PDA

View Full Version : Blue Antifreeze

vping
02-14-2012, 08:41 AM
I've seen several threads with people discussing the use of the "Blue Antifreeze" Why is this so special? I'll be replacing the radiator in my '97 528I so figured I'd start asking about this now and wait for the rad to come in.

aioros
02-14-2012, 08:48 AM
The Blue Stuff or BMW Antifreeze is the one designed and recommended by BMW. It's a different formula than the American made counterpart.

cn90
02-14-2012, 08:51 AM
It is special because the color is Blue and has BMW logo.

I have been using Prestone Green on all of my BMWs for 25 years, zero problem.
In fact, for the last 6 years, my E39 has been running on "Prestone Green Long Life".

jygesq
02-14-2012, 09:50 AM

In fact, for the last 6 years, my E39 has been running on "Prestone Green Long Life". maybe bluish green

JimLev
02-14-2012, 10:04 AM

In fact, for the last 6 years, my E39 has been running on "Prestone Green Long Life".

CN, quick Volvo question.
Do the older Volvos also not recommend changing the coolant? My wifes 2001 S60 owners manual says it never needs to be changed, dealer says the same.
Probably just like the BMW lifetime tranny and diff fluids I imagine.

teklord69
02-14-2012, 10:08 AM
I use Preston also the one with 50/50 mix that you can mix with all types of coolant and all colors.

cn90
02-14-2012, 10:33 AM
CN, quick Volvo question.
Do the older Volvos also not recommend changing the coolant? My wifes 2001 S60 owners manual says it never needs to be changed, dealer says the same.
Probably just like the BMW lifetime tranny and diff fluids I imagine.

Yeah,

I am aware of the Volvo thing too. As we discussed many times here, the engine metal (iron or aluminum block, aluminum head) has not changed for 40 years.

Many years ago, Prestone said change coolant every 2y/24K.
Then there was this "invention" of long-life coolant. I am not a chemist so I don't know the differences between Prestone (or Zerex etc.) from 1980s 1990s and 2012.
Then many car mfgs out there say: coolant is good for the life of the car, whatever that means.

I am a "moderate", i.e., I am an independent, not a Republican or Democrat. So I strike in the middle. Having said that, I ignore mfg's recommendation re coolant. I modified Prestone Long-Life recommendation of "5y/100K, whichever comes first". I change coolant every 5y/50K (a bit overkill but what do I know).

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2002/ic90236.htm

COOLANT
Check the coolant level, strength and condition. The coolant reservoir should be maintained at the full level, otherwise air pockets may form inside the radiator, which can cause cooling problems and overheating. If the level is low, the system should be inspected for possible leaks (hoses, radiator, freeze plugs, etc.). If there are no visible leaks, do a pressure test to check for internal leaks (leaky head gasket, cracked head or block).

The strength of the coolant should be adequate to provide freezing protection to the lowest anticipated temperatures for your area. A 50/50 mix of water and ethylene glycol antifreeze will normally protect down to -34 degrees F. If greater freezing protection is required, the mix can be increased up to 70 percent antifreeze, but no higher since straight antifreeze does not cool as efficiently as does a mixture of water and antifreeze.

The condition of the coolant is also important and should be checked yearly. If the coolant is discolored, contains sediment or is worn out (chemical test strips can reveal the level of corrosion inhibitor left in the coolant), it needs to be changed.

With traditional antifreeze, the recommended change interval is every two to three years or 30,000 miles. With extended life products, the interval may be 5 years or 100,000 miles (which ever comes first). For most vehicles, that means changing the coolant every five years - and not waiting until the coolant has 100,000 or more miles on it.

If the cooling system is dirty, use a cleaner to remove the harmful deposits and sediment. Then flush the system and refill with fresh or recycled coolant. Use the type of coolant recommended in your owners manual.

redbull713
02-14-2012, 10:40 AM
I don't know the chemical differences between the different antifreezes out there however I will warn you guys to stay away from the pre-mixed "50/50" stuff. Believe me it is NOT 50/50. You are paying for mostly water.

cn90
02-14-2012, 10:43 AM
I don't know the chemical differences between the different antifreezes out there however I will warn you guys to stay away from the pre-mixed "50/50" stuff. Believe me it is NOT 50/50. You are paying for mostly water.

1+,

Yeah, I only use full concentrate.

BTW, have you ever tested a premix to see what it is good down to ? -30F or whatever they claim to be?

teklord69
02-14-2012, 10:45 AM
cn90, you use full concentrate and mix it yourself with distilled water right? Just wanted to clarify.

redbull713
02-14-2012, 10:47 AM
1+,

Yeah, I only use full concentrate.

BTW, have you ever tested a premix to see what it is good down to ? -30F or whatever they claim to be?

In school we measured the 'specific gravity' of the antifreeze with a spectrum hydrometer but I cannot remember what it protected down to, I'll have to ask my instructors. It most definitely was not 50/50 mix as the bottle says. As always, caveat emptor.

teklord69
I have been using that 50/50 now for years and even on the hottest Socal weather, not issues..Wasnt aware that is not true 50/50 mix. It's not that I don't believe it but what proof is there that its almost all water? Can't they be sued for false advertisement?

cn90
cn90, you use full concentrate and mix it yourself with distilled water right? Just wanted to clarify.

Yes!
Distilled water from Walgreen etc.

teklord69
02-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Well, just realize it never gets freezing here in Socal. So thats why I dont have issues with this 50/50 stuff?

Jason5driver
02-14-2012, 10:55 AM
I use OEM BMW blue coolant with distilled water (50-50 mixed).

Threads:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297908&page=2

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1423053

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1156309

cn90
02-14-2012, 11:03 AM
In school we measured the 'specific gravity' of the antifreeze with a spectrum hydrometer but I cannot remember what it protected down to, I'll have to ask my instructors. It most definitely was not 50/50 mix as the bottle says. As always, caveat emptor.

Wow,

Please post your "scientific data" for others to see!!!

I use concentrate only but others may benefit from your data.

teklord69
02-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Now I think about it, when I pour that 50/50 stuff its not exactly 'watery', in fact it looks somewhat thick. So it can't be almost all water. Also I took a sip of that stuff and its pretty sweet..can't be mostly water!

cn90
02-14-2012, 11:14 AM
... Also I took a sip of that stuff and its pretty sweet..can't be mostly water!

Do not ever drink any antifreeze!

Methanol (no longer used in antifreeze but is in washer fluid) ---> Alcohol dehydrogenase ---> Formic Acid = Blindness

Ethylene Glycol ---> Alcohol dehydrogenase---> Glycoaldehyde ---> Trouble trouble and trouble....read on:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/814701-overview#a0104

abanjableu
02-14-2012, 02:48 PM
I figure I will spend more on coolant once a year vs risk damaging my water cooled alternator!

mifesto
02-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Do not ever drink any antifreeze!

Methanol (no longer used in antifreeze but is in washer fluid) ---> Alcohol dehydrogenase ---> Formic Acid = Blindness

Ethylene Glycol ---> Alcohol dehydrogenase---> Glycoaldehyde ---> Trouble trouble and trouble....read on:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/814701-overview#a0104

i think he's joking :) but yeah if it was mostly water you'd be able to tell i'd say. 50/50 is fairly thick. infact even in NJ weather i never go 50/50, more like 40/60. now if you drain my coolant system you'll notice how light colored and thin it is :) and no i dont slurp it for testing :rofl:

NZ BMW
02-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Also I took a sip of that stuff and its pretty sweet..can't be mostly water!

:rofl:

Rather than wiping my dipstick I just give it a lick to see how fresh my oil is.

1999 BMW 540i 6
02-14-2012, 08:59 PM

Rather than wiping my dipstick I just give it a lick to see how fresh her oil is.

Do you give it the sniff test first? :rofl::rofl:

teklord69
02-14-2012, 09:14 PM

Rather than wiping my dipstick I just give it a lick to see how fresh my oil is.

I wish i can lick my own dipstick ;)

NZ BMW
02-14-2012, 10:04 PM
I wish i can lick my own dipstick ;)

I knew as soon as I posted, that it would be taken out of context! :rofl:

Trebbia
02-15-2012, 09:18 AM
If you want blue, you can buy dye from the craft shop so you can dye the green stuff blue.

Then it would be the same thing in effect.

I wonder what color dye you need though to turn green to blue?

NoWayJose
02-15-2012, 09:31 AM
If you want blue, you can buy dye from the craft shop so you can dye the green stuff blue.

Then it would be the same thing in effect.

I wonder what color dye you need though to turn green to blue?

you mix yellow and green :thumbup: lol

abanjableu
02-15-2012, 10:41 AM
BMW really uses blue so when you see a puddle in the parking lot you know it is from your car and it reminds you to call BMW! Seriously though on the i6 I would run whatever...my alternator does scare me and for that reason I run the blue.

rdorman
02-15-2012, 10:43 AM
I don't know why any one would use any thing aside from the BMW coolent. It works, and works very well. Plus at about $12 a gallon it is a really good price for an extended interval coolant.

vping
02-15-2012, 11:28 AM
I don't know why any one would use any thing aside from the BMW coolent. It works, and works very well. Plus at about $12 a gallon it is a really good price for an extended interval coolant.

Only available at the dealer right?

rdorman
02-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Only available at the dealer right?

I mail order mine but I guess convienence could be one reason.

uncmozo
02-15-2012, 12:06 PM
I mail order mine but I guess convienence could be one reason.

Local BMW dealer in Ridgefield CT used to have Saturday hours, but stopped doing it, so they lost my business. Convenience is an issue.

Jason5driver
02-16-2012, 10:05 AM
I wonder if the Amsoil coolant would be safe to run in our cars...?
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ant.aspx

Also notice this post from The Mad Hatter:
the green stuff eats the aluminum alloy of the head. a friend was taking apart a 528i's cooling system and discovered heavy pitting throughout the exposed coolant passages. stick with BMW's blue stuff or Pentosin. you can't go wrong with using the right product the first time and every time, especially when you have the time to plan out the project.

please don't use the green stuff.

Thread:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1423053

Solo12
02-16-2012, 11:35 AM
I remember mike miller in roundel always recommending bmw antifreeze. I think he said it was because he knew the quality was good and while there may be other brands out there that are good it is simpler to use a known quantity. Versus dissecting the ingredients of brand x and to figure out if it was just as good. I do remember him saying the antifreeze being phosphate free was very important. Maybe now everything is phosphate free, but it might be worth it to check when buying another brand.