PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on used 2011 550 GT...Help please

beamerGE
02-23-2012, 07:16 AM
So I currently own an F10 550i sedan and love it. My wife and I are expecting our first child and she is currently driving a jeep compass and would rather drive a car as opposed to another SUV. Unfortunately she loves Honda Accords and will settle for one of those because her tastes aren't as fancy as mine (Her words!!) With the lugging around for everything for the baby and the amount of visiting family as much as I love the 5er the back seat can seem a little small.

I went to look at a 2009 X6 50 today for 57K. It was nice but not worth 57K in my opinion. Plus it seems like the interior changed from 09-10 because the GPS screen was small and the controls seem outdated.

There happened to be a 2011 550i GT with about 3k miles sitting two cars away. It's loaded (even has night vision and rear entertainment)) and it's going for 49K. I've never been a fan (from far away) but after sitting in the back seat and checking out all the gizmos in this car I'm tempted to make the switch. I love my V-8 and even though it's heavier than my 550 I'm sure it will still "move" when I want it to. The only 2 drawbacks were the color. It's silver and I like gray but that's not a dealbreaker and I'm not a fan of chrome, but the dealer gave me the name of some Bimmer folks who will change the exterior trim to black for a good price.

I know there aren't many out there but I'd like some opinions from GT owners on this matter. I'm taking it out for test drive on Saturday and am looking forward to it. I just can't get over how nice the interior of this car is!:dunno:

kjmurphy
02-23-2012, 08:50 AM
My wife purchased a 535GT in November and we have been extremely happy with every aspect of the car. We thought about the 550GT, but realized that we didn't need the extra power and found the mpg hard to accept. The GT is better than the X6 in every possible category and you will not regret the purchase.

Kevin

lexhair
02-23-2012, 11:48 AM
That seems like a very good price for a 550GT.

Mikez38
02-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Just be aware of the poor gas milage you will get. City driving is approx. 14 mpg.
There doesn't seem to be a tire problem with the GT tires, just the sedan models. The car has more power than you could want.

beamerGE
02-23-2012, 02:42 PM
So I went back and got some more info on the auto. I was mistaken about the year and miles info. It's a 2010 with only 5K miles. It has the following packages and other toys:
Titanium Silver Metallic
Black Perforated Nappa Leather
8-Speed Steptronic
Technology Package
Cold Weather Package
Luxury Seating Package
Premium Sound Package
Convenience Package
Side View Cameras
Night Vision
Ceramic Controls (I've never seen in person...very sweet!)
Soft Close Doors
Automatic Tailgate

All for 49K (which is negotiable) Actually spent a little time playing with the car and really liked the:
1. Two options to open the trunk
2. Sitting higher but not that high. Reminds me of my old Infiniti FX.
3. Simple press button operation of lowering the back seats for larger pieces of whatever! (IKEA boxes)
4. Fact that there aren't many on the road. It's carved a special niche and for those that can appreciate the looks you're getting something special.
I'm driving it Saturday and have every intention of trying Sport mode in this beast! Thanks for all the advice!:thumbup:

kashrahman
02-24-2012, 08:11 AM
personally, I would go for it! 49K is a bargain compared to what we paid for our new 11 535GT, with similar options. I love the night vision, and the kid loves the rear entertainment. We ended up with everything except active cruise control (wife doesn't use cruise control) and active steering. but add everything up and I paid . . . well, let's just say it's a lot more. 5K miles is nothing, though I would do an oil change (or at least make sure someone did a low mileage oil change). Also, these are not great on gas, but considering they are large, comfortable, luxurious, the gas mileage is what I would expect. Wife gets just barely better gas mileage (19.1 overall) in her GT compared to her 06 750LI (18.9), but that's likely due to mostly city driving.

mpress
02-24-2012, 03:52 PM
the car is amazing and the most versatile in the bmw line up.. while you can't build the car the same way anymore as packages at bmw are always changing the car you described is a 75K dollar car give or take a thousand... for 49K its a steal..and the money you save will pay for the extra gas you need....

be aware that there have certainly been some improvements in the car in the last two model years..but i know a few people with 10's and they still love em.....

1STBimmer
02-25-2012, 08:27 AM
the 2010s have the dynamic damper control standard :)

good car. wife drives around w two kids and coming from an x5, she loves it.

good luck w/the car shopping.

car-fan
02-27-2012, 06:22 PM
personally, I would go for it! 49K is a bargain compared to what we paid for our new 11 535GT, with similar options. I love the night vision, and the kid loves the rear entertainment. We ended up with everything except active cruise control (wife doesn't use cruise control) and active steering. but add everything up and I paid . . . well, let's just say it's a lot more. 5K miles is nothing, though I would do an oil change (or at least make sure someone did a low mileage oil change). Also, these are not great on gas, but considering they are large, comfortable, luxurious, the gas mileage is what I would expect. Wife gets just barely better gas mileage (19.1 overall) in her GT compared to her 06 750LI (18.9), but that's likely due to mostly city driving.

+ 1 :thumbup::thumbup:

That's likely a car with an MSRP of around 86k or so. It seems the only thing you are missing is the Sport Package - no? Go for it, the GT has more leg room than any current BMW save for the long wheel base F02 7 Series. The GT is really a 7 Series at a discount. Think 5 door 7 as opposed to hatch back F10 5 Series..

Victon
02-27-2012, 06:56 PM
n

Victon
02-27-2012, 06:58 PM
So I currently own an F10 550i sedan and love it. My wife and I are expecting our first child and she is currently driving a jeep compass and would rather drive a car as opposed to another SUV. Unfortunately she loves Honda Accords and will settle for one of those because her tastes aren't as fancy as mine (Her words!!) With the lugging around for everything for the baby and the amount of visiting family as much as I love the 5er the back seat can seem a little small.

I went to look at a 2009 X6 50 today for 57K. It was nice but not worth 57K in my opinion. Plus it seems like the interior changed from 09-10 because the GPS screen was small and the controls seem outdated.

There happened to be a 2011 550i GT with about 3k miles sitting two cars away. It's loaded (even has night vision and rear entertainment)) and it's going for 49K. I've never been a fan (from far away) but after sitting in the back seat and checking out all the gizmos in this car I'm tempted to make the switch. I love my V-8 and even though it's heavier than my 550 I'm sure it will still "move" when I want it to. The only 2 drawbacks were the color. It's silver and I like gray but that's not a dealbreaker and I'm not a fan of chrome, but the dealer gave me the name of some Bimmer folks who will change the exterior trim to black for a good price.

I know there aren't many out there but I'd like some opinions from GT owners on this matter. I'm taking it out for test drive on Saturday and am looking forward to it. I just can't get over how nice the interior of this car is!:dunno:

You are in Germany, right? 49K are $ or Euro?

Capobranco
02-28-2012, 06:01 AM
.... I love my V-8 and even though it's heavier than my 550 I'm sure it will still "move" when I want it to. ......:dunno:

The 550i GT is dynamically equivalent to the F10 550i - (I have previously posted test numbers from R&T on this forum). In the wild, despite being heavier, I found the F07 to be the more engaging ride. The F07 steering is more communicative and the ride offers a better solution in terms of compliance and sport - my 2010 had adaptive suspension and BMW's very tactile standard steering. The rush of power from the big twin turbo V8 always put a smile on my face. My GT was truly a special car that could tackle mountain twisties with aplomb, effortlessly cruise at high speed all day in sublime comfort, and had the capacity to haul the dog, bikes etc if required. I was disappointed by the GT's quiet exhaust note - more luxury car than GT. I did enjoy the rarity of the GT - it was fun driving a BMW "exotic".