PDA

View Full Version : AT&T to unlock off-contract iPhones (report)

b-y
04-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Here is the link (http://www.slashgear.com/att-to-unlock-off-contract-iphones-starting-april-8-06221920), followed by the story:

AT&T to unlock off-contract iPhones starting April 8
Rue Liu, SLASH/GEAR, Apr 6th 2012

AT&T has announced today that it will start unlocking iPhones this Sunday, April 8, for customers that either purchased an iPhone off-contract or are now out-of-contract but in good standing. These customers can now request AT&T to unlock their iPhones if they want to switch to another GSM carrier or plan to use the device internationally.

AT&T posted the following statement:

“Beginning Sunday, April 8, we will offer qualifying customers the ability to unlock their AT&T iPhones. The only requirements are that a customer’s account must be in good standing, their device cannot be associated with a current and active term commitment on an AT&T customer account, and they need to have fulfilled their contract term, upgraded under one of our upgrade policies or paid an early termination fee.”

Unlocked AT&T iPhones will only work on other GSM carriers, which therefore rules out Verizon and Sprint. However, on T-Mobile the device is not officially supported and is limited to its slow 2G EDGE network data speeds for the time being.

AT&T’s decision to change its policy on unlocking iPhones reportedly comes after mounting complaints from customers and pressure from Apple.

cwsqbm
04-06-2012, 07:12 PM
So, AT&T will unlock the phone only because it won't work with anyone else in the USA?

b-y
04-06-2012, 08:43 PM
So, AT&T will unlock the phone only because it won't work with anyone else in the USA?

Don't believe everything you read, even from technology pundits. No GSM phone will work on Verizon or Sprint, so that is nothing new. With a new SIM card, it will work on T-mobile. (Hard to blame AT&T for T-mobile's weak technology.) It will also work on smaller, regional networks that use GSM....And Rogers in Canada.

And as this forum is primarily about ED, so the international ability to change SIM cards is news.

Andrew*Debbie
04-07-2012, 02:00 AM
My offer to mail a UK GiffGaff sim to 'festers for the cost of postage still stands. PM me for details.

X3 Skier
04-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Bought an unlocked iPhone 3Gs from Apple and use it on the local system, Cincinnati Bell.

They use T-Mobile so I only get edge speeds for data but the sync with my iPad and iPod and apps made it a good deal for me. Don't watch movies, etc on the tiny screen so the slower speed is not a big deal to me and updates and downloads using free wifi are sufficient.

Plan on using a Euro SIM next trips this summer and fall.

Cheers

Tanning machine
04-09-2012, 01:00 PM

People have been using unlocked iPhones on TMobile for a while, although the TMo data network is not so fast.

But this is big news for international travelers who could not previously use their iPhones with overseas SIMs.

(Granted, I'll be stuck with my 3GS . . .)