PDA

View Full Version : European Data Roaming SIM Card for iPhone

sjohal
03-11-2012, 03:34 PM
After doing some searching it seems like the consensus approach is that most AT&T users add a data roaming package before their ED if they plan on using their smartphone in Europe.

I'm a Sprint user (pity me) and I have an unlocked iPhone 4S that I plan on using heavily during my ED in May. Are there any local providers that have a straight forward and affordable prepaid data options for use in Europe (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France)?

I came across iphonetrip.com while searching, which seems reasonable at ~$70ish for a week long trip, but they don't provide any definite coverage maps which makes me a little suspicious.

Are there any local providers in Germany that have good roaming rates throughout Europe? I'm hoping to load up a prepaid sim with around 20-30eur and have that last me the week.

gbarros
03-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Interesting. My experience has been that you have to be insane to consider the AT&T roaming plan :)

I just walked into the phone store at the airport, and bought a sim there, repeat the same as you arrive in each different country (at a gas station.)

roots
03-12-2012, 12:03 AM
If you want to save yourself some hassle of looking and buying the SIM yourself, there's a seller on eBay selling various prepaid German SIM's. I bought one from him for my trip. I'm mainly interested on having data access on my phone and he suggested a blau.de SIM with 10 euro preloaded. The selling price was 29 USD shipping included.

Before I left I selected and activated the package (online via blau.de website). Then yesterday when I got on the S bahn from the airport, I put the SIM in my phone and voila, I have data access.

I can't remember the seller name, but if you're interested I can look it up.

850iFan
03-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Ortel Mobile, a Germany cellular carrier, offers an unlimited data plan for under 10 Euros for 30 days. You must add that plan, which is done by sending a text message, to your SIM cards plan. You can buy Ortel SIM cards in Germany or at Cellular Abroad's website in the United States. They also have a plan for calling back to the United States for 1 Euro cent per minute. That is about 1.3 pennies per minute. It just doesn't make any sense to use AT&T, Sprint or any other US carrier for roaming.

Tanning machine
03-14-2012, 02:06 PM
It just doesn't make any sense to use AT&T, Sprint or any other US carrier for roaming.

It does if you want your US phone number to work in Europe. I realize it is a large price to pay, but for some people it is worth it.

Meiac09
03-21-2012, 04:47 AM
I was in germany on a longer term, and had an o2 data packet, so 5GB prepaid for ***8364;25. Worked for me in Germany. Only.

I had family visit, and we were in four countries in a week, we did the $50 ATT package so business e-mail and Skype were accessible no matter what (roaming in the EU and CH with prepaid almost never works) plus the 150 texts pack and it simplified everything. I use a Skype number that is forwarded to by my google voice number when I'm over there.

northernlights
11-25-2012, 08:12 PM
We have used the VOICE prepaid sim cards in Scotland, Germany, France, Italy and Switzerland. EACH country had their own unique network and you needed to find a SIM card for each place. It became a CHORE to find a store that carried it. This was last done in 2010 and we needed passport info at each place. Hopefully that has changed now?

ard
11-25-2012, 11:05 PM
We have used the VOICE prepaid sim cards in Scotland, Germany, France, Italy and Switzerland. EACH country had their own unique network and you needed to find a SIM card for each place. It became a CHORE to find a store that carried it. This was last done in 2010 and we needed passport info at each place. Hopefully that has changed now?

I was in germany, switzerland, UK and the netherlands... I picked up a vodaphone sim for my ipad and was able to roam data in all countries. (Note: Since I dont need a phone number for the ipad, this was a perfect solution...data cost 1/5 to 1/10 what a roaming package would have cost...) My understanding is that this sim would work fine in my ATT iphone if I'd wanted to pay lower rates and have a local phone number for VOICE calls(I needed the US number access, so just paid to roam)

If you have a GSM phone and pop in a EU sim (say from Germany) it should roam to any of the GSM networks- however outside of germany the costs may be a bit more (but still MUCH less that you would be charged for roaming on a USA ATT sim).

Italy, who knows...feels like a 3rd world country at times.

coldintake
11-26-2012, 12:31 AM
I have Verizon and use their Int travel data package and phone package while doing any traveling.
It's $25 or $30 for 100mb and $3.99/mo to get $0.99/min calls (sent or received anywhere in the world). You also use your US phone number throughout the truip.... I can't imagine why someone other than for business would need to make more than 50-100mins/dollars worth of calls while traveling...

I've found it's not cost effective to travel and buy a phone package in every country(Especially in France) if you're constantly crossing boarders.... However in Austria, they do have phone sim cards that are like 0.03euros/min calling to the US. Spoke for hours and it wouldn't finish with a 20 euro card...

gbarros
11-26-2012, 12:40 PM
I don't understand the need for minutes while traveling, I'm using 99% data, 1% voice. Maybe that not the usual pattern? For the few voice calls I do make, I use skype for $0.05/min or free to other skype users. Just like your regular phone you can also take skype calls just as easily for a similar rate.