PDA

View Full Version : F12/F13 Detailing and Care

southern6er22
02-18-2012, 10:26 PM
I thought I'd go ahead and begin a thread to consolidate detailing info specifically on our sub-forum. Here is a questioning have and a few of the things I've done so far:

Has anyone used Rain-X (or similar product) on their F12/13? I've used Rain-X in the past and it has been effective, but I want to make sure that it won't make the wipers squeaky (they're currently amazingly quiet) or cause any problems with BMW's windows. Thanks!

Exterior Upkeep: The first weekend after taking delivery, I washed and waxed my coupe to get a nice protective layer of wax on it early. The following is my wash routine...
(1) Wash wheels using Meguire's car shampoo using a mitt and microfiber cloth. The microfiber is helpful for getting in the tight spaces. The mitt is good for getting the bigger, deeper portions and protecting your hand from the sharp bits. By this point the water is nasty and filled with brake dust, so I dump and start fresh for the body.
(2) Wash body using Wolfgang's car wash using a microfiber mitt. Rinse.
(3) Dry by first squeegeeing with a special rubber car squeegee to remove the bulk of the water, blow the rest off using a high-powered leaf blower, and then finishing with a chamois to get any remaining water. The leaf blower is also great for drying the wheels.

Interior: I haven't done anything with the inside yet, but I think I'm going to try Meguire's cleaner/conditioner on the leather. I want to try to maintain the matte look (which I'm worried about because I saw a car at the dealer that had shiny leather after they did something to it). I'm going to try it on a discrete spot on the backseat/useless piece of extra Nappa, and see how that looks.

Anyone have suggestions, recommendations, or tips regarding technique or cleaning products?

Thanks!

JONNYCHIRO
02-19-2012, 07:34 AM
There's a whole detail section on these forums from the pros. They take detailing to a whole other level.

But, yeah I get why you'd have a thread "in house" too.

I could be wrong but I've heard it's nit good to wax brand new paint. It's still curing or something to that effect.

I use Maguire's on leather. Works good. Doesn't leave slick shiny. It leaves it w the kind of shine that's natural and shows the leather isn't dried out.

I need to pick up a good leaf blower.

Edit: will you guys take a look at the leaf blowers on amazon. I can't tell which one to get.

southern6er22
02-19-2012, 07:50 AM
My dad mentioned the leaf blower idea to me, and it is amazing how much water gets in all of the crevices. More importantly, the high powered air gets rid of all of the water with minimal chamois use. He's been using the above regimen on our black Denali for the last year and a half and haven't had any trouble with swirls.

JONNYCHIRO
02-19-2012, 07:53 AM
Southern it may sound silly but do me a favor: look on amazon.com. Help me pick out a good blower.

Thank you. :)

southern6er22
02-19-2012, 08:24 AM
Consumer Reports recommends the Husqvarna 125BVx (highest score of all tested: 80) - $180. The second highest is the Stihl BG55 (score: 79) - $140. The third highest is Weed Eater FB25 (score: 65) - $78.

The Weed Eater is apparently very powerful for its size, and the only cons they have listed are that it is loud (which most of them are - it's a freakin' leaf blower, what are they expecting?) and it doesn't offer a vacuuming capability (whatever that is - not really applicable for drying purposes).

I think I'd go with the Weed Eater. The price difference is huge, and from what I read it doesn't sound like it will have any trouble blowing water off your car. If you get matted, dried leaves on your car, then you may have some issues :)

Hope this helps!

JONNYCHIRO
02-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Cool man thanks! I'll look the three over and pick among them. That's perfect help.

southern6er22
02-19-2012, 08:47 AM
No problem. They apparently make some blowers specifically for drying cars, but you pay a premium for that. I like toys but that's definitely something I can live without.

JONNYCHIRO
02-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Ha ha sorry to turn this into a leaf blower derail thread. But you think an electric one will suffice? I don't want to deal w. gas.

southern6er22
02-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Haha. That's ok. I'd just try to find one that has similar specs to the Weed Eater in terms of power, etc. The reasons I like the gas are no cord to plug in (or battery to charge), and I don't have to negotiate the cord around the body... and that's the blower we have and didn't want to buy a new one lol. I understand not wanting to mess with the gas.

thom.one.two
02-19-2012, 11:57 AM
OK, now I feel that I'm at an all new level of lazy. You guys not only wash your own cars, but buy water filtration units and leaf blowers to hand wash your own cars. I certainly like the idea of nothing coming in contact with my car, but find it so much easier to drive it to Aqua Car Wash every week, and trade it three years later. LOL

southern6er22
02-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Hahaha. Well, I'm 23 and even though money isn't really a worry for me, I'm not a trust fund brat either with no concept of money. Thus, I try to control my spending a little bit like detailing my own car rather than paying someone else - especially because there isn't anyone where I live that I trust to properly clean and care for my car (very jealous of everything y'all have in Houston. I just spent the weekend there being reminded of how great real cities are lol). Some say it helps make me humble - though not likely lol. I guess I'm just too much of an OCD perfectionist who doesn't trust anyone.

Reading this post back, it sounds like a psych clinical note. Haha.

JONNYCHIRO
02-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Edit; I buy all this **** and then just bring it to detailer anyway.

Edit. Ignore me. I'm cracked our of my head on the elliptical from too much caffeine.

thom.one.two
02-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Lol. Mobile is a cool place, too. I'm from New Orleans, but am glad to be in a big city.

Itinj6
02-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Hahaha. Well, I'm 23

Happy (recent) Birthday?

Weren't you still 22 like a week ago?

southern6er22
02-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Happy (recent) Birthday?

Weren't you still 22 like a week ago?

Haha yep - Thanks! - good observation. My PCD + 2-day car control course was my birthday present from my parents.

Jonny: To answer your question, the Sparknotes version of how I can afford this car is supportive family, great schooling, and lots of working. I started my own catering business when I was 16, began teaching cooking classes at 18, and I have been working in the medical field all through college. I'm pretty much a workaholic and am at work whenever I'm not in class or studying. My family is pretty well off, so I don't have to pay tuition, living expenses, etc. so my paychecks sit in the bank. The above + graduaton present = 6er. I said I'm not a trust fund brat, but I didn't say I'm not a little spoiled lol. Life is very busy but pretty good :)

JONNYCHIRO
02-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Happy B-day my man!
May you be blessed w the fruit of your hard work for many many years to come!

Enjoy!

southern6er22
02-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Happy B-day my man!
May you be blessed w the fruit of your hard work for many many years to come!

Enjoy!

Haha. Thanks!

Itinj6
02-19-2012, 09:19 PM
:)

southern6er22
03-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Spent a few hours washing my car today and noticed that it had claimed the lives of more than a few bugs, and the normal car shampoo wasn't cutting it. Here's what I used (pic below), and it did a really good job getting rid of the stubborn spots.

I put a tiny amount on a clean microfiber cloth, rubbed it in (circular motion) carefully in as small an area as possible (a little pressure was necessary for some spots), and then buffed it off gently using a clean area of the towel.

It worked perfectly without any swirls. I made sure to dust the area with a clean microfiber cloth before doing this even though I had just washed the car (to make sure no pollen or dust particles had settled in that short period of time). I used it on the painted surfaces, chrome around the grill, and plastic headlight housing, and it did a great job. Some people say to use a piece of the little waxing sponges, but I've used those before and I could see some micro scratches (only noticeable from the right angle in the right light, but noticeable nonetheless). The microfiber cloth was great because I used a different portion of the cloth for every little spot, and then I had a lot of soft, lint-free cloth to softly remove the remaining compound solution. I couldn't detect any micro scratches after using it on several portions on the front and the mirrors.

gehmjc21
03-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Southern have you thought about hand modeling?! :)

TopDownInFL
03-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Southern have you thought about hand modeling?! :)

It's that blasted elastic young skin of his. Just wait until you're 'southern6er42'! :madrazz:

southern6er22
03-26-2012, 08:55 PM
That's a great idea. I could use my young skin to pay for my young male insurance on this car. Insurance and skin depreciate at about the same rate, right? lol.

southern6er22
03-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Spent a few hours washing my car today and noticed that it had claimed the lives of more than a few bugs, and the normal car shampoo wasn't cutting it. Here's what I used (pic below), and it did a really good job getting rid of the stubborn spots.

I put a tiny amount on a clean microfiber cloth, rubbed it in (circular motion) carefully in as small an area as possible (a little pressure was necessary for some spots), and then buffed it off gently using a clean area of the towel.

It worked perfectly without any swirls. I made sure to dust the area with a clean microfiber cloth before doing this even though I had just washed the car (to make sure no pollen or dust particles had settled in that short period of time). I used it on the painted surfaces, chrome around the grill, and plastic headlight housing, and it did a great job. Some people say to use a piece of the little waxing sponges, but I've used those before and I could see some micro scratches (only noticeable from the right angle in the right light, but noticeable nonetheless). The microfiber cloth was great because I used a different portion of the cloth for every little spot, and then I had a lot of soft, lint-free cloth to softly remove the remaining compound solution. I couldn't detect any micro scratches after using it on several portions on the front and the mirrors.

Edit - I used a Meguire's external plastic cleaner/polish on the headlight housing (this product is meant for headlights) that is kinda between a liquid and a paste), not the same compound.

JONNYCHIRO
03-26-2012, 09:09 PM
That's a great idea. I could use my young skin to pay for my young male insurance

Am I the only one who got a wierd feeling inside upon reading this???;););)

southern6er22
03-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Haha. I knew as I was typing it that it was not the most innocent wording... so, in typical form, I decided to keep it lol.

JONNYCHIRO
03-27-2012, 01:47 PM
My process; give detail $40 + tip.

The five pre dirty minutes below.

I love her.

southern6er22
03-27-2012, 03:04 PM
The small period of time it looks pristine is worth the headaches. After 3-5 days it still looks okay, especially if you aren't examining it close up. I'm in love with this color.

JONNYCHIRO
03-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Chuck Norris' soul is Carbon Black.

Itinj6
03-27-2012, 03:57 PM

southern6er22
03-27-2012, 04:11 PM
What happens if you let it go to voicemail?

Itinj6
03-27-2012, 04:47 PM
What happens if you let it go to voicemail?

Nobody knows because nobody ever let it go to voicemail.

Would you be brave enough to find out?

Lol

southern6er22
03-28-2012, 01:15 AM
Nobody knows because nobody ever let it go to voicemail.

Would you be brave enough to find out?

Lol

Sure. It's a worthy cause... :ouch:

Itinj6
03-28-2012, 03:56 AM
Sure. It's a worthy cause... :ouch:

And what cause is that? Seeing how many times Chuck Norris can spin your head around your neck with a single roundhouse kick? :D LOL

southern6er22
03-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Precisely. Age old questiuon... just like, how many licks does it take to get to the tootie roll center of a tootsie pop? It's the queston everyone is asking.

southern6er22
04-06-2012, 12:17 AM
To get this thread back on the rails...

Nappa Leather Care: http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/2012/04/caring-for-cattle.html

General Interior Detailing: http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/p/new-posts.html

JONNYCHIRO
04-12-2012, 07:02 AM
How best to care for the M package headliner (whatever it's called-I forget)????

On the door sill I've got a little fuzz.

Should I use a lint brush? Not the kind that's a tape roll, rather the type where you brush one way to clean and against it to take the lint etc off brush?????

thom.one.two
04-12-2012, 07:27 AM
My grandmother used to hose her car out. I guess that's a bad idea to get that lint out. Lol

JONNYCHIRO
04-12-2012, 09:42 AM
My grandmother used to hose her car out. I guess that's a bad idea to get that lint out. Lol

Tried that. ;)

southern6er22
04-12-2012, 10:26 AM
I'd just use a lint roller or just some mildly sticky tape wrapped around my hand to pull off the lint. I haven't done anything to mine. I just make sure that no one's hair touches the headliner.

The Gliptone GT15 maintenance spray can be used on the Alcantara (that's what it's called, by the way). I haven't tried it and probably won't unless something horrible happens.

TopDownInFL
04-12-2012, 10:30 AM
How best to care for the M package headliner (whatever it's called-I forget)????

On the door sill I've got a little fuzz.

Should I use a lint brush? Not the kind that's a tape roll, rather the type where you brush one way to clean and against it to take the lint etc off brush?????

Alcantara

http://beverlyhillsporsche.blogspot.com/2009/09/what-is-alcantara-and-how-do-i-clean-it.html

thom.one.two
04-12-2012, 01:16 PM
I'd just use a lint roller or just some mildly sticky tape wrapped around my hand to pull off the lint. I haven't done anything to mine. I just make sure that no one's hair touches the headliner.

The Gliptone GT15 maintenance spray can be used on the Alcantara (that's what it's called, by the way). I haven't tried it and probably won't unless something horrible happens.

Don't date girls from Dallas. The higher the hair, the closer to God.

southern6er22
04-12-2012, 01:46 PM
lol. That's awesome.

XZLR8
04-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Don't date girls from Dallas. The higher the hair, the closer to God.
As someone with relatives in Tulsa and Dallas, I will be using that line, I promise.

JONNYCHIRO
04-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Thank you for the links and good advice. The bleach, soft scrub and turpentine worked great.

southern6er22
04-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Thank you for the links and good advice. The bleach, soft scrub and turpentine worked great.

Good ol' fashion spit shining works well... for polishing the tractor. :p

southern6er22
05-20-2012, 10:52 PM
What are y'all (or your detailers - for those of you who are less hands on ;) ) using for removing bugs and stubborn spots? As I was cleaning my car today I noticed lots of squashed bugs that didn't come off with the normal cleaning shampoo. I used some 3M compounding liquid, which worked pretty well, but is there something meant for this purpose? I worry about using to compounding agent on too much of the car. I had at least 6 spots pretty heavily bug-splattered.

Also, what's a good product for cleaning the inside and outside of the windshield? I have a few stubborn bugs, etc. on the outside, and I'm getting some streaking on the glass on the inside. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Itinj6
05-21-2012, 03:01 AM
What are y'all (or your detailers - for those of you who are less hands on ;) ) using for removing bugs and stubborn spots? As I was cleaning my car today I noticed lots of squashed bugs that didn't come off with the normal cleaning shampoo. I used some 3M compounding liquid, which worked pretty well, but is there something meant for this purpose? I worry about using to compounding agent on too much of the car. I had at least 6 spots pretty heavily bug-splattered.

Also, what's a good product for cleaning the inside and outside of the windshield? I have a few stubborn bugs, etc. on the outside, and I'm getting some streaking on the glass on the inside. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Go to your local motorcycle shop and pick up a can of this stuff. It is unreal!!! I use it on every inch of my bike and it gets everything off (tar, bird poop, bug guts, etc) effortlessly. All the bike guys swear by this stuff. When I get around to washing my car, I'm gonna try it on there too. It cleans and polishes at the same time for an instant shine.

southern6er22
05-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Go to your local motorcycle shop and pick up a can of this stuff. It is unreal!!! I use it on every inch of my bike and it gets everything off (tar, bird poop, bug guts, etc) effortlessly. All the bike guys swear by this stuff. When I get around to washing my car, I'm gonna try it on there too. It cleans and polishes at the same time for an instant shine.

Thanks for the tip.

Let me get a black leather vest, grow a beer gut, and tattoo an angel and a hooker's name on my scrawny biceps, and then I might be able to enter such an institution :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

JONNYCHIRO
05-21-2012, 11:11 AM
That hooker's name better be Amy.
Stacy and you're clear outta arm real estate.

southern6er22
05-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Haha. I might have to think vertically. Good thing I'm tall.

JONNYCHIRO
05-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Haha. I might have to think vertically. Good thing I'm tall.

In that case she can be Anastasia
Or Victoriana Or Emmanuelle. ;):):)

southern6er22
05-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Those are much better hooker names. Amy is a bit boring.

Itinj6
05-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the tip.

Let me get a black leather vest, grow a beer gut, and tattoo an angel and a hooker's name on my scrawny biceps, and then I might be able to enter such an institution :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

All that just for a cleaner?

It's Honda Cleaner, not Harley cleaner. I was talking about sport bikes, ya know the ones that race on a track. Not fart down the road in a straight line

southern6er22
05-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Hahaha. Is there a difference? I kid, I kid :D

Sadly, I think I might look just as out of place in a sport bike shop as a Harley shop. Know anyone cool I can send in my place? lol

southern6er22
05-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Washed the car yesterday, so the subsequent rain is right on time.

JONNYCHIRO
05-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Wow bird's eye is weird shot of the 6.
Looks bloated. :):):)

southern6er22
05-21-2012, 06:41 PM
It's just gas.

Itinj6
05-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Wow bird's eye is weird shot of the 6.
Looks bloated. :):):)

Easier for them to take a sh*t on. They seem to never miss my car.

Itinj6
05-21-2012, 10:09 PM
Hahaha. Is there a difference? I kid, I kid :D

Sadly, I think I might look just as out of place in a sport bike shop as a Harley shop. Know anyone cool I can send in my place? lol

You're killing me Smalls. Lol. Those shops are usually dead. Just tell them you need Honda Cleaner. You won't regret it.

southern6er22
05-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Smalls? What happened to Southey? At least give me a z - "Smallz." Trying to up my street cred. I'd get a bike, but I'd probably kill myself the first day. I'm way too in love with myself to do that :D At the very least I'd probably scrape up my face to the point that y'all wouldn't recognize me... oh wait ;)

Itinj6
05-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Smalls? What happened to Southey? At least give me a z - "Smallz." Trying to up my street cred. I'd get a bike, but I'd probably kill myself the first day. I'm way too in love with myself to do that :D At the very least I'd probably scrape up my face to the point that y'all wouldn't recognize me... oh wait ;)

You're killing me again lol... Didn't you see "The Sandlot?" I though everyone knew that quote.

Anyways, You can make a bike as dangerous as you want to. I have a dilemma with mine. It's gonna be in a separate thread though.

Those pics of your face look they have been erased in a road rash incident lol.

southern6er22
05-21-2012, 10:51 PM
If that were the case, would I be a little more Bad A$$ and a little less Brooks Brothers?

Itinj6
11-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Saw this at the dealership today... Just for you, Southey, so you don't tear up those precious soft hands :)

southern6er22
11-19-2012, 09:28 PM
LOL. Can you say stocking stuffer? :D

wlin2001
11-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Saw this at the dealership today... Just for you, Southey, so you don't tear up those precious soft hands :)

lol.. awesome product :rofl:

Itinj6
11-21-2012, 12:50 AM
lol.. awesome product :rofl:

Are you being serious or sarcastic lol because ^^^Southern^^^ always complains that cleaning the wheels (373M) are destroying his hands from the sharp edges lol.

mdkeltz
11-25-2012, 08:02 AM
@ Southy

Great blog on the GT leather cleaning/conditioning products!

Do you have an update on whether you stuck to your "Cattle Cleaning" schedule and have you noticed a difference in the appearance or feel of the leather after a couple of iterations?

Thanks!

Have a great Thanksgiving Weekend y'all!