PDA

View Full Version : Adding Steptronic to 2002 E65

achiro
05-20-2004, 07:49 PM
I read it was possible to add steptronic to 2002 745i. My dealer says that they are looking into it and have not gotten back to me yet. Has anyone heard of this or had it completed? Right now I have two silver buttons with no function. :thumbdwn:

StepTronic retrofit:

Earlier US bound 7ers came without StepTronic (manual shifting) feature. Starting 2003, all 7ers have this feature. But for people with 2002 cars, not all is lost. Only a new style steering wheel (with StepTronic buttons) and reprogramming are needed.

One of our contributors have successfully performed this retrofit. The price was around $1,500, all work was done by the dealership and all parts were provided by them. So, those who want StepTronic, go make an appointment :)

Is this as easy as it sounds? :dunno:

Mr Paddle.Shift
05-22-2004, 10:41 AM
IIRC, early E65s have the steering buttons for downshifting only (or upshifting, can't remember which). The recent E65s have both up and down shift. Meaning that there are buttons on front and back of steering wheel. $1500 seems like a lot if you aren't buying a new wheel. Then again, dealers can always charge whatever they want.

faaslave
04-10-2011, 03:55 PM
I read it was possible to add steptronic to 2002 745i. My dealer says that they are looking into it and have not gotten back to me yet. Has anyone heard of this or had it completed? Right now I have two silver buttons with no function. :thumbdwn:

StepTronic retrofit:

Earlier US bound 7ers came without StepTronic (manual shifting) feature. Starting 2003, all 7ers have this feature. But for people with 2002 cars, not all is lost. Only a new style steering wheel (with StepTronic buttons) and reprogramming are needed.

One of our contributors have successfully performed this retrofit. The price was around $1,500, all work was done by the dealership and all parts were provided by them. So, those who want StepTronic, go make an appointment :)

Is this as easy as it sounds? :dunno:

I have this problem with my 2002 745i. Only downshifts.
My questions is Where and Who offers this retrofit?

RTGrove
04-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Not trying to sound like a jerk but are you sure that you dont have buttons on the back of the wheel? They are really easy to overlook if you arent specifically looking for them. Pretty stupid design actually. Also you need to switchinto "M" mode with the button on the right side of strg wheel above the colume control (it is marked something-S-M, with s being sport mode and m being manual)

TannerSV
04-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Not trying to sound like a jerk but are you sure that you dont have buttons on the back of the wheel? They are really easy to overlook if you arent specifically looking for them. Pretty stupid design actually. Also you need to switchinto "M" mode with the button on the right side of strg wheel above the colume control (it is marked something-S-M, with s being sport mode and m being manual)

LMAO!!!! Don't feel like a jerk! I totally did this, I was like man two buttons on the front, one must be upshift and one must be down like paddle shifters. Then after realizing they both downshifted I freaked out and checked the manual.....Turns out there is indeed two little buttons on the back. Yeah....I'm new at this...:confused:

MakaveliFaison
04-10-2011, 05:10 PM
02s have l/d on on the steering wheel instead of the smd. and only 2 buttons on the front. you have to get a steering wheel with the buttons on the back and add 202 to your vehicle order and do a little programming on the car to get it to work right. if i remember correctly you may have to run 1 more wire also.

USALEXUSBMW750
04-10-2011, 05:16 PM
i dont think he has two buttons on the back, upshift option i think starting from '05-06 correct me guys if i am wrong

MakaveliFaison
04-10-2011, 06:02 PM
i dont think he has two buttons on the back, upshift option i think starting from '05-06 correct me guys if i am wrong

thats what i just stated in my last post. he doesnt have the 2 buttons on the back. 03 and up do. if he wants to shift like the rest, he needs to get the steering wheel with the buttons on the back and have the retro fit coding to be done.

sirstopher
09-08-2012, 04:27 PM
More info please