PDA

View Full Version : Prospective X5 Buyer - One Nagging Question

infowarrior
05-22-2004, 09:18 AM
Greetings -

I am drooling over the X5 (like the X3, but it's just got a few quirks I didn't like) and may be buying one in the near future.

The brochure says BMW recommends (requires?) Premium fuel. With gas prices now topping $2/gallon for regular, and much more for Premium, is there any major problem with using regular gas in the X5 aside from perhaps getting a bit less mpg?

Thanks for any info/advice/discussion. I'm really looking forward to joining the BMW family!

-rick
infowarrior.org

Clarke
05-22-2004, 09:36 AM
The anti knock sensor will retard the timing and you will lose performance.Why do this for at most 3 or 4 dollars difference a tankfull?I'm sorry but I just don't understand the rational.:dunno: ---ps If you get one have fun and enjoy!

Emission
05-22-2004, 05:28 PM
If you are spending $45,000.00+ for a vehicle, I don't think you should be concerned with $3.00 per tank. It's the price of entry.

Most high-end vehicles run better on 91, so that's what they get.

AndDown
05-23-2004, 01:25 PM
All current BMW's use premium gas, AFAIK. I get my fuel from Costco and their premium price is just a little more than what most gas stations charge for regular gas. I figure it's worth the slightly extra cost to enjoy driving my Bimmers!

neuownr
05-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Just bought my X5. Dealer said for the first 1200 miles use premium, after that its your choice. No mention of decreased performance from them.

Emission
05-23-2004, 11:37 PM
Just bought my X5. Dealer said for the first 1200 miles use premium, after that its your choice. No mention of decreased performance from them.

Congrats on the new X5.

The dealer doesn't know what they are talking about:

Lower octane will cause pre-ignition. The engine is smart enough to realize this (anti-knock sensor) and it will retard the engine = less power. Basic automotive science as the engine is designed for 91 octane min.

Patrick330i
05-24-2004, 12:00 AM
All current BMW's use premium gas, AFAIK. I get my fuel from Costco and their premium price is just a little more than what most gas stations charge for regular gas. I figure it's worth the slightly extra cost to enjoy driving my Bimmers!

How much are you paying? One of the biggest problems with Costco is the ****ing line. It just doesn't seem to be that convenient, but they do have better prices than most places.

neuownr
05-26-2004, 07:44 PM
Ok, so the dealer doesnt know anything. Anyone know what will happen with the knock sensor if I alternate between premium and regular or middle grade gas? Will that just confuse the computer or will the performance be ok?

Emission
05-26-2004, 08:08 PM
Ok, so the dealer doesnt know anything. Anyone know what will happen with the knock sensor if I alternate between premium and regular or middle grade gas? Will that just confuse the computer or will the performance be ok?

The car will accept 87 octane and run just fine. Performance will be reduced (and this includes fuel economy).

You may get 10-15% worse gas mileage - effectively cancelling out your savings on fuel cost.

BMWNA
06-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Iím with BMW of North America, LLC. Gasoline is expected to fulfill many requirements to guarantee the desired operating conditions during all environmental and driving conditions.

All current BMW gasoline models have a requirement of premium unleaded gasoline, with a minimum octane rating of at least 91.

Minimum octane rating corresponds to the Anti Knock Index (AKI). The anti-knock value is the quality rating for gasoline and is required for controlled combustion. Anti-knock value is expressed with an octane number. A higher number indicates better anti-knock properties of a gasoline.

Field experience has indicated significant differences in fuel quality: volatility, composition, additives, etc., among different gasoline brands in the United States and Canada.

The use of poor-quality fuels or fuels with lower octane rating than required may result in drivability, starting and stalling problems especially under certain environmental conditions such as high ambient temperature and high altitude.

If you have any more questions regarding the fuel requirements for BMW vehicles, feel free to call BMW Customer Relations at 800-831-1117 and mention Reference # 200415400245 so that we can help you more efficiently.

Emission
06-02-2004, 11:22 AM
Iím with BMW of North America, LLC. Gasoline is expected to fulfill many requirements to guarantee the desired operating conditions during all environmental and driving conditions.

All current BMW gasoline models have a requirement of premium unleaded gasoline, with a minimum octane rating of at least 91.

Minimum octane rating corresponds to the Anti Knock Index (AKI). The anti-knock value is the quality rating for gasoline and is required for controlled combustion. Anti-knock value is expressed with an octane number. A higher number indicates better anti-knock properties of a gasoline.

Field experience has indicated significant differences in fuel quality: volatility, composition, additives, etc., among different gasoline brands in the United States and Canada.

The use of poor-quality fuels or fuels with lower octane rating than required may result in drivability, starting and stalling problems especially under certain environmental conditions such as high ambient temperature and high altitude.

If you have any more questions regarding the fuel requirements for BMW vehicles, feel free to call BMW Customer Relations at 800-831-1117 and mention Reference # 200415400245 so that we can help you more efficiently.

Oz has spoken. :thumbup:

LeucX3
06-02-2004, 01:06 PM
Try this:

https://www.chasecreditcard.com/Templates/perfect/Splash6.asp?target=perfect&creative=x30pct31