PDA

View Full Version : A Cautionary Tale

Houston Bimmer
02-15-2012, 09:10 AM
I wanted to let folks know of my recent mis-adventure with my 2012 650 coupe. I live in Houston and as we all know sometimes the water piles up. I just got my car back from the shop with a brand new engine. It seems I bent two rods in my original engine due to my turbos sucking in water, or as my dealer said, your engine became a ver expensive shop vac. Given how low our cars are, and that the air intakes are behind the grill, if you drive in standing water and it goes above the grill it will get ingested into the engine through the turbos. This is not a good thing. One other piece of advice. My insurance company was great, I am with Travellers. However, my dealer said that some of the other carriers he is working with from this latest high water event are not that easy to deal with. Just another heads up, just in case you need it.

Leslierc
02-15-2012, 10:07 AM
So, what you're saying is...it's not designed to be used as a Uboat.:yikes::yikes::yikes:

thom.one.two
02-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Man. I feel you. I lived in Houston for one month and found myself on a road where the water kept creeping up. I cop was on side of the road and waved me through. As I drove onto the street, the lines began to disappear. I got nervous and started to back out of the situation. That was not a good idea. I pushed water into the exhaust and into the engine. The car killed. When I got it towed, the driver brought it through the deepest part of the water. When I got to the dealership, the interior was about 6" under water. Seven weeks, and 4 grand later, I got my car back only to be told by the mechanic, "trade this thing immediately. Electronics are going to rust 6 months from now and you are always going to have a problem." I blew off his advice. The next morning, while it was raining, it hesitated to start. That day, I traded it in.

As long as the interior did not get wet, you should be ok. Check to see if they labeled it a flood car. If your carpet got wet, cut your losses. All of the interior electronics are under the driver's seat under the carpet. It sounds like you were isolated to just exterior/engine water. That's good. But I totally understand how that could happen to you. Before living in an area that depends on water pumps that only work 3" per hour, I would have had a different idea of someone who drives into water. Sometimes in Houston, water drives into you.

I have a 2005 Navigator that gets driven when it rains. Since that happened, my Bimmers haven't seen rain.

Good luck with your car. I'm sorry that happened to you.

Houston Bimmer
02-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks Thom,

No the electronics are all good and there was no water in the interior. The car is full warranted by BMW and thee is no change in title. BMWFS had no problems as I notified them. The car was completely checked by the dealer. Everything was looked at. Your point is right, as both the service advisor and technician said that I was much luckier having this issue than having the interior get wet. At that point the electronics would be questionable.

Itinj6
02-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Sorry to hear that.

I hydro locked the motor on my 1990 300ZX TT when I was stationed in Pensacola. Dark night and i couldnt even see the huge river of a puddle that i was driving into. I drained the oil after to get all the water out an it looked like mud. It never started again. I feel for you. Water is not compressible so when it goes into the cylinder and the piston hits it, it's like hitting a block of concrete. The valves and rods take the beating on that. I hope everything works out for you.

thom.one.two
02-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Houston Bimmer,
We're you at 59 and Shepard when that happened to you? I saw a grey (I think) one dead there during the hard rain a few weeks back.

JONNYCHIRO
02-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Cold Air Intake Mod taught me to fear standing water. Never had any problems out of a healthy fear I've acquired from stories like this.

How long we're you w/o your vehicle?
How long did it take for them to order and drop a new engine?

Houston Bimmer
02-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Houston Bimmer,
We're you at 59 and Shepard when that happened to you? I saw a grey (I think) one dead there during the hard rain a few weeks back.

Nope I was at Weslayn and 59. I have a Carbon Black Msport Coupe. You can't miss me, my Plates say, "REDFISH".

I guess maybe that's why I thought my car could swim.

So far the car runs and sounds as good as new.

thom.one.two
02-16-2012, 11:38 AM
I did see it. I remembered 59 but couldn't remember the exit. Glad she's back.

naifitto
02-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Sorry that happened to you man! I had that happen twice in the past with my 7

I got wiser and I prepare my SUV keys with my umbrella when I see the our cloudy skies in Houston lol:D

Houston Bimmer
02-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys for the comments! So far so good! I am soooo glad to have her back.

petriej
02-17-2012, 01:59 PM
And this is why I like having two vehicles. My M3 is crazy low (Dinan CAI, too!) and thanks to the Bay Area's fantastic weather, I don't have to worry too much. When it rains, I try to take the X5, and not worry about silly puddles :D