PDA

View Full Version : Did you know your car did that?

unlaidenswallow
02-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Keep seeing ideas / hints / experiences pop up in different posts and thought it might be interesting to start a thread where we can share tips, tricks, insights that maybe are buried deep in the manual or maybe not in there at all.

For example - very simple, but when I picked up my car the salesperson coded my last preset button to activate the nav and "go home". With the number of kids soccer, baseball and basketball games I coach in places I've never been to, that's a great shortcut.

Or to shamelessly steal from Itinj6 earlier today on another post -
"With regards to the front bumper and curbs, I found something pretty cool. If you hit the side view camera button, there is are two yellow bars that give the orientation of the front of the car and they make a right angle coming from the left and right side. If you fit that right angle made by the yellow orientation bars to where they are flush with the camera image of the curb, it puts you on perfect distance from the curb. About 6-12 inches away from your front bumper. Also, I don't know if you are familiar with this but I did an experiment. For the top view camera image, the car on the image has a bar in front of it that turns red when you are very close to a curb in front of you. The bar only turns red, however, if your bumper will NOT clear the curb. Test it out, but very carefully and see what I'm talking about. Just be mindful that sometimes when you put the car it park, it may roll forward a hair which can make a difference if you are dangerously close. I stop the car just when the bar turns red and that's fine."

Still have to check that one out. What else? Anyone figure out a good solution to one of my pet peeves? When you select satellite radio the station list displays and the top 2 lines show the details of the song you're listening to. But within the satellite selection you can only list the Sirius categories or all stations - not your own presets. Those are a level higher (I guess the theory being they added a benefit to the preset list in that you can set satellite OR FM OR whatever). But if you then back out of satellite and select the preset stations, there is NO additional information displayed about the song. Only way I've found so far to overcome that is to then hit the option button and select station information or whatever it's called. But that then kills your split screen and you can't display anything else.

This one is a little silly and maybe obvious for those with the vert, but on my way back from my own soccer game tonight - still hot but not much more than 30 outside - I put down the rear side windows as well as the back window. With that back window down it made for absolutely no breeze in the car but some cool fresh air - AND I could hear the exhaust and engine much better! Made me turn off the radio and just enjoy...

What else guys?

Itinj6
02-16-2012, 02:29 AM
You shameless bastard, you!

LOL, I kid :)

When I read the thread title, I was going to post that but I'm just glad it got enough attention for you to beat me to it. Good thread idea BTW. I noticed the same trend in other forums as well.

Now it's my turn to be shameless. Lol The following was posted by danzzz in the "iPhone Adapter Cradle" thread:

Here's the trick (works for both):

You have to first save some vidoes in your iPhone in either MP4 or M4V format. Then once you snap in the cradle, you hit the little video icon in iDrive and the video saved in your iPhone starts playing.

Then, you press the Home button and hit YouTube on your iPhone. Once you select a video on YouTube and hit play, the current one would stop playing and the screen gets black for a few seconds before the new video comes to play.

I guess the key thing is to "activate" the video playback in iDrive by playing some videos saved in iPhone first."

Here's what I got. When you hit Siri on your iPhone, the Siri voice comes up on the car's speakers and you can talk to Siri through the car's mic as well. You can ask it to read your last text or email and even send texts by speaking to Siri through the car.

I did notice that when you summon Siri, it actually calls your voicemail on the idrive screen. Now, If only we can figure a way to activate Siri without touching the phone, somehow through your voicemail number.

Speaking of which, I saved my own number in my phonebook and labeled it voicemail. I use the voice feature on the steering wheel to check my voicemail, hands-free.

Rear seats are still useless as rear seats. Just throwing that out there ;)

JONNYCHIRO
02-16-2012, 01:55 PM
It's true but Siri is a little hard of hearing sometimes...

Ok this will be new to the winter weather suckers: The AC blows crazy cold. Like no other ride Ive been in.

Sorry that's all I got. What? You nut jobs have read the online manual
437 times--before you take ownership ;) What else could I possibly add??? :)

unlaidenswallow
02-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Found one other thing last night - there is another electrical device socket (ie cigarette lighter socket) aside from the actual cigarette lighter and the one in the center console. It's in the passenger footwell straight up underneath the glove box toward the left hand side. They left that one out of the manual.

It has no cover so you can feel for the round opening - you'll need to pretty much put your head down on the carpet to actually see it. It's unswitched so provides power irrespective of whether the ignition is on or not. I've got my radar detector plugged in there until I hard wire it.

svp66
02-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Found one other thing last night - there is another electrical device socket (ie cigarette lighter socket) aside from the actual cigarette lighter and the one in the center console. It's in the passenger footwell straight up underneath the glove box toward the left hand side. They left that one out of the manual.

It has no cover so you can feel for the round opening - you'll need to pretty much put your head down on the carpet to actually see it. It's unswitched so provides power irrespective of whether the ignition is on or not. I've got my radar detector plugged in there until I hard wire it.

What radar detector did you go with? I have yet to reprogram POP off on my V1.

unlaidenswallow
02-17-2012, 08:30 PM
What radar detector did you go with? I have yet to reprogram POP off on my V1.

Went with the Passport 9500ix - been almost a week and so far no problems with falses alarms from the rear bumper radar emitters. No need to disable K band or POP!

svp66
02-18-2012, 06:20 AM
Not to derail the original thread, but very interested. Can you post pics of your hardwired 9500?
Thanks

unlaidenswallow
02-18-2012, 06:25 AM
Haven't done the hard-wiring yet - hoping I can fit it in this weekend. Will post pics once I get there!

southern6er22
02-22-2012, 09:05 PM
It really annoyed me that the passenger side mirror always tilted down (to view the curb) everytime I backed up. Most of the time when I back up it is next to another car, and the tilted mirror meant I could see less of the side of the car next to me and behind me. If you switch the electric mirror control to the right (control the passenger mirror), then the mirror will not tilt when you put the car in reverse. It only tilts if the switch is to the left (for adjusting the driver side mirror). This isn't really a hidden secret deep within iDrive and may be common knowledge, but I just thought I'd share it in case anyone else was annoyed or bewildered like me.

thom.one.two
02-22-2012, 09:14 PM
So what else does the radio system do? I know it is basically TVOing every song that plays so that you can shift time and listen again, and that is really cool, but what else does it do? I guess I could read the manual LOL.

svp66
02-23-2012, 05:57 AM
It really annoyed me that the passenger side mirror always tilted down (to view the curb) everytime I backed up. Most of the time when I back up it is next to another car, and the tilted mirror meant I could see less of the side of the car next to me and behind me. If you switch the electric mirror control to the right (control the passenger mirror), then the mirror will not tilt when you put the car in reverse. It only tilts if the switch is to the left (for adjusting the driver side mirror). This isn't really a hidden secret deep within iDrive and may be common knowledge, but I just thought I'd share it in case anyone else was annoyed or bewildered like me.

That's true, but then you loose the ability to prevent curb-rash when you parallel park. Of course, with the top view integrated imaging system this is less of an issue.

southern6er22
02-23-2012, 07:48 AM
I was just happy to figure out how to decide whether I want the tilt or not. Only about 5% of the time I spend in reverse is with a curb next to me. I'm really glad that they put so many parking gadgets to help avoid obstacles and curbs since visibility is less than ideal - I'm practically sitting on the pavement to get my driving position correct.

Itinj6
02-23-2012, 01:46 PM
I was just happy to figure out how to decide whether I want the tilt or not. Only about 5% of the time I spend in reverse is with a curb next to me. I'm really glad that they put so many parking gadgets to help avoid obstacles and curbs since visibility is less than ideal - I'm practically sitting on the pavement to get my driving position correct.

Come to think of it, I don't even use my windows tand mirrors o park anymore. I just stare at the idrive screen switching from top view to rear view cameras. Perfect park everytime. Lol

unclebnz
02-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Put your car in sports+ mode and then press the traction button for 3 seconds then take your car for a spin. Now thats fun...

southern6er22
02-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Got to do that at the Performance Center in a 335i - amazing fun, especially on wet, polished concrete. I leave the systems going in my car. I know it is smarter and faster than I am. I would consider going to Sport+ (DTC active) on a track, but on the road I don't trust myself.

svp66
02-25-2012, 05:41 PM
So finally BMWNA launched the Remote BMW app - works a little slow (1 min to transmit), but it's a nice feature. Credit to the original poster in this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493817&page=13

You should check it out, it's pretty cool

Itinj6
02-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Put your car in sports+ mode and then press the traction button for 3 seconds then take your car for a spin. Now thats fun...

When I tried that, it looks like it takes the car off Sport and puts it into Normal mode with DTC and DTS deactivated. Is it still in Sport+ ?

southern6er22
02-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Sport+ keeps DTC engaged - that means traction control is still on but to a lesser degree (allows for more wheel slip, drifting, etc. that you may not be able to get with DSC because it takes over before the car loses traction). Pushing and holding the button with the car and the squiggles turns off both DSC and DTC so you're on your own without any computer interference (this is what we did on the skid pad at the PC). Maybe you can put it in Sport and turn the system completely off so you loose the traction but keep the throttle response, exhaust, etc. associated with Sport. I'm thinking there's a software issue that will keep DTC on in Sport+ because that is the difference between Sport and Sport+.

Does that make any sense? lol

Itinj6
02-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Yes. Im with you. I guess I was hoping that you can disengage DSC and DTC, and still have the Sport drivetrain and suspension settings. It seems when you disengage both DSC and DTC by holding the button down, you lose both those and the Sport settings automatically goes back to Normal (Comfort in your case). Result will be Normal (Comfort) with DSC and DTC diengaged. That said, with M-Sport, you lose the awesome exhaust burble as well. Who would want comfort suspension along with no DSC and no DTC?

It needs a SPORT++ setting lol

southern6er22
02-25-2012, 11:35 PM
Haha. Tomorrow I'll try to remember to see if I can turn off all systems then switch to Sport (not Sport+) without re-engaging the "save your a$$ systems." I agree, if you're turning off those systems you probably don't want it in the magic carpet ride setting and would like to hear a nice exhaust note just before inevitably spinning into a tree. lol

southern6er22
02-26-2012, 04:14 PM
I played with the DSC button today, and it looks like DSC off (no computer interference/savior at all) is its own setting independent of the four normal modes. Mine did not indicate Comfort/Normal or Sport - it just says DSC off in the place next to the D in the center portion of the black panel display. I didn't have a chance to drive with it in DSC off to see how it feels/sounds in this mode as I wasn't in a location where a favorable outcome would result, if you know what I mean. lol

Itinj6
02-27-2012, 01:00 AM
Yeah, I suppose it could be its own setting. If that's the case though, wonder what the suspension, steering, exhaust, etc are doing in this setting.

But I at least want that damn tree to hear me coming. lol

JONNYCHIRO
02-27-2012, 04:12 AM
Not sure what I did.
I had "Traction" show up on dash
where it normally shows: Sport, Sport+ etc.

southern6er22
02-27-2012, 11:03 AM
Not sure what I did.

"Traction" is DTC active (which is what you get with Sport+), and that is the moderate level of stability with DSC being the greatest and DSC off being no computer interference (safest - DSC > DTC > DSC off - lots of fun... until it isn't lol).

Itinj6
02-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Not sure what I did.

For that, I think you pressed the Traction button once while it was in any drive mode.

southern6er22
02-27-2012, 04:56 PM
For that, I think you pressed the Traction button once while it was in any drive mode.

+1

I'm not sure why they made Sport+ a mode with it is really just Sport + DTC = Sport+. I guess it is more of a marketing thing - "Let me put the car in Sport+" vs. "Let me put the car in Sport then hit the car with squigly lines button." The latter definitely doesn't sounds as cool. Only reasoning I can think of... And like Itinj6 said, if I'm about to take on a tree, I want it to hear me coming.

It's kinda like dying alone in a hospital versus flying through the pearly gates (or wherever lol) in my 6er in a ball of fire - one is definitely the better way to go out :rofl:

HoustonBimmer
03-03-2012, 12:26 PM
I am sure I am just slow, but last week on a Drive from Houston to Dallas I noticed that the Red line at the bottom of the Tach is actually measuring Miles to Empty. I thought that was cool, as I had not noticed previously.

dkreidel
03-03-2012, 03:38 PM
I am sure I am just slow, but last week on a Drive from Houston to Dallas I noticed that the Red line at the bottom of the Tach is actually measuring Miles to Empty. I thought that was cool, as I had not noticed previously.

...and the white dot on the red line is an estimate of how much gas is required to arrive at your destination when using the NAV system. If the white dot is on the red "distance to empty" line you won't need to stop for fuel. If the white dot is to the right of the red line you gotta stop for gas. :D

Itinj6
03-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Red line at the bottom of the Tach? Could you please elaborate? Below the Tach, all I see is the electronic MPG and Efficient Dynamics gauge.

Do you mean below the Speedo or am I missing something?

thom.one.two
03-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Took her out for a long stroll this weekend. Thanks for all of your tips.

I wish I could post a video on here. I took it with my iphone and I don't think that it is compatible with this site. The active steering made turns a lot of fun, so I got curious how it works. I tilted my driver side mirror all the way down, and made turns, and sure enough, you can see the rim from inside the car. It's really hard to see in the pictures, but the video is really cool.

gehmjc21
03-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Can you leave the car running and lock the doors from the outside if you have to run into the store?

I used to do that in my e92 but I can't do it in my S4 and I hate it.

thom.one.two
03-14-2012, 02:31 PM
I think, yes. I know that when I washed my last 6 (haven't washed this one yet), I would have the car running, with the key in my pocket, and if the water from the hose hit the door handle, the car would lock/unlock. So, I assume that this is the same with the F12/13. Using the comfort access buttons on the doors, you should be able to. Test it! I'm in Miami now and can't get to my car.

gehmjc21
03-14-2012, 03:35 PM
I think, yes. I know that when I washed my last 6 (haven't washed this one yet), I would have the car running, with the key in my pocket, and if the water from the hose hit the door handle, the car would lock/unlock. So, I assume that this is the same with the F12/13. Using the comfort access buttons on the doors, you should be able to. Test it! I'm in Miami now and can't get to my car.

Would love to! But I don't get her until July :(

JONNYCHIRO
03-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Yes u can.

thom.one.two
03-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Can you leave the car running and lock the doors from the outside if you have to run into the store?

I used to do that in my e92 but I can't do it in my S4 and I hate it.

Don't try that in Houston. Your car would last about 20 seconds.

isildain
03-14-2012, 09:55 PM
In a related vein, if you start the car and get out of, can it be driven off without the key fob inside? Or will it eventually shut off on its own?

Itinj6
03-14-2012, 10:01 PM
In a related vein, if you start the car and get out of, can it be driven off without the key fob inside? Or will it eventually shut off on its own?

I've seen this scenario in both my X6 and 650. The idrive screen will prompt you that it cannot detect the key FOB, but will continue to run and drive.

I have negotiated parking lots in this manner while the wife, with the key, was in Starbucks.

Never been for more than a few minutes so I dont know what the long term affect is... In other words, If it will shut off eventually.

southern6er22
03-14-2012, 10:03 PM
The car won't shut down if it is running and it loses its connection to the key. I was driving around with my dad a few weekends ago, and he was driving but I had the key in my pocket. I got out of the car and ran in to Starbucks with him still in the car and the key in my pocket. He was able to operate the car while I was a few hundred yards away. He got an error that it lost contact with the key, but it did not shut off the car.

southern6er22
03-14-2012, 10:04 PM
lol you beat me to it. And apparently SBUX addictions are part of the demographic who buys this car lol.

Itinj6
03-14-2012, 10:05 PM
The car won't shut down if it is running and it loses its connection to the key. I was driving around with my dad a few weekends ago, and he was driving but I had the key in my pocket. I got out of the car and ran in to Starbucks with him still in the car and the key in my pocket. He was able to operate the car while I was a few hundred yards away. He got an error that it lost contact with the key, but it did not shut off the car.

Dad coulda been a sweetheart and dropped you off in front of the Starbucks rather than a few hundred yards away lol ;)

Itinj6
03-14-2012, 10:06 PM
lol you beat me to it. And apparently SBUX addictions are part of the demographic who buys this car lol.

Yes, the place where it takes 37 words to order a single coffee lol

southern6er22
03-14-2012, 10:08 PM
It's his way of making sure I don't become a spoiled little rich kid, so he has to make me suffer and learn to carry two Venti SBUXs without spilling #firstworldproblems lol.

I meant that he had to drop me off and then circle around because there weren't any parking spots - but the above scenario is definitely more entertaining haha.

Itinj6
03-14-2012, 10:11 PM
It's his way of making sure I don't become a spoiled little rich kid, so he has to make me suffer and learn to carry two Venti SBUXs without spilling #firstworldproblems lol.

I meant that he had to drop me off and then circle around because there weren't any parking spots - but the above scenario is definitely more entertaining haha.

Going out for the football team? Making you do the 100 yard dash with two venti's? Lol
I kid I kid

southern6er22
03-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Nah, he's too cheap. He know's I'd spill them, and he doesn't like a half-full cup of SBUX. I got him a cappuccino once, and he was mad because by the time he got past all the foam it wasn't a full cup of coffee, and for $5 you should at least get an entire cup. I had to explain the difference between a cappuccino and a latte, but he didn't seem to care lol

Itinj6
03-14-2012, 10:27 PM
Nah, he's too cheap. He know's I'd spill them, and he doesn't like a half-full cup of SBUX. I got him a cappuccino once, and he was mad because by the time he got past all the foam it wasn't a full cup of coffee, and for $5 you should at least get an entire cup. I had to explain the difference between a cappuccino and a latte, but he didn't seem to care lol

Lol, perhaps Dunkin Donuts would hit the spot.

southern6er22
03-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Haha. Funny you mention that. When I was in Greenville for my PCD and 2-day course, each day before the course we would hit SBUX and Dunkin (located right by the BMW-endorsed Marriott) on the way to the PC. I guess they wanted to cover their bases lol.

thom.one.two
03-15-2012, 01:33 PM
It doesn't shut itself off ever, but once the engine button is depressed, you can't start it again until you have the key inside the car.

Interesting enough, if you put the key in your trunk and close the lid, it closes, locks, then pops up again. It won't lock the key in there.

But it's like the water proof Iphone covers that allow you to throw your phone in the pool. I know it works, but I'm scared to test my luck.

Itinj6
03-15-2012, 01:40 PM
It doesn't shut itself off ever, but once the engine button is depressed, you can't start it again until you have the key inside the car.

Interesting enough, if you put the key in your trunk and close the lid, it closes, locks, then pops up again. It won't lock the key in there.

But it's like the water proof Iphone covers that allow you to throw your phone in the pool. I know it works, but I'm scared to test my luck.

I'm gonna give it a shot lol

F*ck it... we all have two key FOBs :D

southern6er22
03-15-2012, 01:47 PM
If all else fails, you can unlock it with the MyBMW app... just be prepared to wait 15 minutes for it to actually occur.

thom.one.two
03-15-2012, 01:54 PM
I've done it by accident when I had the bright idea to put my key in my briefcase. It opened when I shut the lid. (I remembered as the trunk closed, and I screamed like a big girl). Maybe it was the scream that did it.

isildain
03-15-2012, 02:40 PM

The car not shutting off without the key does not make me feel better. My thought is that if somebody were to be car-jacked, I'd like for it to shut off on its own after it's been put into drive with the key not in the car.

As far as the trunk not locking, that has gotten us in trouble before. In my wife's X5, we locked her purse in the trunk while we went to a national park, and I hit the lock button on my key fob. When the car sensed her key in the purse, the back deck opened. It did so after we had walked away, and we didn't notice it. After many hours, we got back to the car, and there was a note on the windshield that one of the park rangers saw our car, couldn't lock the back deck, and so pulled her purse out of the car, and kept it safe in the office. You can lock a key in the car, but you have to have used the other key to unlock and lock the car (using the comfort access), and you can not use the key fob button to lock it. (at least on my wife's X5) I've tried locking my key in the car several times, forgetting that I placed it in my computer bag, and it absolutely refuses to lock. It's confusing until you realize just why the car won't cooperate, then you feel silly, and thank the BMW engineers.

You can try all you want...it's just an effort in futility.

JONNYCHIRO
03-15-2012, 02:41 PM
How big a girl we talkin bout? ;)

Itinj6
03-15-2012, 03:03 PM
The car not shutting off without the key does not make me feel better. My thought is that if somebody were to be car-jacked, I'd like for it to shut off on its own after it's been put into drive with the key not in the car.

As far as the trunk not locking, that has gotten us in trouble before. In my wife's X5, we locked her purse in the trunk while we went to a national park, and I hit the lock button on my key fob. When the car sensed her key in the purse, the back deck opened. It did so after we had walked away, and we didn't notice it. After many hours, we got back to the car, and there was a note on the windshield that one of the park rangers saw our car, couldn't lock the back deck, and so pulled her purse out of the car, and kept it safe in the office. You can lock a key in the car, but you have to have used the other key to unlock and lock the car (using the comfort access), and you can not use the key fob button to lock it. (at least on my wife's X5) I've tried locking my key in the car several times, forgetting that I placed it in my computer bag, and it absolutely refuses to lock. It's confusing until you realize just why the car won't cooperate, then you feel silly, and thank the BMW engineers.

I installed an aftermarket alarm from Scorpio on my bike. It has an auto-cutoff on the ignition if the bike is too far from the key in the case of being jacked. Pretty cool feature. I tested it. Would be nice if our cars had this.

They should at least put the SOS button in a more discreet area so as not to alarm a car-jacker. Imagine hitting the button and the operator, on the other end, hearing, "break yo self, fool"

ProRail
03-15-2012, 03:27 PM
That's true, but then you loose the ability to prevent curb-rash when you parallel park. Of course, with the top view integrated imaging system this is less of an issue.

But it's easy to switch between down and regular. Just move the mirror switch back and forth. What I wish is that there is some way to set the amount of tilt.

ProRail
03-15-2012, 03:37 PM

With benefits come responsibilities.

thom.one.two
03-17-2012, 11:31 PM
How big a girl we talkin bout? ;)

Adele-esque big.

Itin,

Did you try it? I've been in Miami for a week. Can't wait to get back in my car. I've had an E350 Convertible for a week. Man have I taken notes on the comparison between our cars and the MB.

southern6er22
03-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Interestingly, yesterday I was getting out of my car with the key sitting in the passenger seat, pulled twice to get out, and went around to the passenger door and pulled to open it, and it wouldn't open even though the key was on the seat. Apparently it is sensitive enough to detect that. I'm guessing the central locking was still locked but I just "broke" the driver door lock and it thought the key was inside the car with people in it and wouldn't open from the outside (like if someone tried to get in while sitting at a stop light). I haven't tried the other scenarios as above, but just thought I'd mention it.

thom.one.two
03-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Interestingly, yesterday I was getting out of my car with the key sitting in the passenger seat, pulled twice to get out, and went around to the passenger door and pulled to open it, and it wouldn't open even though the key was on the seat. Apparently it is sensitive enough to detect that. I'm guessing the central locking was still locked but I just "broke" the driver door lock and it thought the key was inside the car with people in it and wouldn't open from the outside (like if someone tried to get in while sitting at a stop light). I haven't tried the other scenarios as above, but just thought I'd mention it.

That's pretty cool. I know I have tried to turn on the radio while standing outside the car with the top down, and it won't start.

JONNYCHIRO
03-18-2012, 12:52 AM
How long u nerds gonna talk about opening and closing doors. :)

thom.one.two
03-18-2012, 12:59 AM

LOL. You are so right.

JONNYCHIRO
03-18-2012, 06:01 AM
Haha. I was a wee bit hammered at 4am when I posted that.

What kind of loser checks this forum 4am loaded? Apparently me ;)

TopDownInFL
03-18-2012, 06:15 AM
Haha. I was a wee bit hammered at 4am when I posted that.

What kind of loser checks this forum 4am loaded? Apparently me ;)

:thumbup:

unlaidenswallow
03-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Speaking of opening doors - had an interesting one at the car wash today. I was starting to get out of the car and the guy asked me to pull forward just a little more. I got back in, put it in gear, started to inch forward and got a warning "dong" and the brakes locked up after a couple inches. Confused, I made sure it was in gear again and the exact same thing happened. After about 4 tries - and an irritated car wash guy wondering who the hell doesn't even know how to drive his own car - I figured it out. Anyone?? Anyone?? Class?? Bueller??

Apparently I didn't latch my door so technically the drivers door was still open. I guess as a safety mechanism the car locks up the brakes (puts itself into park? I was too flustered to really figure it out at the time) if you have the drivers door opened. Guess I didn't know that :dunno:

southern6er22
03-18-2012, 12:59 PM
I remember reading something in the manual about settings for car washes. Don't remember what it was. Maybe just be sure not to leave the auto wipers on when you go in lol. There may have been more to it than that with regard to settings prior to auto wash, but I don't remember anything else.

southern6er22
03-18-2012, 01:04 PM

I'm easily entertained. We've had some great topics lately - cup holder usability and messing around with trying to lock ourselves out of the cars (to the point of getting strange looks from the neighbors lol).

This car is shiny and it makes a good noise... essentially heaven for Mr. ADD here lol.

XZLR8
03-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Speaking of opening doors - had an interesting one at the car wash today. I was starting to get out of the car and the guy asked me to pull forward just a little more. I got back in, put it in gear, started to inch forward and got a warning "dong" and the brakes locked up after a couple inches. Confused, I made sure it was in gear again and the exact same thing happened. After about 4 tries - and an irritated car wash guy wondering who the hell doesn't even know how to drive his own car - I figured it out. Anyone?? Anyone?? Class?? Bueller??

Apparently I didn't latch my door so technically the drivers door was still open. I guess as a safety mechanism the car locks up the brakes (puts itself into park? I was too flustered to really figure it out at the time) if you have the drivers door opened. Guess I didn't know that :dunno:
Not with the 6, but I've had that happen before in other BMWs. Once, I remember backing into a parking space when I tried to open the door a crack to make sure I wasn't hitting the curb (before side view cameras, obviously) and the car immediately locked up and put me in Park. Scared the heck out of me at the time.