone adds control and display of iPhone videos and iPod Out.
How do you think BMW Apps accesses the iPhone absent the snap-in adapter? Bluetooth? Not for Pandora, Web Radio, etc. iDrive uses Bluetooth to access telephone and address book info. Maybe calendar, but I haven't tried that.

If you are going to accuse others of passing mis-information, you have a burden of getting all of your facts right.

ctuna
02-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Is included in this link

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641323

BMW stereo types
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352586
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=350502&d=1266451970
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=334282&d=1260829447
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343673
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138949
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=334282&d=1260829447
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=151088&stc=1&d=1209780605
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=151087&stc=1&d=1209780865
http://www.musicarnw.com/page-2/
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=406534&d=1278871872

Pandora radio to my knowledge is only 128kbits per second so don't see how you can talk about hi fidelity and Pandora in the same category. I don't know much about it but when somebody demoed it for me they said it was 128k bit max.

anE934fun
02-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Sounds like 'base' stereo lacks sub-woofers....

ctuna
02-12-2012, 03:38 PM
They are only 6.5 in the base system a bass head would call those tweeters.
The problem with those in the base or even the 8 inchers in the Hi Fi is they have
no real power to drive them. And they are very cheap.

Technic
02-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Really? Where do you get your 'knowledge'?

My knowledge comes from retrofitting all types of OEM equipment in customers and my own BMWs since 1993. Yours?

I don't have a 328i with non-HK to reference, so I will say the jury is out on this one. Unless you can post up an official BMW NA document that states sub-woofers are included with the base stereo, it isn't.

This is not a pissing contest, dude. Look at all E9x since MY2006 in the USA and you will find woofers under the front seats.

My bad, but interestingly, once you check the BMW Apps option, you have to get iDrive/Navigation. If memory serves, OP asked about BMW Apps.

I was correcting your misinformation. I answered the OP in another post.

How do you think BMW Apps accesses the iPhone absent the snap-in adapter? Bluetooth? Not for Pandora, Web Radio, etc. iDrive uses Bluetooth to access telephone and address book info. Maybe calendar, but I haven't tried that.

Let me say this again: the snap in adapter gets you iPod Out and video over the BMW Apps USB port features (Pandora, Web Radio, Facebook/Twitter updates, Calendar).

The snap in adapter is optional with BMW Apps.

If you are going to accuse others of passing mis-information, you have a burden of getting all of your facts right.

I'm not accusing you of passing misinformation, I'm telling you to stop the misinformation and get your "facts" right. You do not know what you are talking about, much less to give anybody any advice with so much misinformation.

Over and out... :tsk:

Verts4Ever
02-12-2012, 05:13 PM
The only requirement for the HK option is BMW Assist

:thumbdwn:

My continuing opinion of the bundling requirement, not the statement.

ibd2328
02-12-2012, 05:18 PM
My 325 with the Professional/hi-fi headunit (non-logic 7) still has factory woofers under the seats. I actually just replaced them with SWS earthquake 8inch 4ohm VC's. So yea, Tech is correct.

macstoy
02-13-2012, 03:37 PM
I would get the HK system. IMHO the base system should not even be standard, do yourself a favor and go the extra cost now and not try to upgrade with aftermarket later...

wanderingheel
02-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Follow up question re: pandora - I wonder if they will be adding the ability for the iphone to multi-task while still allowing the music to stream via pandora. Right now, whenever I leave the app to multi-task with another app, the music stops. Streaming only works when the app is front and center, rather than "active" in the background. Isn't the purpose of multi-tasking on the iphone??? Anyone know where we can leave feedback for BMW for BMW Apps (I'm assuming this is not a Pandora issue because the same thing happens with facebook and twitter as well). Anyone have any ideas?

hyperzulu
02-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Follow up question re: pandora - I wonder if they will be adding the ability for the iphone to multi-task while still allowing the music to stream via pandora. Right now, whenever I leave the app to multi-task with another app, the music stops. Streaming only works when the app is front and center, rather than "active" in the background. Isn't the purpose of multi-tasking on the iphone??? Anyone know where we can leave feedback for BMW for BMW Apps (I'm assuming this is not a Pandora issue because the same thing happens with facebook and twitter as well). Anyone have any ideas?

I don't know, but I wouldn't bother. BMW is implementing Apps in a very conscientious manner. They do not want you multitasking on your phone while you drive. While this may seem unfair, it's the right strategy. If you want to multitask on your phone while travelling, take public transportation.

floydarogers
02-16-2012, 04:11 PM

Even in the de-contenting depths of the 2010 model year, the 6-speaker base stereo had subs under the front seats. However, there wasn't much power. (They added the tweeters back in 2011.)

The non-HK stereo has only 8 speakers (subs, front door mid-range, a-pillar tweeters, rear-deck 3-ways). The HK comes with 13 IIRC. The HK also comes with an amp, so the subs actually are discernible.

anE934fun
02-16-2012, 11:50 PM
My knowledge comes from retrofitting all types of OEM equipment in customers and my own BMWs since 1993. Yours?
Looks like a lot of experience with E9X cars. Perhaps you should concentrate on your sweet spot (pre-E9X)?

snip...

Let me say this again: the snap in adapter gets you iPod Out and video over the BMW Apps USB port features (Pandora, Web Radio, Facebook/Twitter updates, Calendar).

The snap in adapter is optional with BMW Apps.
Are you asserting that an iPhone 4S can be controlled (for other than incoming calls and phonebook (Contacts) integration) from iDrive via Bluetooth?

Toward the objective of helping the OP (and anyone else who cares about BMW Apps, snap-in adapters and the iPhone 4S), perhaps you could suggest a validation scenario?

On January 30th, I took delivery of a 335is E93 equipped with the H-K option and BMW Apps (in addition to Navigation/iDrive and BMW Assist). I purchased the snap-in adapter for the iPhone 4S and I have access to an iPhone 4S for testing purposes. I believe I have the necessary resources to validate your assertion that an iPhone 4S can be controlled using the combination of BMW Apps and iDrive in the absence of the snap-in adapter (you did claim that the snap-in adapter was optional with BMW Apps, right?).

Please define a test scenario where the iPhone 4S can be controlled (such as for Pandora) using BMW Apps without the requirement for the snap-in adapter. I will replicate the test scenario using my 335is E93. If the scenario is successful, I will post a photo of the iDrive screen showing successful control of the iPhone 4S. If the scenario fails, I will likewise post a photo of the iDrive screen showing the failed result.

Technic
02-17-2012, 04:09 AM
Looks like a lot of experience with E9X cars. Perhaps you should concentrate on your sweet spot (pre-E9X)?

snip...

Are you asserting that an iPhone 4S can be controlled (for other than incoming calls and phonebook (Contacts) integration) from iDrive via Bluetooth?

Toward the objective of helping the OP (and anyone else who cares about BMW Apps, snap-in adapters and the iPhone 4S), perhaps you could suggest a validation scenario?

On January 30th, I took delivery of a 335is E93 equipped with the H-K option and BMW Apps (in addition to Navigation/iDrive and BMW Assist). I purchased the snap-in adapter for the iPhone 4S and I have access to an iPhone 4S for testing purposes. I believe I have the necessary resources to validate your assertion that an iPhone 4S can be controlled using the combination of BMW Apps and iDrive in the absence of the snap-in adapter (you did claim that the snap-in adapter was optional with BMW Apps, right?).

Please define a test scenario where the iPhone 4S can be controlled (such as for Pandora) using BMW Apps without the requirement for the snap-in adapter. I will replicate the test scenario using my 335is E93. If the scenario is successful, I will post a photo of the iDrive screen showing successful control of the iPhone 4S. If the scenario fails, I will likewise post a photo of the iDrive screen showing the failed result.

I will do that for you so this conversation can be finally over... :rolleyes:

This is my car clearly shown without the baseplate or snap-in adapter :

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x100/guatibiri/DSCF0708.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x100/guatibiri/DSCF0693.jpg

I can even play video via that iPod/iPhone cable if I want it to with a minor modification:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x100/guatibiri/DSCF0710.jpg

sonitm
02-17-2012, 09:44 AM
I would get the standard sound, then you can always upgrade later at a fraction of the cost. And you won't have to deal with all the software headaches later...

hyperzulu
02-17-2012, 10:04 AM
I would get the standard sound, then you can always upgrade later at a fraction of the cost. And you won't have to deal with all the software headaches later...

Are you sure about that? For $895 or whatever it is, I think you're way more likely to end up spending more later if you want to have someone upgrade your system. I like loud, clear music in my car, and really the only place this system is lacking is in the sub-stage. It's there, but it's not the loudest...but then again, I had one of these in my last car:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/superribbit/eD/CIMG1653.jpg

marcoVU
02-17-2012, 10:43 AM
I can even play video via that iPod/iPhone cable if I want it to with a minor modification:

Please explain. I would love to be able to stream video onto the screen. I just got the dealer to throw in the snap-in adapter that is supposed to support video when I bought earlier this week. However, I understand that it only does video from itunes. I would love to be able to stream from other apps, such as slingbox.

Technic
02-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Please explain. I would love to be able to stream video onto the screen. I just got the dealer to throw in the snap-in adapter that is supposed to support video when I bought earlier this week. However, I understand that it only does video from itunes. I would love to be able to stream from other apps, such as slingbox.

That's video from iTunes... what you are looking for is a generic video/iDrive screen interface like this one: http://alekshop.com/products/multimedia_interface_2009

Verts4Ever
02-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Are you sure about that? For $895 or whatever it is, I think you're way more likely to end up spending more later if you want to have someone upgrade your system.

+1. I did a lot of research before my wife and I decided to opt for the HK system, and "E9x aftermarket stereo upgrade" and "fraction of the cost" aren't two phrases that I would use in the same sentence.