PDA

View Full Version : I'd Like to Purchase a Global Phone

HWF
04-08-2012, 06:24 PM
My cell phone is a CDMA type, and cannot be used in Europe. I want a phone for emergency use only; if I never use it on my ED, that would be fine. I think my best bet is to purchase an inexpensive device with a global sim card, and pay on a per-call basis.

I saw the website for Mobal World Phone, and it appears to have what I want. I'm a little skittish about handing over a credit card number for them to bill me, without first hearing some favorable opinions.

Can anyone advise me as to whether this company and its product are reputable? Thanks.

gbarros
04-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Walk into a phone store in europe and plop down 20Euro for an unlocked GSM phone. Just buy a sim wherever you need one.

Asteroid
04-08-2012, 09:17 PM
My cell phone is a CDMA type, and cannot be used in Europe. I want a phone for emergency use only; if I never use it on my ED, that would be fine. I think my best bet is to purchase an inexpensive device with a global sim card, and pay on a per-call basis.

I saw the website for Mobal World Phone, and it appears to have what I want. I'm a little skittish about handing over a credit card number for them to bill me, without first hearing some favorable opinions.

Can anyone advise me as to whether this company and its product are reputable? Thanks.

Not answering your question here, but assuming you're a Verizon customer, there's Global Travel Program that says "no daily rental fees" and "no deposits". I haven't used it, but I'm assuming that you only pay for minutes you use. So if you only want for emergencies maybe it will cost you $0.

gbarros
04-09-2012, 06:44 AM
For the GLobal Travel Program to work reliably in countries other than the US you need a dual mode phone (CDMA & GSM) as CDMA isnt used much anywhere else :(

X3 Skier
04-09-2012, 07:45 AM
I got a cheapo GSM phone on eBay and buy a SIM whenever I need one. Cheapest solution I have found. SIMs and airtime are cheap "in country" but roaming can get more expensive.

"Global" or "Universal" SIMs or phones are seldom a good deal unless you want the same phone number wherever you are going.

Cheers

The Other Tom
04-09-2012, 09:14 AM
For the GLobal Travel Program to work reliably in countries other than the US you need a dual mode phone (CDMA & GSM) as CDMA isnt used much anywhere else :(
I believe the Global Traveler Program is where Verizon will loan you a phone, free of charge, that will work in the countries you plan to travel. The advantage is that you get to keep your current phone number.

Tanning machine
04-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Walk into a phone store in europe and plop down 20Euro for an unlocked GSM phone. Just buy a sim wherever you need one.

+1. Or buy one here from reputable online vendors. they all come with the basic features you're likely to need.

HWF
04-09-2012, 03:04 PM
I believe the Global Traveler Program is where Verizon will loan you a phone, free of charge, that will work in the countries you plan to travel. The advantage is that you get to keep your current phone number.

I'm the OP. Here's the deal with Verizon, which I just signed up for. There's a $19.99 monthly rental. On top of that, there's a $0.99 per minute charge for voice calls while travelling in Europe. They send the new Phone within 2 business days. It will have my current cell phone number. When I receive it, I should turn off my current cell phone and start using the new phone. Any calls I make/receive while still in the US will be billed at the same rate (based on the current plan) as I am currently paying. The kit will come with a prepaid FedEx mailing envelope for returning the phone within a month. Sounds like a very reasonable arrangement.

gbarros
04-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Thats pretty cool! Great deal for keeping your number while abroad. Does it include data? Would be awesome to have a hotspot feature too.

HWF
04-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Thats pretty cool! Great deal for keeping your number while abroad. Does it include data? Would be awesome to have a hotspot feature too.

I don't know about data, because my current phone is not a smartphone.

josh_b
04-09-2012, 08:20 PM
No, it does not include data, data can be purchased separately in blocks up to 300mb (125$) . Also if you have a vzw world capable phone like a droid incredible 2,if have an account in good standing they will unlock it for you to use any sim card..
Best solution for data is to use a local sim wherever you are or rent a wifi hot spot from xcom global (I did the latter, worked great -15$/day

Andrew*Debbie
04-12-2012, 09:24 AM
For Verizon customers traveling to the UK, it could be much cheaper to buy an unlocked GSM phone and use a GiffGaff sim.

GG charges 10p per minute to call US or UK landlines. Incoming calls are free. Data on the base plan is 20p for the first 20mb per day. If you use a LOT of data, you can get a month of unlimited internet and 400 minutes for 15.00

GG roaming in Europe is 35p per minute but honestly you are better off getting a local sim for whatever country you are in.