PDA

View Full Version : French Franc Officially Out of Circulation - What Euro Currencies Do You Still Have?

JSpira
02-19-2012, 07:41 AM
On Friday,the French franc officialy went out of circulation. I didn't have any to convert, nor would I have run over to France to stand in line for a 50 franc note, but I do have Schilling and DM notes. :angel:

What do you have?

http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/wp-content/themes/arthemia-premium/scripts/timthumb.php?src=wp-content/uploads/2012/02/50-Franc-Note-v2-300x184.png&w=100&h=65&zc=1&q=90 (http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2012/02/france-bids-the-franc-farewell/)
France Bids the Franc Farewell (http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2012/02/france-bids-the-franc-farewell/)
The French Franc, first introduced in 1360, exited the world’s stage Friday, which was the deadline to convert franc bills into euros, the European common currency. Coins denominated in francs were taken out of circulation in 2005.France became the second eurozone country to officially retire its old currency, following Italy’s move to do the same in December.

Many European nations have not announced any plans to stop exchanging their former …

Kanuck
02-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Not exactly on topic but I have some East German marks. The 5-Mark note has a nice picture of Thomas Müntzer.

Before the Berlin Wall came down when you went into East Berlin you had to exchange 25 Deutsche Marks for 25 East German Marks. This was a source of hard currency for them as the East German mark was never actually worth anywhere close to the value of the Deutsche Mark.

It was forbidden to take East German marks outside of East Germany but they were surprisingly hard to spend. I remember having lunch there with the worst beer I have ever tasted. When we got on the s-bahn to come back I forgot to throw them away first and then was terrified we would be caught with them. It was quite a relief to pass over the wall and get back to the western side.

I believe they are now worthless. The time to exchange them was just after unification when you could exchange large amounts of East German marks at very advantageous rates. That was a bonanza for the East Germans.

Andrew*Debbie
02-19-2012, 09:18 AM
I have a 10 Fen Chinese Tourist Script note from the late 1980's. 100Fen = 1 Yuan.
Debbie has some Renminbi coins and may have a few Yuan notes stashed away somewhere. These are probably still legal tender.

Somewhere I have a few of the old Mexican Peso notes with an absurd number of zeros on them. 1000 of the old Pesos = 1 nuevo peso.

Knott's Berry Farm coins from the 1960s, although they may have been lost when we moved to the UK

I had some $2 USD silver certificates from the 1920's that went missing when we moved.

Modern EUR, GBP and USD.

I believe they are now worthless.

Well there is the sentimental value. :)

If you haven't already seen it, be sure to rent Farewell Lenin. I posted a YouTube clip not that long ago.

SD Z4MR
02-19-2012, 10:42 AM
I still have some French francs and Deutsche Marks from previous trips to France and Germany.

M FUNF
02-19-2012, 12:56 PM
I still have,
Schillings
DM's
Italian Lira
Turkish Lira
Drachma
Pesetas
Swiss Francs (still good)
Belgian Francs
French Francs
And a bunch of other doobers from around the world.

FrankAZ
02-19-2012, 02:12 PM
I still have souvenir quantities of:

Pre-decimal British Pounds, shillings, pence.
French Francs
German Marks
Austrian Schillings
Dutch Guilders
Italian Lira
Spanish Pesetas
Belgian Francs
Greek Drachmae
Irish Punts

And working quantities of:

Hungarian Forints
Czech Koruna
Norwegian Kroner
Swedish Krona
Chinese Renminbi
Taiwanese Dollars
Canadian Dollars
Malaysian Ringgits
Euros
Swiss Francs
and, of course, British Pounds

Hmm - writing that list was a little embarrassing. I ought to sell a lot of the stuff I don't expect to use in the next year.

Frank.

Challenge64
02-23-2012, 10:51 AM
I've keep notes and coins from all the countries I've visited. Well notes up to $5.- to $10.- or so. I must have a couple hundred dollars of worthless currency. But it they are memories..