PDA

View Full Version : engine failsafe mode?

rodster13
05-14-2004, 10:53 AM
This is the gem that was showing on my LED display when I started the X5 this morning. Still waiting for the call from the dealer.

Has anyone had experience with this?

Please Advise :thumbdwn:

crash8168
05-25-2004, 05:27 PM
thats an electrical failure of some kind. such as the throttle control.

rodster13
05-27-2004, 08:21 AM
thats an electrical failure of some kind. such as the throttle control.

Wow, took awhile for someone to touch that one! I guess that means it's a rare problem?

I called the dealer (Steven's Creek BMW, San Jose CA) about it the same day and they never returned my call. I've had a couple of problems with them so anyone in the area be advised.

The message didn't show up again after that, so I'll wait and see. :eeps:

gis1_us
06-02-2004, 04:25 AM
This is the gem that was showing on my LED display when I started the X5 this morning. Still waiting for the call from the dealer.

Hello,

I had this problem already 3 times, last one was saturday night while driving... 2 times the dealer changed the throttle valve, but I guess is more a ECM problem (I'm already thinking to change the car or turn to a tunned chip for the ECM). The worst is that my car is under warranty; I called the BMW Service, they didn't came because I don't have a membership card!!! You're lucky because you're living the USA, in Europe they don't give a sh*t about customers...
So maybe is time to buy a Mercedes?
Cheers,
George
The Netherlands

Coffeeman
06-23-2004, 12:47 PM

Mine was caused by a bad connector on the MAF. Because BMW does not allow dealers to splice new connectors into wiring harnesses, the entire engine wiring harness had to be replaced. Everthing has been fine since the replacement.

intrceptor
09-29-2004, 03:42 PM
Happened to me yesterday morning. First I got the message "Engine Failsafe Prog", then the 4x4 light came on, then the DSC. At that point, I couldn't drive over about 30 MPH.

I got the car back today. They had two recalls they performed. One was to reprogram the DME (engine computer?) and the 2nd was to replace the instrument cluster (yep - the whole thing).

It now runs better than I can ever remember. It's an '04 4.4 with 12K miles on it.

As a bonus, they took care of the first service a bit ahead of schedule so that saved me another trip back in a few weeks.

Dan

smallfishinsac
03-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Hey all,

I have an 03 e53 4.6is with a Dinan S3 package. For the past 16 months I have had random issues with the X going into "engine failsafe mode" the codes say "throttle body issues" we have replaced it 3 times. We also replaced the gas pedal assembly as a premptive measure. The issue continues, turning my Bavarian Beast into unreliable nightmare! I love this car like my first born child... My indy shop (Valley Motorwerks) and the Dinan mothership in Morgan Hill have run out of ideas. I need some help, any thoughts, ideas and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

TB