PDA

View Full Version : M Steering Wheel

JONNYCHIRO
02-17-2012, 10:07 AM
That alone is worth the coin for the package IMO. I like!

Ok maybe not quite. But nonetheless an upgrade I'd not want to have to go without.

It's so meaty. :)

unlaidenswallow
02-17-2012, 11:20 AM
So not to be too ignorant here - but what's the difference?

I've looked at pics posted here from m-package cars and even if you open 2 tabs and do a close side by side on the bmw site with the m vs non-m steering wheels they are exactly the same except for the silver trim under the airbag and obviously the m logo at the bottom. But the design, the "thumb rests", etc all appear to be the same. The only thing I can see if you zoom and flip back and forth quickly is MAYBE a slight difference in the thickness but I'm not even sure about that.

southern6er22
02-17-2012, 11:30 AM
I totally agree, Jonny! It was just an added bonus or one more ///M logo in my mind when I was building, but there is a huge difference, and I love it. Visually there is not much difference except for the trim, but the feel is what makes the difference. The convertible I drove at the Performance Center did not have the M Sport package, and the two biggest things I noticed with it were the muted exhaust and the thickness of the steering wheel. There was nothing wrong with it, but you can definitely tell if you make a direct comparison. The overall size (diameter) is the same, but the notches, thickness, and overall feel is more comfortable and substantial.

My favorite part of the PC trip was making comparisons between my 650xi M Sport and other 6ers and other Bimmers. Good, bad, or otherwise, it was great being able to experience more of BMW than you can just looking at the dealership.

Summary: There is a huge difference in feel between the M and non-M, and I was very pleasantly surprised.

JONNYCHIRO
02-17-2012, 12:22 PM
As Southern states it's more substantial. But as I recall it's Also made of a different material. It's got s little give (tiny/just right amount of play) when you grip it too.

It's subtle differences that all add up to being a much different and IMO heightened hands on wheel experience.

southern6er22
02-17-2012, 12:33 PM
I agree. I think both are Nappa leather, but there did seem to be a slightly different feel aside from the thickness. ///M heated steering wheel + Nappa seats perfectly contoured and hot enough to brand you + lead foot attached to 407 horses to force your body against the seat = perfect driving experience.

Just one more added bonus

southern6er22
03-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the M Steering wheel we get, but this thing definitely gets cool points. Shape looks awesome.

I did notice that the M6's steering wheel isn't heated like ours. The Individual spec also doesn't get the heated steering wheel. You'd think that they could find some way to incorpoate that. Yay for us who get it, but I'd be a bit annoyed if I paid Individual/M6 money and didn't get that option... reminds me of soft-close lol.

Itinj6
03-07-2012, 05:50 AM
That alone is worth the coin for the package IMO. I like!

Ok maybe not quite. But nonetheless an upgrade I'd not want to have to go without.

It's so meaty. :)

We all know you like em thick and meaty ;)

Speaking of which, I can't wait to get my hands on it :D

JONNYCHIRO
03-07-2012, 06:38 AM
We all know you like em thick and meaty ;)

Speaking of which, I can't wait to get my hands on it :D

Excuse me sir but this thread has a one idiot maximum. It was full up after I posted. ;);):):(

Itinj6
03-07-2012, 06:45 AM
Well, I was hoping there was room here for a moron... That's why I posted. :)

JONNYCHIRO
03-07-2012, 06:56 AM
Oh that's cool. I'm half moron on my Dad's side :):)

Itinj6
03-07-2012, 10:02 AM
In that case, I wonder which is your better side ;)

JONNYCHIRO
03-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Both sides are good.
It's the front n back that are special.

Itinj6
03-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Lol touché.