PDA

View Full Version : Chip-less Credit Cards in Europe

HWF
03-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Just wondering if I'll have any problems during my upcoming ED if I use the typical U.S. credit cards that do not have the security chip. I'll be driving in Germany, Austria, Italy, France, and dropping off in Geneva.

HWF
03-03-2012, 01:20 PM
I also submitted this post in the new Travel Forum.

Just wondering if I'll have any problems during my upcoming (April) ED if I use credit cards that do not have the security chip. I'll be driving in Germany, Austria, Italy, France, and dropping off in Geneva.

RMK
03-03-2012, 01:48 PM
HWF: Last year when we were traveling in France and Italy, the only problems we ran across using US non-chipped credit cards was that you could not use them in electronic pay devices such as parking garages, toll plazas, vending machines, etc. There was no trouble using the US magnetic taped cards at hotels, restaurants, shops, and ATM's. See you at the Welt on April 19th. The wait is tough. By the way, VISA is the most widely accepted card in most of Europe.:thumbup:

SoonerJohn
03-03-2012, 01:53 PM
In my experience, it is very rarely a problem, so don't worry about it.

northeast_3er
03-03-2012, 01:59 PM
I was in Germany and Austria this January. I only used chip-less credit cards, without any problems anywhere. I think it holds true for most of the European countries...

However, keep a close eye on your online statements... i had a fraudulent transaction 2 weeks after coming back home... not sure if it was related to my recent travel though

For cash, best way IMO is to use your debit card with a trusted bank ATM...end up paying a commission with your bank but usually a small amount as opposed to changing money in airports or most places.

gbarros
03-03-2012, 03:09 PM
I had all sorts of problems with not having a chip. In smaller towns where they see less tourists I got all sorts of odd looks; in one restaurant they did not know how to use the swipe, in another the swiper had never been used and was not working. I also had trouble buying gas off the beaten track as a large number of gas stations had no attendant and were chip-card only.

With that in mind, if you are staying to larger towns and the normal highways you should have no problems. Just keep a safe amount of cash on you JIC.

hellosopo
03-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Don't expect to use them at machines.

cwsqbm
03-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Don't expect to use them at machines.

That was my number one problem. Just off the plane in France, I couldn't use my card to buy a train ticket at a machine. Of our group of three, luckly one person had a card that worked. He ended up being the one to take care of all machine-related purchases (but not ATM-related) for the rest of the trip. I never had an issue when dealing with a person.

wh00sh
03-03-2012, 07:14 PM
I also had trouble buying gas off the beaten track as a large number of gas stations had no attendant and were chip-card only.
I never found a gas station with any automated payment system... strange. I did end up doing swipe at a station in Austria after the attendant motioned for me to use the terminal myself. The attendant nearly had a fit, but it ended up working just fine.

gbarros
03-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Rural France. When we were driving through Austria we had filled up at the border in Germany and were doing our best to turn the car in with just gas fumes left :)

HWF
03-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Based on your experiences, I applied tonight for a new JP Morgan Select Visa Card. It's chipped, and no foreign exchange fees. Sounds like the right choice. Thanks to all of you for your comments.

wh00sh
03-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Based on your experiences, I applied tonight for a new JP Morgan Select Visa Card. It's chipped, and no foreign exchange fees. Sounds like the right choice. Thanks to all of you for your comments.
Very wise - I only found out about this card 4 days before we left, and wish I would have had time to apply for one. The exchange fees savings will be significant if you are going to be traveling for more than a few days over there. Also be sure to look into cash advance fees - you may find that to be a better value than using your ATM card. We got killed with fees when getting cash.

gbarros
03-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Please let us know how well the card works, I might do the same for the next one :)

jordanM3
03-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Many AMEX cards also have no foreign transaction fees (at least the Platinum and Centurions).

grizbo
03-04-2012, 06:13 AM
Also, before leaving on your trip let the cc holder know when and what countries you'll be visiting in Europe. I checked with my cc bank on cash advance options before leaving; fees are horrible so I took a few hundred dollars and hit a bank on arrival.

Wine-O
03-04-2012, 07:22 AM
I also submitted this post in the new Travel Forum.

Just wondering if I'll have any problems during my upcoming (April) ED if I use credit cards that do not have the security chip. I'll be driving in Germany, Austria, Italy, France, and dropping off in Geneva.

In Italy, the local, unmanned stations only took cash fed into the pump or a credit card with a chip. When I went to drop off my rental car in Zurich, I looked for a manned station as I didn't have a lot of cash and wanted to use my credit card. I found one downtown, but the attendant told me that I needed a credit card with a chip. Since I didn't have one, she asked if I had an AMEX card -- that was the only card that worked without the chip, and it did work. Not sure if that's the case with the Italy unmanned stations.

RVD
03-04-2012, 02:08 PM
it also helps to have a pin along with the chip. at least that seems to be standard protocol in europe...use the chipped card, they give you the little machine where you enter in your pin, press the green enter button, and then you get the ack and printout.

that said, i was fine this entire trip without the pin but it is a little bit more of a hassle since it's not common.

HWF
03-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Based on all the comments I received on the ED Forum, I applied for the JP Morgan Select Visa card, which is chipped, and which doesn't charge foreign transaction fees. $95 fee waived first year.

JSpira
03-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Based on all the comments I received on the ED Forum, I applied for the JP Morgan Select Visa card, which is chipped, and which doesn't charge foreign transaction fees. $95 fee waived first year.

The JP Morgan cards are chip-and-signature, not chip-and-PIN.

In most cases, you should be fine but there is the rare place where only a chip-and-PIN will do the job.

gbarros
03-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Will chip-and-signature work on automated machines?

1STBimmer
03-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Will chip-and-signature work on automated machines?

I wasn't able to use my JPM chipped card at underground stations in London to buy tickets or at the vaporetto stop (boat-bus) in Venice to buy a bus-pass.

Everywhere else I was able to use my chip-less AMEX Platinum, including unmanned toll booths in Italy and vending machines in the UK, Germany and Austria.

IMO The JPM card is useless w/o the PIN if you have an AMEX Plat (or Centurion) card. Save for the rare occasion where the store doesn't take AMEX, an issue I didn't run into.

Neither card charges foreign exchange fees which is great :thumbup:

Lsg1114
03-06-2012, 06:58 PM
How difficult will it be to park without a chip and pin card? Do parking garages have attendants?

the J-Man
03-06-2012, 10:43 PM
The Chase Hyatt cards now have a chip (pin or signature I don't know), and no foreign transaction fees, plus you get two free nights any Hyatt for signing up.

Meiac09
03-21-2012, 06:00 AM
The biggest problems I had were explaining to people that it had to be swiped (generally French who would try to stick it into the chip reader) and the Berliners who won't take credit cards without a fight (nor a large bill). You should be fine, and I was impressed that there was no problem in Austria on the highways with it.

X3 Skier
03-21-2012, 07:01 AM
The Dutch railroad system will not take ANY card without a chip and PIN, even at a manned ticket booth. Tried to buy a ticket from Schipol Airport to Amsterdam and wound up having to get cash from an ATM to buy a ticket.

I believe this is the trend at least in Holland so I only hope the USA banking system enters the 21st Century.:angel:

Cheers

Me530
03-26-2012, 12:44 PM
It would be great to have a consolidated thread (or two) (sticky?) that lists: 1) verified chip and pin credit cards with links to the corresponding website, and 2) verified no foreign exchange transaction fee credit cards with links to the corresponding websites.

JSpira
03-26-2012, 12:47 PM
It would be great to have a consolidated thread (or two) (sticky?) that lists: 1) verified chip and pin credit cards with links to the corresponding website, and 2) verified no foreign exchange transaction fee credit cards with links to the corresponding websites.

Good idea!

Please feel free to start both.

RVD
03-26-2012, 01:47 PM
I also took the train in Amsterdam from the airport to the Centraal train station. But for things like this and the tram, etc. where it's pretty cheap (under $10), I pretty much always use cash (euros).

In London, I was able to use my swipe credit card at the airport to buy a train ticket to Paddington station. My round trip ticket was pretty expensive though (34 pounds...$50!)