BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Blower motor squeak

12K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  7ELEVEN 
#1 ·
Seeing if someone can help with this weird issue. when my car slows down starting at about 40 and coming to a stop there is a sound like the blower motor is squeaking. when i come to a complete stop it goes away, when i start to accelerate it starts up again. you can hear the squeak gets a little faster as i speed up and slower as i slow the car down. it happens with the system off. i have even removed the fuse and the same issue is there. i read on mitchell on demand that there is an auxiliary blower motor that does this. it says this blower will increase as rpm increases and decreases as the rpm's decrease. i cannot find the auxiliary blower motor anywhere. anyone have any ideas????
the noise is driving me nuts:mad::mad:

#2 ·
#13 ·
Thanks pkathee! I have this same problem being described and has been buggin the $/#* out of me. I turn the fan motor button off and it goes away... Glad to know this ia the fix. Hallelujah!!

Any crazy install problems that i should be aware of or is it pretty straight forward...how long would u say the change out takes?

Thanks

#4 ·
I dont know what you mean by Mitchell on demand. And i'm not sure what fuse you are removing.....

Anyway, listen. If you want to eradicate the cricket/ bird chirp noise coming from your blower motor, then you'll need to have it replaced. Condensation/ Moisture gets into the unit and it fails over time. Dont get a used one because it will not last too long either.

I just replaced mine about a couple of months ago. Noise is gone.

#5 ·
Mitchell on demand is a tool that auto shops uses to get info about every car out there. its also the manual used for book time when doing repairs. what fuse??? the blower motor fuse. the noise is still there. i am trying to see if the is an auxiliary blower motor like mitchell says

#6 ·
Forget about those auto shops tools. This is a BMW and it has a mind of its own that most third party diagnostic tools will not pick up.

Anyway, like I said. It is your blower motor. Pretty common issue. Do a search in here and you'll see.......

#8 ·
O.k....This is a little weird. Did you say that when you turn the fan speed with unplugged fuse, there is no air coming through the vent but the noise is still present?

#9 ·
yes. no power to the blower. fan speed all the way up. no air coming out. noise is still there. thats why i am wondering about this auxiliary blower motor that mitchell is talking about. before i had this issue when i started out from a stop with the fans blowing full blast you could hear the speed of the motor get faster as the car went faster. when u slowed down the air speed slowed down. almost like there is 2 blower motors. with the main one unplugged i get this noise.

#10 ·
Well, some cars have two fan motor blowers. One to regulate fan speed in the front while the second one for the rear climate control, if your 7 is equipped.....

That said, it seems like your issue lies somewhere else other than the fan motor blower that I mentioned in my earlier posts.

Are you sure it is coming from the Heating and Cooling vent system and not from the engine compartment?

#11 ·
its coming from under the pass side footwell area. goes up and down with engine speed. stops when car comes to a stop sign. but it does not do it all the time it is intermittent. sometimes i dont hear for 5 or 6 stops. sometimes at every stop. its killing me!!

#12 ·
The only fan blower under the passenger side footwell is the one I referenced already. Maybe, you can just try swapping it and see whether it will solve the issue. If you buy the blower from the dealer and it doesnt solve the issue, you can always return it. Just tell 'em that you bought a wrong item and you'll get the full refund....:thumbup:

#14 ·
Just a thought, the system is always returned to fresh air, meaning the faster you go the more air that maybe pushed thru the system. Next time try to put the system on re circulate and see if it still makes the noise.

Again just a thought.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

#21 ·
E-box = electronics box. It houses the DME and VANOS control units, the IVM (integrated voltage supply module), and has a little fan at the bottom of the box that ducts out to the passenger foot well.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Bimmer App

#25 ·
For others searching for the squealing ticking fan problems both my e-box and blower motor went bad about the same time. The symptoms below may help others troubleshoot.

The blower motor was making a ticking noise often (sounds like a leaf is stuck in the blower) when cooler out (about 40F and lower). When turning or braking the noise would come and go. When the car heats up the noise usually went away. Turning the blower speed up (or off) the noise often went away. I pulled mine apart, blew out the motor with compressed air and oiled the bearings. I noticed the motor turned harder than I'd expect too. I'll probably have to replace it but it's MUCH better now. It***8217;s an easy fix and takes about 30 minutes. I watched the video earlier in this post which worked well.

After fixing the blower motor I still heard a squealing noise (sounded like a bird) only when it was colder (under 40F) and it was very intermittent. It only happened when I started the car and lasted for 3-4 seconds. It could not be heard from outside the car. The noise was coming from under the dash on the passenger***8217;s side. If you pull off the black cover off under the passenger dash you'll see a 2" or so black tube on the firewall on the right side. I covered the hole with my hand and the noise mostly went away. This fan is the one in the electrical box and since this one looks harder to get to I'll probably just replace it instead of trying to do a short term fix. I***8217;ll also use the pictures of the process from earlier in the post.

Hopefully this will help some others narrow down which fan(s) are bad.

#26 ·
Carfan thanks so much. I've been wondering for a few days what was going on.
My symptoms are as you describe. 3-4 second squealing noise from the passenger footwell when the car is cold in the morning.
The blower motor I replaced recently and it did sound alot different.

One more thing to add to the list...

flash_n

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.