PDA

View Full Version : FAA to revisit electronic devices policy

JSpira
03-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Great article in the NY Times.

Disruptions: Time to Review F.A.A. Policy on Gadgets (http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/disruptions-time-to-review-f-a-a-policy-on-gadgets/)

SAN FRANCISCO — On Monday morning I’m going to drive to the airport, check in for my flight to New York, then head to the airport bookstore for a stack of magazines to read on the plane. I’ll do this reluctantly because I will carry both an Amazon Kindle and an Apple iPad packed full of reading material in my bag.
I need the paper products because Federal Aviation Administration rules state that I cannot use these digital reading devices (http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/disruptions-fliers-must-turn-off-devices-but-its-not-clear-why/) on an airplane during taxi, take-off or landing.
But this rule might change soon.
When I called the F.A.A. last week to pester them about this regulation — citing experts and research that says these devices could not harm a plane — the F.A.A. responded differently than it usually does. Laura J. Brown, deputy assistant administrator for public affairs for the F.A.A., said that the agency has decided to take a “fresh look” at the use of personal electronics on planes...

b-y
03-19-2012, 10:42 PM
This is also big news on NPR. The FAA and the airlines are going to have a big problem with crew training. My guess is that the average flight attendant can't tell if the radio is on or not in a Kindle or iPad or whatever. And as soon as they do learn, a new generation of devices will be in use.

Maybe I should apply for the training contract.

X3 Skier
03-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Going to a bit of a problem to not allow iPads since they are being issued to flight deck crews as EFB's (Electronic Flight Bags). I suspect they are using them for taxiways maps and other things during the "prohibited" times.

As long as I do not have to listen to the DYKWIA idiots yelling into cell phones ANYTIME on board, Kindles, Nooks, iPads and the like are fine with me.:angel:

Cheers