PDA

View Full Version : My Opinion after 4 months of ownership

thom.one.two
02-14-2012, 11:59 PM
Having owned a 2009 650 convertible that I liked okay, I anticipated improvements with the new 650. Sure the old 650 was a good car. It never gave me a second's problem. It had the features that I like in a car, but when I bumped into the garage wall a few times, scraped the curb here and there, and wore the side bolsters of the driver's seat a bit, I really couldn't have cared less. That's because I liked it, but I didn't love it. All has changed with the new 650. So let's start with the dislikes about my F12 M Sport Vert: 1) That darned trunk. I HATE not having a power raise/lower trunk. 2) No soft-close door option? Come on. 3) 3" of knee space in the back seat? Really? Nothing surprising for those of us who already have one.

But that's about all I can find that seriously get on my nerves (other than when BMW decides to allow the states to get these options, and there I will be $120K later and yea...that's the 4) complaint...$113,000, plus radar, plus incidentals, plus tax and you are north of 120. Yikes). Back to the point. But when you look at the cars in this class, none come close to my F12.

1) The car is just stop the train gorgeous. Not that I want the looks, but I get just as many looks when driving my F12 as when I'm in my Panamera S. The looks in the Panamera tend to be "WTF?" while the F12 are "Damn, that's nice looking." And that is what the old 6er missed. I can't wait to park, so that I can look at it from the outside. I haven't had that in a car in a long time. Every single angle is just beautiful, and I actually love the chrome accents on the vert. My old 6 had shadowline trim around the convertilble boot, and I think the chome looks much better on the vert.
2) The interior is perfect. Every single surface seems to have been created around me and for me. The seats are sculped and comfortable, the buttons and knobs feel high quality, and the technology is through the roof. I can't live without the camera package and parking assistant. I never have to guess if I'm going to contact the curb anymore. I can see in the camera now or I can allow the car to park for me. I do recommend that BMW follow the Porsche in making the sensors cut on at low speeds, though. When I pull into a parking space, the cameras don't work unless I engage reverse first, or press the button for the cameras. I also find it odd that the parking cameras don't pick up parking curbs on the front of the car. I don't want to get too close in the front, so I rely only on the auditory warning as the cameras don't see directly in front of the car. I'd also like to control the passanger seat through the icontrol like in the 7.
3) The Bang and Olefsen sound system deserves its own line. Wow! From the beauty that the speakers bring to the cabin by day, and even more so with the glow at night, to the awe inspiring sound that is truly amazing, it is by far my favorite feature. I've just never heard song's sound so good...Freddie Mercury hits notes that I haven't heard for all of these years...Rihanna has bass that makes you think your clothes are moving, and Adele is so clear when you watch her Albert Hall concert CD while driving (thanks to UncleBnz's suggestion to trick the car into thinking that you are in Europe). This is a costly ticket item, but I can't imagine my car without it.
4) And then there is performance. The car is blazing fast. I've gotten 0-60 in approximately 4.5 seconds. I think it is quicker than the Porsche, but I have relied only on the Porsche's Chrono to give me the 0-60 times. I timed the Bimmer myself. The transmission is just so smooth and good, I can't believe it. I do like the feel of the automated manual, and this is a true automatic, but I have grown to really appreciate the mating of this engine with this transmission. The V8 sound is unreal. The gurgles and pops make it sound like a muscle car from the 60's. Mine has active steering. I love it in town, but on the freeway it seems to need attention all of the time. My previous 6 didn't have IAS, and I always thought that I missed it. With the new 6, the more I drive it, the more I adjust to the sensitivity on the freeway and the more I appreciate the car feeling so easy to turn. But it does need constant attention, especially when the wind is blowing, so the IAS is neutral for me. I think I like it, but might not spend my money on it next time.
5) Overall, I'd rather drive my 6 than the Porsche any day of the week. Sure I can press a button to raise or lower my trunk in the Panamera, but that's about all that I like more about the Porsche. This time BMW has the chemistry for me to stay away from my garage walls, watch everytime I get within feet of a curb, and want to just sit and obsorb this car in and out.

car-fan
02-15-2012, 05:46 AM
Excellent writeup:thumbup::thumbup: Couldn't agree more the F12 "and" F13 6 Series are in a class of their own. :)

southern6er22
02-15-2012, 07:42 AM
Great review! I agree with everything you said. The interior is a great improvement above most other BMWs (not counting a loaded 7 Series). I drove 7 to 8 different BMWs at the Performance Center last weekend (all 2010 or later), and this really highlighted the refinement of the 650. Even in a loaded X5 I did not feel like I was in a true luxury vehicle. It was nice with Nevada leather, bamboo, and plenty of toys, but the Nappa feels like it is of a different class. The shape of the dash, in addition to being covered in Nappa and having the contraast stitching, is unique and makes the car feel special.

I'm with you on staring at the car every time I get out. It is beautiful in any light from any angle. It is truly a head-turner. I've only seen one convertible driving around where I live, so they are rare in these parts, but I definitely feel like everyone is staring at me when I'm sitting in traffic or driving around town.

The speed and handling are truly amazing. I love driving the M3, but it just doesn't have the toys and the luxury. I think the 6er comes pretty close in performance (especially given its size) while making you feel like you're driving a Nappa-covered tech toy.

Houston Bimmer
02-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Great Review! I agree with your comments. The only other negative is I wish they would make a better adapter for my iphone. I have been through 3 so far and every now and again I have to un snap it an re snap it to get connectivity.

The best part of your review is your comparison to the Panamera. I seriously thought about it, but being more of a BMW person believed I would be happier. I love the indpendent review of an owner of both.

I am with you and REALLY hate not having soft close doors and a power trunk. Those are the things I miss most from my old 750.

Leslierc
02-15-2012, 09:15 AM
I appreciated your comments regarding the Panamera, which I seriously was considering when I stepped out of my M6 lease. However, desiring a V8, AWD car, I couldn't rationalize the extra bucks Porsche wanted for the 4-S, when BMW and Audi were offering that and much more car for less dough. I still like the looks of the Panamera inside and out even though I think the V8 version is way over-priced.

unclebnz
02-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Love the wait up. It felt like you were in my head. I took possession of my car in sept and already have 9000 miles. I can't seem to stay out of the car. Not only do woman stare at the car but guys are always giving me the thumbs up. My only issue is the cradle for the IPhone. I was told by the service manager that BMW is working on a new version of the cradle. I am constantly waiting for the part number to change so I can bitch. If I complain enough they will probably exchange it of no cost. I am also hoping that they integrate e-mail and text messages like the blackberry. Other than that can't wait till warm weather so I can drop the top.

unlaidenswallow
02-15-2012, 09:20 AM
I am with you and REALLY hate not having soft close doors and a power trunk. Those are the things I miss most from my old 750.

Thanks for the review Thom - always enjoy your insights. And loving the fact that we all have to search so hard to find things "wrong" that the only consistent items seem to be closing the trunk and doors!

I certainly do agree those would be nice options to have - maybe more so the trunk than the doors - but now that I've had my car for a week there is something I'm wondering - might there be a difference (structure? air flow?) between the coupe and the vert?

I've read all the complaints about the trunk being hard to close (yes - led by you Southern ;)) and my experience seems to be a little different. I definitely don't need to slam mine or close it with force. For example, I was testing it a little bit this morning on the way to work. If I pull down the trunk very slowly, it gets to a point maybe a little more than half way closed that gravity takes over. I can pull it very slowly to that point and then simply let go it closes and latches perfectly. That NEVER would have worked on my 5. Now don't get me wrong - I still think they absolutely should have included the close button - and wouldn't be a bit surprised to see it show up on the '13s - but the only force needed on mine is getting it going.

Similarly on the doors - it doesn't seem to me there is any additional force needed to close the doors than my previous 5 - or any other car for that matter. I definitely wouldn't say I feel like I need to slam the door and the three people who have been in the passenger seat so far haven't had any issues at all.

Is that different than what others are finding - particularly if you have a coupe? Or is it just something we all feel a $100k car should have?

thom.one.two
02-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Unlaiden, I agree totally with you. My trunk is easy to close, and my doors are easy to close, too. But having owned a M5 with soft close doors, and seeing the 7 with the trunk button, and having paid about 20K more for the 6 than the 7, I'd rather not touch the trunk. I get my cars washed at Aqua in Houston. They are awesome. I usually take the Panamera and then take the 6. Every single time, I see the people struggle to close the trunk...not because it is hard to close. They hit the lock button. They look around for another button. Then they grab the exterior of it and close it. The Panamera has the same lock button as the 6, but next to it there is a close button.

My '09 didn't have either feature, but it was a different class of car. I think the M6 in '09 had soft close doors, but I've never seen the trunk operated on any 6.

But life is good when your only complaint is having to close the door yourself.

The cradle...you are right. I have to push in at the back of the cradle to get my iphone to be picked up by the car. I found that when I snap it in, if I push down on the metal piece that is adjacent to the circular button on my iphone, my iphone is recognized immediately. I just thought it was a connection issue with my unit and was waiting to have them check it when I go in for service. It was a gift from my salesman, so I hate to complain too much.

Itinj6
02-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Great Review!!!

With regards to the front bumper and curbs, I found something pretty cool. If you hit the side view camera button, there is are two yellow bars that give the orientation of the front of the car and they make a right angle coming from the left and right side. If you fit that right angle made by the yellow orientation bars to where they are flush with the camera image of the curb, it puts you on perfect distance from the curb. About 6-12 inches away from your front bumper. Also, I don't know if you are familiar with this but I did an experiment. For the top view camera image, the car on the image has a bar in front of it that turns red when you are very close to a curb in front of you. The bar only turns red, however, if your bumper will NOT clear the curb. Test it out, but very carefully and see what I'm talking about. Just be mindful that sometimes when you put the car it park, it may roll forward a hair which can make a difference if you are dangerously close. I stop the car just when the bar turns red and that's fine.

I would've liked side view camera for the rear bumper as well. Backing out of a spot with an SUV parked next to you at a supermarket may be sucky if someone is walking by with a shopping cart. The view out the side-rear isn't the greatest.

Also, hardtop convertible with a glass roof or a sunroof on the coupe that slides open along with rear quarter windows that roll down like the MB CL. Wonder if the 650 GC will have that being that it has a longer roof.

JONNYCHIRO
02-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Thom great take on the ride.
I resonate w so much of what you conveyed ('cept I don't have another ride in the garage like you do. Nevermind your 2nd vehicle is such an ass kicker!);)

I'm stopped at a light but will post some of my own pithy thoughts on the ride too.

For now: just walked out of the gym to my car far off in the lot. It's a gorgeous sunny day (suck it Jersey Boy itinj :;)). Walking to the vehicle at the 7 o'clock position--Dear God She's ****ing Hot!!!!!!

southern6er22
02-15-2012, 11:02 AM
I guess I have become the team captain for non-auto trunk b!tching lol.

The coupe trunk requires a bit of force to get closed with the coupe. Gravity does not lend a helping hand. If I don't pull it just right it won't latch and I have to do it again. I even knocked the light out one of the first times I tried it - snapped right back in. I'm getting used to the footwell and remote buttons for opening as the Roundel handle is more trouble than it is worth - especially if I have stuff in my hands that hang down and could scratch the paint. I will give them points for a big trunk. I can really fit a good bit of stuff if it is strategically placed.

I've only had 2 occasions where the door didn't close properly (once mine, once a passenger). I didn't realize it until I had taken off and heard the wind noise and saw the error message in the display. It doesn't require a lot of force, but it will sometimes only partially latch and the window won't go back up and seal. It's just a problem I feel like I shouldn't be having in this level of a vehicle. Maybe it is different with the vert as the doors are different.

I don't have a dock as I keep an old, inactivated iPhone in the armrest as an iPod, and it stays in there all the time. I have had a few connection issues where I get in the car and start driving then realize my music isn't playing. It usually connects if I press the home button. No apparent rhyme or reason to it, but it's happened about half a dozen times.

I complained about the trunk, doors, and shadowline in my post-purchase survey - not that it'll help us much. I just wanted to express my displeasure about the obvious shortcomings. My 2 cents anyway.

thom.one.two
02-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Itinj6, I do the same thing with the parking cameras. I wait until the bar turns red and then I stop. It is blind faith though. Just one more camera and then no blind spots around the entire car. I agree about the sunroof. That is the only drawback to the vert. I wish it had glass up there, which will never, ever happen. Not sure why BMW hasn't installed it on the 3er though, or the Z4. Glass would require a retractable hard top, and I think that the canvas roof adds class that would be lost with an alum top IMAO. The coupe's sunroof should open, though. I have no idea why that can't be fixed. And on the subject, why no panarama top on the 3, 5, or 7?

I will try the angled cameras. I have yet to use them.

Johnny, yesterday was 72 degrees and gloriously sunny. My top is still down in the garage. Today is rainy :(

BUT, what about that damned M6? Jeez! I wish I had waited! That blue vert/interior...jeez that's a hot car. I see my next ride for sure. I would have never chosen blue, but Christ that car is hot.

Itinj6
02-15-2012, 11:11 AM
I certainly do agree those would be nice options to have - maybe more so the trunk than the doors - but now that I've had my car for a week there is something I'm wondering - might there be a difference (structure? air flow?) between the coupe and the vert?

Being an aerodynamics major, there is definitely a difference in airflow over the soft cloth roof vs a hard smooth roof. I'm sure it is negligible in a car but the bumps in the soft roof (where the structural braces are) and just the texture of the cloth creates parasitic drag (form drag and skin friction drag, respectively). This is definitely more noticeable in a wing though, but will show up in a wind tunnel regardless.

There is also a difference with structure. Torsional force plays a roll here with the omission of a fixed roof. The fixed roof keeps the car from twisting. I read a review about the F12 and the reviewer described the feel of driving a convertible to a wet noodle. However, he did say that the F12 was the stiffest Vert he has ever drove and torsion on it wasnt bad at all. Also, my friend, who is restoring a '69 GTO convertible, said that when he was researching chassis for his car, the vert and the coupe were different with different part #s. He said the chassis for the vert was thicker and more reinforced.

Itinj6
02-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Thom great take on the ride.
I resonate w so much of what you conveyed ('cept I don't have another ride in the garage like you do. Nevermind your 2nd vehicle is such an ass kicker!);)

I'm stopped at a light but will post some of my own pithy thoughts on the ride too.

For now: just walked out of the gym to my car far off in the lot. It's a gorgeous sunny day (suck it Jersey Boy itinj :;)). Walking to the vehicle at the 7 o'clock position--Dear God She's ****ing Hot!!!!!!

Hey hey, is that nice? Lol.

JONNYCHIRO
02-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Being an aerodynamics major, there is definitely a difference in airflow over the soft cloth roof vs a hard smooth roof. I'm sure it is negligible in a car but the bumps in the soft roof (where the structural braces are) and just the texture of the cloth creates parasitic drag (form drag and skin friction drag, respectively). This is definitely more noticeable in a wing though, but will show up in a wind tunnel regardless.

There is also a difference with structure. Torsional force plays a roll here with the omission of a fixed roof. The fixed roof keeps the car from twisting. I read a review about the F12 and the reviewer described the feel of driving a convertible to a wet noodle. However, he did say that the F12 was the stiffest Vert he has ever drove and torsion on it wasnt bad at all. Also, my friend, who is restoring a '69 GTO convertible, said that when he was researching chassis for his car, the vert and the coupe were different with different part #s. He said the chassis for the vert was thicker and more reinforced.

^i bet most (if not all) of that post was made up bull****. But he's too smart and I'm not smart enough to know any different. ;);$;$;);).

Nah I kid the Lieutenant.

Even a mope like me know there's gotta be a drag diff up top and a structural diff underneath to hold her tight...

Itinj6
02-15-2012, 11:21 AM
^i bet most (if not all) of that post was made up bull****. But he's too smart and I'm not smart enough to know any different. ;);$;$;);).

Nah I kid the Lieutenant.

Even a mope like me know there's gotta be a drag diff up top and a structural diff underneath to hold her tight...

Would you like me to post the drag formulas for the aforementioned?

***please say no... I forgot them promptly after I graduated*** lol.

JONNYCHIRO
02-15-2012, 11:25 AM
I keep forgetting to tell u Itinj (this is as good as any place.)

Your goalie stuff WILL fit in the coupe trunk. It's absolutely cavernous.

Unless your toting the goal itself (even then if it's collapsible) you'll fit.

It's got so much room they even put the legroom for the back seats in there. Fo' Rizzle My Dizzle!

It will fit.

Itinj6
02-15-2012, 11:32 AM
LOL

I hope you're right. I left my goalie crap in the X6 which my Fiancée took to work but I will take a pic of the gargantuan size of my equipment bags and post it later. Two sticks as well. Then I have to somehow get it in without scratching or scuffing the trunk molding/deck. The bag has wheels and a rigid plastic bottom. Nothing more I hate than a scratched/scuffed interior.

thom.one.two
02-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Agree on the stiffness from coupe to vert. Add to that the sound system sounds much better in the coupe, too. The top absorbs a lot of sound and there isn't any waves bouncing around in there. Surprisingly, I think the rear seat legroom is about the same. I didn't notice a difference when I drove the manager's car.

I'm just all about the sun and wind. I probably will always have a convertible in some form. Hopefully, in M6 form. LOL.

JONNYCHIRO
02-15-2012, 03:55 PM
What's your favorite angle of how the vehicle sits?????!

From the front M package and long hood (not to mention blacked out grille) she's just nasty mean and gorgeous.

From 7 o'clock seeing her back end and side all the to the front. Big ass 20's double spoked hotness. That's a sight too.

(oh and every day I'm digging the black trim more.) The aluminum
Looks classy for sure but the black--don't play!!!!

thom.one.two
02-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Seven o'clock for me. I like the flying buttresses and super small rear window. I also like ten o'clock so that you can see the artist's idea of shark and water.

unlaidenswallow
02-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Seven o'clock for me. I like the flying buttresses and super small rear window.

+1 for the vert. (or I guess 5:00 based on my sig :D)

JONNYCHIRO
02-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Thom check out this month issue of Auto Week.
Sorry PM won't allow to send pic.
Sorry for derail. ;)

petriej
02-17-2012, 01:15 PM

The chassis for the vert and coupe are supposedly so different that the cars are designed from the chassis up, separately. That's the way it was with the E63/64. The stiffness is historically better in the BMW verts, than the coupes. For instance, in the E36, there is an extra cross brace under the vehicle in the vert that many coupe owners try to pick up at pick 'n' pull junkyards because it adds stiffness to their track cars. Add that to the completely differently designed chassis/frame and it's plenty stiff.

Now, if only that rag top could save me in the event of a country road flip over... :eeps:

dkreidel
02-17-2012, 01:35 PM

What you say may be true, however the texture of the cloth top will trip the boundary layer sooner and therefore induce turbulence and influence the point of laminar/turbulent transition.
I doubt if the cloth top is really significant in the total drag count related to the top; the shape of the coupes roof is likely much more significant.

I live in SoCal - and my top is almost always down and the 650 vert has plenty of HP to run up against the speed limiter top up or down -> verified with lots of 155
+ mph motoring in Germany after Munich Delivery last September

svp66
02-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Almost 3 months here - love it. Agree with almost all the statements. Will add a complaint of my own - why does the panoramic roof only tilt rather than slide? Would love a big open sky in summer - ever since I had an SLK. If the Vert came with hardtop, it would be a no brainer, but with Minnesota winters I would hate to put all that salt on the hardtop. For me this is a daily driver - and loving every minute of it.

roadsta
02-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Would you like me to post the drag formulas for the aforementioned?

***please say no... I forgot them promptly after I graduated*** lol.

Let me torture your braincells.

The formula is:

1/2 * air density * A (frontal surface area) *Cd (Coeff of drag) * V squared, where V is the speed of the vehicle.

In metric, so at 100 km/h / 62 mph, at sea level, the drag on one of our cars is approx:

0.5 * 1.2 * 0.31 * 2.23 * 28 sq = 325 Newton = 33 kg = 73 lbs.

Doesn't sound like a lot does it, but it is there all the time....

r

thom.one.two
02-17-2012, 06:37 PM
[{Gas}Button(Drive)*Petal]

thom.one.two
02-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Thom check out this month issue of Auto Week.
Sorry PM won't allow to send pic.
Sorry for derail. ;)

Yep...I know about the GTS. Nice car but I am certainly not trading any time soon. LOL