PDA

View Full Version : Is it economical to buy Swiz watches in Munich?

DreamCar
02-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Do you guys know if the watches are cheaper in munich?
Thinking of getting a Omega not sure if it is economical there.
If you guys have any experience please let me know.

Meiac09
02-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Nope. In my experience, VAT outweighs the exchange rate difference, so you're paying the same number of Euros. YMMV though, but I did a decent amount of research and just picked it up here.

stonemik
02-22-2012, 01:12 PM
I bought a very nice cuckoo in Triburg from a shop last year who didn't charge VAT if you weren't a DE citizen and could show a passport or visa. Had to sign a form and have it shipped but it made it... Saved 200EU in total with shipping.
Jewelry I dunno but it worked on a clock
Mike

rmorin49
02-22-2012, 05:20 PM
I seriously doubt if you can save any money buying anything in Europe. The only thing I have bought is something that is not sold in the US, i.e. local beer, wine or a handmade product. Watches, electronics and most other consumer items are cheaper in the US.

As an example here is a nice Omega available on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Omega-3222-80-Speedmaster-Chronograph-Watch/dp/B000VHY6Y8/ref=sr_1_8?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1329956356&sr=1-8. I seriously doubt you could come close to matching this price anywhere in Europe at a reputable retail store.

DreamCar
02-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

M FUNF
02-22-2012, 06:59 PM
I would only buy Swiss watches in Switzerland at one of the big retailers, ie Carl Bucher in Lucerne. Shop for a German made watch if you want a distinctive watch, not commonly seen here.

JSpira
02-22-2012, 09:27 PM
I would only buy Swiss watches in Switzerland at one of the big retailers, ie Carl Bucher in Lucerne. Shop for a German made watch if you want a distinctive watch, not commonly seen here.
I agree on the German watch front. I just wrote an article about a new Glashütte Original (http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2012/01/glashutte-original-senator-perpetual-calendar-watch-review/)of mine. While I love my IWC watches, I think that the Glasshütte Original and A. Lange timepieces are truly more distinctive.

http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/14906-1-297x300.jpg

JSpira
02-22-2012, 09:28 PM
I bought a very nice cuckoo in Triburg from a shop last year who didn't charge VAT if you weren't a DE citizen and could show a passport or visa. Had to sign a form and have it shipped but it made it... Saved 200EU in total with shipping.
Jewelry I dunno but it worked on a clock
Mike
But that´s normal, not charging MWSt. on an item that´s being exported by the merchant. Nothing special there.

b-y
02-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Do you guys know if the watches are cheaper in munich?
Thinking of getting a Omega not sure if it is economical there.
If you guys have any experience please let me know.

Will you be driving to Switzerland or Italy? If so, look into Samnaun, about the only truly duty free shopping in Western Europe.

dbknightx
02-23-2012, 06:38 AM
Will you be driving to Switzerland or Italy? If so, look into Samnaun, about the only truly duty free shopping in Western Europe.
I'll be driving from Munich to Lake Como at the end of April and am thinking about stopping in Samnaun on the way.

Is it relatively easy to get in and out of from the Austrian side? Do they impose limits on what you're bringing out for people with non-EU (American) passports?

My wife wants to go shopping in Milan and anything I can do to divert her elsewhere is probably in my (and my wallet's) best interest. :)

Thanks!

-David

Solanno1
02-23-2012, 07:21 AM
You may want to try the airport duty free shops. You don't pay VAT there and, even with the Euro inching up, you may come out ahead. Rolex Explorer II is > $750 cheaper at AMS as compared to the US MSRP. YMMV @ MUC.

boi222
02-23-2012, 07:51 AM
I seriously doubt if you can save any money buying anything in Europe. The only thing I have bought is something that is not sold in the US, i.e. local beer, wine or a handmade product. Watches, electronics and most other consumer items are cheaper in the US.

As an example here is a nice Omega available on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Omega-3222-80-Speedmaster-Chronograph-Watch/dp/B000VHY6Y8/ref=sr_1_8?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1329956356&sr=1-8. I seriously doubt you could come close to matching this price anywhere in Europe at a reputable retail store.

i heard designer handbags and shoes are cheaper in Europe due to the VAT savings..

Meiac09
02-23-2012, 08:21 AM
i heard designer handbags and shoes are cheaper in Europe due to the VAT savings..

Detaxing works, to a limit. You "have to" declare over 800 USD or 1600 if you're married worth of stuff coming in. Also, the programs charge a healthy commission, so you only get half of the 20% back. You get a special receipt from the store and then have it stamped and turn it in when you leave the airport, but it's only really worth it on the high end.

Never once had a problem going in and out of the EU, or across Swiss borders with controls. On the way to Germany, I walked through with two new iPhones and iPads in the boxes and there wasn't even a person at the gate.

b-y
02-23-2012, 08:53 AM
I'll be driving from Munich to Lake Como at the end of April and am thinking about stopping in Samnaun on the way.

Is it relatively easy to get in and out of from the Austrian side? YES

Do they impose limits on what you're bringing out for people with non-EU (American) passports? NO

Thanks!

-David

Everything is explained here: http://www.samnaun.ch/en/navpage-DutyfreeSAMN.html

Solanno1
02-23-2012, 09:40 AM

True. However, you need to ask yourself if it is important for you to buy from an authorized dealer. I would never buy from the grey market but that's just me.

NateXTR
02-24-2012, 07:56 AM
True. However, you need to ask yourself if it is important for you to buy from an authorized dealer. I would never buy from the grey market but that's just me.

Agreed. Plus there are so many good fakes out there now that I'd be afraid to buy any high-end watch on the Internet (with very few exceptions).

Some stores (Wempe, if I recall correctly) used to agree to ship the box and paper-work directly to your address at home so that you could wear the watch home and not declare it. You can still apply for the V.A.T. refund at the airport and just hide the paperwork. Of course, this is illegal so you must wrestle with the moral implications. That said, 20% off on a watch that you might not be able to get stateside even for MSRP (think stainless Daytona) can equal quite a savings.

Solanno1
02-24-2012, 08:15 AM
That said, 20% off on a watch that you might not be able to get stateside even for MSRP (think stainless Daytona) can equal quite a savings.
I don't think you'll be able to get the SS Daytona :angel: off the shelf anywhere in the world :cry:

M FUNF
02-24-2012, 09:11 AM
I don't think you'll be able to get the SS Daytona :angel: off the shelf anywhere in the world :cry:

I got mine for free, it is a great cultural differences story.:D:):thumbup:

Solanno1
02-24-2012, 10:01 AM
I got mine for free, it is a great cultural differences story.:D:):thumbup:

That's :thumbup:. How do I get to be a part of your culture

M FUNF
02-24-2012, 12:36 PM
That's :thumbup:. How do I get to be a part of your culture

Got me it came as a surprise to me. :dunno:

The story, my wife is an Ob\Gyn she delivered the first grandchild, (a grandson) of the only child (daughter) of the local rolex dealer, I had been in his shop about 18 months before having one of my Rolex's serviced, and asked if he ever got any SS Daytonas in. He said, yes, and told me they were already spoken for but would call me when one came in so I could see it and decide if I really needed it. Well he never called and I picked up our watches that were in for service and never thought anything about it. The day after the grandsons delivery he came in to the room while my wife was there and gave her a gift wrapped box and said "Thank You, for all you have done, I know your husband wants one of these". She gave it to me as a fathers day gift. :angel:

chrischeung
02-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Do you know the local Ferrari dealer?

The local heart transplant expert used to get free high end cars out of gratitude for saving rich folk's lives.

b-y
02-24-2012, 02:49 PM

The local heart transplant expert used to get free high end cars out of gratitude for saving rich folk's lives.

OH NO!... (and considerably OT)... Does this mean I am supposed to tip the transplant surgeon?

M FUNF
02-24-2012, 02:51 PM

Yes I know the local Ferrari dealer where I used to live. However the local Ferrari dealer sells John Deere.

chrischeung
02-24-2012, 03:10 PM
OH NO!... (and considerably OT)... Does this mean I am supposed to transplant surgeon?

If you save the lives of multi-millionaires they tend to be personally grateful. But you need to have good percentages - 30% survival ain't going to make the grade. This guy was 90%+ post-op 1 year, hence his popularity.

Back on topic, get the best local price, then see if it is cheaper in Munich.

Solanno1
02-25-2012, 07:11 AM
Got me it came as a surprise to me. :dunno:

The story, my wife is an Ob\Gyn she delivered the first grandchild, (a grandson) of the only child (daughter) of the local rolex dealer, I had been in his shop about 18 months before having one of my Rolex's serviced, and asked if he ever got any SS Daytonas in. He said, yes, and told me they were already spoken for but would call me when one came in so I could see it and decide if I really needed it. Well he never called and I picked up our watches that were in for service and never thought anything about it. The day after the grandsons delivery he came in to the room while my wife was there and gave her a gift wrapped box and said "Thank You, for all you have done, I know your husband wants one of these". She gave it to me as a fathers day gift. :angel:

Moral of the story...marry an OB/GYN. I'd prefer a SS Daytona to a Ferrari.....NOT.

alex md
02-25-2012, 11:00 AM
i have been collecting watches for many years and active on watchnet,timezone and similar watch forums for 15+ years
You will NEVER buy high end watch in Europe/especially in Switzerland/. End of story
You might find variety somewhat better in some stores at any given moment, but prepare to pay full MSRP for this.
Here in US you can get discount depend on a model, your expertise, willingness to wait etc....
Alex
P.S Prior to introduction of Euro that was the case in some countries due to exchange rates, but not anymore.....

M FUNF
02-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Moral of the story...marry an OB/GYN. I'd prefer a SS Daytona to a Ferrari.....NOT.

Already had the Ferrari, so the watch was appreciated. :thumbup: Got a 348 for my 45th birthday, and a 355 for my 50th. Mama likes me! :angel:

Face128i
02-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Does anyone have experience with Tutima watches?

I really like the look of the Grand Classic Black Chronograph, but with no local authorized retailer, I haven't been able to see in person.

alex md
02-26-2012, 03:01 PM
check timezone.com- best place to explore world of watches

b-y
02-26-2012, 07:54 PM
I have been following this thread and interested in everyon'e opinions and conclusions. I decided to add some real data to the discussion, but I should warn you that I am violating several rules related to statistical inference. (I can almost hear my former statistics professors saying "Do NOT generalize from samples of one" and "Do NOT rely on data from 'opportunistic' samples.") Nevertheless, here it is:

Yesterday I went to the fine jewelry display at the local Costco. (Yes, what an oxymoron!) I looked for a watch I would actually like to own. The one I found would was a Breitling Super Avenger black dial, steel case and band. According to the Breitling website (http://www.breitling.com/en/models/avenger/super-avenger/versions/index.php), Tourneau carries it for $5490. The Costco price was $4499. (See below for one of the worst pix ever posted here. Shot with my iPhone under bad lighting and through a case with several reflections.)

So...what is the price in Switzerland or Germany, with or without VAT? Anyone have any specific information?

M FUNF
02-27-2012, 10:37 AM
If you want a German watch I would recommend either a Sinn made in Frankfurt, do a search on the internet for them, or a Dubois & Fils which is centered in Pforzheim - near Stuttgart. I have a Titanium GMT from Sinn that I use regularly, and a Dubois DB 38320 that I dearly love.

Solanno1
02-28-2012, 09:42 AM
You will NEVER buy high end watch in Europe/especially in Switzerland/. End of story
You might find variety somewhat better in some stores at any given moment, but prepare to pay full MSRP for this.
Here in US you can get discount depend on a model, your expertise, willingness to wait etc....
Alex

You may be right for Omegas and Brietlings where you can negotiate upto 20% off at Stateside dealers (I got 20% off on Constellation Chronometer and 30% off on my Speedy) but I have found prices on Rolex most competitive at European airports (duty free).

Haven't been able to negotiate anything > 5% at Rolex ADs in the US and so they haven't gotten my business. Sure, I haven't looked at all-Au copies where the discounts could be higher. Bought the new Explorer II at AMS for ~euro 5100 (~$6600) at AMS this past Dec which is $1100 cheaper (not including sales tax) than the US MSRP. AFAIK, Exp II's are not discounted at this time anywhere in the US. Like I said before, YMMV.