PDA

View Full Version : iPhone email and text alerts problem

scuzzlebutt
03-14-2012, 09:30 AM
I have a question about the iPhone email and text alert sounds playing through the car audio system.

Setup:
I have a 2012 550i xDrive with BMWApps, iPhone 4S and the iPhone 4 adapter cradle. Also tried testing with regular white iPhone cable (30pin to USB) and the BMW 30pin to USB/Aux cable from my previous BMW.
Bluetooth: Paired and connected

I was wondering if anyone has noticed that email and text alerts will play through the car speakers if you have the iPhone connected via USB or the Adapter cradle and listening to music stored on the iPhone? However if you are listening to SAT radio or FM/AM the iPhone just vibrates. My guess is since the audio connection is open when listening to music on iPhone that is why you can hear the alerts. I would like to hear alerts if I am listening to SAT as well. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Does BMW Connected App control any of these functions?

Other things I found:
SIRI works as long as you have Bluetooth connected no matter if you are connected via adapter cradle or USB and listening to music on iPhone or SAT/FM/AM.

wdimagineer
03-14-2012, 10:04 AM
This is normal. It's common with the iPhone. It doesn't play audio via the phone speaker if an active audio connection is engaged, including Bluetooth.

I uncheck the "Audio" option under phone configuration unless I'm specifically streaming. When unchecked, notifications play over the phone speaker.

scuzzlebutt
03-14-2012, 10:22 AM
This is normal. It's common with the iPhone. It doesn't play audio via the phone speaker if an active audio connection is engaged, including Bluetooth.

I uncheck the "Audio" option under phone configuration unless I'm specifically streaming. When unchecked, notifications play over the phone speaker.

I understand that it does not play through the phone speaker, but I want it to play through car speaker when SAT radio is playing like it does when listening to iPod function on iPhone. I did not test it when streaming audio via Bluetooth but my guess is it would work but the audio quality is horrible.

By the way, I will go test now but even if I have audio unchecked in phone configuration the phone just vibrates when I get an email or text....and yes the phone is not on vibrate ;)

wdimagineer
03-14-2012, 10:23 AM
I understand that it does not play through the phone speaker, but I want it to play through car speaker when SAT radio is playing like it does when listening to iPod function on iPhone. I did not test it when streaming audio via Bluetooth but my guess is it would work but the audio quality is horrible.

By the way, I will go test now but even if I have audio unchecked in phone configuration the phone just vibrates when I get an email or text....and yes the phone is not on vibrate ;)

It won't play through the car speaker. Notifications are handled differently than phone calls and won't interrupt the current audio source.

scuzzlebutt
03-14-2012, 10:29 AM
It won't play through the car speaker. Notifications are handled differently than phone calls and won't interrupt the current audio source.

It does work when listening to music on iPhone which is nice, but I don't always listen to my iPod and the only way I know I get an email or text is feeling a vibration under my right arm :(

And to be safe if I do get a text I use SIRI to read me the text and reply which works really well ;) If only she could read my email!

wdimagineer
03-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Exactly. If the iPhone isn't the current audio source, you don't hear anything. It's kind of annoying but is what it is.

I have learned to look at the phone at red lights now to make sure I haven't missed something.

scuzzlebutt
03-14-2012, 01:16 PM
You can also use SIRI to compose email which I did not know you could do. SIRI can't read email but she can send it ;)