PDA

View Full Version : M Sport rear diffuser

gehmjc21
02-15-2012, 07:51 AM
I ordered my 650xi with the M sport package, the only thing I don't like is the black rear diffuser. Is there a way to order a carbon black insert? If I ordered the car in AW I guess I would be able to order that part since AW also comes w/o M Sport.

Itinj6
02-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Paint it? I don't think they can be ordered In different colors. I ordered my car in Carbon Black but the only thing I don't like about that is that it will hide the rear diffuser. I love the look of it.

The non M-Sport doesn't have that rear diffuser. It is a completely different rear bumper than the M-Sport

thom.one.two
02-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Itinj6...rear diffuser is the black things above the tail pipes?

gehmjc21
02-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Itinj6...rear diffuser is the black things above the tail pipes?

Yes

Itinj6
02-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Yes
... And they are so glorious!!! :)

gehmjc21
02-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Do you think might be possible order the same part from a non m sport alpine white and have it professionally painted carbon black? I know I'm making more of a deal than need be. I just like the look better without the diffuser. What about chrome tips-would that have any difference in the exhaust note that's being discussed? :-)
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=LX53&mospid=53707&btnr=51_8551&hg=51&fg=17

southern6er22
02-24-2012, 08:53 PM
I think the exhaust tips are only a cosmetic change - it is the software that controls the flaps and the deeper parts of the exhaust system that cause the improved exhaust note with the M Sport model.

As for the diffuser, I don't think they are the same part. The rear of the M Sport and non-M Sport are completely different. The most obvious difference is the location of the reflectors - right beneath the tail lights on the M Sport and lower on the bumper for the non-M Sport.

The pic below shows a silver non-M and a Carbon Black M Sport. Not the best side-by-side comparison, but it gives you an idea of the rear difference.

southern6er22
02-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Forget my last comment. I guess it would be ok to change it out since the reflector is probably only attached to the bumper itself. You'd just have reflectors in a lower position. My bad - sorry.

thom.one.two
02-24-2012, 09:34 PM
I hated the 2010 7 series M Sport package because it had chrome diffusers (I learned a new term), but the black ones that came out a little later made the car hot as hell. Man, to each his own and have the dealer paint it for you. What color did you order? If it is white, I would caution you not to get too 1980's Toyota Supra with the white paint, white trim, and white wheels. Also, if you look at the rear end of the M Sport, that is a lot of flat plastic in the back. If you take away the contast at the diffusers, you run the risk of making that back end look much bigger. And bigger is not always better. Black is a differnt story. But other colors, not so sure.

gehmjc21
02-24-2012, 09:43 PM
I hated the 2010 7 series M Sport package because it had chrome diffusers (I learned a new term), but the black ones that came out a little later made the car hot as hell. Man, to each his own and have the dealer paint it for you. What color did you order? If it is white, I would caution you not to get too 1980's Toyota Supra with the white paint, white trim, and white wheels. Also, if you look at the rear end of the M Sport, that is a lot of flat plastic in the back. If you take away the contast at the diffusers, you run the risk of making that back end look much bigger. And bigger is not always better. Black is a differnt story. But other colors, not so sure.

I ordered carbon black. I guess I won't really see the diffuser all that much. On my e92 I had sapphire black, no diffuser. I loved the consistent look from the back. In my s4 right now I have the same black diffuser as the m sport package and I'm not crazy about the look. I shouldn't go crazy about it, but I would like the chrome exhaust tips.

thom.one.two
02-24-2012, 10:13 PM
You are golden. Spend your money changing out the non-shadow line trim like Jonny did. That makes a difference on black IMO.

No one on earth except for you would be able to tell the difference if you painted the diffuser.

southern6er22
02-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Have you seen it all in person? This is completely subjective, but it all works for me with the carbon black, diffuser, and dark chrome. None of the pics do it justice. Just my opinion.

Itinj6
02-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Forget my last comment. I guess it would be ok to change it out since the reflector is probably only attached to the bumper itself. You'd just have reflectors in a lower position. My bad - sorry.

BLUF - I think you have to change out the whole bumper if you don't want the M-Sport rear diffuser.

I'm pretty sure the whole bumpers on the M-Sport and non M-Sport are completely different. I don't think it's as easy as changing the rear diffuser. The reflectors are up higher on the M-Sport bumper to allow for the rear diffuser. The rear bumper is part of the M-Sport aerodynamic kit.

If you go to "build your own" on BMWUSA and change the perspective to the rear of the car and switch between M-Sport and non M-Sport, you can see the difference.

gehmjc21
02-25-2012, 04:01 AM
BLUF - I think you have to change out the whole bumper if you don't want the M-Sport rear diffuser.

I'm pretty sure the whole bumpers on the M-Sport and non M-Sport are completely different. I don't think it's as easy as changing the rear diffuser. The reflectors are up higher on the M-Sport bumper to allow for the rear diffuser. The rear bumper is part of the M-Sport aerodynamic kit.

If you go to "build your own" on BMWUSA and change the perspective to the rear of the car and switch between M-Sport and non M-Sport, you can see the difference.

Good idea. I'll have to do a side by side.

JONNYCHIRO
02-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Had my car waxed the other day. Walking up to the rear of the vehicle today I couldn't help but notice the way the diffuser shined up. IMO it's such a nice added touch and it looks great!
My buddy has a 2010 S4 and his diffuser is matte (I think it's a plastic, composite etc.) The way this shined up I bet it's got a good coat of clear coat on it. I wouldn't be surprised it it was metal (but that I've not checked.) It doesn't look plastic at all.

gehmjc21
02-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Had my car waxed the other day. Walking up to the rear of the vehicle today I couldn't help but notice the way the diffuser shined up. IMO it's such a nice added touch and it looks great!
My buddy has a 2010 S4 and his diffuser is matte (I think it's a plastic, composite etc.) The way this shined up I bet it's got a good coat of clear coat on it. I wouldn't be surprised it it was metal (but that I've not checked.) It doesn't look plastic at all.

Very interesting. Yes, my s4's diffuser is kind of dull. And I have black. I guess I'll have to wait and see the 6er.

Itinj6
02-25-2012, 11:16 PM
The only thing that I was on the fence about getting carbon black was that it would hide the rear diffuser. I was really close to going with AW.

southern6er22
02-25-2012, 11:27 PM
The only thing that I was on the fence about getting carbon black was that it would hide the rear diffuser. I was really close to going with AW.

It's definitely less prominent on the CB if quickly glancing at the car, but it's obvious if you're checking the car out - or looking to see where the growling and popping noise is coming from :)

gehmjc21
02-26-2012, 05:42 AM
It's definitely less prominent on the CB if quickly glancing at the car, but it's obvious if you're checking the car out - or looking to see where the growling and popping noise is coming from :)

Man that actually looks sharpe southern. What about those chrome tips. I think they'd look good on there matching the window trim. That's just me. I know a lot of people like the shadow trim.

southern6er22
02-26-2012, 06:53 AM
I'm debating about switching to shadowline, and you make a good point that is one more argument for why they should've put it on the M Sport since the put the dark diffuser and and dark chrome tips.

I'm typically not a fan of after market changes, but I think in this case I'll make an exception because shadowline really should have been added at the factory. I think the same is true for the tips - if you prefer the look of the non-M chrome tips with the aluminum trim, then go for it.

I may have a bit of Stockholm Syndrome going on here - my captor (BMW) may have forced this on me, but the original configuration is growing on me. I don't know, such a hard decision! Such a hard life!!! lol

JONNYCHIRO
02-26-2012, 07:06 AM
Southern, I feel ya.
As much as I LOVE shadowline I was (almost) ready to live (happily) w the brushed aluminum

I almost didn't show the day my dealer told me to get down there to look at an Alpina which a shop had painted the trim black chrome.

Let me keep it short by saying I absolutely love the black trim. It transformed the look of the car and I notice it, appreciate it and LOVE it more every day!

southern6er22
02-26-2012, 07:28 AM
If I do change it out, it will mostly be due to the pics you posted of yours with that trim. Otherwise I would likely not be tortured by this decision right now lol.

JONNYCHIRO
02-26-2012, 07:33 AM
Do it! You will be sooo glad you did!

gehmjc21
02-26-2012, 09:41 AM
If I do change it out, it will mostly be due to the pics you posted of yours with that trim. Otherwise I would likely not be tortured by this decision right now lol.

Southern, links to pics?! Thank you

JONNYCHIRO
02-26-2012, 09:58 AM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596060

Scroll thru the thread, pics posted on a few separate posts! :)

gehmjc21
02-26-2012, 10:07 AM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596060

Scroll thru the thread, pics posted on a few separate posts! :)

Thank you! I can't believe how great that looks. I may like that better than the aluminum! Nice :)