PDA

View Full Version : 2012 550GT M-Sport / Sport Exhaust note

bdman
02-23-2012, 01:54 AM
Last week while parking my friend told me he loved the aggressive sound of my exhaust note. To be exact he stated that "it's sounds badass". A month prior to this observation during a particularly warm day with my windows down I accelerated from the light onto the Williamsburg Bridge in Brooklyn and my passenger asked me, "What was that sound when we got on the bridge? It sounded incredible".

Since then I've been driving with the windows down on cold days and the radio muted so I can enjoy the burble of the sport exhaust. To that end I've recorded a short video of me parking in my lot after leaving my iPhone propped against the fence to record it's sweet timbre.

Coming from an 03 E46 M3 Cab and an 08 E93 M3 I'm used to hearing the symphonious mix of engine and exhaust note produced in the open air. I must admit I'm very impressed with the subdued muscle car growl produced by the M-Sport package's sport exhaust. It almost makes up for the missing M door sills :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a8xgyOlHIE

samberken
02-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Will my 535GT Msport sound anywhere close to it? in other words, is it the sport package of the bigger displacement...

bdman
02-23-2012, 06:01 PM
I don't believe the M-Sport package for the 535GT includes the sport exhaust.

1STBimmer
02-24-2012, 02:03 PM
M-Sport exhaust + several tunnels in the route from Genova to Monaco....ahh great memories.

I find myself driving with the windows down a lot more as well. Also, I tend to keep the storage divider deck stowed so that more sound gets into the cabin...

Sorry the 535 m-pack doesn't have the sport exhaust...

Itinj6
02-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Sorry to invade your Forum, but there is an ongoing debate regarding the exhaust of the F12/13 650i M-Sport vs non M-Sport and this thread caught my attention.

People are claiming that they can hear a substantial difference in exhaust note between M-Sport and non M-Sport. All the dealers and just about anyone affiliated with BMW are saying that M-Sport is just a cosmetic upgrade because BMWNA didn't want to pay for the emissions standards testing for a different exhaust (or something like that). One claims that he heard that the M-Sport has a tinkered fuel/air mixture to produce that sound.

Overseas M-Sport models have it published, that there is a sport exhaust added but for USA models, it isn't published.

Some claim that by putting in Sport mode (while in Drive), it opens up the exhaust pipe valves (two of four are closed normally) to get that burble.

Sorry for the long post, but my questions are:

1) do you guys know for sure that the M-Sport models on the 550s have a different exhaust than non M-Sport? (Published, hearsay or just personal experience)

2) to the OP, do you have the Drive Mode set to Sport to get that burbling and if so, do you get the burbling in Comfort mode as well?

Thanks in advance!

bdman
02-24-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm pretty sure if you check the 2012 GT ordering guide you will see "Note: includes sport exhaust" listed for the ZMP package for the 550s - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=289224&d=1313431026

Once in Sport mode the exhaust's tone is more aggressive and prominent but that could be a symptom of the Sport mode's aggressive gear shift mapping. Since there is no performance boost from the sport exhaust it's entirely possible that sport mode also modifies the exhaust note. Either way I don't care I love the sound of my exhaust and it's dark chrome tailpipes complete the shadowline trim look.

I'll test in normal mode (I don't have ZDH) when I park up tonight. I'll record another video to compare.

I recently got the dreaded drivetrain malfunction fault and have been cautious about really warming up the car and not even entering sport mode until the engine temp has settled. I don't know of it makes a difference but my malfunction occurred when I started up the car shifted into sport mode and quickly pulled out of a parking space in Manhattan 2 weeks ago. The nav hadn't even loaded fully and I think I "freaked" out the car's computer by trying to do so much at once. Since then I've been careful upon startup and wait at least till the needle on the tach drops it's idle on cold start before even shifting ino drive.

Itinj6
02-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Thank you very much for the reply and hopefully your car's computer just farted briefly.

On a side note, Shadowline trim isn't available for the F12/13 M-Sport package either so im a bit skeptical about the sport exhaust since it isn't published for my car.

bdman
02-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Driving around Brooklyn today I set of 3 car alarms. I came to expect that when I had my E93 M3 and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised that my GT has a similar effect. And like 1STBimmer I drive with my storage divider partition stowed to enhance the sound in the cabin. ;)

Victon
02-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Last week while parking my friend told me he loved the aggressive sound of my exhaust note. To be exact he stated that "it's sounds badass". A month prior to this observation during a particularly warm day with my windows down I accelerated from the light onto the Williamsburg Bridge in Brooklyn and my passenger asked me, "What was that sound when we got on the bridge? It sounded incredible".

Since then I've been driving with the windows down on cold days and the radio muted so I can enjoy the burble of the sport exhaust. To that end I've recorded a short video of me parking in my lot after leaving my iPhone propped against the fence to record it's sweet timbre.

Coming from an 03 E46 M3 Cab and an 08 E93 M3 I'm used to hearing the symphonious mix of engine and exhaust note produced in the open air. I must admit I'm very impressed with the subdued muscle car growl produced by the M-Sport package's sport exhaust. It almost makes up for the missing M door sills :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a8xgyOlHIE

Well.. Hate this sound! Had I known that my GT Msport 550 would produce it, I wouldn't have ordered it. Sorry.. Tastes and cultures differ... :mad: Have asked BMW technicians to do smth to take it out.

mpress
02-27-2012, 07:44 PM
sounds great