PDA

View Full Version : Hill Descent Control

southern6er22
02-13-2012, 08:44 PM
Has anyone used Hill Descent Control on a 650xi? I got to play with the feature on some X5s at the Performance Center over the weekend, and it is a pretty cool little button. Taking your foot away from the brake as you are about to go down a really steep incline is a bit scary, but the thing worked every time. The X5 has a good bit of ground clearance (obviously necessary on an off-roader), but I was just curious if anyone has used it in the coupe that can't clear most curbs. I want to know where everyone is utilizing it in a car like this.

Side Note: I was really impressed with the X5 on the off-road course at the Performance Center. I know the course was designed specifically for that car, but the course really highlights the body rigidity and its balance. There is one part where the back right tire goes about 2 feet off the ground at the top of a hill. It is really scary seeing it from the base of the hill and being in the car as it happens, but the car just sticks to the course and moves down the hill with complete control.

Itinj6
02-14-2012, 12:13 AM
We have The HDC on the X6. Was actually wondering what it does. I pressed it a few times but all I got was little green LED on the button telling me that I pressed it.

southern6er22
02-14-2012, 09:47 AM
It is kinda like cruise control for going down steep slopes. You press it and it automatically takes over the braking for you as you go down the hill. It defaults to about 5 mph, and I think that can be regulated with the cruise control buttons. It's a little scary taking your foot away from the pedal and trusting that the system is going to engage as you start moving down the hill, but it actually works very well. The entire time I was on the course I was imagining how the 6er would descend fine until you got to the bottom and broke the bumper off.

Itinj6
02-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Hmm interesting. There are plenty of steep slopes around my way. I gotta test this out.

petriej
02-14-2012, 04:35 PM
It has to be a steep hill for you to really notice. I took my X5 down through the 'Grapevine' north of LA on I-5 and I found it a little annoying... I can see it being useful in really steep areas, though.

southern6er22
02-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Yeah, that's why I'm thinking it is kinda pointless for this car. Not necessary for mild inclines, and you'll end up in the body shop if you attempt it on something too steep. Can I swap this feature for an automatic trunk?

leejae76
02-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Aweasome in nyc on snow - especially near cliff area on hudson river on nj side. Lot of downhills.

southern6er22
02-14-2012, 09:09 PM
That makes sense. Glad to know someone is using it for more than just a tactile reference for the parking sensor button lol.

leejae76
02-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Lol! :-)

JONNYCHIRO
02-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Why? Why would you want your vehicle to do that for you?

I used to live in SF. I get what a hill is. :)

I cannot fathom why this feature even exists. There was a need? Really?
Why?

Drivers don't downshift/engine brake and brake at the wheel successfully on a steep downhill slope? You can Fail at this? How? :(

If I sound like a jerk: Sorry. I am. But I'm honestly not trying to be in this instance ;)

:(

southern6er22
02-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Haha. It's one more feature they can say they offer, I suppose. I can see it's use off road (although maybe not completely necessary), but I'd like to know how many X5s are actually used as off-readers - and the fleet they have for the "other roads" course at the PC doesn't count.

petriej
02-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Why? Why would you want your vehicle to do that for you?

I used to live in SF. I get what a hill is. :)

Why?

Drivers don't downshift/engine brake and brake at the wheel successfully on a steep downhill slope? You can Fail at this? How? :(

If I sound like a jerk: Sorry. I am. But I'm honestly not trying to be in this instance ;)

:(

I agree man. However, playing the Devil's Advocate, I present you with this:

The same logical thinking can be used for the 'feature' of an automatic transmission, which I'm sure many of us have and use.

------------------------
Why?

Drivers don't upshift/downshift manually successfully on a steep slope? You can Fail at shifting? How? :(

And yet, we have plenty of automatic transmissions out there allowing drivers to be lazy. It's a feature that has seen great success here. Now, arguably, you could say that the usefulness of the two features make them incomparable, but excusing that, I'd say it's a valid argument.

JONNYCHIRO
02-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Ok you're wrong. They invented the automatic transmission so my Dad could shift gears while reaching behind him to smack both my brother and I for fighting in the backseat.

I do recall a trip to SF and a beating we got all winding way down Lombard. ;);););););)

Also, auto's were invented to free up our hands for other essential things like back in the day smoking Camel Umfiltered or woofing down a Roy Rogers Roast Beef while winding through the gears onto the parkway.

Today we need a free hand to text and for itinj to apply his eye liner. ;) etc.

What do we need a free foot for???

southern6er22
02-16-2012, 05:47 PM
For this type of car I love the auto. The toggle switch is enough control for me - Sport all the time, but I switch it down to Comfort if I see a cop or pull into the neighborhood and want to keep the noise down.

Itinj6
02-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Ok you're wrong. They invented the automatic transmission so my Dad could shift gears while reaching behind him to smack both my brother and I for fighting in the backseat.

I do recall a trip to SF and a beating we got all winding way down Lombard. ;);););););)

Also, auto's were invented to free up our hands for other essential things like back in the day smoking Camel Umfiltered or woofing down a Roy Rogers Roast Beef while winding through the gears onto the parkway.

Today we need a free hand to text and for itinj to apply his eye liner. ;) etc.

What do we need a free foot for???

Hey hey, how else am I supposed to keep this mug all pretty?

leejae76
03-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Trust me. Long downward hill covered with snow. You'll use it. SF prob dont need it.

southern6er22
03-01-2012, 08:20 PM
I haven't seen my driveway covered in snow since I was 7. Guess I won't be playing with this feature too much. I could take it with me next time I go to Aspen - wonder how much that would cost in gas? lol

thom.one.two
03-01-2012, 08:58 PM
It was 81 degrees in Houston today. I was in NYC for the one day this year that was 72 degrees. This week I kept looking at my weather ap, and it kept predicting rain, and 29 degrees by Monday. I was really looking forward to one more cold snap (well, not 29...) until I noticed I had it set for NYC. The heat is here. I think my chance to use this feature is slim to none.

southern6er22
03-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Yep. Same here. February 29 felt slightly wintery - not cold but not hot either.

March 1st - ripped the sweatshirt off the second I was out the door and broke a sweat walking to class... 100 yards away from my dorm lol.

Itinj6
03-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Yep. Same here. February 29 felt slightly wintery - not cold but not hot either.

March 1st - ripped the sweatshirt off the second I was out the door and broke a sweat walking to class... 100 yards away from my dorm lol.

Some guys at my college had those motorized razor scooter thingies. I was so jealous, until I got my sport bike and just parked outside the door of the lecture building.

southern6er22
03-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Don't think I could justify that for 100 yards... 200 yards and I think I'd do it lol.

Itinj6
03-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Don't think I could justify that for 100 yards... 200 yards and I think I'd do it lol.

Lol, well they also used to get from one end of the campus to the other. The walk was miserable in the short window that we had 90 deg heat.

Even the commuters kept them in the trunk of their cars.