PDA

View Full Version : Read this before buying a Swiss watch

b-y
04-27-2012, 06:16 PM
From today's NY Times:

How Swiss Does a Swiss Watch Have to Be?
By RAPHAEL MINDER
Published: April 27, 2012

BASEL, SWITZERLAND ***8212; In case anyone doubts that its watches are Swiss, the maker, Swiss Mountaineer, emblazons Switzerland***8217;s national flag on the dial of each timepiece.

Does it matter that while the movements are Swiss, all the watches***8217; other components are made by 300 laborers at a factory in Shenzhen, China? Or that Swiss Mountaineer is owned by a Hong Kong company called Golden Hawk?

Under Swiss rules that are as precise as its clockworks, Golden Hawk is entitled to label its watches Swiss-made because the rules require only that at least 50 percent of the value of the movement come from Switzerland.

But as part of a burgeoning national ***8220;Swissness***8221; movement, the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry and its most powerful member, Swatch Group, are on a crusade. They want to tighten the labeling requirements, which they see as necessary for protecting the value and reputation of an industry that is a pillar of the Swiss economy.

Full story here (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/28/business/global/swiss-watch-industry-seeks-to-tighten-requirements.html?_r=1&hpw).

Blauanzug
04-30-2012, 05:18 PM
From today's NY Times:

How Swiss Does a Swiss Watch Have to Be?
By RAPHAEL MINDER
Published: April 27, 2012

BASEL, SWITZERLAND - In case anyone doubts that its watches are Swiss, the maker, Swiss Mountaineer, emblazons Switzerland's national flag on the dial of each timepiece.

Does it matter that while the movements are Swiss, all the watches' other components are made by 300 laborers at a factory in Shenzhen, China? Or that Swiss Mountaineer is owned by a Hong Kong company called Golden Hawk?

Under Swiss rules that are as precise as its clockworks, Golden Hawk is entitled to label its watches Swiss-made because the rules require only that at least 50 percent of the value of the movement come from Switzerland.

But as part of a burgeoning national "Swissness" movement, the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry and its most powerful member, Swatch Group, are on a crusade. They want to tighten the labeling requirements, which they see as necessary for protecting the value and reputation of an industry that is a pillar of the Swiss economy.

Full story here (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/28/business/global/swiss-watch-industry-seeks-to-tighten-requirements.html?_r=1&hpw).

:thumbup::thumbup:
It is so wrong to call something Swiss made when it has just 50% swiss components. It sickens me....and it is even less than 50% swiss only 50% of the movement is Swiss. Ewww.: puke:

skywalkerbeth
05-03-2012, 05:44 AM
And how do you know if your watch IS fully Swiss or not?

I have a Baume and Mercier Diamant that is 6 yrs old. Would it be fully Swiss?

b-y
05-03-2012, 09:08 AM
And how do you know if your watch IS fully Swiss or not?

I have a Baume and Mercier Diamant that is 6 yrs old. Would it be fully Swiss?

I also have a Baume and Mercier (a Riviera). I don't think there is any issue with any of the old-line brands. Their reputations are key to their business , so they are not willing to risk doing anything that might cheapen the brand.

alex md
05-13-2012, 05:23 PM
some of the very high-end watches/PP,AP,VC, IWC, / are 100% Swiss even more specific so-called manufacture maid
it is less clear with mid-range/B&M is oe of those/ they still swiss, but % varies from model to model/mechanical vs quartz etc/
Alex