PDA

View Full Version : Rental Car Advice Requested

rmorin49
03-24-2012, 07:56 PM
:confused:My wife and I will be traveling with another couple for 3 weeks. We will land in Frankfurt, spend a few days on the Rhine River(Boppard), followed by 2-3 nights in several other locations ending in Bad Reichenhall and then a week in Vicenza Italy, followed by 5 days in Munich. Flying back home from Munich.

Here are my options for a mid-size Estate(wagon):
Ford Mondeo
VW Passat
Opel Insignia

We will each have a large suitcase(28-30") plus a small carry on. None of us is particularly large, less than 200 lbs. and 6' tall).

Which vehicle, hopefully with a diesel, would provide the best combination of ride, handling, room and fuel mileage?

Thanks.:thumbup:

JSpira
03-25-2012, 07:12 PM
I've driven the Insignia and the Passat and, while both are very comfortable for four passengers, they are both smaller than the U.S. Passat (which is super roomy esp. in the rear) and I am really unsure if any can accomodate the four very large suitcases you mention, plus carry-one bags, plus food and other sundries.

I would probably specific a BMW 520d Touring (from Sixt), which will cost you roughly 6 euros per person per day more but will have more than enough room.

rmorin49
03-27-2012, 07:27 PM
I've driven the Insignia and the Passat and, while both are very comfortable for four passengers, they are both smaller than the U.S. Passat (which is super roomy esp. in the rear) and I am really unsure if any can accomodate the four very large suitcases you mention, plus carry-one bags, plus food and other sundries.

I would probably specific a BMW 520d Touring (from Sixt), which will cost you roughly 6 euros per person per day more but will have more than enough room.

I will look into this option but this would double the cost of the rental. Perhaps we will all pack lighter.:dunno:

I did find the cargo capacities of each car. The Passat has the largest at 600 litres with the Ford next and the Insignia has the smallest cargo capacity.

JSpira
03-27-2012, 09:12 PM
I did find the cargo capacities of each car. The Passat has the largest at 600 litres with the Ford next and the Insignia has the smallest cargo capacity.
Volume can be misleading. The "volume" that is there can sometimes be unuseable. Keep in mind people in the E.D. forum who have gone to the dealership with suitcases in hand to ensure they all fit.

Me530
03-28-2012, 04:46 AM
I drove a Mazda 5 around Europe with 4 passengers several years ago. It worked out really well and was a diesel to boot.

rmorin49
03-31-2012, 08:44 PM
Volume can be misleading. The "volume" that is there can sometimes be unuseable. Keep in mind people in the E.D. forum who have gone to the dealership with suitcases in hand to ensure they all fit.

Unfortunately, none of the estate cars available in Germany are sold in the US so we can't conduct a test fit. Based on some pictures I found online I think the Passat Variant will work. I have requested a diesel but they can't guarantee it.