PDA

View Full Version : How NOT to wait on lines when traveling

JSpira
04-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Inspired by the amount of time I've saved in the past 12 months since joining Global Entry (8 entries, average wait time, zero for Global Entry Kiosk versus what was probably 15-45 minutes waittime on regular lines), I wrote an article covering various things passengers can do to NOT wait on line (if we could do this at supermarkets, I'd buy the supermarket version of Global Entry or at least vie for Executive Plat there by the way).

I cover PreCheck, Global Entry, online check-in, and the various airline and airport (and third party) services that get you through without a wait.

No More Lines: How to Save (Significant) Time At the Airport (http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2012/04/no-more-lines-how-to-save-significant-time-at-the-airport/)

Letís face it. Few people like waiting in lines and Iím more impatient about lines than most. But one of the realities of air travel has been lines. Lines for check-in, lines for security checkpoints, and lines for passport control. (For that matter Iím not a fan of supermarket lines either, and it drives my partner crazy when I look around for the Executive Platinum line at the local market.)

Early in 2011, I vowed to minimize the amount of time I spent waiting in lines and I am able to report that I have been rather successful in this quest.Ö
Read the full story Ľ (http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2012/04/no-more-lines-how-to-save-significant-time-at-the-airport/)

http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/DSC_0749-300x199.jpg

X3 Skier
04-22-2012, 12:06 PM
I joined Global Entry last year. I even made a special trip to Atlanta for the interview and processing.

In the four trips using it last year, it was a breeze. I agree it is well worth it. In fact, it has allowed me to twice make an earlier connection that was impossible given the regular lines at ATL. I have not used it at other airports.

I have no clue how to get the Pre-check with either GE or as a Gold Medallion on Delta and a Gold on AA.

Cheers

JSpira
04-22-2012, 12:14 PM
I have no clue how to get the Pre-check with either GE or as a Gold Medallion on Delta and a Gold on AA.

Cheers
That's simple. On your Delta and AA profiles, there is a space to insert your Global Entry number. Simply enter it there.

X3 Skier
04-22-2012, 12:24 PM
That's simple. On your Delta and AA profiles, there is a space to insert your Global Entry number. Simply enter it there.

Thanks, will do.

Actually, I had done that and forgotten that I had. :rolleyes:

Just have not originated at one of the precheck airports so that's why I have not used it or noticed.

Cheers

Me530
04-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Just last week the wait at O'Hare to get to immigration was 2 hours- they had 2 people working the US citizen line and 2 people working the non-citizen line. I wonder how many people signed up for Global Entry that day...

VIZSLA
04-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the heads up.
We applied today and may I add two points.
1, do it early, they're saying 4 to 6 weeks turnaround.
2, if you're looking for the Amex refund be advised that they will refund one fee per card. Not per account. If you have two people on the same account they need to pay with their individual cards to both qualify.

VIZSLA
05-05-2012, 06:06 AM
Update.
Amex credited the refunds automatically and almost imediately.
The confirmation E Mails came this week. A faster turnaround than expected.
Unfortunately there are no appointment slots before we leave in two weeks.